Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

I have a date with a karate hottie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I didn't really think Rose was very charismatic in the first episode, but I think they made the correct decision to keep Pat's screen time to a minimum

mewse
May 2, 2006

Keith Mars posted:

Pettis with the "women are emotional :confused:" line to excuse his bad coaching, instead of accepting his team's feedback that they are indeed being overcoached. Gilbert seems way more chill to train under.

That was pretty brutal. The entire team wanted to voice their displeasure at having too many cooks and he's like "ok hey if you don't want to be coached, take it or leave it"

e: Although kudos to him for spotting that one girl was upset during training and jumping on it immediately

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

also, i think i'm slightly in love with jojo, like any right-thinking man

I called dibs already

mewse
May 2, 2006

Calling dibs on Mike Ricci as well

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

She's clearly very talented, but I question whether she has the goods to become champion. That "kimura" attempt last weak enlightened me to her limitations.

It was a British kimura

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's not showboating because he's taking his mind off the physical activity he's doing.

Matt Hughes has cognitive dissonance.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The infamous Noah "I am a former Marine Sniper" Thomas and Marlon "Let me tell you about that time I fought the entire state of Califorina and won" Sims fight. Reffed by ad hoc third man in the octagon yard and "Monstah Lobstah" (not to be confused with https://www.monstalobsta.net)- owner Allen "Mahnstah Lahbstah" Berube.

Episode literally entiled Ep. 508 Not on the Concrete, if you have FightPass.

I like how Nate Diaz was one of the sane ones

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hollandia posted:

Normally I can at least find a superficial reason to root for one side, but in this one I wanted them to both lose somehow.

I'm honestly shocked that there is a person in the world who convinced me to cheer for Felice Herrig

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

Carla's anger w/ the Torres matter [which Tecia can't control herself] looks incredibly shady

I was annoyed with all of the backlash at Tecia returning. What did they think the UFC was going to do? I would have excused "she doesn't deserve to come back because she already lost" because I guess that's fair but having Melendez escalate the problem to Dana like the UFC would give Bec a pass to the next round??

And then team pettis shunning Tecia, I hope that was just editing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not sure how much the coaching would actually affect established fighters like this

I think logically you wouldn't expect it to make a big difference but it seems like it really does. As Willie pointed out, the coaches can push their guys too hard when they're fighting in a matter of days. Tito and his "team punishment" crap were an example of that.

Rampage's coaching was really bad with him repeatedly saying "I'm a fighter, not a coach". On the same season, Rashad showed a really interesting ability to get his guys psyched up right before they'd make their walk to the ring.

Chael's handling of his team and Uriah Hall in particular make me wish he'd turn to coaching but there's probably a lot more money in being a famous media personality.

Lastly I don't think any TUF coach has built team morale as much as Big Nog did on his season. He treated the random athletes they handed to him as his family, and the team gelled in a really amazing way.

Gilbert's coaching doesn't strike me as outright bad, they didn't make great picks and there's the big fracture of their team into scrapettes and non-scrapettes. I know Duke Roufus is an amazing coach - is he on Pettis' coaching team? If he's not then his example is inspiring Pettis

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Rose is a baaaad lady. I like the way she mixes side kicks and roundhouses, it's unpredictable.

Rose's standup was fuckin amazing. Her punches are ludicrously fast.

e: One of the things I really liked was when Rose waited until Alex was in range and snapped a punch at her, it landed clean and Alex fled backwards, Rose didn't chase her. Was like "if you get in my range you're going to get tagged"

mewse fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 8, 2014

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm glad we've moved past the discussion about bleeding vaginas and started enforcing social norms about age differences on two cage fighters we generally like

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yuriy posted:

oh no its a bunch of stupid poo poo and for once im not involved

Lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Who gives a big ole' gently caress about Pat and Roses age difference? Jesus Christ.

Seriously. I wish we could end that derail and get back to the legitimate conversation about menstruation

mewse
May 2, 2006

Meowbot posted:

I would like to see JoAnne keep winning because she is kind of my favorite so far next to Rose.

It's a goddamn tragedy that they're matched against each other for the next round

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

As a non-cable man, this show is literally the only show I cannot somehow legally obtain to watch. I pay for fightpass, hulu, amazon prime, share a hbo go account with my dad, I loving do everything but I cannot justify $2.99 to watch this live.

Yeah it's somewhat frustrating. Wish they could offer it as an affordable addon to a fight pass account.

mewse
May 2, 2006

1st AD posted:

That won't happen because of the way TV deals are done with the networks. Best you can do is pay for a season pass on iTunes or Amazon, episodes get released anywhere from 1 to 24 hours after airing.

Things can change, Fight Pass didn't exist when UFC signed their contract with fox.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It goes on that Fox Sports Go app for a few weeks before they can put it on Fight Pass. Last season had a 3-4 week delay or something like that IIRC.

It's almost pitiful watching tv networks clutch desperately to the old cable tv system. "Sure we have a streaming service"

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheTrend posted:

Don't be a child. He was pointing out a more pertinent thread to further the conversation.

Your sarcasm detector is calibrated and accurate

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

I was trying to decide between Rose & Jo but seeing that Rose is one of those assholes booing Tecia, I suspect Jo just took the lead in my heart.

Same but Rose's striking is ferocious

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nice to see :canada: get the W again

mewse
May 2, 2006

doverhog posted:

Daly got bad advice from her corner, she was winning on the feet

Nope

mewse
May 2, 2006

1st AD posted:

Yeah she should've kept herking and jerking because she was winning at outside boxing, or whatever you want to call her striking style.

I honestly don't believe there is a term to refer to Aisling's style, Pettis keeps calling it unconventional and you can kinda tell he's struggling to not say "bad"

mewse
May 2, 2006

She was getting lit up standing, that's what all the "she's so tough" stuff was about after the fight

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I enjoyed this last episode, especially the Justine Kish/Jessica Penne moments. Penne's exasperation mixed with grudging appreciation of Kish reminded me of the old "The Rock this is your life" Mick Foley WWE segments.

Those clips made me sympathize with Penne a LOT. Being locked in that house must suck balls

mewse
May 2, 2006

Free Jessica Penne

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ask Matt Serra what he thinks

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Watch out for the "Girls Fight Out" article by Taffy Brodesser-Akner. It's a good read, but it has a spoiler for the semifinals.

https://medium.com/matter/theres-a-woman-who-can-kick-a-mans-rear end-and-everybody-around-the-world-knows-it-40e76270273b

Good article

mewse
May 2, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Rose is anything but the next Ronda simply because she's a mental weakling and Ronda is probably the most mentally fit person in MMA.

Whoa whoa whoa. What we're playing at is armchair sports psychologist and I'm gonna argue that just because Rose is wearing her emotions on her sleeve (much like Pat Barry, must be contagious) it doesn't have any implications for her in-the-cage performances. Rose has been a killer stepping into the ring and the only person I can think of this season with a stronger will is Randa. They Just Want It More

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

If so, does that make this a gimme fight for Herig, or did Lisa get her mind right at some point?

We won't know until the fight, but Ellis seems kinda old and post-career already. Her reaction to all the drama in the house was motherly, for lack of a better description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is the finale on fight pass in Canada?

There's no "buy now" button and there's this thing:

quote:

This event is currently blacked out in country code: AE, AU, BB, BD, BH, BR, BT, DJ, DK, DM, EG, FI, GB, HR, HT, IN, IQ, IT, JM, JO, KW, LK, MA, ME, MK, MR, MV, NO, NP, OM, PK, PS, QA, RS, SA, SE, SM, TS, TN, US, VA, XK and YE.

e: oh wait

quote:

Due to broadcast restrictions, this video is not available within a UFC FIGHT PASS subscription or as a pay-per-view in your region. Please check your local TV listings for viewing information.

nice

• Locked thread