Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i dont deny the ladies access to my dilz thats for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Shaggar posted:

no ones denying anyone access to anything

thats not what the internet says

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

denying everyone access to the internet might be best tbh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zen death robot posted:

actually im pretty sure they pay their bills but traffic prioritization is kind of a janky idea unless it's your own private intranet

basically it's only a bad idea in the same way forcing people to pay progressive taxes is a bad idea

it's only opposed by people who stand to profit on top of already obscene profits

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theadder posted:

denying everyone access to the internet might be best tbh
i can get behind this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

nationalize all cable/fiber

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

give it to usps who should also be your local public bank

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also have them handle email

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

duTrieux. posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also stop trying to gently caress them over fiscally by having to over fund pensions

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zen death robot posted:

like Comcast, for instance

no mostly like google and netflix and the like

they use a vastly larger share of resources and should be forced to pay accordingly

comcast really doesn't enter into the equation, they're going to profit one way or another, it's just whether or not you're willing to subsidize google's ever-growing slice of the pie

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

this isn't going to work because politicians are patient and capable of playing the long game and everyone who uses the internet has no long term memory

no one is planning anti-net neutrality stuff and it has never been anywhere close to passing. why do you idiots still think this

zen death robot posted:

:ssh: Comcast is pushing really hard for it

they absolutely are not

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

here is what I dont get about net neutrality:

company pays peer to host service == ok

company pays ISP to host service == OMG PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

should have made the pages load like this for protesting:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
honestly i dont care anymore. net neutrality is a good thing and people who are opposed to it are bad corporations. but also all the people super in favor of net neutrality are terrible and i'm just done caring. if the internet gets bad i'll be very happy to go back to books. i'll feel bad for the poors but they dont have ineternet now anyway

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

honestly i dont care anymore. net neutrality is a good thing and people who are opposed to it are bad corporations. but also all the people super in favor of net neutrality are terrible and i'm just done caring. if the internet gets bad i'll be very happy to go back to books. i'll feel bad for the poors but they dont have ineternet now anyway

no major corporations are opposed to net neutrality

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it's funny how many people are angry about companies paying for better access as if its in any way new.

internet companies have been doing it since the mid 90s, with microsoft being the first truly major player when they got direct links and local mirrors set up to ensure windows update went at full speed in the late 90s.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

NZ post office used to be a bank and own all the telephone. must have been salad days

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

this is not comcast opposing net neutrality

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

network prioritization is bad, in general, for everyone

network prioritization is good and has existed for over 20 years. it's called buying your own links and paying for in-network hosting.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

except when you want your Skype call to not cut In and out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

correct, on your own network it's totally fine

do you really think AT&T, Comcast, Time-Warner (assuming the government doesn't allow Comcast to buy them up) will implement prioritization tiers in an intelligent way that's fair to their end users or if they'll use it to make up for lost revenue from people pulling the plug on their TV services?

they don't have any plans to actually institute prioritization tiers since they already have everyone they'd charge for them payign them money for direct links and in network hosting.

they make up the revenue from people not buying cable by a) owning a major tv and movie producer b) through that being partners with many popular online video streaming sites and c) from all that getting massive amounts of ad revenue and royalties whether people are watching on broadcast tv, on cable, or through hulu or even youtube (official channels of course)

like do you not get that. something like a quarter of netflix's content is licensed from comcast universal now. comcast gets paid when anyone on any network wants to stream any of that, effectively.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

they don't have any plans to actually institute prioritization tiers

lol if you actually believe this

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

lol if you actually believe this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wikipedia doesnt 'believe' stuff

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

someone tried to explain to me why net neutrality is bad and i think my head nearly exploded

i guess someone is getting internet they didn't pay for because they paid someone else instead that they also didn't pay for?

cause that sounds pretty good, where do i sign up to get free poo poo

funny thing is i don't hear anyone bitching about cell carriers not counting certain streaming sites against your data allotment, which sure sounds like not being neutral to me. sure they don't prioritize the data but they still promote one site over another

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I'm a ok with no net neutrality as long as speeds don't decrease.

if it's doing what Microsoft is doing and shifting their update servers physically into the same space as the network provider, that's only going to speed it up. It doesn't necessitate slowing other things down.

Thats fine, company wants to pay for a better product? company can pay for a better product.

what I won't accept is the intentional bottle necking of bandwidth to customers of certain websites in order to 'coax' said companies to buy internal rack space. That poo poo is anti competitive and brings up a whole host of issues.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ocrassus posted:

what I won't accept is the intentional bottle necking of bandwidth to customers of certain websites in order to 'coax' said companies to buy internal rack space. That poo poo is anti competitive and brings up a whole host of issues.

lol if you think it will be anything but this

the lesson here is that nothing comes between an MBA and the money they think they deserve

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
man who gives a poo poo
theres not a single person that wouldnt pay more for a nonshitty internet, especially in the net hellhole thats called america

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

every time I think im close to figuring this out shaggar or stymie says something and im like welp back to start

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Face Joe posted:

every time I think im close to figuring this out shaggar or stymie says something and im like welp back to start

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

:allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's basically:

- the internet is a series of networks, that are all interconnected

- ISPs own their own networks

- if content is on your own network, it's faster, due to the design of the internet

- ISPs are happy to let people pay to put stuff on the ISPs' networks

- net neutrality advocates (the companies) don't want to have to pay

- net neutrality advocates (the people) think that ISPs are going to make the internet into a tiered cable TV-like package, due to the companies in the previous point

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

computer parts posted:

- net neutrality advocates (the people) think that ISPs are going to make the internet into a tiered cable TV-like package, due to the companies in the previous point
so they're not actually asking for that because nobody would be insane enough to agree, but if the language ends up getting worked out in a way that allows it, we're supposed to trust that they won't?

and it just happens that language that opposes that would allow these fuckers who aren't paying to host their data where it's actually used to keep not paying, so they're trumping up fears of the tiered internet scenario?

is that about the size of it? cause holy gently caress i thought comcast were evil geniuses but thats some masterstroke poo poo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CrashCat posted:

so they're not actually asking for that because nobody would be insane enough to agree, but if the language ends up getting worked out in a way that allows it, we're supposed to trust that they won't?

yeah, because the internet doesn't work that way

like, from the isp perspective all they really care about is the path and quantity of the data, not which company is using that path. that's why right now you're seeing fights between peering companies and ISPs instead of companies (the one exception being netflix but they're quietly solving that with direct peering and their amount of data is incredible)

the other major difference is that tv studios are much more...centralized, for lack of a better term, while the internet is not

like, the top 10 tv stations are owned by probably 2-3 companies (and a lot of the other ones are owned by these same companies), whereas the top 10 websites are owned by vastly different corporations, some of which aren't even on the same continent (baidu and qq, specifically). even if you just limit it to english language websites, there's enough disparity that it's really hard to lockdown the content, and if some website suddenly blows up you have to scramble to renegotiate everything

basically the internet is a chaotic mess and it probably will be for at least the near future

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zen death robot posted:

- it's all kind of bullshit because the monthly bill you get is supposed to pay for your providers network costs + provide them with a profit, the content providers most certainly pay their own bandwidth costs as well. charging outside content providers for higher prioritization is essentially a double-dip and a mba's wet dream

in much the same way that charging taxes on walmart to have a store in your city limits is double dipping since they already have a store they're paying taxes on in the city down the road

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

all transmission lines must be nationalized

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/09/17/how-chattanooga-beat-google-fiber-by-half-a-decade/

(and all nobles must hang)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

You do know the new "2014 Net Neutrality" FCC Proposal allows for prioritization, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/technology/fcc-new-net-neutrality-rules.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

and the prioritization means allowed are the exact same things that have already been allowed and in use for the past 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pooning newbs as usual from my posting throne

• Locked thread