Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Madmarker posted:

Ok, well I resolved the issues with ferret proofing the apartment, thick plastic and some tape did the trick. But now I need a little help here with the ferret's pooping habits. I know that she'll never be perfectly litter trained, but this ferret seems to actively avoid the litter box. I routinely clean it, and wash it out every few days, however she still seems to avoid it even with Fresh Litter. There are 2 places in the cage she likes to relieve herself, and whichever one I put the Litter Box in, she goes to the other one. Any ideas on how to litter train her better? I mean, whenever I catch her going in the litter box, as soon as she's done I give her a treat, but can't think of a better solution. Any ideas? I mean, worst case scenario, I'll just be buying paper towels by the pallet at Costco, so its not a huge issue, but it is annoying.

On the plus side though, she has only pooped out of the cage once, and that was the second day I had her, otherwise she does wait to get back in the cage, so no real complaints with that behavior.

Advice: don't bother training and put down puppy pads where she likes to poop. You can get them bulk, trim them to the cage size, and they work incredibly well. Ferrets have like a 60% hit rate on where you want them to poop because they're like OMG GOTTA POOP NOW OOH A CORNER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Everyone likes to sleep under the desk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Cless Alvein posted:

I am still amazed at how much my little fuckers eat and poo poo. The two of them combined probably don't even weigh 5 lbs. Yet they tear through a 15 lb bag of cat food faster than the 40 lb dog does through a 30lb bag.

Like 3 hours from mouth to rear end, it's amazing.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Get some carnivore care. It is the poo poo when it comes to sick ferrets.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Lookit that dook all I want to do is scratch its belly

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Lookit all of those dooks. Those are mighty nice dooks. I want them all :(

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Yeah they do.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
I have model 142, which is discontinued. This one here is the replacement for 142:

http://www.ferretnation.net/shop/ferret-nation-cages/midwest-pets-ferret-nation-182-double-unit-cage-in-gray/

And the description says that the ramps fold up to lock in place for separation and cleaning.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Update: Bell came through surgery fine but woozy. She had a ton of growth on her right adrenal gland, which is really bad since its next to the vena cava and so it's hard to operate on. Our surgeon is great so he got about 90% of it and is biopsying it. If it's cancer then it'll probably be back in 6 months, while if it's benign it'll grow back so slowly she'll die of natural causes long before it becomes a problem. Either way he's not going to operate on her again, if it comes back it comes back.

Can you get an implant? They are pretty amazing when combined with surgery.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
So goddamn cute

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Current ferret status: contemplating making GBS threads on your hand and then ripping your face off.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Kitten. An adult will probably be an issue and think they're prey. Our cat was introduced as a kitten, and she thinks she's a fert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think tomorrow we will be saying goodbye to Bella, if she makes it through the night. Tough old girl is almost 8 but she's been through adrenal, insulinoma, and now her motor control is going and her head is canted all the way to the left and she can't stand up. Heartbreaking to watch. Ferrets are the saddest pets to have :(.

Ferrets are the best pets to have, and you had almost 8 great years with a wonderful dook. I'm sorry for your loss.

• Locked thread