Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

pentyne posted:

Dark Souls is a game where you learn more of the plot from item descriptions then anything else.

I know, but it is still speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Yes let's talk *even more* about Dark Souls when it was never even asked in the first place.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

By "the guy" he means the motherfucking pope who you punch in the balls in the Sistene Chapel to steal his magic pope staff.

Well he didn't have that title until very late in the game and ultimately it didn't do him much good or had almost any impact other than putting him in a more difficult to reach final stage.

Edit: Also, the superpeople were basically precursors that either crafted humanity or just kept us as slaves when they found us (I forget). Via those handy dandy orbs you can find. They had extremely advanced tech but got wiped out in a solar event of some sort. Except their ghosts or AI constructs of them still hang around in some ways, including what turns out to be the big bad of the games. In 2 you mostly see them at the end of the game and if you find all the hidden messages, you see a short clip of the first two humans who escaped from their control.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 18, 2014

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lotish posted:

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, does ACIII actuall wrap up any of those plot lines? I started the game and there was definitely an end-of-the-world thing I can only dimly remember, but I got fed up with the game shortly after Connor met the man who was going to train him as an assassin.
Desmond and his magic noclip backpack end up saving the world, sacrificing himself to avert the solar wind catastrophe.

As a result, he unleashes a resurrected ancient who goes "gently caress yeah time to teach these people some poo poo" and saunters out of the crypt.

I think a shitload of other crypts end up blipping up on the map, so the teaser becomes some National Treasure-esque race to find all the miracle pieces of eden.

So no, not really

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Regalingualius posted:

What's this stuff about "ancient superpeople"? I know I thought I read somewhere about Atlantis actually existing or something, but... Again, I barely got done with the prologue.

Lotish posted:

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, does ACIII actuall wrap up any of those plot lines? I started the game and there was definitely an end-of-the-world thing I can only dimly remember, but I got fed up with the game shortly after Connor met the man who was going to train him as an assassin.

The meta-plot of the AC series is that the Pieces of Eden (there are a bunch of them) are artifacts made by a race of "ancient superpeople" who were wiped out in some huge-rear end catastrophe involving the sun, and said catastrophe is going to happen again on that date the Mayan apocalypse was supposed to happen in 2012, so the superpeople left behind stuff to help stop it the next time. At the end of AC2 Ezio gets into a shrine of theirs in the Vatican using two of the Pieces of Eden, at which point a recording or something of one of these ancient superpeople starts talking. Except she's not talking to Ezio, she's talking to Desmond. It turns out the ancient superpeople were able to predict the future to the point where they knew that a) Ezio would end up in that shrine and b) Desmond would use the Animus to view it happening. The recording basically tells Desmond about the apocalypse and whatnot, but it's all cryptic and it'll take the entirety of Brotherhood and Revelations for Desmond to figure out what he actually has to do to stop it.

As for AC3 it really sucked so I don't remember it that much, but what I do remember is that it turns out there's a conflict between two of these ancient superpeople, and that Desmond stopping the apocalypse will maybe bring an evil superperson back or something. I also remember that at some point one of the superpeople shows Desmond a vision of what will happen if he DOESN'T stop the apocalypse, since apparently it won't kill absolutely everyone. It was some badass thing where Desmond basically becomes the new Jesus because he knows all about what happened, and how he'll be a great man and bring peace but eventually, long after he's dead, people will use his words to justify wars and killing and poo poo. It actually made it sound like there was an interesting choice between letting the apocalypse happen and bringing back the evil superperson, except since AC3 was a lovely game it didn't actually let you choose. Desmond decides to stop the apocalypse using a super-Piece of Eden or something, but doing so kills him. The End. (Seriously.) I haven't played AC4 but I think the games after AC3 are about stopping the returned evil superperson or something, but honestly I have no idea.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 18, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shine posted:

The third one (Up Your Arsenal) is one of the best games ever made and I replay it every few years. You're in for a treat.

This is the truth. Unfortunately, since I started with the PS3 games and later went back to the PS2 ones, this ended up being the last one I finished.

You bet your rear end I jumped straight into challenge mode.

I'd really like to see someone have a go at this. I remember Chip Cheezum thought about doing another LP of it where he explained what was going on in each cutscene, how the story is reflected in the game mechanics, and maybe even what was cut from the game or only included in the book "Hand in Killer7".

The stories in both Killer7 and Flower, Sun, and Rain are like trying to make sense out of a dream you had, where you'd go along with it as it plays out, but afterwards you just can't fit the pieces together.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lotish posted:

Outside frame story: Desmond is looking for some ancient people place to stop the solar poo poo. Has to go back in his ancestors memory to find it, again.

Ancestor story: Indian kid Conner, with a templar dad with a grudge. Wants America to be free but then gets unhappy with George Washington being a total retard and doesn't care in the end. Trained by a cool old assassin master, dies gives all his land to the Conner. Conner builds it into a nice town. Wars over his Indian people all left, Alien comes out and is like "This was all my plan, thanks for stopping my stuff from being found. Now hide it and I'm done with you good bye."

Also don't act like dark souls actually had a story because it doesn't. They prob wrote all those things on the items just to gently caress with you and by chance they all somehow make a mismatch story.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The meta-plot of the AC series is that the Pieces of Eden (there are a bunch of them) are artifacts made by a race of "ancient superpeople" who were wiped out in some huge-rear end catastrophe involving the sun, and said catastrophe is going to happen again on that date the Mayan apocalypse was supposed to happen in 2012, so the superpeople left behind stuff to help stop it the next time. At the end of AC2 Ezio gets into a shrine of theirs in the Vatican using two of the Pieces of Eden, at which point a recording or something of one of these ancient superpeople starts talking. Except she's not talking to Ezio, she's talking to Desmond. It turns out the ancient superpeople were able to predict the future to the point where they knew that a) Ezio would end up in that shrine and b) Desmond would use the Animus to view it happening. The recording basically tells Desmond about the apocalypse and whatnot, but it's all cryptic and it'll take the entirety of Brotherhood and Revelations for Desmond to figure out what he actually has to do to stop it.

As for AC3 it really sucked so I don't remember it that much, but what I do remember is that it turns out there's a conflict between two of these ancient superpeople, and that Desmond stopping the apocalypse will maybe bring an evil superperson back or something. I also remember that at some point one of the superpeople shows Desmond a vision of what will happen if he DOESN'T stop the apocalypse, since apparently it won't kill absolutely everyone. It was some badass thing where Desmond basically becomes the new Jesus because he knows all about what happened, and how he'll be a great man and bring peace but eventually, long after he's dead, people will use his words to justify wars and killing and poo poo. It actually made it sound like there was an interesting choice between letting the apocalypse happen and bringing back the evil superperson, except since AC3 was a lovely game it didn't actually let you choose. Desmond decides to stop the apocalypse using a super-Piece of Eden or something, but doing so kills him. The End. (Seriously.) I haven't played AC4 but I think the games after AC3 are about stopping the returned evil superperson or something, but honestly I have no idea.

Whereas AC4 is a big "Meanwhile" episode of a game detailing what happens after 3. It has some neat mechanics and pirates and stuff, but the story in modern times barely introduces any steps forward at all. The big baddie has some sort of mad reincarnating guy with special powers try and manipulate you into releasing the baddie, that fails. Also some of the side characters from the earlier games infiltrate Abstergo for a bit via your PC, hack some files.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So wait: If, at the end of AC3, Desmond is dead... Who's supposed to be the one using the Animus in 4 and beyond?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

So wait: If, at the end of AC3, Desmond is dead... Who's supposed to be the one using the Animus in 4 and beyond?

YOU, The Player, working for Ubisoft.

No, really. That is who.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

maev posted:

Can someone spoil Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight for me? Used to be a huge CnC fan but.. yeah

Lt. Danger posted:

Kane has to go now. His planet needs him.

It seriously is just this. It's loving garbage.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

You do realize that the "hacker" and the delivery girl are the two who worked with desmod. And they don't recgonize you, and force you to do their biddings. So one might assume it is not desmond.

Cryohazard posted:

It seriously is just this. It's loving garbage.

It's basically Highlander 2.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Regalingualius posted:

You're literally just a random dude working at the Ubisoft equivalent in the AC universe(that makes video games as a cover for searching through history in the Animus) that gets caught up in the Assassin/Templar stuff. Your character isn't really important and is just a point of view to witness the important characters doing stuff. It's kinda cool actually. Also you have an ipad.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of dumb AC3 plot, can someone spoil the DLC with George Washington being the Emperor of America?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Lichdom:Battlemage. Does anything interesting happen or is it just a revenge story?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, if you dig up all the digital poo poo with the dumb puzzles and hack everyone's computers in Assassins Creed 4, they skirt around the You're just some random rear end in a top hat because Desmond is dead issue by revealing that they've managed to gently caress around with his DNA even though he's dead to let other people hang out in his past and view his memories. They're disguising it as allowing a bunch of people "early access" to test out this neat new pirate game they're making.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

AC3 didn't really end the metaplot so much as move it from only the wisdom of the ancients can stave off the apocalypse! to Now that the planet is safe, the ancients are pissed and want it back.

Also, somewhere in AC2 or one of it's spin-offs they casually drop in that Adam and Eve were experimental super-humans the ancients created who escaped and founded the Assassin's order, thus explaining eagle vision etc. It's all really silly, but I do love that when I explained the plot to a friend, and got to the "fistfight a pope" bit, we got to have this exchange:

"You punch out a pope? Which pope?"
"Which pope?!?!"
"Ohh, Borgia?"

I'd love if someone could spoil GTA5 for me. I don't think I've ever beat a GTA game. If I remember, I did some shady government poo poo, the FBI tried to blackmail me into attacking the CIA, Micheal's family left, I murdered a dude for no reason, then suddenly the whole crew was working for a billionaire who showed up for literally no reason, offered you a job for no reason, which the three criminals who hate each other accepted for no reason. After that, I stopped giving a gently caress. What did I miss?

Jesus, Rockstar tells the worst loving stories. How was Red Dead Redemption so good?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Digital Osmosis posted:

AC3 didn't really end the metaplot so much as move it from only the wisdom of the ancients can stave off the apocalypse! to Now that the planet is safe, the ancients are pissed and want it back.

Also, somewhere in AC2 or one of it's spin-offs they casually drop in that Adam and Eve were experimental super-humans the ancients created who escaped and founded the Assassin's order, thus explaining eagle vision etc. It's all really silly, but I do love that when I explained the plot to a friend, and got to the "fistfight a pope" bit, we got to have this exchange:

"You punch out a pope? Which pope?"
"Which pope?!?!"
"Ohh, Borgia?"

I'd love if someone could spoil GTA5 for me. I don't think I've ever beat a GTA game. If I remember, I did some shady government poo poo, the FBI tried to blackmail me into attacking the CIA, Micheal's family left, I murdered a dude for no reason, then suddenly the whole crew was working for a billionaire who showed up for literally no reason, offered you a job for no reason, which the three criminals who hate each other accepted for no reason. After that, I stopped giving a gently caress. What did I miss?

Jesus, Rockstar tells the worst loving stories. How was Red Dead Redemption so good?

Here what I can piece together. They are together doing jobs for the FBI until Steve Haines (the loudmouth younger one) gets paranoid and has them attack the CIA HQ to destroy any evidences they might have on him. Meanwhile Trevor finds out that the 'Brad' he been talking was really Dave Norton, the older FBI agent, which causes him to try to kill Michael, but the Chinese randomly appear and capture Michael instead. Trevor then saves him since he wants to do the big gold heist they been planning for years. Michael at this point reunites with his family and makes a movie with the billionaire, Devin Weston, but Weston just only wanted that movie to write it off or something, which he has the lady with him steal it, but dies on the way to her plane.

They finally do the big heist, but then Franklin is visited by the CIA AND Devin Weston separately, each asking to kill Trevor/Michael. The game then can take three paths, with first two having Franklin kill Trevor or Michael. Or Franklin tells them both and they decide to kill off their enemies with the help of Lamar. They kill Steve Haines, the Chinese, some traitor friend of Franklin, and then throw Devin off a cliff and he explodes. They then agree to go their separate ways.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Why did they put the stupid metaplot and framing device in the Assassin's Creed games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Why did they put the stupid metaplot and framing device in the Assassin's Creed games.

To justify turning it into a longer-running franchise with a central connecting point. They also at one point were considering having a game with multiple assassins in different time periods you could swap between at will.

It also is an in-universe justification for gameplay mechanics.

Also it came out when Lost was really big. The ending of the first game was their attempt to do Lost-style fan baiting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

It was there in the first game dude.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RatHat posted:

It wasn't exactly necessary then either.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AC would probably be a great series if the metaplot didn't exist to needlessly complicate poo poo. Also if 3 was never made or at least had a good protagonist.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The future metaplot always has and always will be the albatross around the series' neck. I enjoyed most of the series, but even still the metaplot is duuuuuuuuuumb, mainly because they treat it so drat seriously.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Accordion Man posted:

The future metaplot always has and always will be the albatross around the series' neck. I enjoyed most of the series, but even still the metaplot is duuuuuuuuuumb, mainly because they treat it so drat seriously.

That is why AC4 is so nice, they just kinda say gently caress it. I mean, its there, but you pretty much don't have to deal with it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CitizenKain posted:

That is why AC4 is so nice, they just kinda say gently caress it. I mean, its there, but you pretty much don't have to deal with it.
Revelations was the same, after the intro you barely have to see Desmond's mug again. That was nice.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, and Rogue and Unity are looking like they're dropping it altogether, except for some sort of vague framing thing you're only likely to see in cutscenes.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

RatHat posted:

And? I said "Why did they put the stupid metaplot and framing device in the Assassin's Creed games." They coulda just made it an historical series. Even without the aliens/super prehistoric people (which are supremely loving dumb) the future genetic memory thing is dumb as hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Killer7

One of the things I think that's hardest about games being meaningful in art is that their potential is a bit more '3-d' so to speak. I mean you could consider amazing gameplay a kind of art in it's own sense like you could consider camera work art, right?

I'd like if someone could give a full explanation, but just in case the major points are :

most of the poo poo that happens is part of a metaphor for American-Japanese relations, which Harman Smith representing the west and Kun Lan the east. Depending on the choice you make either America launches nukes at Japan or doesn't. The very ending scene showing Harman confronting Kun Lan 100 years later is meant to show that conflict is still on-going.

The whole thing with the Killer7 themselves is that the only one you play as is Garcian Smith. Prior to the game he murdered a bunch of other assassins and absorbed their personalities somehow, and is able to call upon them.

IIRC there's also a whole 'nother thing with Harman. In-game you encounter two Harmans, the one who runs Killer7 and the one in the school. And then a third godlike Harman who's mentioned in the possibly non-canon book thing they released on the making of the game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

And? I said "Why did they put the stupid metaplot and framing device in the Assassin's Creed games." They coulda just made it an historical series. Even without the aliens/super prehistoric people (which are supremely loving dumb) the future genetic memory thing is dumb as hell.

Because they wanted a multi-game spanning narrative that would hopefully keep people coming back to it every year. Plus it probably seemed like a really good idea at the time, but fell off the rails somewhere in AC2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I just want to run on rooftops, stab people, and hang out with Blackbeard or George Washington. Why do I have that interrupted by bullshit ever chapter.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I feel like Age of Empires 3 did the Assassin's Creed plot thing better

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's funny, in the leadup to the very first game's release, they made absolutely no mention of the modern day segments at all. So people getting ready to stealth-shank some dudes in the past were totally blindsided by this Desmond chappy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's funny, in the leadup to the very first game's release, they made absolutely no mention of the modern day segments at all. So people getting ready to stealth-shank some dudes in the past were totally blindsided by this Desmond chappy.
There were hints from some of the menu/ui elements that people speculated meant future voyeur/genetic memory stuff, but not the actual framing plot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's not a terrible framing device, and I liked the conspiracy theory poo poo in AC2, but it should never have been a focus to the extent it was.

Can someone spoil the DLC for Dragon Age 2. I've played the base game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Asking for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

This is pretty much the only game I never finished because christ is it hot garbage, and frankly I'm just slightly curious then full out "I need to know". I picked up some dumb girl who contributes nothing to the plot and is there just to be the 8th party member then sold it back because there was nothing good.

All I know is it ends on a cliffhanger and nothing ever gets answered but curious to what that entails.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not a terrible framing device, and I liked the conspiracy theory poo poo in AC2, but it should never have been a focus to the extent it was.

Legacy

It turns out your mage father Hawke was a super big deal in the region and worked with the Wardens to fix a huge mysterious seal in a dungeon nearby. Thankfully, for this DLC its all new maps. It was all blood magic, so the Wardens need "the blood of the Hawke" to fix it. You explore the ruins, find a bunch of old Tevinter writings and a bunch of Darkspawn. The seal breaks and you confront Corphyeus, who when you meet him is pleading with Dumat and calling his name. There's a bunch of exposition dump, but the core of it seems to be that when the Magisters entered the Golden City it was already black, and were transformed into Darkspawn. The important part is the Chanty's myths are proven wrong by him (allegedly) and perhaps there's something much more going on.

Mark of the Assassin

Felicia Day plays Felicia Day, you head to some rich nobleman's estate to help her, turns out the nobleman was making a deal with an exiled Qunari for the names of all the Qunari agents living in Orlais/Fereldan/Riviain etc. and Felicia Day is a Qunari agent who used you to get the book of names.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well, both are short but only one is sweet, so here ya go:

Legacy: Some dwarves tried to murder Hawke off camera, so you've tracked them down to their hideout in the middle of nowhere--a place that is literally on no maps. As you carve your way through the dwarves, you find that they have all been tainted by some thing controlling their minds. Eventually you find a former Warden Commander who has gone on his Calling in this ruin, and he tells you that you are in the prison of a very powerful Darkspawn. He tells you the wards will never let you out now that you're in the prison, so you have to release the wards and kill the guy to get out.

Along the way you find out that Hawke's dad was the one who most recently repaired the wards, shortly after he and Hawke's mother fled Kirkwall. He used blood magic to do so, so it takes Hawke's blood to undo the seals. You can do this sidequest with your sibling if you brought them, and they'll get an item for it.

Anyway, eventually you meet a rival group of wardens that think they can control this Corypheus character the prison contains. The Warden Commander thinks this is a bad idea. You pick a side, and then either way unlock the last gates to Corypheus, thus opening a way out. When he wakes up, he is confused and rambles about the old Tevinter empire and how they went to the Golden City in the fade, "but it was already black." Even if you sided with the wardens who wanted to control this guy, they realize this is hosed up and want to help you destroy him. You fight the boss, but just before you destroy him, his eyes flash and whoever you brought along--the warden commander or the rival warden--stagger. It's all but explicit that he possessed them and now walks free.

Hawke goes home and depending on when you did the DLC you either talk to your mother/sibling or imagine what the conversation would have been like.

I'll give you the rant about Mark of the Assassin later.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Legacy actually sounds good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I just want to run on rooftops, stab people, and hang out with Blackbeard or George Washington. Why do I have that interrupted by bullshit ever chapter.
I always feel like the odd one out because I loving love the Assassin's Creed framing story. Possibly because I'm too charitable and feel like it takes itself less seriously than it does, but I feel like there's a grand pisstake going on here. I mean, the first one ends with the protagonist seeing random symbols encompassing literally every major conspiracy theory ever, stopping just short of giant Stars of David flying into crayon twin towers. And it ends up being about Adam and Eve being genetically engineered superhumans out to manipulate the Illuminati to stop the ancient pyramid aliens from causing the Mayan apocalypse or god knows what the gently caress, and it gets stupider and stupider from there. It's incredible and it never drops its pretense of deadly seriousness for a second. It'd be the Manowar of stupid conspiracy theory video games, if that space wasn't already taken up by Deus Ex, the plot of which isn't really any less stupid.

• Locked thread