Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

shodanjr_gr posted:

I just did a quote through Brightstar's website and it comes up to $205 though...Are you sure about this?

It did drop, my apologies. Maybe after the 6 was announced, not sure. $270 was a quote I saw plenty of times in-store when the 5S was the latest and greatest, so once the 6 is out, the 5S *should* be worth something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those deciding between the 6 or the 6 Plus, try this… drat is that thing huge!

http://photos.appleinsider.com/iPhone6_preorder_picker.pdf

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
When using the Apple Store app to order the phone, do you have payment options or are you forced to use the card attached to your Apple ID? Things like a separate credit card or billmelater, etc.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Trademarked posted:

Quick question about pre ordering through the Apple Store app. I'm an authorized user on my account with AT&T. I know that I need to have it shipped to the billing address, but what carrier information do I need to actually complete the pre order? My dad wouldn't care for a 2 am wake up call because I forgot something.

Phone number of the line you're upgrading, billing zip code, and last 4 of the primary account holder's SSN. If you want to make sure you have everything right, open the app now and check your upgrade eligibility.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

shodanjr_gr posted:

I just did a quote through Brightstar's website and it comes up to $205 though...Are you sure about this?

It's 205 now. It stopped being 270 months ago

Edit: oops. Didn't see someone replied. My bad.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Ugh, I still can't decide which model to get. Learning towards the Plus, though.

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

bobdigi posted:

When using the Apple Store app to order the phone, do you have payment options or are you forced to use the card attached to your Apple ID? Things like a separate credit card or billmelater, etc.

You can add other credit cards as payment options.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

sudo rm -rf posted:

Ugh, I still can't decide which model to get. Learning towards the Plus, though.

I was like that an hour ago but I've just realised that if I get the 6+ then I won't need to buy a new iPad which I was planning on getting. Battery life and the extra features are a big plus for me too.

Only 5 hours to go in the UK before the pre-order floodgates open, feels like christmas :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Obsidius posted:

Only 5 hours to go in the UK before the pre-order floodgates open
Am I missing something? It's 5 hours to go everywhere. :confused:

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Will the 6 plus fit in a jeans pocket?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Celot posted:

Fit yes. Comfortable? Doubtful unless you're a large person or wear very loose fitting jeans.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

sudo rm -rf posted:

Same here. I wasn't initially, but the UI changes, and the extra battery life has got me looking at the plus seriously.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

Do larger phones get a more reliable signal out in the boondocks?

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Am I missing something? It's 5 hours to go everywhere. :confused:

I'm dumb and didn't realise 12am PDT was 8am in the UK.

Celot posted:

I have a pair of jeans that are a decent fit and it'll be a bitch to put the 6+ in my side pocket, could do it but would not be comfortable.

Celot posted:

Do larger phones get a more reliable signal out in the boondocks?

I'd think the antenna would be exactly the same between the 6 and 6+ so I would doubt there will be a difference.

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
With AT&T shipping to the billing address, is it possible to just change the address with AT&T and have it shipped there?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
My wife and I are both with AT&T and the account is in her name (but we're both authorized). Will I be able to pick up the pre-ordered phone at the store if I have to order in it her name?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

The 14 day return window applies to phones too, right? I guess I could just go with the 6+ and return it for a 6 if it's just too much.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

sudo rm -rf posted:

The 14 day return window applies to phones too, right? I guess I could just go with the 6+ and return it for a 6 if it's just too much.

That's what I'm going to do. The 6 will be much more available, especially two weeks after launch, so I think it's a good compromise if I hate it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hoping to pre-order an AT&T 64GB Silver 6 tonight. The last time I pre-ordered an iPhone was the 4 back in 2010. It was delivered to my house the day before release date :rock:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 12, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They were taking preorders today at a nearby Verizon store at like 9am, a day earlier than stated officially. I was Order #8 and they said I was guaranteed to get it in store the day it is released.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
I'm switching over to Verizon, I called their phone line and they said to just go ahead and preorder from their website and I should be OK - what all would I need? is it as easy as they described? I'd just want a regular 2yr contract with them but they don't have any of my information yet.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Went to the apple website to see the options and was confused by the fact that their off-contract option seemed to imply that it was for t-mobile only. To get an off-contract / unsubsidized phone for other carriers do you have to buy through the carrier? Would like to buy the new iPhone and get it working on my grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan and I don't want to wait until november when my contract is up since I'm so sick of my Nokia 920 that I'm willing to pay 824 dollars up front just to have something else.

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 12, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

G-III posted:

Went to the apple website to see the options and was confused by the fact that their off-contract option seemed to imply that it was for t-mobile only. To get an off-contract / unsubsidized phone for other carriers do you have to buy through the carrier? Would like to buy the new iPhone and get it working on my grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan and I don't want to wait until november when my contract is up since I'm so sick of my Nokia 920 that I'm willing to pay 824 dollars up front just to have something else.

The t-mobile model *should* be unlocked. That said, if you pick an AT&T one, it should give you the option to pay full price since you don't have an upgrade available.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

The t-mobile model *should* be unlocked. That said, if you pick an AT&T one, it should give you the option to pay full price since you don't have an upgrade available.
Cool. I'll give that a try. The other option is that I can switch to the NEXT plan I supposed. It's capped but a 10gb option will give me more than enough data (Between the wife and I we only use < 2gb) and we'll be able to upgrade once a year.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hoping to pre-order an AT&T 64GB Silver 6 tonight. The last time I pre-ordered an iPhone was the 4 back in 2010. It was delivered to my house the day before release date :rock:

That is exactly what I'm planning on ordering. I'm beginning to take comfort in my blindness and not realizing there are probably going to be a lot more people wanting a huge rear end phone rather than a smaller one. I'd seriously get one the size of the 5/5S if given the option. Ordering mrs SH a 64gb gold 6, and mother SH (on my acct) a silver 64gb 6.

Mountain standard time pulls through again! Only a 1:00AM wake up time. :unsmith:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is there any difference in phones (i.e. ATT, TMobile, Sprint, etc) besides the CDMA Verizon phone?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

No. 6 posted:

Is there any difference in phones (i.e. ATT, TMobile, Sprint, etc) besides the CDMA Verizon phone?

Sprint I believe is CDMA and unlike Verizon I don't think they're going to get VOLTE up on their network anytime during the next year. So if you go for Sprint you won't get talk & data connections at the same time. I was initially thinking of going with their $60 unlimited plan for the iPhone until I learned that little tidbit.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

But ATT and TMobile are the same, right? Like if I buy an unlocked Tmobile iPhone, it's the same as an unlocked ATT iPhone?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

No. 6 posted:

But ATT and TMobile are the same, right? Like if I buy an unlocked Tmobile iPhone, it's the same as an unlocked ATT iPhone?

I bought an unlocked T-Mobile 5S last year and have been using it on AT&T. No issues.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sometimes the whole cellphone voodoo poo poo confuses me with all the LTE bands and whatnot. I didn't know if the SIM antenna or channels and whatever were different per carrier.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
As far as I can tell, the T-Mobile unlocked model is the "you can use this poo poo anywhere" model. I bought it because I'd be traveling and was able to pop in a SIM card in all four of the countries I visited.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I want to trade my 64 GB 4S for as much as I possibly can. There's been talk of ATT offering a good trade-in price for old iPhones but apparently I can't check that until pre-orders start. I'd rather not pre-order through AT&T but if they offer a good trade-in price I'd be into it. Anyone have any idea how this might work?

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
I'm leaving straight for vacation when I get off work on the 20th and since I work out of state I won't be home until Oct. Is it feasible to walk straight into an at&t or apple store when I get off of the plane Saturday the 20th and hope to get a 6+ in store? I would drop by a brick and mortar store but I work in the middle of the boondocks so there aren't any around me for miles.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Phizzle posted:

So how do I pre-order if I want to take advantage of the AT&T trade in deal? Do I have to wait until tomorrow and do it in a store?

Anyone know the answer to this?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

scytale posted:

With AT&T shipping to the billing address, is it possible to just change the address with AT&T and have it shipped there?

This is what I did. I get my bills via email so it doesn't really matter. My billing address has been work for a few years now :)

:siren: THE STORE IS DOWN :siren:

Good luck everyone.

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Will the 5S still be available in multiple storage sizes, or is it limited to 16GB now that it's been relegated to "old and busted" status?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Will the 5S still be available in multiple storage sizes, or is it limited to 16GB now that it's been relegated to "old and busted" status?

It looked like you could only order it in 16gb and 32gb when I was checking out the store this morning.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone used the Amazon Trade-in with their iPhones before?

My iPhone 5 has a few dings along the edge (antenna band?) but otherwise has worked fine signal-wise (when I bought it ~ 2 years ago, I was getting Ghost Armor put in at one of their outdoor kiosks and the phone stuck to the top of the box as I pulled the box open and then fell to the ground and got dinged on the edges). Looking at the trade-in options it looks like if I set the phone condition as working/no cracks/but with dings/scratches/etc., I could still get $160 for it. Previously I had thought about using my AppleCare+ to get a new/refurb for $49 and then selling that one, but the Amazon trade-in options seems easier/etc.

Ultimately I'm looking to pre-order a 32GB 6+ tonight :D. (Here's hoping the rumors about the 6+ having 2GB RAM are true!).

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Mest0r posted:

It looked like you could only order it in 16gb and 32gb when I was checking out the store this morning.

this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

SourKraut posted:

32GB 6+ tonight :D. (Here's hoping the rumors about the 6+ having 2GB RAM are true!).

Don't know if that one has 2GB, but the 32 GB of storage are really 64 ;).

• Locked thread