Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Shaggar posted:

for grandma who has an sd tv this is good. that $10 is the entire hd tier that she doesn't need.
thanks grandma

please die grandma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

what about the channel-specific "click here and watch our entire tv lineup" sites that every network seems to run for free?

off the top of my head i know global, ctv, cbc, city & slice all let me watch shows that aired last week/month or a few hours ago by clicking a button and tolerating their crashy video player

those aren't real networks. also your taxes pay for cbc.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and global & ctv (and maybe city) are "local programming" so they may not compete as aggressively with the cableco/isp monoliths, but lots of other channels behind the cableco's paywall are watchable online for "free"

someone has to be paying for that somehow

quote:

those aren't real networks

hm interesting

quote:

In addition to these licensed networks, the two main private English-language over-the-air services, CTV and Global, are also generally considered to be "networks" by virtue of their national coverage, although they are not officially licensed as such. CTV was previously a licensed network, but relinquished this licence in 2001 after acquiring most of its affiliates, making operating a network licence essentially redundant (per the above definition).

Smaller groups of stations with common branding are often categorized by industry watchers as television systems, although the public and the broadcasters themselves will often refer to them as "networks" regardless. Some of these systems, such as CTV Two and the now-defunct E!, essentially operate as mini-networks, but have reduced geographical coverage. Others, such as Omni Television or the Crossroads Television System, have similar branding and a common programming focus, but schedules may vary significantly from one station to the next. City originally began operating as a television system in 2002 when CKVU-TV in Vancouver started to carry programs originating from and adopted the then "Citytv" branding used by CITY-TV in Toronto, but gradually became a network by virtue of national coverage through expansions into other markets west of Atlantic Canada between 2005 and 2013.

so i've learned my thing for today because shaggar is right

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

you're describing network peering agreements

that's not what this is even about

the peering agreements and in-bounds caching are the actual prioritization.

and the companies with them already have the highest possible speeds into and out of the isp networks that they can possibly obtain.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

and global & ctv (and maybe city) are "local programming" so they may not compete as aggressively with the cableco/isp monoliths, but lots of other channels behind the cableco's paywall are watchable online for "free"

do they got ads. the ads pay.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in the us some channels are offered over the internet to cable subscribers and require a cable account to login and use. some provide these directly on their site (nbcsports) and others are provided thru the cable co via apps or w/e. They're considered part of the subscription and you cant buy access to only the channel, you have to have a full cable sub that includes the channel.

wrt those local programs they're just streaming as an extension of the open air broadcasts they likely already do. This is not common in the us because every local channel is its own franchise with their own programming and the content rights negotiations to get those channels up and streaming would probably be a nightmare.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

hm interesting

so i've learned my thing for today because shaggar is right

also they are not real networks because they are Canadian. they are American content distributors.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

yeah that sort of thing has been going on for years and years, and gently caress anyone that has a problem with that. from my understanding the real beef is with the rule changes that allow for packet shaping and qos to be implemented so that certain applications/traffic get preferential treatment regardless of the peering arrangements. to be totally honest i don't really give a poo poo if they qos bittorrent guys into the ground, but i do think the FCC needs to be able to regulate and review these things in order to make sure that legitimate usage isn't being impacted unfairly if it's going to happen.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here, the actual FCC proposal is pretty much impossible to read if you enjoy actually doing things with your life

qos and packet shaping is already legit allowed though

the thing is the fcc proposal is basically restating all the various things companies do and deciding most of them are now to be explicitly allowed. a lot of these are things that people have been ignorant of for a long time even though they've been used often quite widely.

and the other funny things is justa bout all of this is eqaully allowed in other countries.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the FCC isn't doing anything because they are a reactionary body. if it turns in to an anti-competitive pay to play scheme, then they will step in and start cracking skulls. QoS is only going to take effect on links that have congestion from multiple customers, so the peering links from folks like level3. the ISPs can't hold the people trying to move content around hostage because they always have the option to go back to a CDN or pay for a dedicated link in to an ISP and the "correct" price will be found through negotiation and exploiting the multiple options

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hey neato, fcc chairman tom wheeler has the same name as cable company lobbyist and CTIA ceo tom wheeler

whatever happened to that second guy

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the FCC isn't doing anything because they are a reactionary body. if it turns in to an anti-competitive pay to play scheme, then they will step in and

pass out resumes so they can get jobs lobbying for big telecom after they are done being at the fcc

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lobbyists are often necessary because the target of the laws being crafted are way way too complex for some bumblefuck rep and staff to write correctly so they need input and assistance drafting legislation. the process can be abused to high hell and you need good legislature to make sure public interests are being served in the process instead of being railroaded. where the hell do you think they're going to get someone with the required knowledge and experience to oversee regulation of telecommunications?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

but please, submit your YOSPOS posting history when you apply for the FCC chair and see how far that gets you with your big ideas

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the fcc is unironically one of the best national level communications regulatory agencies in the world

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

just get political commissars in all tech companies, they're festering shitpits of bad politics anyway

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lobbyists are often necessary because the target of the laws being crafted are way way too complex for some bumblefuck rep and staff to write correctly so they need input and assistance drafting legislation. the process can be abused to high hell and you need good legislature to make sure public interests are being served in the process instead of being railroaded. where the hell do you think they're going to get someone with the required knowledge and experience to oversee regulation of telecommunications?

you're right, an industry insider can do a good job if they have meaningful oversight, but wouldn't it be just as good to promote someone from within the ranks of a professional public service after a career spent learning about government and regulation, instead of hiring them directly from the upper echelons of the industries they're supposed to be regulating only to release them back into their loving arms when their terms expire. i don't think anyone believes elected reps are in any way qualified to run the departments they're "responsible" for

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

ideally you'd promote them from within the ranks of a professional public service after a career spent learning about government and regulation, instead of hiring them directly from the upper echelons of the industries they're supposed to be regulating only to release them back into their loving arms when their terms expire. i don't think anyone believes elected reps are in any way qualified to run the departments they're "responsible" for

you can't learn about "regulation" without learning about what you're regulating.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

no very true

industry execs plus meaningful oversight is a good recipe for success, just hope to hell that oversight doesn't fail

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

you can't learn about "regulation" without learning about what you're regulating.

are there no other positions in the fcc other than the chairman and the board? can't you come up through the system?

e: i legit do not understand how your government works

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

are there no other positions in the fcc other than the chairman and the board? can't you come up through the system?

e: i legit do not understand how your government works

you don't understand how regulation works, apparently.

how are you going to work your way from mailroom clerk to the ability to understand the implications and mechanisms of the industry and how new regulations would affect that?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

you don't understand how regulation works, apparently.

how are you going to work your way from mailroom clerk to the ability to understand the implications and mechanisms of the industry and how new regulations would affect that?

by finishing school and joining a career track that leads you through the managerial levels to the executive ones?

the head of the CRTC didn't hatch from an egg laid by the telcos, he worked his way up by spending a few decades as a legal analyst, manager and exec at the department responsible for most federal spending regulations, and at the department he now leads

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

by finishing school and joining a career track that leads you through the managerial levels to the executive ones?

the head of the CRTC didn't hatch from an egg laid by the telcos, he worked his way up by spending a few decades as a worker, manager and exec at the department responsible for most federal spending regulations, and at the department he now leads

the crtc is a 1000 times more cozy with the industries it regulates than the fcc is though.

like ridiculously corrupt and allowing tons of abuses of canadian communications customers.

also that guy id not spend decades at the crtc he appears to have shifted around multiple countries and government departments with no special knowledge of communications??

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 11, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

well yeah, but the guy at the top looks relatively clean :thumbsup:

"effective government oversight" is a fantasy i sometimes have

e: i meant decades in the PS, i thought he spent most of his time in the vaults at TBS

idk what the right answer is, but it's pretty clear that you can't gain the knowledge you need to run the system effectively without being buddies with the people who'd love to use that same system to gently caress the rest of us

so you find out who's in charge of overseeing you, you play golf with him and then try not to take over the world all at once

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

well yeah, but the guy at the top looks relatively clean :thumbsup:

"effective government oversight" is a fantasy i sometimes have

America has it. the FCC actually works.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

that is unironically interesting to me and i would like to read more about this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

interesting, the way it's been presented in the media makes it seem like it wasn't allowed before

yeah that's one way you know you shouldn't listen to them. lots of folks are claiming network neutrality is tradition but in fact it has never existed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zen death robot posted:

interesting, the way it's been presented in the media makes it seem like it wasn't allowed before

companies want to associate themselves with HELPING YOU PROTECT NET NEUTRALITY because it's positive branding, even though there was pretty much no chance of anything bad happening to begin with.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah but what if i just oppose anything comcast wants via new legislation on basic principles

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah but what if i just oppose anything comcast wants via new legislation on basic principles

then you're stupid??? p simple

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zen death robot posted:

and that's when it hit me, i had learned to love big telecom

now do GMOs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
u don't need to know much about telecom to provide effective oversight though

like you don't need to know about edge routers and qos and ipv6 and any of that nerd poo poo, you just need to know that internet is getting slower, there's only one cable co in town and guess what their prices are going up, and if you don't like that then your alternatives are basically 5mbit dsl and satellite internet ("did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?" "i believe i did, bob")

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

u don't need to know much about telecom to provide effective oversight though

like you don't need to know about edge routers and qos and ipv6 and any of that nerd poo poo, you just need to know that internet is getting slower, there's only one cable co in town and guess what their prices are going up, and if you don't like that then your alternatives are basically 5mbit dsl and satellite internet ("did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?" "i believe i did, bob")

yep that's exactly what the net neutrality people want you to think

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Dog posted:

you just need to know that internet is getting slower

"you just need to know something provably false" ah yes sound insight

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Actually you need to understand both sides so you dont make laws that actually degrade service

like saying no QoS what so ever.

oh no no nobody can make a voice call

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

Actually you need to understand both sides so you dont make laws that actually degrade service

like saying no QoS what so ever.

oh no no nobody can make a voice call

I mean if you're running out of bandwidth time to raise prices to make supply and demand meet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
is 'raising prices' code for 'indexing to inflation'

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jimmy Carter posted:

I mean if you're running out of bandwidth time to raise prices to make supply and demand meet

ah yes because everyone loves higher bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nintendo Kid posted:

"you just need to know something provably false" ah yes sound insight
i think that the dog was being hypothetical

• Locked thread