Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plek
Jul 30, 2009

I don't know what actually applies to NY state, but in Texas there were 3 big things ferrets had to have to be outside. 1) Heartworm meds. See a vet, get liquid drops, not store bought stuff. 2) See a vet for flea stuff. Supposedly off the shelf cat stuff works but I wouldn't risk it, and we got ours from a vet. 3) distemper vax. They should already have this, because you can apparently track that in on your shoes.

As for ticks and stuff? See a vet :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Are ferrets from certified AFA breeders generally healthier in the US? Or does it all come from such bad base stock they are still prone to dying rather quickly?

Uh, I don't think there is such a thing as a "certified breeder" in the US, definitely not AFA. Unless your AFA is, like, Australian Ferret Association or something.

e: oh they do have standards now. They're just guidelines for look though, I have not heard of any breeders that breed for health over appearance.

Plek fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 19, 2015

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Every time I start to think about getting ferrets again, I just come back to these threads and remind myself why I should not.

What happened to yours is super sad though, I hope you're coping ok. Like Glyph just said though, something had to hit them at the same time for them to die at the same time; illnesses would be very unlikely. It could be poisoning from the food, and there have been a bunch of recalls over the last couple years for stuff we used to use, like EVO kitten/ferret. Also, if your place got super hot that could do it. I know ours got super uncomfortable over 80 degrees F, no idea how well they handle anything warmer than that.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
None of the adult cats that have been around our ferrets ever treated them like prey; the cats all hated or were scared of them though.

• Locked thread