Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

cheesetriangles posted:

I've been out of the anime game for about a decade and want to get back into it. I felt like shows I liked had stopped being made and the animation in general was really declining. I want to get into back into anime and was hoping for some suggestions. I feel like the 1980's and early to mid 90's will have what I want. I like a lot of different genres so feel free to suggest just about anything. Also should I watch JoJo?

It might work out easier if you said what you liked and what you didn't like first. On the one hand, you like a lot of different genres. On the other hand, shows you liked stopped being made in sufficient quantities about a decade ago such that you mostly lost interest in anime. Generally speaking, the 1980s are "the golden age of SF anime," so I'm going to throw out a guess and say that perhaps one of the genres you want is space opera-y things? That's something for which there used to be lots of but now is somewhat of a rarity. Examples:

Superdimensional Fortress Macross
Captain Harlock: My Youth in Arcadia (which is in line with the Galaxy Express 999 films and the Space Battleship Yamato sequels, such as Be Forever Yamato)
Space Adventure Cobra
Crusher Joe (which dovetails with the Dirty Pair, of which Project E.D.E.N. is generally considered among the best installments)

Rather than list more, I'll wait for some feedback in case I'm totally off-base in my assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

The worst part is, there’s still dozens of things I left off. I should just start a blog about this poo poo and be done with it.

By all means, do so! I'll add it to my RSS feed.

XboxPants posted:

You really should, I was trying to look up info for the OP but this is a tragically non-covered topic online. That post you just made is probably already the best source about it online.

It was a good overview post, yes, but this comment kinda has me scratching my head. The topic may not be ubiquitous, but it's not "tragically non-covered" in the slightest. Fellow goon Mike Toole has a regular column, The Mike Toole Show that focuses substantially on the topic, as does Anime News Network founder Justin Sevakis with his Pile of Shame and former Buried Treasure columns. Dave Merrill over at Let's Anime tends to cover pre-1980s material but there's plenty in those 7 year archives from the 1980s. The Golden Ani-Versary of Anime had different contributors cover each year of televised anime from 1963 to 2012, and most everyone who volunteered for years in the 80s and prior are active posters online covering 1980s anime and prior. There are also some solid Tumblr archivists like Oldtype Newtype whose owner is actively scanning and uploading classic Newtype pages, and the aptly-named 80s Anime Tumblr.

Heck, even I've somehow amassed nearly a decade's worth of podcasts by now, and judging from my index of reviews it looks like roughly a third of that is 1980s anime at a glance. So that's something like 75-90 titles, and there are still noteworthy omissions because "oh, I don't need to talk about that because everyone already knows about those!" Others started podcasts to account for our omissions and infrequent release schedule such as Anime 82, Anime Nostalgia, Anime of Yesteryear, and so on and so forth. BTW: it's not from the 1980s, but I'll post a Mystery of Mamo review this week where we'll inevitably discuss Lupin the Third's 1980s incarnations as well. Some more, since we've talked Cagliostro, the third TV series, Legend of the Gold of Babylon, Fuma Conspiracy, and those Dezaki specials in the past already.

So the 80s anime coverage is out there online and it's active, though it's largely "80s and 90s" coverage. It may be the case is that most of these people don't operate in the day-to-day "recap of currently airing episode" style coverage that defines "the anime blogosphere" (now there's a word I hate having to type), but everybody seems active on Twitter. There's a good combination of people unearthing hard-to-find/untranslated things (Mike/Justin/Dave's forte) and others focusing on the more rudimentary work of "this exists, is worth seeing, and you can go watch it." AWO's probably more in the second group, though maybe we have some responsibility for people being able to see Bobby's Girl, Sakigake! Otokojuku, MD Geist, Baoh, Angel Cop, Mad Bull, along with various Tetsuya Saruwatari and Kazuo Koike manga scanlations. Maybe.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 16, 2014

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Kolos posted:

mm not sure of the year but I would add future boy conan to the list

That's from the 70s. We're pretty unlikely to see that one released officially, between needing to clear it with Alexander Key's estate and the extra price tag that "directed by Hayao Miyazaki" puts on things. Oddly enough, as high as the reputation for this series is ("Future Boy Conan is the single greatest anime TV series ever created" was an oft-repeated phrase once upon a time), I've never been successful in getting people interested in it when showing it.

Much as I adore Black Lion and delude myself into thinking AWO was responsible for the Internet rediscovering its majesty after over a decade of languishing in obscurity (in reality it was Youtube clips, but the dates of when those clips went up is er, purely coincidental), I don't know if I can really say it captures the spirit of the 1980s. It was a 1990s production that was adapting a story which Go Nagai wrote as a teenager in the early 1960s.

XboxPants posted:

Those are pretty cool sources, and you're right that probably every 80's anime is covered online...But the problem is that info is spread all over...If you're looking for a single resource (or even a regular feature somewhere) that focuses exclusively on 80's anime, and can help guide you to the best stuff, you'll have a hard time finding one.

First off, that's not what I'm saying at all. There's still a ton of stuff waiting to be uncovered because it was either never translated, never released/re-released in Japan, etc. But it also kind of sounds like you're implying there should be a canon, a master list of that which "should" be sought out, broken down perhaps by genre. But just as anime has no canon now, it had no canon then either. Therefore, I don't really think it's possible for such a single resource as you're asking for to exist. What would it be based on? Consensus? If so, consensus relative to when? The mania once upon a time that resulted in multiple fansubbing efforts was for stuff like Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road, but those are almost entirely forgotten (justifiably so in the case of KOR, great soundtrack and designs aside). The consensus recommendation back then for those was driven by their ease of availability and novelty relative to other cartoons we'd seen. Thirty years later, we got no shortage of shows where a wishy-washy dork haplessly falls into a girl's tits and gets clocked for it.

• Locked thread