Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lloyd Boner posted:

The bracket/seeding/picks system owns.

Yeah, that added a cool new wrinkle to the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

The fight is going to be like 30 seconds long. Still not quicker than Ronda's last one for the title. Women's fighting Owns and owns.

This show is 2 hours, yo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This is a pretty drat fun fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

TUF owns when established fighters are introduced, not 4-2 idiots from regional promotions

This is strawweight, established fighters are 4-2 idiots from regional promotions

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

double negative posted:

Also gotta say, one of my favorite fighters in the division, Mizuki Inoue, isn't on the show, presumably because she doesn't speak English, but hopefully she'll be in the UFC soon as well. She's already beaten Bec Hyatt and Alex Chambers, and is just 20 years old.

They legally aren't allowed to put people below 21 in the house because of the liquor situation; it's why Lauzon's younger brother went directly into the UFC.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Hard on the mental"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

The division is like barely a couple years old, no fight outcome would shock me.

Yeah, pretty much this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

So I guess this goes the distance? Based on how much time is left on the broadcast.

Not necessarily, they do house drama poo poo after the fights sometimes (probably to change up so people aren't always doing what you just did)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I wonder if Scotland going independent tomorrow would gently caress up Calderwood's visa

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'd bet anything Felice Herrig was given pretty good instruction to do exactly what she's doing by Dana White.

If you'd ever seen Felice Herrig before this you'd be well aware that nobody needs to instruct her to do any of this.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Faber looks really odd with facial hair.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

All of this is making me look forward to the other seasons on my list after season 4. So far Matt Serra has been great. Seeing him corner the guy that knocked him out previously and guide him to victory was awesome. Seems like a solid guy to have in your corner regardless of context though. Also weird seeing George St. Pierre as a training coach that barely speaks on the show.

Shonie Carter's outfits were worth watching season 4 on their own. Sad that he lost 11 of his last 13 fights before retirement though.

I believe I've told this story before, but Shonie at one point did a seminar at the gym I used to train at. After teaching an hour's worth of submission escapes and suplexes, he went into the shower room, showered, and emerged wearing a purple zoot suit and zebra-striped shoes, then asked where the nearest club was.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ogantai posted:

Was followed by the incident when he went out and got so drunk that he ended up in Turkey without any idea of how he got there, or am I confusing my goon-Shonie stories?

That was a separate incident. It did happen later than this one, but the two were separated by months iirc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Pettis wearing tights a size too small and cup a size too big

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jesus christ, was Angela a mass-murderer in a previous life or something?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Magaņa is weapons-grade crazy :stare:

So would most people be if their entire lives had been the endless parade of "Haha, gently caress you!" that hers appears to have been

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Wow, Magaņa kind of got hosed with that standup

Not really. It was a bad standup but she wasn't really getting anything from that position and probably would've either sat there till the round end or been shucked off at that point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Lmao someone gif that overhand hammer fist

How has not a single coach on Pettis' team told her to stop doing that

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kensei posted:

I love the format this season with the seeding, I hope they do this again.

Is Pettis just a better judge of talent, a better coach or something else? 6-0 is impressive as hell to me.

It looks so far like mostly that he's just very good at picking matchups.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Heather: My ACL is fully torn, I'll be getting surgery and out for nine months.

*Dead silence from everyone else in the room as Gil attempts to sound sympathetic*

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That shot of the oncoming Vegas storm was drat pretty.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Rose is a baaaad lady. I like the way she mixes side kicks and roundhouses, it's unpredictable.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

hahahaha you weird loving goon

It's not really that weird to become more of a fan of someone after they fight at a disadvantage and win.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

niethan posted:

lets rather talk about how pat barry is 35 and rose is 22 and they've been dating for a while

2 years, iirc.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
20 and 33 is kind of a big age difference but on the other hand Pat's mental age hovers around 12 or so

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Like big age differences generally are suspicious because the older partner is often using the power imbalance as a tool of manipulation, but I honestly think Pat would have a hard time manipulating a two-button mouse, let alone Rose

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Himuro posted:

Melendez said that Bec was a great boxer. What boxing experience does she have? I wasn't impressed with her stances or footwork.

Melendez also said that Jake Shields is a good striker.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The women aren't on the same level yet, though. Did you see that kimura attempt near the start of the season? It was like "I don't know which my arms are supposed to go uhhh"

That has more to do with JoJo being Scottish than being a woman.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also I really enjoy the way that everyone is claiming that Bec being a jerk means she'll never get better at fighting, which is contrary to basically everything we've seen in mma over the last 20 years or so.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Nobody said that.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If she worried less about sleeping arrangements maybe she could learn some better footwork.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My favorite thing about JoJo was showing a highlight of her fights to a Scottish friend of mine who neither follows nor watches mma, and the first thing he said was "She looks like she's from Kilmarnock"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The Coaches Challenge this year is...Trivia

Pettis loses after twisting his knee hitting the buzzer too hard

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kensei posted:

I lol'd this challenge, thank god Fatherdog was not there to make Gil look bad.

I actually would've got the last one wrong too; I answered 14

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I actually would've got the last one wrong too; I answered 14

(Griffin and Irvin weren't title defenses)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Wise Learned Man posted:

I think that little pattycake ditty was TUF's low point. Not jizz sushi

Just gonna remind you of this

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Trast posted:

It seems like a lot of the cast are hurting their brand. The only ones I see as really taking advantage of things in the positive are Randa by beating two fighters ranked above her, Jojo in the exposure she gets as being one of the sane ones, and Rose being Thug Rose. Everyone else seems to devolve into twitter tantrums.

Aisling Daly has been portrayed pretty positively so far, to the extent that she's been portrayed at all. Her rooting for her teammates was humanizing and she ain't lost yet.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Trast posted:

That is true. But I get the feeling the UFC wouldn't be all in on her if they were given the choice. But her and JoJo being professional and calm in the middle of any drama that was going on has been nice.

I don't think they're going all in on her because I don't think they think she's good enough to go all in on; if she was good enough to work her way in to the top echelons they'd be thrilled to get behind her because it's another fighter to put on Conor McGregor cards

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I feel bad for Daley, every single time the camera is on her she's the epitome of :geno:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

also she has the world's worst haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's not uncommon for a Scot to have a drinking problem

• Locked thread