Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Well...the BGC OVA lacks an ending and it just sort of stops. That always bugged me a little bit, after the fact.

The TV series got weird, but I vaguely recall it did have some resolution. Don't remember any details (and not sure I want to).

My answer to the initial question is Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. It's great and you don't need to watch any Gundam beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Daryl Surat posted:

The mania once upon a time that resulted in multiple fansubbing efforts was for stuff like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, but those are almost entirely forgotten (justifiably so in the case of KOR, great soundtrack and designs aside). The consensus recommendation back then for those was driven by their ease of availability and novelty relative to other cartoons we'd seen. Thirty years later, we got no shortage of shows where a wishy-washy dork haplessly falls into a girl's tits and gets clocked for it.

I'm glad that I first checked out both series many years after that point and still found them relatively worthwhile. Not for everyone, indeed, but watchable.

Based on concept alone, dismissing them might sound fair enough. It's easy to find a lot of similar premises for romantic comedy in newer anime. I'd have to be a little mad to praise the male protagonists as anything other than self-insert mechanisms. But I find that execution matters and that is exactly where nuances emerge upon closer inspection.

There are many silly or redundant episodes in the two series within their respective lengths, which isn't too different from what is typically done these days other than being immersed in the dated yet charming mood of the eighties, but you also get some more room for variety despite the formulaic structure. A number of episodes have interesting experimentation, artistic or otherwise, and occasionally even effective character drama thrown into the mix, plus there is an ultimate resolution rather than an endless "harem" scenario. Right now, that sort of thing is unfortunately harder to pull off than it should be and thus I have little to no interest in the romantic comedy genre as it exists in anime today, since you can sometimes get better romance and/or better comedy even in works where that's not the central focus.

For that matter, the KOR movie is a surprisingly dark and serious take on the material and I would still legitimately recommend it to people. That said, the lack of any consensus-based interest in these properties doesn't worry me. I don't feel strongly about the idea of putting together a formal "canon" for anime either, old or new, other than as a set of purely informal and/or personalized recommendations.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread