Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Does anyone know if preordering will get the phone delivered on release day? If I recall correctly it did not last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

Pissingintowind posted:

So if I don't have a Verizon account, do I need to create a new one? That would be really unfortunate. I am interested in buying Verizon's unsubsidized phone for use on Cricket (for now). The Verizon phone is "special" since it is the only one that works fully on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

The exact position I am in. I might have to get the T-Mobile one, but even then I am afraid I will have to enter T-Mobile account information before I buy it (which I, of course, don't have).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Does anyone know if preordering will get the phone delivered on release day? If I recall correctly it did not last year.

If you order through Apple, it is 99.99999999999% guaranteed to get there on release day. Anywhere else is a crapshoot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Pretty sure I ruined a UPS driver's day today. He was walking out of work as I was walking in and I said "hey good luck next week" which prompted a confused look from him. So I followed up with "iPhones release next Friday" and he exclaimed "aw gently caress!"

I want to find out if UPS drivers have a forum to read up on all the impending doom. That's hilarious.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

There was no preordering last year. Otherwise, when there is preordering, and you make the initial cut, they are delivered on release day.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you order through Apple, it is 99.99999999999% guaranteed to get there on release day.
Sure if you get the preorder in within the first hour.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
So if I don't want to stay up until 12 pacific tonight, my best bet to get a phone on release day will be to go to a retail store on release day?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Looks like Apple is going to allow in-store pickup from online orders this time around. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/11/apple-in-store-pickup-iphone-6/

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I thought iPhones were delivered by FedEx?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

IIRC, the 5 and 5S were available for walk-in purchase at Apple Stores without any lines, right? My 5 got delivered at like 9:45pm on launch day because I'm late on UPS' route, so I'm contemplating walk-in just so I'm not stuck at home all day waiting to sign for a package.

With the 5S AT&T around me was sold out in a few hours in all sizes. Verizon had a few 32gb and 64gb available in the afternoon. Within 24 hours all locations around me were sold out. Apple stores here definitely had some lines but I heard apple is doing a different system this year to help with that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sure if you get the preorder in within the first hour.

You keep saying this, but I've always ordered in the morning on pre-order day (8am-ish) and always received my phone on release day.

A lot of times at that point it will says 10-14 days or whatever, and then later in the day it gets updated to the release day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

empty baggie posted:

Apple ships so many devices during launch they flood both shipment carriers. They swamp air cargo capacity leading up to and during launch too, to get the things out of China.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

empty baggie posted:

Not exclusively, absolutely not.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Lrigwoc posted:

There was no preordering last year. Otherwise, when there is preordering, and you make the initial cut, they are delivered on release day.

Oh, yes you're right. I remembered staying up to order but that must have been on release day.

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!
For those that have pre-ordered in the past, I'm currently with AT&T and will remain with them and 2 of the 3 lines on my account are eligible for upgrades and I'd like to pre-order a 6 and 6+ tonight. Can I do that through Apple or would I have better luck going through AT&T's website or if those don't work do I need to go to a store?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

So if I don't want to stay up until 12 pacific tonight, my best bet to get a phone on release day will be to go to a retail store on release day?

Yes. But it still depends on which model you want, and how desired that is relative to how many Apple shipped. Space grey 16/64 GB iPhone 6 is probably going to be pretty easy to get. Gold 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus, maybe not so much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Y2JMatrix94 posted:

For those that have pre-ordered in the past, I'm currently with AT&T and will remain with them and 2 of the 3 lines on my account are eligible for upgrades and I'd like to pre-order a 6 and 6+ tonight. Can I do that through Apple or would I have better luck going through AT&T's website or if those don't work do I need to go to a store?
Yes, you can do it through Apple.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well tomorrow is supposed to be my 9/80 schedule off day but if preorders get delivered to my door on Friday the19th I guess I'll just push my day off back a week. Here's hoping I get lucky tonight.

(Of course if I miss the window then screw that I'm taking tomorrow off)

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Phizzle posted:

So how do I pre-order if I want to take advantage of the AT&T trade in deal? Do I have to wait until tomorrow and do it in a store?

Does anybody have an answer for this? I want to try trade in and upgrading via Next

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
any idea when UK tariffs will be released?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I have 2 lines on my account and can upgrade them both. When I go through the apple store app I can put the info in for the primary line just fine, but does not allow me to put in for the secondary line. Anyone else run into this?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

loving hell it's gonna suck pre-ordering from the Eastern Time Zone. Hello 3am wake-up alarm.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Yeah, not super happy about a 3 AM night tonight, but at least it means the pre-order site might actually work smoothly? Maybe? Probably not.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

pzy posted:

Yeah, not super happy about a 3 AM night tonight, but at least it means the pre-order site might actually work smoothly? Maybe? Probably not.

Every year they've done this it's always 3AM eastern. It gets smoother every year, but there always seem to be hiccups.

E: I picked up a 5S last year in store so I didn't order online, but I remember with the 5, I had apples and at&t's websites up and fought with them for 20-30 minutes but ended up getting my phone ordered through the Apple Store app on my phone without a single issue before those websites would properly load for me.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 11, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If you don't preorder, how long until you can get the phone with relative ease?

I want to try holding a 6 Plus in my hands before I decide if it is too big for me... Also have Tmobile and would love to pay it off slowly at $25/mo.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

So I can use a 2 year upgrade, that lovely next program or just buy it retail. Am I correct that if I use my 2 year upgrade I lose my new "cheap" family plan pricing? I keep checking numbers and retail seems to be the way to go if I plan to resell next year.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Unhappy Sprint customer switching to AT&T monopoly here:

Anyone gone through the preorder process before when switching carriers? I plan to preorder a subsidized AT&T phone through Apple, though my current carrier is Sprint. So, I am hoping that my activation with AT&T will subsequently cancel my service with Sprint, which is the way it works when you activate a new phone at the Apple Store. Is the preorder process for an AT&T phone going to require information only a current AT&T customer can provide?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

So I can use a 2 year upgrade, that lovely next program or just buy it retail. Am I correct that if I use my 2 year upgrade I lose my new "cheap" family plan pricing? I keep checking numbers and retail seems to be the way to go if I plan to resell next year.

There isn't really anything "lovely" about Next. It's essentially an interest free loan. It's only lovely if put 400+ dollars down on the phone over a ~18 month period and then trade it in for a new phone.

The only "fiscal sense" reason to buy a phone up front is if you want to sell your phone every year. A possible option is upgrading via Next after 12 months for a new phone but keep the original by continuing to make your payments on it then sell the original privately after receiving your new phone. I don't know if this would work or not, but I do not see why it wouldn't.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

modestmusashi posted:

Is the preorder process for an AT&T phone going to require information only a current AT&T customer can provide?
No, there's a new customer option.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
You can upgrade via Next if you don't have the money up front and later pay off the installment balance when you have it also.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

No, there's a new customer option.

Okay, cool. Will I be able to port over my number with this option?

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

TJChap2840 posted:

A possible option is upgrading via Next after 12 months for a new phone but keep the original by continuing to make your payments on it then sell the original privately after receiving your new phone. I don't know if this would work or not, but I do not see why it wouldn't.

Since you do not actually own the original phone in question, that isn't a possible option. When upgrading via Next, you have to give back the older phone that was never technically yours.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

modestmusashi posted:

Okay, cool. Will I be able to port over my number with this option?
Yep, and the port won't take effect until the new phone activates.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

modestmusashi posted:

Since you do not actually own the original phone in question, that isn't a possible option. When upgrading via Next, you have to give back the older phone that was never technically yours.

You can keep the phone and keep paying the installments. Or finish paying it off and sell it.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

Yep, and the port won't take effect until the new phone activates.

Beautiful, thanks a million.

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 12, 2014

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can keep the phone and keep paying the installments. Or finish paying it off and sell it.

If you do that, then you'll be paying the old phone's installments on top of the new one. Apple's reuse and recycle program currently gives you $270 for an iPhone 5 in good condition. My suggestion for those who must upgrade: do an early upgrade every year (putting the new phone at $450), get the new phone under said upgrade with the old phone's value subtracted from the total and actually own each phone.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
Quick question about pre ordering through the Apple Store app. I'm an authorized user on my account with AT&T. I know that I need to have it shipped to the billing address, but what carrier information do I need to actually complete the pre order? My dad wouldn't care for a 2 am wake up call because I forgot something.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Bugsy posted:

I just got an email from best buy saying pre-order in store on the 12th, and the phone is coming on the 19th.

Is Best Buy going to carry the T-Mobile version or would I be better off going Apple or T-Mobile store?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

modestmusashi posted:

Apple's reuse and recycle program currently gives you $270 for an iPhone 5 in good condition.

I just did a quote through Brightstar's website and it comes up to $205 though...Are you sure about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

TJChap2840 posted:

There isn't really anything "lovely" about Next. It's essentially an interest free loan. It's only lovely if put 400+ dollars down on the phone over a ~18 month period and then trade it in for a new phone.

The only "fiscal sense" reason to buy a phone up front is if you want to sell your phone every year. A possible option is upgrading via Next after 12 months for a new phone but keep the original by continuing to make your payments on it then sell the original privately after receiving your new phone. I don't know if this would work or not, but I do not see why it wouldn't.

Ahh, I thought there were fees and extra pricing associated with it. Very cool, I think I'll try out Next then.

• Locked thread