Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

cheesetriangles posted:

Also should I watch JoJo?

you should READ jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nehezir posted:

you should READ jojo.

No, he should watch it, and read if he wants more after seeing all of the anime.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!

Butt Ghost posted:

Also how has FotNS aged?

Outside of the theme tune, not well.

Edit: Also everyone should watch Golgo 13, seriously.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Any Studio Ghibli production.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
‘80s anime is basically my favorite thing on Earth, so I got a bit carried away. When I started, this was supposed to be a top 10 list.
(all movies or OVA unless otherwise specified)

First, everything Studio Ghibli did
1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
(technically pre-Ghibli but it’s part of the canon now)
2. Castle in the Sky Laputa
3. Grave of the Fireflies
(clear your schedule for the the day you watch this)
4. My Neighbor Totoro
5. Kiki’s Delivery Service

The absolute must-watch stone-cold classics
1. Akira
2. Bubblegum Crisis
(brace yourself for the tragic non-ending, though)
3. Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
4. Macross: Do You Remember Love?
(TV series is good too but it may try your patience)
5. Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
6. The Venus Wars
7. Riding Bean
8. Robot Carnival
9. Manie Manie Labyrinth Tales (a.k.a. Neo-Tokyo)
10. Megazone-23 Parts I & II

Also pretty drat good
1. Wicked City
2. The Dirty Pair: Project EDEN
(and there’s OVAs where that came from if you like this)
3. Dominion Tank Police
4. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
(you don’t have to have seen any other Gundam)
5. Night on the Galactic Railroad
6. The Dagger of Kamui
7. Arion
8. Project A-ko
(might want to watch this last, lots of in-joke references to other stuff)
9. Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy
(having seen other Lupin helps)
10. Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie

Quality production values but edging toward more “entertaining” than “good”
1. The Five Star Stories
(only covers the very beginning of the manga but it looks gorgeous)
2. Golgo 13: The Professional
3. Fist of the North Star: The Movie
4. Vampire Hunter D
5. Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth
(the Leijiverse is a convoluted mess of anti-continuity, but this is a good place to start, as well as the first real anime I ever saw)
6. Harmagedon
7. Lensman
8. BAOH the Visitor
9. Goku: Midnight Eye
10. Ai City

The artsy, the weird,and the utterly inaccessible
1. Angel’s Egg
2. The Tale of Genji (1988 movie version)
3. Twilight of the Cockroaches
4. TO-Y
5. Twilight Q
6. Bobby’s in Deep!
(not hentai, I swear)
7. Take the X Train
8. Gosenzosama banbanzai!
9. Radio City Fantasy
10. Birth

TV series for when you’ve got way too much time
1. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
(watch the MS Gundam compilation movie trilogy before Zeta, then Char’s Counterattack after Zeta, don’t worry about the weird Zeta movies)
2. Armored Trooper VOTOMS
(some people hate the prequel/gaiden OVAs, I actually like them, but I guess watch the series first)
3. Urusei Yatsura
(and especially the first two movies, even if you don’t watch much of the TV series)
4. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
(functionally more TV series than OVA, see the relevant thread for more than you could ever possibly want to know)
5. Mobile Police Patlabor would go here I guess?
(but the OVAs and movies are in a different continuity from the TV series, and that didn’t actually come along until the ‘90s, speaking of which…)

Getting into the early ‘90s but before the industry really crashed
1. Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water
(look up which episodes to skip, trust me)
2. Record of Lodoss War
3. Cyber City OEDO 808
4. Otaku no Video
5. Roujin-Z
6. The Weathering Continent
7. Giant Robo
8. Video Girl Ai
9. Doomed Megalopolis
10. Black Lion

The worst part is, there’s still dozens of things I left off. I should just start a blog about this poo poo and be done with it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What, no GAL force? teenage me had the hardest time understanding the plot in that movie. Also seconding Venus Wars, I absolutely love that movie. Had a chance to play the NES game for it, from what I could understand it was a pretty fun strategy game.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Kingtheninja posted:

What, no GAL force? teenage me had the hardest time understanding the plot in that movie.

Much as I love Kenichi Sonoda, I've always found Gal Force to be just kinda OK. Not bad, but not memorable. Compare to, say, Harmagedon, where you have the hysterical disconnect between an obviously massive animation budget and a story scribbled in crayon by a hyperactive and possibly drunk child.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Genocyber posted:

No, he should watch it, and read if he wants more after seeing all of the anime.

*rolls eyes*
more of a waste of time. manga can be digested much faster.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
because if theres one thing im concerned about its my anime efficiency. gotta get my apm up (anime per minute)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Kimagure Orange Road might fit in with the TV series in that list.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
80's anime is best anime. As someone who stopped watching anime because it got all stupid with Sword Art Online and K-On and things like that I have no problem sitting down and watching the Dirty Pair. But not that dirty pair flash crap.

Even the bad 80s anime is still good.

Early 90s anime is also acceptable. Some 00s anime is good but it starts to thin out considerably.

Robotech.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

nehezir posted:

*rolls eyes*
more of a waste of time. manga can be digested much faster.

If all you want out of the experience is to know what happens then sure, read the manga.

The anime does a p stellar job though, the great voice cast in particular makes it a more enjoyable experience to me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

The worst part is, there’s still dozens of things I left off. I should just start a blog about this poo poo and be done with it.

You really should, I was trying to look up info for the OP but this is a tragically non-covered topic online. That post you just made is probably already the best source about it online.

Also I'm really glad you recommended some kinda Lupin III, I wanted to include that but I haven't seen any of the 80's stuff and didn't want to recommend something I haven't seen, so I just hoped someone else would know what to recommend. Glad you did.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Overbite posted:

80's anime is best anime. As someone who stopped watching anime because it got all stupid with Sword Art Online and K-On and things like that I have no problem sitting down and watching the Dirty Pair. But not that dirty pair flash crap.

Even the bad 80s anime is still good.

Early 90s anime is also acceptable. Some 00s anime is good but it starts to thin out considerably.

Robotech.

K-On is the best. :colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Lupin is the best.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If you like Cold War Fighter Jets and Top Gun you should watch the Area 88 OVA. (gfycat) Note, its basically a Mecha anime with jet fighters instead of robots, so expect Ace Combat style silliness and melodrama.

More Jets

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2014

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

By all means, do so! I'll add it to my RSS feed.

XboxPants posted:

You really should, I was trying to look up info for the OP but this is a tragically non-covered topic online. That post you just made is probably already the best source about it online.

It was a good overview post, yes, but this comment kinda has me scratching my head. The topic may not be ubiquitous, but it's not "tragically non-covered" in the slightest. Fellow goon Mike Toole has a regular column, The Mike Toole Show that focuses substantially on the topic, as does Anime News Network founder Justin Sevakis with his Pile of Shame and former Buried Treasure columns. Dave Merrill over at Let's Anime tends to cover pre-1980s material but there's plenty in those 7 year archives from the 1980s. The Golden Ani-Versary of Anime had different contributors cover each year of televised anime from 1963 to 2012, and most everyone who volunteered for years in the 80s and prior are active posters online covering 1980s anime and prior. There are also some solid Tumblr archivists like Oldtype Newtype whose owner is actively scanning and uploading classic Newtype pages, and the aptly-named 80s Anime Tumblr.

Heck, even I've somehow amassed nearly a decade's worth of podcasts by now, and judging from my index of reviews it looks like roughly a third of that is 1980s anime at a glance. So that's something like 75-90 titles, and there are still noteworthy omissions because "oh, I don't need to talk about that because everyone already knows about those!" Others started podcasts to account for our omissions and infrequent release schedule such as Anime 82, Anime Nostalgia, Anime of Yesteryear, and so on and so forth. BTW: it's not from the 1980s, but I'll post a Mystery of Mamo review this week where we'll inevitably discuss Lupin the Third's 1980s incarnations as well. Some more, since we've talked Cagliostro, the third TV series, Legend of the Gold of Babylon, Fuma Conspiracy, and those Dezaki specials in the past already.

So the 80s anime coverage is out there online and it's active, though it's largely "80s and 90s" coverage. It may be the case is that most of these people don't operate in the day-to-day "recap of currently airing episode" style coverage that defines "the anime blogosphere" (now there's a word I hate having to type), but everybody seems active on Twitter. There's a good combination of people unearthing hard-to-find/untranslated things (Mike/Justin/Dave's forte) and others focusing on the more rudimentary work of "this exists, is worth seeing, and you can go watch it." AWO's probably more in the second group, though maybe we have some responsibility for people being able to see Bobby's Girl, Sakigake! Otokojuku, MD Geist, Baoh, Angel Cop, Mad Bull, along with various Tetsuya Saruwatari and Kazuo Koike manga scanlations. Maybe.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 16, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Daryl Surat posted:

By all means, do so! I'll add it to my RSS feed.

It was a good overview post, yes, but this comment kinda has me scratching my head. The topic may not be ubiquitous, but it's not "tragically non-covered" in the slightest. Fellow goon Mike Toole has a regular column, The Mike Toole Show that focuses substantially on the topic, as does Anime News Network founder Justin Sevakis with his Pile of Shame and former Buried Treasure columns. Dave Merrill over at Let's Anime tends to cover pre-1980s material but there's plenty in those 7 year archives from the 1980s. The Golden Ani-Versary of Anime had different contributors cover each year of televised anime from 1963 to 2012, and most everyone who volunteered for years in the 80s and prior are active posters online covering 1980s anime and prior. There are also some solid Tumblr archivists like Oldtype Newtype whose owner is actively scanning and uploading classic Newtype pages, and the aptly-named 80s Anime Tumblr.

Heck, even I've somehow amassed nearly a decade's worth of podcasts by now, and judging from my index of reviews it looks like roughly a third of that is 1980s anime at a glance. So that's something like 75-90 titles, and there are still noteworthy omissions because "oh, I don't need to talk about that because everyone already knows about those!" Others started podcasts to account for our omissions and infrequent release schedule such as Anime 82, Anime Nostalgia, Anime of Yesteryear, and so on and so forth. BTW: it's not from the 1980s, but I'll post a Mystery of Mamo review this week where we'll inevitably discuss Lupin the Third's 1980s incarnations as well. Some more, since we've talked Cagliostro, the third TV series, Legend of the Gold of Babylon, Fuma Conspiracy, and those Dezaki specials in the past already.

So the 80s anime coverage is out there online and it's active, though it's largely "80s and 90s" coverage. It may be the case is that most of these people don't operate in the day-to-day "recap of currently airing episode" style coverage that defines "the anime blogosphere" (now there's a word I hate having to type), but everybody seems active on Twitter. There's a good combination of people unearthing hard-to-find/untranslated things (Mike/Justin/Dave's forte) and others focusing on the more rudimentary work of "this exists, is worth seeing, and you can go watch it." AWO's probably more in the second group, though maybe we have some responsibility for people being able to see Bobby's Girl, Sakigake! Otokojuku, MD Geist, Baoh, Angel Cop, Mad Bull, along with various Tetsuya Saruwatari and Kazuo Koike manga scanlations. Maybe.

Those are pretty cool sources, and you're right that probably every 80's anime is covered online, but I think you've got me wrong. When I said it was an "uncovered topic", I didn't mean to say no one talks about anime from the 80's - these shows get plenty of exposure when you're looking at the anime community as a whole.

But the problem is that info is spread all over, in all kinds of blogs & columns like the ones you mention. You talk a lot about podcasts, and they're maybe a perfect example. They contain a ton of info, true, but that information is very difficult to quickly browse and search through.

If you're looking for a single resource (or even a regular feature somewhere) that focuses exclusively on 80's anime, and can help guide you to the best stuff, you'll have a hard time finding one. That's the thing that I think is missing ("uncovered"), even though any given show is sure to have coverage online somewhere.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pierson posted:

It's three years off but gently caress you it carries the spirit of the 80s in its black heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmzfUwJk4g

So ninjas vs the Terminator? In 80s anime style?

I'm sold.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Black Lion is one of the absolute dumbest and most insane things Go Nagai has ever been involved with (which is really saying something) and I love it.

Kolos
Jul 19, 2009
mm not sure of the year but I would add future boy conan to the list

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Kolos posted:

mm not sure of the year but I would add future boy conan to the list

That's from the 70s. We're pretty unlikely to see that one released officially, between needing to clear it with Alexander Key's estate and the extra price tag that "directed by Hayao Miyazaki" puts on things. Oddly enough, as high as the reputation for this series is ("Future Boy Conan is the single greatest anime TV series ever created" was an oft-repeated phrase once upon a time), I've never been successful in getting people interested in it when showing it.

Much as I adore Black Lion and delude myself into thinking AWO was responsible for the Internet rediscovering its majesty after over a decade of languishing in obscurity (in reality it was Youtube clips, but the dates of when those clips went up is er, purely coincidental), I don't know if I can really say it captures the spirit of the 1980s. It was a 1990s production that was adapting a story which Go Nagai wrote as a teenager in the early 1960s.

XboxPants posted:

Those are pretty cool sources, and you're right that probably every 80's anime is covered online...But the problem is that info is spread all over...If you're looking for a single resource (or even a regular feature somewhere) that focuses exclusively on 80's anime, and can help guide you to the best stuff, you'll have a hard time finding one.

First off, that's not what I'm saying at all. There's still a ton of stuff waiting to be uncovered because it was either never translated, never released/re-released in Japan, etc. But it also kind of sounds like you're implying there should be a canon, a master list of that which "should" be sought out, broken down perhaps by genre. But just as anime has no canon now, it had no canon then either. Therefore, I don't really think it's possible for such a single resource as you're asking for to exist. What would it be based on? Consensus? If so, consensus relative to when? The mania once upon a time that resulted in multiple fansubbing efforts was for stuff like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, but those are almost entirely forgotten (justifiably so in the case of KOR, great soundtrack and designs aside). The consensus recommendation back then for those was driven by their ease of availability and novelty relative to other cartoons we'd seen. Thirty years later, we got no shortage of shows where a wishy-washy dork haplessly falls into a girl's tits and gets clocked for it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I concur with the love of 80s anime! So much excellence, City Hunter, Macross, Arcadia of my Youth, Lupin, Dirty Pair, Zeta Gundam, Maison Ikkoku, various OVAs, lots of groovy stuff. And I think it's fair to say the early 90s is like an extra bonus 80s as far as anime is concerned.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 17, 2014

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Daryl Surat posted:

The mania once upon a time that resulted in multiple fansubbing efforts was for stuff like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, but those are almost entirely forgotten (justifiably so in the case of KOR, great soundtrack and designs aside). The consensus recommendation back then for those was driven by their ease of availability and novelty relative to other cartoons we'd seen. Thirty years later, we got no shortage of shows where a wishy-washy dork haplessly falls into a girl's tits and gets clocked for it.

I'm glad that I first checked out both series many years after that point and still found them relatively worthwhile. Not for everyone, indeed, but watchable.

Based on concept alone, dismissing them might sound fair enough. It's easy to find a lot of similar premises for romantic comedy in newer anime. I'd have to be a little mad to praise the male protagonists as anything other than self-insert mechanisms. But I find that execution matters and that is exactly where nuances emerge upon closer inspection.

There are many silly or redundant episodes in the two series within their respective lengths, which isn't too different from what is typically done these days other than being immersed in the dated yet charming mood of the eighties, but you also get some more room for variety despite the formulaic structure. A number of episodes have interesting experimentation, artistic or otherwise, and occasionally even effective character drama thrown into the mix, plus there is an ultimate resolution rather than an endless "harem" scenario. Right now, that sort of thing is unfortunately harder to pull off than it should be and thus I have little to no interest in the romantic comedy genre as it exists in anime today, since you can sometimes get better romance and/or better comedy even in works where that's not the central focus.

For that matter, the KOR movie is a surprisingly dark and serious take on the material and I would still legitimately recommend it to people. That said, the lack of any consensus-based interest in these properties doesn't worry me. I don't feel strongly about the idea of putting together a formal "canon" for anime either, old or new, other than as a set of purely informal and/or personalized recommendations.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 18, 2014

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I rewatched Lodoss War not too long ago becuase it was one of the first shows that got me into Anime in the 90s. It's pretty fun to see the classic D&D tropes going on in it, and the show is pretty good. Just watch out for some occasional pacing issues, and the gratuitous use of recycled animation. Especially around the episode opening/endings.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I don't know a lot of 80's anime but Fist of the North Star does not get enough praise around here. It's loving hilarious and the music/animation is awesome.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

itskage posted:

I rewatched Lodoss War not too long ago becuase it was one of the first shows that got me into Anime in the 90s. It's pretty fun to see the classic D&D tropes going on in it, and the show is pretty good. Just watch out for some occasional pacing issues, and the gratuitous use of recycled animation. Especially around the episode opening/endings.

Isn't Lodoss War one of the ones that was literally an adaptation of the author's D&D campaign?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, that and Slayers too.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Genocyber is all you need.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Genocyber is all you need.

The unironic truth.

(Well, not all but Genocyber rules loving hard and more people need to watch it.)

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm looking for an old 80's cartoons that might have been an anime, this seems like the thread to ask. Details are hazy because last I saw this, I was like 6 years old or something. The movie identification thread doesn't seem to know so I'm heading straight to the experts. I think it was Japanese but it may have been European. The movie was about a young girl who couldn't drown. When drowning, her hair changes color but she's otherwise fine. I vaguely remember a scene when they want to prove in court that the girl can't be drowned, so they do it in the old witch hunt fashion and drown her in a tank during the court session. The whole thing either happens in Atlantis or the girl came from Atlantis, I'm not too sure. Her grampa knew about her not being able to drown because he's some rear end in a top hat who dropped her in the canals while she was still a baby, during a boat collision or something. That's pretty much the entirety of what I remember of it: Undrownable young lady that changes hair color. Any of this stuff ring a bell? Google ain't giving me poo poo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That sounds kinda like Ranma 1/2, but I've only ever seen one episode of it, and that was years ago.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Iczer 1, Iczer 3, and Iczelion. Those are the best 80's anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's not the best 80s anime, but California Crisis is the most 80s anime.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Mad Bull

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

no dont

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm looking for an old 80's cartoons that might have been an anime, this seems like the thread to ask. Details are hazy because last I saw this, I was like 6 years old or something. The movie identification thread doesn't seem to know so I'm heading straight to the experts. I think it was Japanese but it may have been European. The movie was about a young girl who couldn't drown. When drowning, her hair changes color but she's otherwise fine. I vaguely remember a scene when they want to prove in court that the girl can't be drowned, so they do it in the old witch hunt fashion and drown her in a tank during the court session. The whole thing either happens in Atlantis or the girl came from Atlantis, I'm not too sure. Her grampa knew about her not being able to drown because he's some rear end in a top hat who dropped her in the canals while she was still a baby, during a boat collision or something. That's pretty much the entirety of what I remember of it: Undrownable young lady that changes hair color. Any of this stuff ring a bell? Google ain't giving me poo poo.

Perhaps it was an episode of Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea? That was a weird European Atlantis-esque cartoon from the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOMnE26jNo

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Someone in the cinema discussio figured it out: it was called "Coral Reef Legend: Elfie of the Blue Sea", 1986 vintage. Thanks for helping me out though!

• Locked thread