Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I got these two lil dooks last night. 14 month old neutered jills, India (sable) and Sierra (cream). My dogs are appalled.

They live outside in a big ol' rabbit hutch. We gon raw feed--and maybe look into ferreting (omg!!) Because of my area, they likely come from working stock; and at 14mo they're about perfect to fert with (though lacking in the basics, so fert flirtpole coming soon to a thread near you).

itt poast ur ferts because these guys are just hilarious and I already love them (and have already been nipped by Sierra)

Fraction fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Ferrets are hella cool and hardcore little dudes. We've got an order of chicken necks and backs coming tomorrow, and this weekend I'm gonna hunt down my rabbit scent bottle and make up a rabbit-smelling toy for them to chase around to get them used to the idea.

In the meantime: dook dook motherfucker

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^^^ My ferts are already proving themselves to be fat fucks too. I'm just defrosting a rat pup for them now - their first raw in a whiiiiile.

Serella posted:

Yay, ferts are back!

All my woozles are gone now, and I miss their cute faces.

Black

Black again (old and gray as gently caress)

Jak

Pig

Can't wait to see ferreting pics/vids, though.

These are very, very good weasels. Rip little weasels.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:3:

CompactFanny posted:

Your house will smell like a ferret. If you don't clean like a LOT, it will smell like ferret poo poo which is way less tolerable. They poop about every 4 hours, so if you have 2 ferrets that's 12 poops every day! I really think that this is why people have trouble with keeping smells down. They just poo poo way more often than a dog or cat, in addition to getting diarrhea for seemingly no reason/any reason. To keep their space free of poops you have to be cleaning basically all of the time, at least twice a day, although I found that I had to clean more often than that (I was keeping 4-6 at a time though).

I can't imagine how much crap 4-6 ferrets would pump out. I just go around the hutch corners and clean poop twice a day with a dog bag, takes ten seconds and it doesn't bother me much. It's more like dog poo poo than rodent, but again that doesn't much bother me. 2poop2care

I opened up the yard more to the dogs today, and man it is hard to ferretproof 100%. I thought I had this poo poo down, then spent the whole time running after the ferrets as they quickly figured out the weak points in the system. Little assholes. It's a good thing they're cute :mad:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Where the hell do I get a harness small enough for my jills? I got a rabbit/guinea pig thin strap harness, which was obviously way, way too big; and a 'small n furry walk n vest' (rat size), which even my fatter dook was able to wriggle out of. I've taken them out to the grass without harnesses but it's very nerve wracking.

India is my favourite :ssh:

eta: Dook castle

Fraction fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 14, 2014

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^ I didn't manage to get anything quite so awesome/technical is that, but I did get my hands on a harness that, as yet, India hasn't wriggled out of. I've not tried Sierra in it yet because I value having fingers :toot:

Black and white polecat ferret by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Close up sandy ferret by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Such cute, much mayhem :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Get a fart. They are cute and flop around like spineless lil worms.

I've decided Sierra just doesn't like it when I stop her from doing something she wants to do (i.e. go on floor, continue standing on a precarious object, climb something yet again). If I just reach into the cage/stroke them she's fine, but if I hold her too long or stop her doing something she gets all :mad: and bitey. Bitch.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

2 reasons why u should get a fart;

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

post moar farts

India the polecat ferret by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

welp I forgot to update itt but Sierra escaped on Thursday and I haven't seen or heard anything of her since :smith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sorry if I brought the thread down :( we gave them baths earlier today which they HATE but now they're clean and their cage is fresh too.

Oddly enough, the sad post appears to have given life to the thread so it's all cool by my book.

When I washed my ferrets they didn't seem bothered at all by the process but goddamn they loved attacking the towel after.

ETA: vampyr fart

DSC_0031 by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 30, 2014

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^ Aren't allergies usually triggered by saliva? Lots of ferrets will lick themselves and you. You'd be best off seeing if there's a rescue with ferrets that'd let you hang out for a few hours.

Maully that pic is adorable :3:

I had to take mine back to the rescue I got her from as my border collie was terrified of them. Stupid dog. :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Cless Alvein posted:

What kind of dog is afraid of ferrets?

A very sensitive, delicate flower of a border collie

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I miss ferrets :( they're like better, more fun cats. And the smell is no worse than cat poop!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Dr qq posted:

are the ferrets from the op dead yet? ferrets only live like 6 weeks before succumbing to the millions of diseases that kill them right?

One escaped or was stolen, the other I had to return to the rescue because my bitch rear end dog was terrified of her :smith:

UK ferts way more own-some than USA ferts tho

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

it's probably because UK ferrets are primarily bred for workers/pets, rather than just for pets. you guys dont have the same rabbits as us afaik, so no need to send a ferret down underground to flush them. no working breeders means it's all bybs and farms all the time!

ferts don't come neutered or de-scented here either; I know a lotta people think de-scenting them is cruel, and tbh i can't see how much of a difference it would make.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

omg :kimchi:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

y'all should just fly over to England, we have solid working stock ferrets literally going for :10bux:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I still miss my ferts :qq:

One day I will have all of the time, and a massive outdoor shed/chicken run type setup for ferts. ONE DAY.

stupid dogs being scared of ferret friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My prey driven dogs (jrt and bc) were scared of my ferrets, especially when India figured she could leap at the edge of the couch they were hiding on to nip at them. Unless you unfortunately "luck" out on getting a super prey driven cat I don't think they would parse an adult ferret as prey.

• Locked thread