Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Where are we planning on playing the matches?

I've come up with a couple decks for the September format, although they're less original than one might think.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BagOfDucks posted:

I always want to see Muscle Burst serve utility, but I never feel like I get the full value out of it. I think an agressive infect definitely helps curve that, with Reckless Charge providing another highly effective pump.

Are we sharing decklists? Well here's one I tossed together on the weekend.
http://deckstats.net/deck-4849977-a0a1e1dfa7866cec31a0f84c98b934a6.html

Huh. My U/G version also uses Muscle Burst, but I hadn't thought to include Rancor or Diligent Farmhand.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ramos posted:

Deck: Phoenix Eggs

//Blue
4 Careful Study
1 Gitaxian Probe
4 Riddlesmith

//Red
3 Burning Wish
2 Kuldotha Phoenix
4 Red Elemental Blast
3 Scrapyard Salvo

//Colorless
4 Darkwater Egg
1 Mana Vault
4 Mossfire Egg
4 Mox Opal
4 Shadowblood Egg
4 Skycloud Egg
1 Sol Ring
4 Sungrass Egg

//Lands
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 Mountain
4 Plateau
3 Tundra
4 Volcanic Island

//Sideboard
4 Burn the Impure
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Whipflare
1 Balance
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Scrapyard Salvo

Display deck statistics

Okay, so people have been asking about my Eggs deck, so I figured I'd do a primer about it. This is mostly here because I'm rather discontent with the deck. While it's certainly cool and unique, it's hard to get it measuring up to what I need exactly, but more about that in the primer proper.

So what does it do?

It plays a variety of one to two cost spells in order to dig through your library as fast as possible while being relatively immune to the typical control tools. Counter an egg? Oh dear me. I'll just play these two others in my hand.

This is all to grab you two particular cards in this deck: Scrapyard Salvo and Kuldotha Phoenix. The former is a low cost, high impact spell to hit the other person for lethal amounts of damage. Getting to twenty is not uncommon. The latter is an uncounterable, hasty creature that you can easily recur and has really only one commonly used answer to.

How do I play it?

You unload your hand as fast as possible and start drawing again. This means playing a bunch of one cost eggs, cracking them for two mana, and likely playing down two more eggs once you're done drawing.

The most critical part of the game is the opening hand as you'll notice, this deck only has thirteen lands. While the Mox Opals alleviate this problem a bit, you're only going to hit your third and fourth land drop off of egg comboing. You'll find after you hit the fourth land, you're going to end up pitching the rest to various looting tools you have at your disposal since too many clog up the nice draw you got going on.

From there, you two main cards that help you start and continue the combo: Riddlesmith and Careful Study. Even in the late game, you'll likely start pitching Careful Study too. Either way, if you can, play those as soon as you can and start digging even faster. It's not essential to play every egg, just that you get enough artifacts in your graveyard. From there, every Salvo becomes lethal, every Phoenix becomes easily playable. Do note though, it's alright to fire off a Salvo for 9 or something. Having 11 artifacts in the graveyard and two more Salvos in the deck isn't exactly unlikely and may often be a good idea against aggressive decks where you don't have leisure time.

Oh god, there's someone else on the other side of the table!

The main board of this deck is made to handle control players. As you'll notice, I have Red Elemental Blasts. You'll typically want to hold onto one or two of these when you go to fling a Salvo at the opponent. With proper patience, you can often find a critical moment where all you need is one spell while their guard is down. The Phoenix serves as an alternate path to victory and a way of softening them up.

Okay, my opponent doesn't play blue though.

Welcome to the second game, sideboard out those Red Elemental Blasts. As you'll notice, I already have a sideboard. Keep all of the singletons in, you'll get those with Burning Wish anyway. Tormod's Crypt screws over Reanimator while also being Salvo fuel, Whipeflare kills a large number of aggressive strategies, and Burn the Impure shortens the clock and staves off infect.

Balance is typically wished for to be a cheap way to wipe creatures while Wheel of Fortune is there to refresh your hand against control players. The Salvo is just redundancy.

What you don't have to worry about ever is monoblack since you draw at your leisure, making most discard effects shrug worthy at best and you don't have enough creatures to care about kill spells either.

So what's the glaring weakness?

These guys. While balance deals with them to an extent, they can effectively out race you by dumb beatings and get around 99% of your removal. So what do you play to stop them? That's a good question, I haven't a clue, the deck is already tight on resources.

Where are there changes to be made?

The Red Elemental Blast is arguably not the best tool in its spot. The other critical card is Overmaster, which not only cantrips, but forces it to be answered instead of the Salvo. With Power Sink in the meta, this is questionable though.

Slagstorm can also work in place of some of my answer cards, but as you'll notice, the Phyrexian Crusader still gets through and puts you on a tight clock.

The Embersmith is arguably a powerful card that can put into the deck for constant pings to both troublesome creatures and the opponent. With twenty one mana eggs, it's easy to get him rolling. Still doesn't deal with the Phyrexian Crusader.

What doesn't work?

Furnace Celebration. The egg is long gone by the time you get the mana to pay for the two damage. Trust me, I've tried working around the rule timing and then cried about it.

So would I want to play it?

You like to actively race. You enjoy general Izzet draw and discard sort of strategies. You like having big, boomy win conditions. You like counting to twenty. You might also enjoy number crunching because if this deck is to be good, you're probably going to want to be able to count cards while also counting mana. It runs off a lot of percentages as far as what you'll draw into.

It's a thrilling deck to play, to say the least.

Looks interesting. I'll have to try it out some time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've also sent my deck.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Lord of Hats just beat me 2-0 as well.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
1-1-1 against Null1fy so far, planning to resume later.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Beat Ramus 2-1.

Edit: And lost 1-2 to Ranmilla.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 28, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Revised in general has a lot of stupidly good stuff. In addition to the duals and restricted cards, there's Animate Dead, Armageddon, and Dark Ritual.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Won 2-0 against Namagem.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Won 2-0 against Jonked.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Lost 1-2 to AATREK CURES KIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195