Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'm cross-posting this from the cute thread because this thread needs some life breathed into it!

I did some volunteer cleaning at a ferret rescue yesterday. Picture dump!

This girl's my favorite and I wanna take her home soon. :3:

Both of these girls, actually.

Very productive use of playtime, boys!

These pens are where they play during cage cleaning time. When they're cooperative they're put into multi-cage play groups for even more socialization.

The rescue has a frat house cage which is 7 boys that trash everything daily. Like blankets in the water bowl and sleeping bag in the litter box kind of trashed. And poop smears on the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
It had to happen. Bringing home a pair of farts next weekend from the rescue! I don't have any pictures of them to show off, though.
Have some other ones from last week instead!

This also happened, which scared another volunteer.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Wait, these wouldn't happen to be from the GCFA based in Lyons IL, would they?

Also, ferts seem to like hockey equipment and especially the bags. Tifa tried to go play hockey with me:

Silly fert, you can't skate.

Sure is. :) Do you volunteer or foster there too?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

No, actually. I've been by there numerous times because I use the electronics repair place at the end of the block, but never actually talked to anyone there.

I only put two and two together on that because of some pictures they had up on Facebook.

Shhh! They don't give out the location so no one leaves boxes of ferrets at the door.

If you're in the neighborhood this weekend though, I'm sure they wouldn't mind some extra hands! They'll be deep cleaning all 60-ish cages in 2 days. :gonk: I'm bringing home Bobo and Splinter from them this weekend as well.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
The ferrets are home! They threw themselves a going away party at the rescue, and have commandeered the empty garbage can and renamed it Ft. Kickass. I'll post pictures when they slow down enough to not be white blurs. :3

Edit: Picture! Kinda. They already trashed everything but it's mostly a temporary setup anyway.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 31, 2015

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
How did you open the door without waking them up???

... I know the answer to that, I'm just jelly. My two boys were always the first up and snorkeling at the rescue since open door = playtime

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'm hoping I can get mine to that point but it's going to be hard to completely ferret-proof underneath the bed since it's full of art supplies. Paints and other toxic stuff are in sealed boxes, but there's still a lot of pads of crinkly paper and bags of rags which are super fun to burrow in.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Get a ferret.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Phone posting bug I got a pic of the difference in size between the boys!

http://imgur.com/De3kdPu

The big boy is Skywalker, and weighs 1.2kg at 1 year old.

The skinny nerd is Blademaster and is 2 years old but .7kg.

Skywalker is so tubby!!!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
That's silly of them to say since although that's true, they have some that are alone in cages too! Pretty sure Toby is still available.

Oh well, enjoy the farts!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Guess who's cleaning ferret cages today after work because only one Monday volunteer came in! Woo!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Sweet! I can't even imagine how huge that thing is. Even just 2 levels is over my head!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
So... who was it that wanted video of a hyper ferret? One handed playtime is hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn06TLojqf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLyUTh3vftI

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Bella is doing great and has been put back in the Big Pen with her rear end in a top hat sister. Picture to come later.

In the meantime we have a new game with Precious, Bella's fat angry sister. I grapple her and then execute a variety of pro wrestling moves like the People's Elbow, the Atomic Piledriver and the Skullcracker while shouting their names. She patiently waits for Daddy to get it out of his system, then when I put her back on the floor she starts spazzing out and dooking like crazy.

My tubby boy likes package piledrivers and also when he plays with his little buddy somehow discovered the full nelson.

In other news they figured out that mommy has the best blankets so if I'm napping while they're playing it's fert nap time too. :3:

Also I bought the Marshall knit ferret sweater and it's too big even for Skywalker's 2.5lb butt. How big does the manufacturer think the average fart is??

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I need to vent for a moment.

When I remember to, I look through craigslist for good deals on supplies as well as anyone trying to get rid of their pet and find it a good home. I came across someone selling 2 ferrets, all their bedding and toys, and a 2 level ferret nation cage for $150. The post included the ferrets' names and they sounded familiar so I contacted GCFA's volunteer coordinator who gave me the adoption manager's email as well as pictures for me to verify.

Pictures matched the photos in the listing, and the names matched as well. The two had arrived at the rescue in June, so they were adopted less than 6 months ago.

THE ADOPTION CONTRACT IS NOT HARD TO READ

THE ADOPTION CONTRACT STATES THAT BY ADOPTING FROM THE RESCUE YOU AGREE TO RETURN THE FERRETS TO THEM IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO CARE FOR THEM OR IF YOU NO LONGER WANT THEM THERE IS EVEN A 2 WEEK REFUND POLICY

Hopefully the adoption records have enough information to contact this person about the breach of contract, but it looks like the ferrets have been sold since the listing is no longer up. =\

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

That's pretty lovely.

Speaking of GCFA, my girlfriend and I are going to be doing Sunday morning shifts there for the foreseeable future.

Sweet! Since I started a new job Sundays are my only day off so I haven't really had time to volunteer lately. :( Give Bear a boop on the nose for me!

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Does anyone know a good VERY small harness I can use for Blade? I bought this for him and it's still too small. He slips his little arms out of the neck hole still! I'm going to see if I can adjust it to be a little tighter but honestly it's so wide under the neck it's probably really uncomfortable anyway and I'd like him to have something comfy as well as safe enough to take him around the rest of the house on a leash.

I'm hesitant to try a rat one, since I have no idea if that'd be too big or too small.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Maully Millions posted:

Sigi has decided that he MUST be within touching distance of my feet whenever I'm standing or walking around, most preferably between my feet as to maximize the potential for tripping or punting him across the floor. What the gently caress, Sig. One of these days, one or both of us is going to die and it'll be YOUR FAULT.

Skywalker does this too. He could be sound asleep across the room but if I stand up he teleports to my heels and won't leave. I let him leave the room to follow me to the bathroom and he loves it so much. Dances all over the place in there and is fascinated by the flushing noise.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I made a cute gif.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

That completely clarifies the pictures on facebook earlier.

Honestly I have no idea what they were doing, but I'm positive they had no idea they were licking each others faces. They were sound asleep a minute before and still drowsy.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Quote necromancy, but people at the shelter keep telling me about this cage setup and the nickname for it: The Beastie Boys.

Turns out Alucard and Palpatine were two of those seven. We didn't even know about that when we adopted them.

There were ones actually named after the Beastie Boys that were in there, hence the name! And yup, I almost took those two home with me. :) Mike D could be mistaken for a raccoon.

Edit: Considering pics you've posted on FB, I think one of your boys might have been one of the trouble-makers that pulled the bed into the litter box for nap time poops.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 16, 2016

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

YeehawMcKickass posted:

They might have been. Alucard is an angel at home and Palpatine is now the lover of the group.

We're probably adopting two more. A HUGE six month old sable and his nine month old silver female cohort.

Did you end up adopting them? I wanted them so bad and that boy was massive! I think he was 3lbs in July? And the girl had the prettiest eyes.

I just adopted a new boy who was having trouble getting along with others. He was brought in because his owners apartment didn't allow ferrets, then returned because he didn't get along with his new owner's cat.

His original name card said 1 year old, but he was born in 2014.

At the shelter he was very dominant and was unable to make friends with any of the 4 groups he was trialed with meaning that even during play time he had to be alone.

One of my boys is way more playful than the other, so I was looking to add a spunky boy to our group and I wanted to give this loner a shot.

The other volunteers were so sure it wouldn't work out that I let my boys play with 2 other potential friends first because we assumed the planned meeting would go south fast and my boys would be too stressed to keep looking.

To make a long story short, here's a group shot of my THREE happy boys. :)

Fake edit: gonna have to add the pics in after I get to my work computer.
Edit: PICTURES

moonsour fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 11, 2016

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I haven't been there much so I don't think I saw them.

Ace though is all about the bites. He was trying to steal a wireless phone charger so I held it down with my hand. He grabbed my finger instead and started trying to drag me away.

Felt like I slammed my finger in a car door, but he didn't even dent the skin.

He also dragged Skywalker across the floor by his scruff and there was a little bit of squeaky fighting later that night but they're all fine now.

Please steal Lilith for me I love her eyeliner.

Ace still needs a new name. I love Ace, but my bf wants to stick to the wrestling theme. Cept he said no to Johnny Ace :(

Action shot of stealing the charger.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Kommando posted:

I'm hoping to move into my own place soon. First time living on my own and I'm bothered that I'll be losing the social aspect of sharehousing.

So im thinking of getting a ferret.

I've read they smell and poop everywhere. But they look so cute, and im looking for a pet with personality thats smaller than a cat.

For the smell and the pooping you just REALLY need to keep on top of cleaning. Also be careful and check with your landlord if you'll be renting, since a lot of places specifically don't allow ferrets.

In terms of responsibility, they're somewhere between a puppy and a toddler, in my opinion. Financially they can get really expensive since they're pretty much guaranteed to have cancer and/or need treatment for a few conditions.

You're right that they're super cute, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
A rat cage is fine if it's actually a critter nation small animal cage because that's the same size as a ferret nation, just with narrower bars.

Otherwise a rat cage is basically just room to sleep.

My boys have started getting a running start and ramming their heads into the back of my chair. I need to stop letting them out for play time when I'm ALMOST done with what I was doing.

• Locked thread