Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

He still sleeps like that, except he's like 3lbs now.

Also like this. The first picture didn't turn out very well, and the flash woke him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
How did you open the door without waking them up???

... I know the answer to that, I'm just jelly. My two boys were always the first up and snorkeling at the rescue since open door = playtime

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
They tend to slowly shuffle off back to the cage when they're tired. I pretty much only close it when I'm at work, sleeping (they're too loud sometimes), or about to do something not-ferret-friendly (house cleaning).

e: Usually when he's tired he gets a drink, some kibble, then passes out right next to/on the foodbowl. I think he was a goon in a past life.
The much smaller girl tends to make it up to the top level of the cage and curl under something dark and warm.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 31, 2015

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'm hoping I can get mine to that point but it's going to be hard to completely ferret-proof underneath the bed since it's full of art supplies. Paints and other toxic stuff are in sealed boxes, but there's still a lot of pads of crinkly paper and bags of rags which are super fun to burrow in.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Dook-in-pot

Tifa is actually my girlfriends fert. She's trying to convince me to get one as well. I may cave easily.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Get a ferret.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

We're trying to figure out if we want to drive up to Glen Ellyn to the GCFA show. We probably will.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Phone posting bug I got a pic of the difference in size between the boys!

http://imgur.com/De3kdPu

The big boy is Skywalker, and weighs 1.2kg at 1 year old.

The skinny nerd is Blademaster and is 2 years old but .7kg.

Skywalker is so tubby!!!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

We did end up getting a second dooker yesterday. A big guy we named Cloud. Comparison picture:

The GCFA people are awesome, but they're disappointed we didn't adopt through them. They mentioned they tend to adopt out in pairs of trios, but we're really only ready to go to two dooks and our allergies are only ready for two.

I'd like to do some volunteering up there though.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
That's silly of them to say since although that's true, they have some that are alone in cages too! Pretty sure Toby is still available.

Oh well, enjoy the farts!

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Can't all animals just be friends?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

That's silly of them to say since although that's true, they have some that are alone in cages too! Pretty sure Toby is still available.

Oh well, enjoy the farts!

im gonna be going up to get that big three level ferret nation cage from them next weekend though.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Hello thread I have a question about the 'weasel war dance' that ferrets like to spaz out and do.

Is it true that in Japan they call it 'dooki dooki panic'?

(Actually I do kinda wonder why they seem to just lose their little minds like that)

(ps please post more ferts)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I saw a guy walking ... something on a leash yesterday and I have no idea if it was a fert or something similar.

It was bigger than any ferret I've ever seen before. Looked like small, weasely dog (think mini poodle size), but it was definitely some kind of ferret or weasel. Was it just a big ferret or some other thing? Asking because I want one. It was a deep sable brown color.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Could it be a sable?

Not snarking, but you did use that word in your description and they are basically giant ferrets.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
That's not super unlike what he had! I wish I'd gotten a better look at it, but he was crossing the street away from me as I was walking toward him. It stood up on its hind legs and was past his knee (average-height dude) so it was a pretty long critter. It looked almost otter-like.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Segmentation Fox posted:

(ps please post more ferts)

We're learning more about Cloud's personality every day. For example, he gives ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKS:

I see no problem sleeping in my food bowl. None at all.

Don't mind me, i'm just sleeping next to my own poo poo.

On the plus side, he does enjoy being held far more than Tifa does.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Guess who's cleaning ferret cages today after work because only one Monday volunteer came in! Woo!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I saw that. I was at work all day.

I did pick up that three level ferret nation cage yesterday. The ferrets love it.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Sweet! I can't even imagine how huge that thing is. Even just 2 levels is over my head!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

We're not even using the third level at this point. I may eventually piece it together as a good travel cage though.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Do the ferret nation cages have a trap door attachment? We're currently introducing a baby fert and have his sequestered on the bottom half of our two decker. To keep the levels separate, I rotated the plastic pan to cover the access hole, but I'd like to let Little Dude into the big kids section when the fat rear end in a top hat isn't in there.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Yeah they do.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

peengers posted:

Yeah they do.

Do you happen to have a link handy? I've been all through their website and can't seem to find anything. :(
Thanks!

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I have model 142, which is discontinued. This one here is the replacement for 142:

http://www.ferretnation.net/shop/ferret-nation-cages/midwest-pets-ferret-nation-182-double-unit-cage-in-gray/

And the description says that the ramps fold up to lock in place for separation and cleaning.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
So... who was it that wanted video of a hyper ferret? One handed playtime is hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn06TLojqf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLyUTh3vftI

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Good to see the ferret thread back. Sadly my Diesel died of Aleutian virus last year, I want to get another ferret, but my partner got a cat instead. Keep posting your ferts though! I might convince her yet!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Ok.

I tried to order a new tire. Ended up with a bed for some kind of bootleg weasel thing.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Marxalot posted:

I tried to order a new tire. Ended up with a bed for some kind of bootleg weasel thing.

Is that one of those fancy self patching tires?

ETA:

peengers posted:

And the description says that the ramps fold up to lock in place for separation and cleaning.

Thanks, peengers! I actually have this model and somehow completely missed the locking hook thingy for the last two years...

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Nope, just a normal motorcycle tire with a ferret trying to sleep in it.

Using a ferret as a plug would unbalance the tire too much :v:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bella went off for surgery this morning. She's been losing hair from the tip of her tail so it's probably adrenal, but she has no other symptoms and her bloodwork came back clean so they're just gonna open her up and hoover out all of the tumors or w/e. Poor old lady, she'll be 7 in February and her grey hairs are noticeable but she still gamely jumps up whenever I squeak a squeaky toy. Our doctor is very very good so I'm confident that she'll be fine, but we can't really afford the surgery right now :(. I could never forgive myself if Bella died of something we could have prevented so we'll find a way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Update: Bell came through surgery fine but woozy. She had a ton of growth on her right adrenal gland, which is really bad since its next to the vena cava and so it's hard to operate on. Our surgeon is great so he got about 90% of it and is biopsying it. If it's cancer then it'll probably be back in 6 months, while if it's benign it'll grow back so slowly she'll die of natural causes long before it becomes a problem. Either way he's not going to operate on her again, if it comes back it comes back.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Update: Bell came through surgery fine but woozy. She had a ton of growth on her right adrenal gland, which is really bad since its next to the vena cava and so it's hard to operate on. Our surgeon is great so he got about 90% of it and is biopsying it. If it's cancer then it'll probably be back in 6 months, while if it's benign it'll grow back so slowly she'll die of natural causes long before it becomes a problem. Either way he's not going to operate on her again, if it comes back it comes back.

Can you get an implant? They are pretty amazing when combined with surgery.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Even without the surgery, regular melatonin implants can slow the growth of the tumor dramatically- to the point that it grows as slowly as a benign one. They are relatively inexpensive, I used to get them from the ferret shelter and put them in myself (that way I avoided an office visit fee on top of the cost of the implant which was about 25$). It's not hard as long as you don't mind a big ol honkin needle. I did them every 6-8mo or so on all my adrenal dooks, and even started giving them to the 5+ year olds even if they had no symptoms yet.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'll ask about it.

Dumbass Bella can't stop licking herself so her belly wound is bleeding and there's a bit of red tissue poking out. Tomorrow I'm taking her back to the vet to get her insides put inside and fit her with a teeny tiny Cone of Shame.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Good luck Bella! Now stop licking your wound, you shameful creature!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah, her insides were put inside and then the doc replaced his sutures and put a layer of adhesive over, all free of charge. She is a Dumb Animal but she's no longer a partially-inverted Dumb Animal, and she has lots of energy. Hates being stuck in Sick Ferret Jail, though.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah, her insides were put inside and then the doc replaced his sutures and put a layer of adhesive over, all free of charge. She is a Dumb Animal but she's no longer a partially-inverted Dumb Animal, and she has lots of energy. Hates being stuck in Sick Ferret Jail, though.

So how is your dumb sick animal doing? Are her insides still inside? Please post a picture to prove her continued existence.

In other news, every time I go to PetSmartCo I am asked either if I'm getting a kitten or a puppy. When I say no, I have three ferrets that happen to eat super high quality expensive grain-free cat food (none of that Marshall's crap for my furbabies!) and play with stupid cat toys that hurt when you step on them in the dark, and no, this giant bowl isn't for a dog its because those ferrets I mentioned have decided that snorkeling is the best and end up dumping most of their water out before they can drink it and I decided to upgrade to an Olympic size ferret pool for them. The response is inevitably, "Awwww, I want ferrets!" I then spend the next five minutes explaining descenting, how they smell like stale Fritos, and they get so excited when they see you and how much I love them even though they're assholes, every single one of them.

Basically, I'm a walking advertisement for Stockholm Syndrome and it always takes way longer to buy their overpriced meat bits and special poop pellets, but gosh darned if it isn't worth it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Well this happened. I don't honestly know what he was going for there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bella is doing great and has been put back in the Big Pen with her rear end in a top hat sister. Picture to come later.

In the meantime we have a new game with Precious, Bella's fat angry sister. I grapple her and then execute a variety of pro wrestling moves like the People's Elbow, the Atomic Piledriver and the Skullcracker while shouting their names. She patiently waits for Daddy to get it out of his system, then when I put her back on the floor she starts spazzing out and dooking like crazy.

• Locked thread