Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I ordered two 16gb iphone 6's in space grey (with estimated 21 days till ship) and one 64gb gold 6 plus (with 28 day est ship date) on Wednesday from the AT&T website.

All three just arrived at my house 5 minutes ago. They definitely have more than they are letting on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They typically like to be very conservative with their shipping estimates. Better to beat expectations than miss them.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

the_worm_ posted:

I ordered two 16gb iphone 6's in space grey (with estimated 21 days till ship) and one 64gb gold 6 plus (with 28 day est ship date) on Wednesday from the AT&T website.

All three just arrived at my house 5 minutes ago. They definitely have more than they are letting on.

Most likely the carriers are just throwing out generic "worst case" dates on the phones, rather than committing nad having to deal with complaints/credits should they fail to order. Id really like to know how it all came up like this, and why the demand for the + wasnt anticipated better. If anything, they might have been better off doing it like previous iphones, where there is only one color at first, so they can just churn out phones for the initial demand at 6 SKU's, rather than 18.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I was at an AT&T store this morning right before they opened to pick something up and there were about 20 people waiting in line for an iPhone 6. They didn't know if the store was getting iPhone 6s in, they were just there to try their luck.

The store opened their door to the announcement "Sorry, no iPhone 6s today!"

I had no idea that this was a thing people were doing, I could understand if they had reason to believe the store was getting them in but nope, just trying their luck.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Three Olives posted:

I was at an AT&T store this morning right before they opened to pick something up and there were about 20 people waiting in line for an iPhone 6. They didn't know if the store was getting iPhone 6s in, they were just there to try their luck.

The store opened their door to the announcement "Sorry, no iPhone 6s today!"

I had no idea that this was a thing people were doing, I could understand if they had reason to believe the store was getting them in but nope, just trying their luck.

The AT&T stores in my area have all said they have received 0 phones since last Friday and Saturday (launch weekend). Best Buy said the same. I gave up and ordered online and am just going to impatiently :f5: the order status page.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm sitting on an extra unopened 128gb Space Grey iPhone 6+ and can't find a buyer on Craigslist in Austin, TX. I've literally had 2 emails, and one was a nigerian scam artist.

nm: sold on craigslist :pipe:

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 27, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kanish posted:

Most likely the carriers are just throwing out generic "worst case" dates on the phones, rather than committing nad having to deal with complaints/credits should they fail to order. Id really like to know how it all came up like this, and why the demand for the + wasnt anticipated better. If anything, they might have been better off doing it like previous iphones, where there is only one color at first, so they can just churn out phones for the initial demand at 6 SKU's, rather than 18.
The iPhone hasn't been released in a single color since the 4, and it wouldn't have helped unless they could have increased the relative percentage of Pluses, which they probably wouldn't have. And releasing in 1 color would have pissed off infinitely more people than the current shortage has.

In any case, the shortage of Pluses has nothing to do with failure to anticipate demand and everything to do with poor screen yields.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 26, 2014

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

arbybaconator posted:

I'm sitting on an extra unopened 128gb Space Grey iPhone 6+ and can't find a buyer on Craigslist in Austin, TX. I've literally had 2 emails, and one was a nigerian scam artist.

What carrier? I'll take it off your hands for cost plus shipping if you want to unload it

Ganeen
Mar 3, 2004

I made this, isn't it offensive?
Goddamn, I hate Jews. All hiding in the moutains in Pakistan and shit.

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I'm basing the actual inventory on the 12 display models.

I lol'd.

Do you have any recommendations on the time of day I should try to stop by an Apple Store to check?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ganeen posted:

I lol'd.

Do you have any recommendations on the time of day I should try to stop by an Apple Store to check?

The ones here get shipments between 8AM and 12PM. The best time to check is either right when they open or right at noon. If you live where I live, you can seed around the Columbia store and make friends with a dude named Anton and he'll just give you updates whenever you pop around to say hey.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
I managed to get a iphone 6 plus on Swappa of all places for $820. Here's hoping to it not being a scam. But I let Paypal credit take care of the cost either way, hopefully that provides a bit more barrier of defense, since i'm not actually paying for it out of my own pocket.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The iPhone hasn't been released in a single color since the 4, and it wouldn't have helped unless they could have increased the relative percentage of Pluses, which they probably wouldn't have. And releasing in 1 color would have pissed off infinitely more people than the current shortage has.

In any case, the shortage of Pluses has nothing to do with failure to anticipate demand and everything to do with poor screen yields.

I havent heard about the screen yields problem, all I have heard from press releases was that there was an unanticipated demand for the +.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kanish posted:

I havent heard about the screen yields problem, all I have heard from press releases was that there was an unanticipated demand for the +.
Do you mean Apple press releases or news outlets whose tech jouralists know about as much as my cat?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I sold my AT&T 5S on Swappa. They got it a week ago. Yesterday, he emails me gives me a story about how something came up and he can't switch to ATT and has to stay with TMobile. He wants me to request an unlock from ATT so he can bring it over to TMo, so I did and it was denied instantly because I have "requested too many unlocks within a given amount of time." I looked back and I had requested an unlock on my 5 exactly 1 year and 364 days ago. Does anyone know how often you can unlock a device on ATT?

Also, I'm trying to decide if this is a legit story, or if they are just wanting me to burn an unlock, then turn around and sell it for more. Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I sold my AT&T 5S on Swappa. They got it a week ago. Yesterday, he emails me gives me a story about how something came up and he can't switch to ATT and has to stay with TMobile. He wants me to request an unlock from ATT so he can bring it over to TMo, so I did and it was denied instantly because I have "requested too many unlocks within a given amount of time." I looked back and I had requested an unlock on my 5 exactly 1 year and 364 days ago. Does anyone know how often you can unlock a device on ATT?

Also, I'm trying to decide if this is a legit story, or if they are just wanting me to burn an unlock, then turn around and sell it for more. Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

You need to be out of contract for AT&T to unlock it IIRC. You could just tell him to unlock it himself for $50.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah if you advertised it as a locked device then all of this is not your problem. Make sure you save all the correspondence in case he tries anything.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah if you advertised it as a locked device then all of this is not your problem. Make sure you save all the correspondence in case he tries anything.

I totally get that, and even in his Swappa comments, he's noted that it's above and beyond the sale and was just looking for a favor.

I didn't know anything about an unlock limit on AT&T, so I'll probably just tell him I got denied because it hasn't been long enough for it to be out of contract.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
One thing you could try doing is calling ATT. I had some trouble unlocking my iPhone 5 but a support ticket with them resolved it. YMMV of course.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My 6+'s shipment date is set to 11/07 via AT&T. Is this... normal? I haven't gotten a "new" phone in years so maybe I'm just out of the loop but drat :pwn:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Looks like Verizon might be doing a wave of Plus shipments. My gold plus is going to be here on Tuesday. If you ordered thru Verizon you can check here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/order-status

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AT&T overestimates, but the 6+ also apparently got low production numbers.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
UK goon here.

I ordered a silver 6+ from my network on Monday, with an expected delivery date of Oct 10th. 17th if I wanted space grey.

Got an email last night, it's out for delivery now, will be here on Monday.

This was after all their stores (I'm on Three) were wiped out first weekend. Our Apple stores are few and far between so presumably they were wiped out too.

Must be a balancing act to not flood phones into the stores first week, but to have that second wave ready to rock straight away.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Taima posted:

Looks like Verizon might be doing a wave of Plus shipments. My gold plus is going to be here on Tuesday. If you ordered thru Verizon you can check here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/order-status

Yep! I had a normal 6 with a estimate of the 17th. Just shipped!

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW

Aphrodite posted:

AT&T overestimates, but the 6+ also apparently got low production numbers.

LOL Apple are idiots.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

England Sucks posted:

LOL Apple are idiots.

And gold is even rarer still, it's like a bunch of white guys in California just don't understand what the rest of the world wants.

vvvv Gold 6+, then 6+ in other colors should be the bulk of units produced, no one gives a poo poo about the small phone. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2014

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

England Sucks posted:

LOL Apple are idiots.

I don't get it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can understand their confusion though, after how much their userbase proclaimed smaller is better.

Ganeen
Mar 3, 2004

I made this, isn't it offensive?
Goddamn, I hate Jews. All hiding in the moutains in Pakistan and shit.
I WANT

MY loving

I PHONE

6 PLUS

ALREADY

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Ganeen posted:

I WANT

MY loving

I PHONE

6 PLUS

ALREADY

Posted from my iPhone 6+

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Ganeen posted:

I WANT

MY loving

I PHONE

6 PLUS

ALREADY

Mine is coming Monday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hasters posted:

And gold is even rarer still, it's like a bunch of white guys in California just don't understand what the rest of the world wants.

vvvv Gold 6+, then 6+ in other colors should be the bulk of units produced, no one gives a poo poo about the small phone. vvv

Actually, space gray for both models is the hardest to find this year.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
What carrier does Apple ship phones with?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Boner Wad posted:

What carrier does Apple ship phones with?

FedEx and UPS

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You can understand their confusion though, after how much their userbase proclaimed smaller is better.
All the 6+ users are Android converts. :ssh:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually, space gray for both models is the hardest to find this year.

Wow, I've been checking every site I can and it seems all other colors are shipping earlier than the estimates except gold.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
For those of you getting your phones from Apple sooner than expected, is the shipping estimate on the site/app updating or are you just getting a knock at the door with your phone coming out of the blue?

I keep checking the Apple Store app but my estimate hasn't budged and I ordered at like 9:30AM that Friday launch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you get the tracking number it has your delivery date on it. Apple doesn't update.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah. I've never received a tracking number.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can do that trick poo poo to get your tracking number ahead of time. Enter your phone number when tracking by reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Tracking by whom? Fed ex?

On the apple app my god drat order still says processing

• Locked thread