Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Sudden death without other symptoms is possible, but for it to happen to both is pretty rare.
Part of me wants to know, but the other part is going why bother. A very local cremation place opens in about an hour. I called them up at midnight sobbing and a dude who didn't sound too annoyed at waking him up said I could bring them in today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Sorry for your loss. Sounds more like a chemical problem than disease, though, like they got into something poisonous.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Every time I start to think about getting ferrets again, I just come back to these threads and remind myself why I should not.

What happened to yours is super sad though, I hope you're coping ok. Like Glyph just said though, something had to hit them at the same time for them to die at the same time; illnesses would be very unlikely. It could be poisoning from the food, and there have been a bunch of recalls over the last couple years for stuff we used to use, like EVO kitten/ferret. Also, if your place got super hot that could do it. I know ours got super uncomfortable over 80 degrees F, no idea how well they handle anything warmer than that.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'm doing okay as long as I don't think about it too much. Isn't a heat thing. It has been way under normal temps the past week with highs in the 50s. Vet emailed me and wondered if it might have been CO poisoning, but my alarms haven't gone off and the herps haven't been affected at all.

You may be on to something with the food. I had just opened a new bag of Chicken Soup for Kittens and they were both chowing down on Carnivore Care. One because I needed weight on him and the other because he'd eat just about anything that sorta kinda tastes like meat. Maybe we'll hear about a recall in the next few weeks. :/

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 24, 2015

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Cless Alvein - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Two at one is especially tragic.

In an effort to cheer up the thread a little bit, have a mildly amusing anecdote and unrelated picture.

I was recently caught searching on "ferret weight gain" by one of our IT guys at work. I expected to be chastised, but instead he asked if I had a fat ferret. When I said yes, his response was "Maybe she has to poop. Giver her some fiber." This has turned into us accusing her of having to poop whenever she waddles around and telling her we're going to give her pumpkin. (I'm pretty sure its just that she's finishing filling out as she's about a year and a half old and had always been on the slender side of slinky)

Right now we're visiting family on the opposite coast, and my friend the ferret sitter sent us this pic, titled "Attack Ferrets".

Artemis v. Tristan in the fight to end all fights. I think Tristan might be winning.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Maully Millions posted:

Artemis v. Tristan in the fight to end all fights. I think Tristan might be winning.

Sooo, how did they take that photo if their hands are full of frt?

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sooo, how did they take that photo if their hands are full of frt?

Her girlfriend was managing the pit fight while she documented the horror.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Maully Millions posted:

Her girlfriend was managing the pit fight while she documented the horror.

drat, cyborg pet sitting is still not a reality.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
For thread cheering:

We took Tifa along on a weekend excursion and she hit that pose in her travel cage. The trip wasn't good for us or her, she's finally recovering from the stress of it.

Oh yeah, she tried to jump in the shower with me yesterday.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Oh yeah, she tried to jump in the shower with me yesterday.

She gots to get that delicious people soup!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Maully Millions posted:

She gots to get that delicious people soup!

Water that is not from the bowl is the best water. Unattended cups, splashes on the floor, bath water...

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
They absolutely hated the shower, but enjoyed licking my legs after I got out. Derp also enjoyed trying to drink my tea which is totally what a ferret needs caffeine and stevia.\

Edit:They also really enjoyed drinking for the dogs bowl and Herp eating the dog food. Especially if the dog who wished to murder them was on the other side of the baby gate hate staring at these small creatures stealing her poo poo.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 30, 2015

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Serella posted:

Water that is not from the bowl is the best water. Unattended cups, splashes on the floor, bath water...

Especially that glass on the nightstand with less than a quarter inch of water in it, which somehow turns into a giant splash zone on my side of the bed once its overturned. Every goddamn time I forget about it.

Also, I've been thinking about cyborg petsitting, and I'm pretty sure it wont catch on with ferrets because they would steal the charger cord or any other necessary accessories. They're just too dangerous to the mission.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I did what the topic said. I got them to stop biting me (nibbling is fine) after about 2 days, and day 3 they didn't have a single non-litterbox turdpile to clean up. I think I just stumbled on a really good pair of catsnakes.

e: As soon as I posted that the much larger female just ran across the room with her kong toy and ran right into a step :stoat:

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Marxalot posted:

I did what the topic said. I got them to stop biting me (nibbling is fine) after about 2 days, and day 3 they didn't have a single non-litterbox turdpile to clean up. I think I just stumbled on a really good pair of catsnakes.

e: As soon as I posted that the much larger female just ran across the room with her kong toy and ran right into a step :stoat:

CATSNEKS YAY!

Your pics may have made me squeak out loud. Welcome to the club! What are their names?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Maully Millions posted:

CATSNEKS YAY!

Your pics may have made me squeak out loud. Welcome to the club! What are their names?

I can't figure out any good names so far :v:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

This happened. She passed out on me, then I passed out for a few minutes myself. Then I woke up and took a picture.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Fert fangs are the best. Pretty sure they store all their mischief in them.

Meles meles
Oct 4, 2010
I popped into the ferret shed at work to see who would come over and say hello in return for egg.

First to investigate was Buster.

Then Bella.

And finally Donny.

Everyone else was too lazy to come out of the blankets.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ferret picture.

The one on the left was pretty bony when I got him, and they both had really wiry hair.
They've already gotten soft and he seems to be getting fatter/growing like mad.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 17, 2015

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Marxalot posted:

The one on the left was pretty bony when I got him, and they both had really wiry hair.
They've already gotten soft and he seems to be getting fatter/growing like mad.

From the way he's laying, he doesn't have any bones :eek:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Saving this thread with a low-effort picture of a low-effort ferret.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

If anybody is interested in buying a Ferret Nation two-level model 142, send me a PM. It's served us very well for many years and is in good condition [it would ship from Chicago, USA].

Little Miss Freya is at rest now, she outlived her brother by many years and had a long and healthy ferret life.

The young little girl. This is not just a camera trick, she actually had ruby eyes in most lighting. I have no idea why and she wasn't blind.

With her older brother, Kimarhi. This is a camera trick, to clarify. They didn't actually glow. [That I saw]

They were the perfect jailbreak duo. Kimarhi was strong and could jump to obscene heights. If he could get a nail on something he could climb over it. Freya was the clever agile one, she could probably have picked the lock if there was a bobby pin nearby and was tiny enough to fit through anything. They never escaped the Ferret Nation cage though!

Freya playing with Goliath.

The venerable miss Freya at over 9 years old, still drinking from the cat's water and dooking around when her legs allowed her to.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 12, 2015

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

A couple nights ago Tifa managed to knock half of one of the ramps between levels of her cage loose while climbing the sides of the cage. She was up at the top level and realized she wanted to get down, so she stretched out to grab the loose part of the ramp and tried to put it back in place so she could go back down the easy way. Of course she didn't exactly get it reattached, so when she stepped onto it she fell all the way to the bottom. She didn't get hurt in the fall, and we were just impressed that she realized that the ramp needed to be in position.

Last night, we didn't quite get the cage all the way shut and she got out for a while. Luckily it was in the fully ferret-proofed room, but man was she beat when we got her back into the cage:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Lookit that dook all I want to do is scratch its belly

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

So I'm adopting some dooks again. :3: Can't wait!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yaaaaay! Pictures, please and thank you.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Sure.

e: A ferret trap. Place on floor, ferrets enter, close visor.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 7, 2015

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'm cross-posting this from the cute thread because this thread needs some life breathed into it!

I did some volunteer cleaning at a ferret rescue yesterday. Picture dump!

This girl's my favorite and I wanna take her home soon. :3:

Both of these girls, actually.

Very productive use of playtime, boys!

These pens are where they play during cage cleaning time. When they're cooperative they're put into multi-cage play groups for even more socialization.

The rescue has a frat house cage which is 7 boys that trash everything daily. Like blankets in the water bowl and sleeping bag in the litter box kind of trashed. And poop smears on the shelves.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Lookit all of those dooks. Those are mighty nice dooks. I want them all :(

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

I recently learned that ALL FERRETS ARE SHOW FERRETS! This is courtesy of the American Ferret Association. Apparently, they even have a class or title or something for shelter ferrets, which makes me all mushy inside.

Of course, I'm now obsessed with the idea of showing the girls. Tristan, much as I love him, is just like... standard petshop rear end in a top hat ferret. Isolde, however, is so so pretty. And Artemis is this gorgeous silver fluff.

Has anyone participated in ferret shows? I will probably not ever actually do it (starting grad school next week... who needs free time?), but fantasizing about all the ribbons my girls would win is kind of nice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Obviously the only way to discuss this is for you to post pictures of adorable noodle kittens.

...I have no ulterior motive at all...

(I can't even own a ferret. I just think they're so cute/adorably retarded. I started following this thread because I was ferret-sitting for a friend and wanted advice and these god drat stretched out kittens ended up making me melt. Totally didn't ever fake sick at work to just play with 5 month old ferrets for an afternoon. That'd be ridiculous*.)

*I'd post pics but my girlfriend's in them and she doesn't want random pictures of her on the inter-webs.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Show quality ferret for Xiahou Dun:

Sorry, that's the most recent pic of Artemis I have. I'll try to get some better ones for you!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
It had to happen. Bringing home a pair of farts next weekend from the rescue! I don't have any pictures of them to show off, though.
Have some other ones from last week instead!

This also happened, which scared another volunteer.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

It had to happen. Bringing home a pair of farts next weekend from the rescue! I don't have any pictures of them to show off, though.

This also happened, which scared another volunteer.

Wait, these wouldn't happen to be from the GCFA based in Lyons IL, would they?

Also, ferts seem to like hockey equipment and especially the bags. Tifa tried to go play hockey with me:

Silly fert, you can't skate.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Wait, these wouldn't happen to be from the GCFA based in Lyons IL, would they?

Also, ferts seem to like hockey equipment and especially the bags. Tifa tried to go play hockey with me:

Silly fert, you can't skate.

Sure is. :) Do you volunteer or foster there too?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

No, actually. I've been by there numerous times because I use the electronics repair place at the end of the block, but never actually talked to anyone there.

I only put two and two together on that because of some pictures they had up on Facebook.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

No, actually. I've been by there numerous times because I use the electronics repair place at the end of the block, but never actually talked to anyone there.

I only put two and two together on that because of some pictures they had up on Facebook.

Shhh! They don't give out the location so no one leaves boxes of ferrets at the door.

If you're in the neighborhood this weekend though, I'm sure they wouldn't mind some extra hands! They'll be deep cleaning all 60-ish cages in 2 days. :gonk: I'm bringing home Bobo and Splinter from them this weekend as well.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

This weekend is stupid bonkers for me with like six birthday parties, forced overtime, and a move.

I'm sure they'd love the help though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
The ferrets are home! They threw themselves a going away party at the rescue, and have commandeered the empty garbage can and renamed it Ft. Kickass. I'll post pictures when they slow down enough to not be white blurs. :3

Edit: Picture! Kinda. They already trashed everything but it's mostly a temporary setup anyway.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 31, 2015

• Locked thread