Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Tifa here is either trying to steal my soul or entertain me. I can't figure out which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Serella posted:

I see you're keeping your ferret's habitat interesting. They love random piles more than anything.

her actual cage is boring. That box is her playtime box.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Dook is really the best way to describe it. Just go watch a youtube video.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

For thread cheering:

We took Tifa along on a weekend excursion and she hit that pose in her travel cage. The trip wasn't good for us or her, she's finally recovering from the stress of it.

Oh yeah, she tried to jump in the shower with me yesterday.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

A couple nights ago Tifa managed to knock half of one of the ramps between levels of her cage loose while climbing the sides of the cage. She was up at the top level and realized she wanted to get down, so she stretched out to grab the loose part of the ramp and tried to put it back in place so she could go back down the easy way. Of course she didn't exactly get it reattached, so when she stepped onto it she fell all the way to the bottom. She didn't get hurt in the fall, and we were just impressed that she realized that the ramp needed to be in position.

Last night, we didn't quite get the cage all the way shut and she got out for a while. Luckily it was in the fully ferret-proofed room, but man was she beat when we got her back into the cage:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

It had to happen. Bringing home a pair of farts next weekend from the rescue! I don't have any pictures of them to show off, though.

This also happened, which scared another volunteer.

Wait, these wouldn't happen to be from the GCFA based in Lyons IL, would they?

Also, ferts seem to like hockey equipment and especially the bags. Tifa tried to go play hockey with me:

Silly fert, you can't skate.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

No, actually. I've been by there numerous times because I use the electronics repair place at the end of the block, but never actually talked to anyone there.

I only put two and two together on that because of some pictures they had up on Facebook.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

This weekend is stupid bonkers for me with like six birthday parties, forced overtime, and a move.

I'm sure they'd love the help though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Dook-in-pot

Tifa is actually my girlfriends fert. She's trying to convince me to get one as well. I may cave easily.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

We're trying to figure out if we want to drive up to Glen Ellyn to the GCFA show. We probably will.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

We did end up getting a second dooker yesterday. A big guy we named Cloud. Comparison picture:

The GCFA people are awesome, but they're disappointed we didn't adopt through them. They mentioned they tend to adopt out in pairs of trios, but we're really only ready to go to two dooks and our allergies are only ready for two.

I'd like to do some volunteering up there though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

That's silly of them to say since although that's true, they have some that are alone in cages too! Pretty sure Toby is still available.

Oh well, enjoy the farts!

im gonna be going up to get that big three level ferret nation cage from them next weekend though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Segmentation Fox posted:

(ps please post more ferts)

We're learning more about Cloud's personality every day. For example, he gives ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKS:

I see no problem sleeping in my food bowl. None at all.

Don't mind me, i'm just sleeping next to my own poo poo.

On the plus side, he does enjoy being held far more than Tifa does.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I saw that. I was at work all day.

I did pick up that three level ferret nation cage yesterday. The ferrets love it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

We're not even using the third level at this point. I may eventually piece it together as a good travel cage though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

That's pretty lovely.

Speaking of GCFA, my girlfriend and I are going to be doing Sunday morning shifts there for the foreseeable future.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

DIP Annie

One of the things about volunteering at GCFA is that we get to know some of the shelter ferts fairly well, so we hauled Tifa and Cloud up to do a meet and greet with one of two pairs. They hit it off with a slightly older (3 years) pair that had already been in and out of the shelter twice. So we came home with Alucard and Palpatine.

The first thing we did with all four of them was set up long form play time in the apartment bedroom. I've never heard two ferrets so vocal before. I mean a half an hour of hard dooking. They were all out and going for a couple hours, we put them down for a nap, then my girlfriend put them all in our playpen so she could cook some food while I was out for hockey. We apparently got a dook pile during this, but I didn't get any evidence.

On Monday, I put them into the playpen while we were cooking dinner and caught this:

Left to right, Alucard, Palpatine, Tifa, Cloud (facing top of picture)

I couldn't be more pleased with how they're getting along, even if cloud gets bullied a bit.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

I made a cute gif.

That completely clarifies the pictures on facebook earlier.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Had a brief scare with Alucard yesterday. He managed to projectile vomit a few times in a two hour span. He was pretty normal aside from the hurling. Some Pepcid combined with clearing out his system seems to have straightened things out though. After a long sleep, he put down almost a third of a cup of food and was back to normal.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

moonsour posted:

The rescue has a frat house cage which is 7 boys that trash everything daily. Like blankets in the water bowl and sleeping bag in the litter box kind of trashed. And poop smears on the shelves.

Quote necromancy, but people at the shelter keep telling me about this cage setup and the nickname for it: The Beastie Boys.

Turns out Alucard and Palpatine were two of those seven. We didn't even know about that when we adopted them.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

They might have been. Alucard is an angel at home and Palpatine is now the lover of the group.

We're probably adopting two more. A HUGE six month old sable and his nine month old silver female cohort.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Yeah, we did end up adopting them... then we broke up and I had to move back to my parents, so she's got all six and I get to go play with them whenever I want. Rocket (now Barrett) actually didn't end up getting much bigger, but he's in really good shape. Lillith is INCREDIBLY independent and constantly nosing into stuff on her own. They integrated pretty quickly.

Did you see the near-feral pair of girls when you were there? The first day there we had to wrap them in towels and physically constrict them to keep them from full force biting during nail trimming. They're doing a lot better now, but the difference between a play bit and an actual bite is astounding.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

She hung on like a trooper but today we took Bella in to say goodbye. Rest now, fuzzy one.

gently caress the world

Just to pile on, the Chicago area shelter lost it's venerable elder fert, Pinkie, this morning.

At 9:15 he greeted the other volunteer, myself, the manager, then laid down in the litter box which raised all sorts of red flags. Blood sugar was all wrong, got a sugar boost, soup, and his meds. An hour later his sugar had dropped even further, and the manager just scooped him up and took him to the vet.

When she got back, she said he was basically gone by the time she walked in the vet office at around 11:15.

I'm gonna miss that guy. He was a sweetheart and had just recently been put some cage mates he really loved being with. At least he got a solid eight years in, even if a bunch of it was at the shelter.

Grizzly is now the grizzled veteran/occasional rear end in a top hat of the shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Ok, less sad. More dooks. Here's a Cloud photo dump.

Bleh to all of you:

Time to relax:

Y hallo thar:

Bonus good picture of Lillith (because she's impossible to get good pictures of):

• Locked thread