Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Oh wow this came back at the perfect time. This fat gently caress. He has food down below in the cage, but he climbed up top and started eating out of the dish with the extra food I store there cuz he was hungry and it was there.

Herp

Derp (Looking so smug after he climbed up there and knocked everything off the shelf.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
He is actually probably the more normal of the two. Just shameless about his sleeping and a bit more cuddly. Derp is the one with the weirder quirks like stealing water bottles to hide. Doesn't matter if you're currently drinking out of it, he'll try to take it right from your mouth. He also enjoys snacking on the dog's food while she is outside and they're running around. But she gets back at them since she enjoys snacking on their food if she gets a chance.

Let me tell you it is a pain in the rear end having a dog who would like to do nothing more than to use them as a chew toy. It has gotten slightly better lately as she mostly ignores them while they're in their cage now. Obviously if they're running around it is either in a locked room or the dog is outside since she'll never not try to eat them.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Fraction posted:

I had to take mine back to the rescue I got her from as my border collie was terrified of them. Stupid dog. :(

What kind of dog is afraid of ferrets? I've got the opposite problem. The dog would like nothing more than to use them as wonderful little chew toys and gets jealous of them constantly.

She'll steal their toys and play with them even though she doesn't like toys in general.

Lots of finagling involved trying to get stuff safe for all parties in involved. Mostly involving locks and gates and double checking to make sure dog is outside before meat slinkies are allowed to roam around.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I thought people say no to clumping clay cuz ferrets are stupid and might get it stuck in their butts or something. I dunno I just use a big rear end bag of corn corb horse litter from tractor supply for like $10. ~50lbs lasts for drat ever.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah the ferrets have their preferred corner to poop in. I'd love to put a litter box there but it the door to my bathroom soo I kinda can't open the door then. Oh well I clean up a little poop sometimes or I don't notice it and the dog gets to it first. (ew)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I am still amazed at how much my little fuckers eat and poo poo. The two of them combined probably don't even weigh 5 lbs. Yet they tear through a 15 lb bag of cat food faster than the 40 lb dog does through a 30lb bag.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
The shittily bred ones we mostly get in the US probably like 5-7 years thanks to the bajillion cancers and diseases they get. The UK ones closer to 10.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 17, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Had to bring Derp to the vet. Massive weight loss out of nowhere, lethargic, straining to poop. Looks like maybe blood coming from peepee. So far not insulinoma and vet didn't feel any blockages or swollen lymph nodes. Wasn't anemic. Getting xrays now to check for blockage/kidney stones/whatever else it could be.

Edit: Xrays looked perfect. No growths, blockages, tumors, stones, pneumonia, or enlarged heart to be found. Vet thinks he might have picked up a stomach/intestinal infection so he got some fluids for hydration and anti-biotics for me to shove in his mouth twice a day. Now to shove baby food down his throat in an attempt to get some weight back on him.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Thanks for the tip. Ordered, will be here Monday. Will just use up the rest of the baby food and stinky wet cat food I've got till then.

I got him to eat a decent amount of absolutely god awful smelly warmed up cat food. Course being a ferret he decided to try to eat the plastic spoon instead of the food on the spoon. It also had to be the picky eater who had to get sick making it doubly hard to feed him. Mostly involves smearing stuff all his face which forces him to open his mouth to try and clean up which then allows me to shove food directly in his mouth hole.

Herp will basically eat anything you put in front of him. Snacking on the dog's food is one of his favorite things to do when running around the house.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 17, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Fat, now skinny, gently caress is totally back to normal minus the weight issue. He woke me up at 4am because they either finished their water or spilled it everywhere. So he decided to dig at the bottom of their empty bowl because that will totally make more water appear. (I guess it did since I got up and refilled it)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Guess you're moving to the UK. I don't know any specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were illegal to import.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I don't know what happened. Derp was getting better on the antibiotics. Both were eating just fine and dandy. I went to check in on them tonight and found both Herp and Derp dead. I don't get it. What the gently caress happened. I'd understand Derp since he was kinda sickly as it, but Herp was just fine. Eating his heart out on all the food I was trying to shove in the others mouth.

I don't get it. Not one bit. Why? I can only think of 2 things that they both ate something they shouldn't have or picked up distemper, but both had absolutely 0 signs of that. If it takes 2 weeks or for a ferret to die from distemper, why didn't he show any symptoms at all 5 days ago at the vet? poo poo, did he contract it at the vet and then passed it along? Timeline wise picking up Distemper at the vet does fit minus no signs that I can find on their corpses.

If it was distemper and you're wondering why I didn't vaccinate, no vets could get Merial's vaccine and they didn't feel comfortable trying to dose dog vaccine on them.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 23, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Sudden death without other symptoms is possible, but for it to happen to both is pretty rare.
Part of me wants to know, but the other part is going why bother. A very local cremation place opens in about an hour. I called them up at midnight sobbing and a dude who didn't sound too annoyed at waking him up said I could bring them in today.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'm doing okay as long as I don't think about it too much. Isn't a heat thing. It has been way under normal temps the past week with highs in the 50s. Vet emailed me and wondered if it might have been CO poisoning, but my alarms haven't gone off and the herps haven't been affected at all.

You may be on to something with the food. I had just opened a new bag of Chicken Soup for Kittens and they were both chowing down on Carnivore Care. One because I needed weight on him and the other because he'd eat just about anything that sorta kinda tastes like meat. Maybe we'll hear about a recall in the next few weeks. :/

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
They absolutely hated the shower, but enjoyed licking my legs after I got out. Derp also enjoyed trying to drink my tea which is totally what a ferret needs caffeine and stevia.\

Edit:They also really enjoyed drinking for the dogs bowl and Herp eating the dog food. Especially if the dog who wished to murder them was on the other side of the baby gate hate staring at these small creatures stealing her poo poo.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 30, 2015

• Locked thread