Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

We have three. Last year we had two but it looked like Rocky was going to die so we got a third to keep Bella company. Rocky pulled through and the third turned out to be a hyperactive fat bitch who bosses the other two around.

Rocky is now almost 6 and has had insulinoma and adrenal. Had surgery for both and pulled through but he's a shadow of his former self, he's all grey and his rear legs are very unreliable. He's still a happy energetic little guy but lately he's been wheezing a lot so think he has a flu or something.

Sorry if I brought the thread down :( we gave them baths earlier today which they HATE but now they're clean and their cage is fresh too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ugh. I think Rocky's time is coming up soon. His back legs are basically nonfunctional; poor little guy drags himself around. He barely moves, but when you play with him his front legs are strong and he's attentive and active, so it's just that his back legs are useless that's keeping him down. I'm seeing the vet Monday. I'm definitely in the Bargaining stage here; I just want him to hit 6 years, 6.5 years, something like that. His sister who is the same age as him is perfectly healthy.

If I ever get ferrets again I want to get some of the British ones that have polecat stock bred into them. They're hardy and they live a long time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Thread's been going well and in a positive direction for a few posts now, so it's time for a bringdown!

We are having Rocky put to sleep this afternoon. His back legs are paralyzed and whatever's happening to him is progressive. Poor little guy, he survived insulinoma and adrenal surgery. Time to rest little trooper.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

CompactFanny posted:

Sorry about your little dude. It is hard when they go but you're doing him the ultimate kindness. Also, he didn't survive insulinoma, it is terminal. Sorry I'm just the semantics police :v:

Well, he had it last summer, had part of his pancreas removed and from then until his death had no problems with his blood sugar or reappearance of symptoms. What got him appears to be some kind of spinal disorder.

We said goodbye this afternoon. It was rough, but now that I have some closure I'm less upset about him. He was a fighter and held on as long as he could but it was time to rest.

We're about to take our other two to a new apartment so it'll be a fun few days of ferret-proofing. Can't wait to see what kinds of seemingly impossibly small spaces they can get into, but not out of.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

So one of ours found a hole in the kitchen cabineting she can get into that doesn't appear to lead inside any of the cabinets. When she goes in there I hear a crinkling like plastic bags. She can come out and when she did last I grabbed her and put her in Ferret Jail but it worries me-- what if there's rat traps/poison in there? What if there are holes and she falls in one? I need to plug up the stupid thing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bella went off for surgery this morning. She's been losing hair from the tip of her tail so it's probably adrenal, but she has no other symptoms and her bloodwork came back clean so they're just gonna open her up and hoover out all of the tumors or w/e. Poor old lady, she'll be 7 in February and her grey hairs are noticeable but she still gamely jumps up whenever I squeak a squeaky toy. Our doctor is very very good so I'm confident that she'll be fine, but we can't really afford the surgery right now :(. I could never forgive myself if Bella died of something we could have prevented so we'll find a way.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Update: Bell came through surgery fine but woozy. She had a ton of growth on her right adrenal gland, which is really bad since its next to the vena cava and so it's hard to operate on. Our surgeon is great so he got about 90% of it and is biopsying it. If it's cancer then it'll probably be back in 6 months, while if it's benign it'll grow back so slowly she'll die of natural causes long before it becomes a problem. Either way he's not going to operate on her again, if it comes back it comes back.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I'll ask about it.

Dumbass Bella can't stop licking herself so her belly wound is bleeding and there's a bit of red tissue poking out. Tomorrow I'm taking her back to the vet to get her insides put inside and fit her with a teeny tiny Cone of Shame.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Yeah, her insides were put inside and then the doc replaced his sutures and put a layer of adhesive over, all free of charge. She is a Dumb Animal but she's no longer a partially-inverted Dumb Animal, and she has lots of energy. Hates being stuck in Sick Ferret Jail, though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bella is doing great and has been put back in the Big Pen with her rear end in a top hat sister. Picture to come later.

In the meantime we have a new game with Precious, Bella's fat angry sister. I grapple her and then execute a variety of pro wrestling moves like the People's Elbow, the Atomic Piledriver and the Skullcracker while shouting their names. She patiently waits for Daddy to get it out of his system, then when I put her back on the floor she starts spazzing out and dooking like crazy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Saying goodbye is always so hard, even when you know it's for the best.
I'm sorry for your loss.
In lighter news, Bella's tissue biopsy came back benign and all of her hair has grown back. Both of the girls have big fat winter bodies now and they're still terrible at running on hardwood floors. Lot of slipping and sliding.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Bella's been displaying pretty serious rear leg weakness tonight :(. I'll go take her to the vet, but 1) money's really tight for us lately and 2) she's more than seven years old and has already had one major surgery, so I think her time might be close to up. We'll see.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think tomorrow we will be saying goodbye to Bella, if she makes it through the night. Tough old girl is almost 8 but she's been through adrenal, insulinoma, and now her motor control is going and her head is canted all the way to the left and she can't stand up. Heartbreaking to watch. Ferrets are the saddest pets to have :(.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

She hung on like a trooper but today we took Bella in to say goodbye. Rest now, fuzzy one.

gently caress the world

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

precious is real old now and our kitten Molly harasses her, but I haven't heard any ferret hissing or yowling or seen any bottle brushing so I think she's ok. One time Molly started in on her while she was sleeping so precious just bit down on her face and wouldn't let go, then Molly ran off in defeat. The kitten definitely has her on weight and reach but she's a gigantic dumbass whereas precious has the warrior spirit from bossing around two other furts for years

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

where we live is very hot so precious just sleeps totally exposed on the floor. she doesn't have a cage anymore, just our room, which is free to her 24/7. she has a little zip up carrier we leave unzipped and a little house, so it's not like she doesn't have shelter to sleep in (and uses it sometimes) it is just hot hot hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

• Locked thread