Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
"Hey guys, sidenote, how about that uninterrupted job creation :smug::obama:"

:911:

how many times has he said america?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
lol what is this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:frogsiren:

Freep posted:

HUGE MISTATEMENT:

he said that we had to do this to protect Sunni, Shia from horrible persecution as well as Christians AND OTHER MINORITY RELIGIONS...

So, poor sentence structure or a true feeling??

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
It's like a mini State of the Union!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Dude this is not exactly selling the seriousness of a threat when you spend the last quarter of the speech just talking about America.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

why are we talking about ebola

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

J33uk posted:

Dude this is not exactly selling the seriousness of a threat when you spend the last quarter of the speech just talking about America.

Yeah this is kind of weird.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oh god, its worse than Obama as a secret muslim: Obama is a secret peacock worshipper

Lawman 0 posted:

why are we talking about ebola

To give the Danes an out from bombing muslims.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Christ did the speechwriter have a stroke half way through? It was fine and then just boom

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama's ME policy: Contain Russian interests. Kill all who oppose us in advancing that agenda. Eradicate with full force of Eastern European combat troops.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

J33uk posted:

Uh, the audience is Americans and we love hearing bout Mercia.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

He's what one of them said:

Unintelligible Arabic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Trufact

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Now back to talking about Iraq.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That end bit felt like the closing monologue of a Cosmos episode

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This is kind of a weird speech and I don't think I like it. Obama channelling Bush.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

:siren: ARE TROOPS :siren:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh I know it just tonally felt weird as hell

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah this is kind of weird.

how is this weird?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How are u posted:

This is kind of a weird speech and I don't think I like it. Obama channelling Bush.

yeah he really is

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
He really needs to fire his speechwriters.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

How are u posted:

How's still living in 2008 working out for you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are u posted:

This is kind of a weird presidency and I don't think I like it. Obama channelling Bush.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

This. Given all the crises (and flagging support for the President,) I think having the last quarter dedicated to a good old fashioned 'merica pep talk was actually a good idea.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is CSPAN letting people call in?

Asbestos Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
I was really hoping that he'd clarify just how he planned on bombing ISIS in Syria without directly supporting Assad. But he just kinda breezed past that point, didn't he?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

When he said ISIS isn't Islamic I pictured his speechwriters committing seppuku.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Is CSPAN letting people call in?

Awww yeah

http://www.c-span.org/video/?321398-2/presidential-address-islamic-state-threat&live

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Truly the problem with the Norsemen is out of hand. Surely King Æthelred will drive them from our lands.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Asbestos Fresh posted:

I was really hoping that he'd clarify just how he planned on bombing ISIS in Syria without directly supporting Assad. But he just kinda breezed past that point, didn't he?

I explained this what feels like a month ago now in the ME thread. It isn't who you bomb, its where you bomb them. Say, bomb any convoys engaged with Kurdish or Real Syrian troops and let ISIS and Assad loyalists kill each other.

E:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Truly the problem with the Norsemen is out of hand. Surely King Æthelred will drive them from our lands.

The audience is the world, not just Americans. Different parts of the speech crafted for different audiences. ISIS is not islamic is for the islamic world. Ebola threat is for European cowards too afraid to fight terrorists and need an out to give to their own people. No American boots on ground is for American viewers and Russian analysts, to be read as American combat capacity being placed in East Europe.

E:

Eradicate, a direct message to ISIL supporters, sympathizers, and potential supporters. You oppose us? We'll give others American weapons to kill you that can only be countered through air superiority. Whats that, America has air superiority? gently caress you and MLRS death.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 11, 2014

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

J33uk posted:

Oh I know it just tonally felt weird as hell

I guess? Personally I can't really remember when that sort of basically unrelated pep-talk hasn't been a normal part of any Presidential speech, regardless of topic or situation.

Like yeah, out of context it's bizarre but it's pretty much what happens at some point in all of these things

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So is this more Berlin Take My Breath Away or Nena 99 Luftballons?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Oh god c-span Republican caller saying America needs to focus more on home than other nations and doesn't feel safe around minorities driving in LA

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

So the President has a secret coalition to fight ISIS I see.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are you suggesting that Æthelred was somehow..."unready" to deal with the Norsemen?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Amused to Death posted:

Oh god c-span Republican caller saying America needs to focus more on home than other nations and doesn't feel safe around minorities driving in LA

But, but he said he was a minority himself?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Majorian posted:

Are you suggesting that Æthelred was somehow..."unready" to deal with the Norsemen?

Obama should walk down to the shores of the Potomac and try to push back the Islamic tide.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fits my needs posted:

But, but he said he was a minority himself?

As a business owner,

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

As a business owner,

From a family of business owners,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Obama should walk down to the shores of the Potomac and try to push back the Islamic tide.

I'll tell Rand Paul this idea next time I run into him.

• Locked thread