Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Bella is doing great and has been put back in the Big Pen with her rear end in a top hat sister. Picture to come later.

In the meantime we have a new game with Precious, Bella's fat angry sister. I grapple her and then execute a variety of pro wrestling moves like the People's Elbow, the Atomic Piledriver and the Skullcracker while shouting their names. She patiently waits for Daddy to get it out of his system, then when I put her back on the floor she starts spazzing out and dooking like crazy.

My tubby boy likes package piledrivers and also when he plays with his little buddy somehow discovered the full nelson.

In other news they figured out that mommy has the best blankets so if I'm napping while they're playing it's fert nap time too. :3:

Also I bought the Marshall knit ferret sweater and it's too big even for Skywalker's 2.5lb butt. How big does the manufacturer think the average fart is??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I want to get a ferret but I'm investigating what it is like, so I went to a nearby City Farm and I think I may have stumbled across Meles Meles work. At least all the ferrets have the same names.

Sadly I didn't get to speak to anyone about it but it was a nice trip. Any advice on here or am I in the wrong thread?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I need to vent for a moment.

When I remember to, I look through craigslist for good deals on supplies as well as anyone trying to get rid of their pet and find it a good home. I came across someone selling 2 ferrets, all their bedding and toys, and a 2 level ferret nation cage for $150. The post included the ferrets' names and they sounded familiar so I contacted GCFA's volunteer coordinator who gave me the adoption manager's email as well as pictures for me to verify.

Pictures matched the photos in the listing, and the names matched as well. The two had arrived at the rescue in June, so they were adopted less than 6 months ago.

THE ADOPTION CONTRACT IS NOT HARD TO READ

THE ADOPTION CONTRACT STATES THAT BY ADOPTING FROM THE RESCUE YOU AGREE TO RETURN THE FERRETS TO THEM IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO CARE FOR THEM OR IF YOU NO LONGER WANT THEM THERE IS EVEN A 2 WEEK REFUND POLICY

Hopefully the adoption records have enough information to contact this person about the breach of contract, but it looks like the ferrets have been sold since the listing is no longer up. =\

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
That's pretty lovely.

Speaking of GCFA, my girlfriend and I are going to be doing Sunday morning shifts there for the foreseeable future.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

That's what killed me about ferret rescue. We got lots of returns, sometimes years later. Oh thanks, these now 6 year old dudes are definitely gonna get adopted! Oh wait they'll go to hospice at my house and I'll have to nurse their geriatric asses til they finally keel over and make me cry. FUN

I learned to stay away from CL because I'm pretty hot headed and confrontational, and would send nasty emails to people. :v: it soothed my nerves but ultimately can't do anything for the ferts so I stopped looking for cage deals on there. Not worth raising my blood pressure over it.

I'm pretty sure the same poo poo goes on in any animal rescue, but ferrets are such a unique handful to own that it seems they get abandoned or pawned off more than their share. Poor lil dookies. :saddowns:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

That's pretty lovely.

Speaking of GCFA, my girlfriend and I are going to be doing Sunday morning shifts there for the foreseeable future.

Sweet! Since I started a new job Sundays are my only day off so I haven't really had time to volunteer lately. :( Give Bear a boop on the nose for me!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Does anyone know a good VERY small harness I can use for Blade? I bought this for him and it's still too small. He slips his little arms out of the neck hole still! I'm going to see if I can adjust it to be a little tighter but honestly it's so wide under the neck it's probably really uncomfortable anyway and I'd like him to have something comfy as well as safe enough to take him around the rest of the house on a leash.

I'm hesitant to try a rat one, since I have no idea if that'd be too big or too small.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

I was never able to find a vest harness small enough to fit my littlest girl. Even tiny kitten harnesses were too big on the smallest cinching. If your Blade is super little, the rat one might work better. The ferret and guinea pig ones fit my chunky kids ok.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CompactFanny posted:

I'm pretty sure the same poo poo goes on in any animal rescue, but ferrets are such a unique handful to own that it seems they get abandoned or pawned off more than their share. Poor lil dookies. :saddowns:

My ex-girlfriend's friend asked us if we wanted to baby-sit her ferret while they moved to Texas. She said it would be for like six weeks at the very most, but probably more like four weeks.

That was seven months ago. I now own a ferret. "A unique handful" is an understatement, because these little domestic weasels just exist for the sole purpose of getting into trouble. She's cute though!

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

This morning the Internet dude came to fix my weird internet, and he saw a picture of Nickel (a fert that I had years ago, she died in maybe 2010) on my side table and asked, "is that a SQUIRREL??" :lol:

I also had someone ask me if my ferret was a dog, once. She saw it in person, outside on his harness. I guess she figured it was some kind of teacup weaseldog.

Ferret Megathread: What Kind Of Animal Even Is This

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

"What's wrong with your dog" is something I got asked a lot. Always a weird question, especially when I was "walking" him by carrying him on my shoulders like a parrot.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I wish I hadn't found this thread, now I want a fert :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I still miss my ferts :qq:

One day I will have all of the time, and a massive outdoor shed/chicken run type setup for ferts. ONE DAY.

stupid dogs being scared of ferret friends

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

CompactFanny posted:

That's what killed me about ferret rescue. We got lots of returns, sometimes years later. Oh thanks, these now 6 year old dudes are definitely gonna get adopted! Oh wait they'll go to hospice at my house and I'll have to nurse their geriatric asses til they finally keel over and make me cry. FUN

I learned to stay away from CL because I'm pretty hot headed and confrontational, and would send nasty emails to people. :v: it soothed my nerves but ultimately can't do anything for the ferts so I stopped looking for cage deals on there. Not worth raising my blood pressure over it.

We could never have returned Annie to the shelter. Sure, she didn't get along with our other two (who didn't get along with each other), and we bought a third cage for her, and she never QUITE litter trained right (yeah, I know, ferrets). She was our responsibility though, and we kept her right up until the end.

So I posted this a long-rear end time ago, back in December 2014:

ElectricSheep posted:

Well, the biopsy came back positive for lymphoma.

She's had a hard life up to the point we got her from the shelter - her owner had been hit on-foot by a van and comatose for 6 months before she died, and the owner's husband was apparently drunk when he brought her and her two cagemates to the rescue. All 3 of them appeared malnourished, and 2 of them died about a week or so after arrival. She fattened up nicely after we adopted her though and she clearly appreciates it - she's a kisser and she loves to lick faces to the point where you'd probably tire of it before she does.

The vet recommends prednisone or oral chemo medications; I'm not sure how effective the latter will be if we don't combine that with a trip to a veterinary oncologist, and even that would just prolong the inevitable. At first we were planning on making that decision in about ten days when she goes back to have her stitches out from the biopsy, but I'm feeling more and more like I want to schedule a visit earlier to get her on medication so that we can make sure her quality of life doesn't decline with us just asleep at the wheel.

This sucks, especially because our other 2 girls (non-Marshall's bred) are nearly 5 and 6 respectively and both of them blaze around with a shitload of energy. Didn't figure it'd be the younger one first.

I haven't posted in the thread since. I don't think I wanted to because I'd jinx her chances. Annie had lymphoma for over a year, because we got the diagnosis in December 2014 but she probably was sick for longer than that. Who can say? She only lost most of her fur a month or so ago.

We had her on Prednisone the whole time, just mitigating as best possible. The tumors were extensive, and her abdomen was puffy but she was still ambulatory. We felt bad, but the whole time she just kept eating, drinking, playing, and pooping - and she ate a TON, all things considered. The vet told us that when she was ready to go, she'd let us know. She fought the whole drat way through, never stopping her eating or playing; her stance and gait was affected and she wasn't steady on her feet, but she still kept going. We felt worse when she started getting a bit incontinent a couple weeks ago, but despite that she kept on keeping on, playing and kissing (and nipping, let's not lie). We had a routine vet check-up coming for another of the girls soon, so we decided to bring Annie in too.

We didn't make it that far. Late Sunday night Annie woke up, used the bathroom, and stumbled; fortunately my wife and I were awake and we went to check on her. She'd suffered a rectal prolapse. We wrapped her in a towel and immediately took her to the emergency vet, knowing what was going to happen even as the vet warned us on the phone there was probably nothing he could do. For the first time, even with the lymphoma having progressed as far as it had, Annie just held still in the towel and rested her head on us as we held her. No kisses, no curiosity, none of the typical ferret "STOP HOLDING ME" scrambling. She was ready. The vet sedated her and administered IP pentobarbital, and she just quietly passed away in our arms, wrapped in her bathtime towel.

I still feel raw about it; I've never been present for a pet of mine being euthanized. I'm sure I'll feel like hell when our other two go (they're closing in on 6 and 7 years old and we've had them since they were kits). She's not suffering, and she's not in any more pain, and I'm thankful for that.

Guess I just wanted to pop in and let the thread know that, like any animal, you can get a little shelter ferret that loves you so much they'll fight their own body just to spend one more day with you.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 13, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Saying goodbye is always so hard, even when you know it's for the best.
I'm sorry for your loss.
In lighter news, Bella's tissue biopsy came back benign and all of her hair has grown back. Both of the girls have big fat winter bodies now and they're still terrible at running on hardwood floors. Lot of slipping and sliding.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

DIP Annie

One of the things about volunteering at GCFA is that we get to know some of the shelter ferts fairly well, so we hauled Tifa and Cloud up to do a meet and greet with one of two pairs. They hit it off with a slightly older (3 years) pair that had already been in and out of the shelter twice. So we came home with Alucard and Palpatine.

The first thing we did with all four of them was set up long form play time in the apartment bedroom. I've never heard two ferrets so vocal before. I mean a half an hour of hard dooking. They were all out and going for a couple hours, we put them down for a nap, then my girlfriend put them all in our playpen so she could cook some food while I was out for hockey. We apparently got a dook pile during this, but I didn't get any evidence.

On Monday, I put them into the playpen while we were cooking dinner and caught this:

Left to right, Alucard, Palpatine, Tifa, Cloud (facing top of picture)

I couldn't be more pleased with how they're getting along, even if cloud gets bullied a bit.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Sigi has decided that he MUST be within touching distance of my feet whenever I'm standing or walking around, most preferably between my feet as to maximize the potential for tripping or punting him across the floor. What the gently caress, Sig. One of these days, one or both of us is going to die and it'll be YOUR FAULT.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Maully Millions posted:

Sigi has decided that he MUST be within touching distance of my feet whenever I'm standing or walking around, most preferably between my feet as to maximize the potential for tripping or punting him across the floor. What the gently caress, Sig. One of these days, one or both of us is going to die and it'll be YOUR FAULT.

Skywalker does this too. He could be sound asleep across the room but if I stand up he teleports to my heels and won't leave. I let him leave the room to follow me to the bathroom and he loves it so much. Dances all over the place in there and is fascinated by the flushing noise.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I made a cute gif.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

I made a cute gif.

That completely clarifies the pictures on facebook earlier.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

That completely clarifies the pictures on facebook earlier.

Honestly I have no idea what they were doing, but I'm positive they had no idea they were licking each others faces. They were sound asleep a minute before and still drowsy.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
So goddamn cute

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe
New ferret owner. The previous iteration of this thread convinced me of weasel supremacy. A question: does every ferret look bored and yawn when you scruff them? Both of mine do every time.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Yes, unless they're trying to kiss you with their teeth.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Lucky you, I've apparently owned the only three ferrets my vet ever encountered that refused to calm down when scruffed.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bella's been displaying pretty serious rear leg weakness tonight :(. I'll go take her to the vet, but 1) money's really tight for us lately and 2) she's more than seven years old and has already had one major surgery, so I think her time might be close to up. We'll see.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

The ferrets may have killed a vole while I was taking a nap. There's blood. No body.

Wtf.

ETA: A vole just sauntered by, completely unharmed. Zombie vole? Son of Vole, here to take vengeance upon his father's killers? WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Maully Millions fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 10, 2016

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Had a brief scare with Alucard yesterday. He managed to projectile vomit a few times in a two hour span. He was pretty normal aside from the hurling. Some Pepcid combined with clearing out his system seems to have straightened things out though. After a long sleep, he put down almost a third of a cup of food and was back to normal.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
:geno:

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

I could watch this forever.
:3

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Current ferret status: contemplating making GBS threads on your hand and then ripping your face off.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

peengers posted:

Current ferret status: contemplating making GBS threads on your hand and then ripping your face off.

Bath hat ferret or all ferrets everywhere?

Also, stupid things my ferrets have eaten (or tried to eat) this week:

At least 1 vole
earbuds (cached the squishy bits, chewed the hard plastic bits)
my wallet
anything Sigi manages to get to fall in his mouth while he's dooking around
usb cord
my soul

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

The rescue has a frat house cage which is 7 boys that trash everything daily. Like blankets in the water bowl and sleeping bag in the litter box kind of trashed. And poop smears on the shelves.

Quote necromancy, but people at the shelter keep telling me about this cage setup and the nickname for it: The Beastie Boys.

Turns out Alucard and Palpatine were two of those seven. We didn't even know about that when we adopted them.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

My husband and I are planning on adopting a cat in August. We've been bickering about what age would be best to adopt so as to socialize with the ferrets - kitten with malleable social brain (husband's vote) or 2yr+ and tested with other animals (my vote). We have three ferrets right now. Artemis, 3 yrs old, used to live happily with cats before we adopted her. Tristan, 2 yrs old, best friend is cat. Siegfried, ~9mos, has not met cats but is pretty good with weird/new situations.

Do you guys have any advice or anecdotes to share about introducing catte to fert?

(xposting to cat megathread)

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Kitten. An adult will probably be an issue and think they're prey. Our cat was introduced as a kitten, and she thinks she's a fert.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

One of our ferts thinks she's a cat, so that would actually work perfectly. :3

Do you have any cat-ferret love pictures?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
None of the adult cats that have been around our ferrets ever treated them like prey; the cats all hated or were scared of them though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My prey driven dogs (jrt and bc) were scared of my ferrets, especially when India figured she could leap at the edge of the couch they were hiding on to nip at them. Unless you unfortunately "luck" out on getting a super prey driven cat I don't think they would parse an adult ferret as prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Plek posted:

None of the adult cats that have been around our ferrets ever treated them like prey; the cats all hated or were scared of them though.

Fraction posted:

My prey driven dogs (jrt and bc) were scared of my ferrets, especially when India figured she could leap at the edge of the couch they were hiding on to nip at them. Unless you unfortunately "luck" out on getting a super prey driven cat I don't think they would parse an adult ferret as prey.

I appreciate the reassurance! I'm not really concerned about the cats thinking the ferrets are prey. Ferts can look after themselves. After all, they recently tag teamed a vole murder...

Husband and I have entered into negotiations regarding two kittens. I'm so excited!

• Locked thread