Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this. My brother and his girlfriend recently gifted me a ferret. They had wanted to keep her but their dog was being mean and scaring the poor little dear. Anyhow the lovely little Jill is now mine, and she is a cute, curious, little sweetheart named Piper. Anyhow, I've been able to block most of the doors to areas I don't want her getting into or under fairly well with some thick wooden boards, however I am nervous about her getting into the kitchen area. the cabinets are magnetized and fairly heavy so I am not worried about her getting into those, however, the big issue is my refrigerator, there is a huge open area on either side that she could fit in, and I have no idea how to block it off so she doesn't climb back there and hurt herself. So I guess what I'm asking is, what is the best way to block it off? Are there goon recommended Ferret Barriers I can purchase to block off the area effectively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do you have packing tape and cardboard? Perhaps corrugated plastic?

no but I can easily get my hands on it. Would cardboard and packing tape really be sufficient to keep out an inquisitive ferret?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CompactFanny posted:

Sorry about your little dude. It is hard when they go but you're doing him the ultimate kindness. Also, he didn't survive insulinoma, it is terminal. Sorry I'm just the semantics police :v:

Re: ferret proofing
Imo kitchens should all be no ferrets allowed because they are full of dangers and, as you have found, are hard to make safe. The most elegant solution I have seen is a sheet of plexi fitted to the door frame, with a pvc pipe running along the top (so you can grip it). It was held in place with a thin little strip of wood like moulding or something, and a finishing nail. So you could just slide it down into the track and form a clear barrier, short enough to step over. We put stickers on it to help keep ferrets from running into it BUT that is also hilarious.

I hope I am explaining this well! :stoat:

Unfortunately, there is no door frame, but i could accomplish something similar. I live in a decent sized apartment which is divided into 2 main rooms, a bedroom and a Kitchen/Living Room combined. The bed room is a no go for the little bugger, the air vents are on the floor in that room and are easy to get to, whereas in the main room the air vents are on the ceiling....go figure. So the main room is her main play area.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ok, well I resolved the issues with ferret proofing the apartment, thick plastic and some tape did the trick. But now I need a little help here with the ferret's pooping habits. I know that she'll never be perfectly litter trained, but this ferret seems to actively avoid the litter box. I routinely clean it, and wash it out every few days, however she still seems to avoid it even with Fresh Litter. There are 2 places in the cage she likes to relieve herself, and whichever one I put the Litter Box in, she goes to the other one. Any ideas on how to litter train her better? I mean, whenever I catch her going in the litter box, as soon as she's done I give her a treat, but can't think of a better solution. Any ideas? I mean, worst case scenario, I'll just be buying paper towels by the pallet at Costco, so its not a huge issue, but it is annoying.

On the plus side though, she has only pooped out of the cage once, and that was the second day I had her, otherwise she does wait to get back in the cage, so no real complaints with that behavior.

• Locked thread