Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I've submitted my deck, and won 2-0 against Babylon Astronaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Ran 2-0 Namagem

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Ran 2-0 JooSiBi / 2SiBi

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
2-1 victory for me over Ramus.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
and doubleposting for the 2-0 win over Jonked.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I am victorious 2-1 over Silver2195.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I have prevailed 2-0 over Asymmetrikon.

And yes, there surely will be! October 4 I believe is when we said we're cutting this one off? I think we're down to waiting for a couple of stragglers to appear and run the gauntlet at this point.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
PPL Tempered Steel

//Lands
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Plains
4 Savannah
4 Scrubland
4 Tundra

//Spells
3 Armageddon
4 Dispatch
4 Glint Hawk Idol
3 Mox Opal
3 Origin Spellbomb
1 Sol Ring
4 Tempered Steel

//Creatures
3 Blade Splicer
4 Leonin Relic-Warder
4 Memnite
2 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
1 Vault Skirge

//Sideboard
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Revoke Existence
2 Hero of Bladehold
1 Armageddon
1 Balance
4 Mental Misstep
1 Swords to Plowshares

Display deck statistics

So here are the goodies I've been playing. I like the deck and all the cards, though some of the numbers are certainly off, maybe some Missteps should be maindeck, etc etc. The basis of the list came from simply looking up Scars block constructed results, taking LSV's list and then making a few alterations. Kinda surprised I'm the only one playing it, I would have thought that block lists would be a natural starting point for people, but instead I've felt like this deck was barely on anyone's radar going in.

Revised brings Sol Ring and Armageddon, which I put in over Hero of Bladehold as a 4 mana backbreaker, plus the almighty Ornithopter to speed up metalcraft draws and give that authentic Affinity feeling. M13 provides Ajani in the board vs control or other creature decks. Odyssey block provides... stone nothing. There are 0 artifacts in Torment and Judgment and none of note in Odyssey, and the white cards from the block aren't particularly interesting when metalcraft and Swords to Plowshares options are floating around. I tested Pianna, Nomad Captain and a couple others that seemed interesting, but not working with Tempered Steel was just too much of a drawback.

Mox Opal is absurd with the new legend rule and I regret not playing 4. Metalcraft in general is very easy for this deck to turn on, hence Dispatch over StP. (Also, the most common targets are Blightsteel Colossus, Wurmcoil Engine, Batterskull germs and various reanimated praetors, where the lifegain from StP would be very relevant.)

Leonin Relic-Warder in the maindeck does not get buffed by Tempered Steel, but is still an all-star when the format's full of Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Animate Dead, Wurmcoil, Batterskull, Shrine of Burning Rage, possibly other Tempered Steel decks, and so forth. In fact, there are so many priority targets, and so many decks that just fold if you can hit their big finisher, that all those Revoke Existences in the board often come in as well. For extra bonus fun points, playing a Relic-Warder into an Animate Deaded Elesh Norn does the perma-exile trick automatically! ... but on the other hand, the body's gotten so little use for me that I think it might have been better to swap the Revokes to the maindeck slots.

Mental Misstep in the sideboard used to be some things like Mutagenic Growth and Contested War Zone, but it turns out this format is very heavily packed around gamebreaking 1 mana spells and Misstep is in fact That Good. As said earlier, it's very possible some of them should be maindeck (although I don't expect that to remain true after Revised rotates out).

Origin Spellbomb is a card I initially leaned towards cutting, but after some tests, the card draw and partial wrath resilience proved more valuable than I first thought. It's still kind of clunky, though.

Glint Hawk Idol looks very funny, but is actually one of the cores of the deck and one of the best cards, without question. Getting it online is never a problem, it flies and packs a punch, dodges sorcery speed removal, hides from Balance, eats opposing Inkmoths... just does it all. Having one or two Idols in play is strongly correlated with winning the game.

Inkmoth Nexus is also amazing, as I've found myself winning with poison as much or more than with regular damage. For others playing the deck, keep in mind that it can be very worthwhile to activate and get a 1 poison hit in early, so that 3 hits of Tempered Steel poison can be lethal.

Tempered Steel is of course the actual best card in the deck, and the one card that absolutely must resolve if possible. Solutions to very common sequencing dilemmas, learned at the cost of some games:
- 3 mana this turn, 4 mana next turn, Armageddon and Tempered Steel in hand, and the opponent obviously has Counterspell up? Wait a turn and Armageddon first. Don't let Steel get countered.
- 3 mana, the coast is clear, and you have the choice between Blade Splicer and Tempered Steel? Get the Steel down first.

If Scars does not rotate out, I think this is definitely a deck for people to look at going forward. It's very strong, very resilient, and loses relatively little from rotation. Hero of Bladehold can come right back on in as the curve topper, everyone else loses their Sol Ring starts but this deck keeps its Mox Opal starts, and any other changes will just be improvements.

Edit: Of course right after I post this, we do rotation and Scars is gone, haha.

Ranpire fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 29, 2014

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
AATREK CURES KIDS is here! I beat him 2-0, albeit in rather narrow games. Good times!

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Definitely interested (pretty much any evening, too).

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
2-0 over Jonked, thanks to double Thragtusk comebacks.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
And a 2-0 over Oxybeles.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
2-1 win for me over Joosibi/2Sibi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Deck: PPL Jund

//Lands
2 Dragonskull Summit
3 Exotic Orchard
5 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Savage Lands
2 Swamp

//Spells
2 Farseek
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Lightning Strike
4 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Terminate

//Creatures
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Putrid Leech
4 Thragtusk
3 Thundermaw Hellkite

//Sideboard
3 Duress
2 Chainer's Edict
4 Jund Charm
3 Reclamation Sage
3 Skeletal Scrying

Display deck statistics

It's Jund! Everyone try and act surprised. It appears to have won the month, barring a last minute Ramus sweep (he's lost internet, unfortunately). Most of the list is based on the Rabble Jund list Orange Fluffy Sheep posted earlier, but I made a few tweaks.

Rabblemaster: Down to 2. It's a good card but I don't think it's that great in the format. All the commonly played removal smashes it, especially Infest and Jund Charm, opposing Putrid Leech blocks it profitably, and so on. The games bore this out, there weren't many times I specifically wanted a Rabblemaster in play compared to another threat. That said, it was still serviceable and filled the 3 drop slot.

Thragtusk: Up to 4 maindeck and never regretted it. Always the best possible card, I can't say enough good things about it. The lifegain pulled me out of the fire multiple times, including a comeback from one life. There was also a game I kept 3 Thragtusk/3 land/Hierarch, drew no other early action, and won easily because multiple Thragtusks are in fact that good.

Noble Hierarch: Definitely better than Elvish Mystic. Exalted played a very large role in the Jund mirrors, whether it was getting a Thragtusk past an opposing Beast, letting Hierarch attack into Mystic, or swinging a Thundermaw for 7 in the air to win.

Thundermaw Hellkite: Not as good as Thragtusk, but still a premier big-ticket finisher. Ended every game it resolved, either immediately or by providing a decisive life swing and taking a removal spell.

Putrid Leech: 2 mana 4/4, A++ would play again. Favorable vs other creatures, and unlike Rabblemaster is big enough to demand a hard removal spell. Honestly felt like this and Rabblemaster should swap mana costs by their relative value to the deck.

Garruk, Primal Hunter
: The other trump card. Nine maindeck 5-drops might seem excessive at a glance, but going over the top is so important in this format that I like them all. Garruk proved very hard for opponents to deal with and went ultimate twice. Only Maelstrom Pulse kills him and even then he's made a beast. Or he could be cashed in for a lot of cards with a Putrid Leech or Thragtusk in play, although I never actually did that.

Exotic Orchard and other lands, and not playing Ancient Ziggurat or Urborg: So, Putrid Leech and Terminate on two into GGGarruk and RR Thundermaws on five puts a bit of a strain on the manabase. Tapped lands are bad, and Ziggurat can't play Maelstrom Pulse, Terminate and Garruk. I wanted to try for an edge here and Orchard definitely delivered. Cheating off of the opponent's manabase is fun and very profitable! Other people playing Urborg and fixing me, and/or getting colorscrewed themselves, happened quite a bit, but this deck never had color issues and got to keep the taplands to a minimum. I'm sure this isn't the optimal manabase, but it seems pretty good.

Sideboard...?: Skeletal Scrying is the other secret tech card in the list. It's bad to cascade into, but amazing at breaking parity when hardcast in slower matchups. I didn't find myself needing the sideboard much in general, though, only siding in some Duress and Skeletal Scrying against the control decks. It's possible there should be more walkers in there, maybe more Rabblemasters, but generally I just found myself liking the maindeck a ton.

Farseek was the most common card to board out, and flood was largely responsible for the games I lost, so despite the high number of 5-drops I wonder if the Farseeks should even be in the deck to begin with. In general this deck and this format felt very "go over" rather than "go under;" the player with the most and best haymakers won, with Thragtusk in particular pulling people's butts out of the fire if they had a slow start.

• Locked thread