Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Ramos posted:

Well, the general idea isn't to completely seal the other person out of the game but to keep things moving slow enough that you have no competition for getting Venser and whatever other super buddies to ultimate.

I've been working with this, and while I admittedly haven't tried Stasis, I think I prefer Standstill backed by the control suite that's available (Counterspell, Swords, Wrath), particularly because Venser can lift the standstill on your turns.

As for WW, I think control just has too many goodies for it to really compete; in my games against Procrastinator this morning, There was a world of difference between playing against his Reanimator compared to the decks without counterspells in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I refuse to believe that I've hit on the optimal version of this archetype (because I am not a particularly good deckbuilder), and I'd love to see more discussion in here, so I'm gonna toss out Artificers United to you guys (You can't keep me from giving my decks stupid names here, Wizards!)

Deck: Artificers United

Display deck statistics

I started my journey when I saw Braids in the card pool. "Awesome!" I said, "I'll make a prison deck!". Then I realized I had no Crucible or Smokestack. "But hey, I've got Stasis and Winter Orb!" I then realized that I didn't have a good way to tap creatures down. "Well, there's Standstill, I guess, but I don't have manl-wait, yes I do." And so, I wound up in Esper control, with artifacts.

Really, this is kind of what I imagine the basic framework of control decks in this format is going to be--Swords, Wraths, and Counterspells. What I've done with this isn't particularly special, and has very definite room for improvement that I'm not quite good enough to make. I haven't faced a lot of the Infect decks in the format, which has probably made this list a little inbred. Wrath could just be too slow, especially because it's fairly easy for Infect to not commit more than one creature to the board, or to be winning with an Inkmoth Nexus. Still, having access to Swords goes a long way to making this look better than it probably is.

The win conditions are mostly the Planeswalker suite, with a couple other options than can be Wished out of the sideboard. Karn is pretty much just Karn, but it's worth mentioning that Venser can reset the mana rocks that stay tapped, the other planeswalkers, Tumble Magnet when it runs empty, and most importantly Standstill so that you can still cast spells. Tezzeret isn't quite as tricksy, but he still provides card advantage as well as an excellent clock.

The Wish Suite is pretty a bit of everything, though I'm really doubting my crappy Pseudo-moat that I've never actually sided in or Wished for, and it means I don't really have an actual sideboard sideboard. Tumble Magnet is a lot better than it looks at first; it turns off mana rocks and slows down Infect pretty well.

Now please, go ahead and tear my deck to shreds.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I've seen it done, seems reasonable albeit a bit vulnerable. Also, decks sent.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 Ramus

Drew what I needed, and his deck decided to just poop out on him. Fun games, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 Ranmilia

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 JooSiBi / 2SiBi

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 Namagem

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 BabylonAstronaut

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 1 Oxybeles

Some seriously close games, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Having proven my credentials in stumbling into great decks, I give you a deck that has put up decent results against a Jund deck, another Jund deck, and an Eggs deck that failed to go off 4 times in a row:

Deck: Solar Exalted

The solar part refers to Sunpetal Grove and the other WG land and is totally not just a way to make the deck name sound cooler why do you ask

It's pretty simple, really: play exalted dudes, beat face with exalted dudes. Noble Hierarch jumps you ahead, the two-drops are either evasive or resilient to removal (or sometimes both), Dauntless Vanguard gives some cover against removal, and all of the four-mana cards can produce some really explosive finishes. It's a fun deck!

• Locked thread