Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dexo posted:

Should have just knocked him out and attached a Balloon to him.

Every show currently on television could benefit from scenes featuring the Fulton Recovery System.

Even game shows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except Gotham.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Except Gotham.

What are you talking about? That was awesome!

"Wait...balloons come back down?!?" :aaa:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wasn't sure when I saw the pictures, but Daisy's new costume looks so good in motion.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
On one hand I liked that the old Bus was reasonably recognizable as a contemporary aircraft. On the other hand, the new Bus looks like it is sized more as a mini-helicarrier than an aircraft, which is awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We should maybe put some of this stuff behind spoiler tags in case some people wanted to go into the new season fresh ...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We should maybe put some of this stuff behind spoiler tags in case some people wanted to go into the new season fresh ...

I will never look at my morning fish oil pill the same way again. :stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Error 404 posted:

I will never look at my morning fish oil pill the same way again. :stare:

Look at it this way: You'll either crumble into dust, or develop horrifying mutant powers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gonz posted:

Look at it this way: You'll either crumble into dust, or develop horrifying mutant powers.

No, I think the crumbling to dust part is gone. The bits and pieces lying around Joey's kitchen are from his chrysalis, I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gonz posted:

Hey, watch it with that word. You want to get sued?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Gonz posted:

Nah, we already established that it was the metal that was embedded in the terrigen crystals that caused death. The dissolved crystal that's now present in the food supply is transformative for those who have the inhuman gene sequences and has no effect for those that do not.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gonz posted:

The metal is what turned people to dust, and that stayed in the ocean, only the power giving part got melted and absorbed by the fish.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...okay, to be fair...we're all assuming that the metal stayed in the water. If the next scene after that one is "HOLY poo poo, ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE TURNING TO DUST!!!" I'll feel dumb.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Phylodox posted:

I mean...okay, to be fair...we're all assuming that the metal stayed in the water. If the next scene after that one is "HOLY poo poo, ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE TURNING TO DUST!!!" I'll feel dumb.

Definitely, but that seems a little grimdark for this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

Nah, we already established that it was the metal that was embedded in the terrigen crystals that caused death. The dissolved crystal that's now present in the food supply is transformative for those who have the inhuman gene sequences and has no effect for those that do not.

Error 404 posted:

The metal is what turned people to dust, and that stayed in the ocean, only the power giving part got melted and absorbed by the fish.

Ah poo poo, you're both right. Been a while since season 2; totally forgot about that.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
That was a good teaser.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm sad that I watched it because that mean's there's 4 minutes less of new material that I'll see in the premiere. Then again, it raises a lot of questions about how they got to that point.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Wow, they're really going all the way on mixing up things in the MCU with the show, aren't they? Unless cities on fire are a common occurrence in modern life. Which I don't think they are. I loved that they basically Fultoned the poor newbie. EXTRACTED!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Apoplexy posted:

Wow, they're really going all the way on mixing up things in the MCU with the show, aren't they? Unless cities on fire are a common occurrence in modern life. Which I don't think they are.

The implication there is that Joey left a wake of destruction behind him.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I thought the implication was that there's a fire-spitting dude out there doing the same newbie dance of destruction. Makes sense, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I think he inductively heats metal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I think he inductively heats metal.

If they're using the Inhuman comic as a basis, it might be Inferno, an inhuman with fire powers.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

(I added spoilers, for saftey!) I think he inductively heats metal.

That starts edging up on Magneto's powerset. Not that I mind that.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

OB_Juan posted:

That starts edging up on Magneto's powerset. Not that I mind that.

It's not like he has to be a recurring character. It's pretty clear that we're at least a couple of week into the Inhuman emergence, judging by the fact that Shield already has an inhuman extraction system all setup and the mysterious lady's talk with the soldier guy at the end. That means Joey is probably just one of dozens or however many other Inhumans and they can just drop him off at the base and move on.

Neat opening, definitely sets up some questions. Looking forward to the actual episode and this season in general. Fingers crossed that they use the fact that they can just make up Inhumans wisely and come up with some neat powers/characters.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VDay posted:

Neat opening, definitely sets up some questions. Looking forward to the actual episode and this season in general. Fingers crossed that they use the fact that they can just make up Inhumans wisely and come up with some neat powers/characters.

They do have to be careful with power creep, but have the advantage that they can really limit the scope of what each character can do (since a lot of them will be brand new, not based on a comic property). This will help prevent things from getting too far out of hand.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

VDay posted:

It may just be a small sample size, but it seems to me they've also built up that who you are "deep down" is key to your power.

Jia ying. Good or bad she had an indomitable will imo, she didn't heal so much as say "gently caress you" to anything that hurt her (eg she still had scars, wore them proudly)

Gordon and lightning boy we never got to know well enough.

Raina. She was poisonous and manipulative, her power just made her even better at it.

Skye/Daisy. Everything she's done from episode 1 until now is about inserting herself into established order and then shaking it up to make something new. The rising tide, becoming an agent, becoming a badass, etc. Time and again she breaks down and becomes something else and now she can literally shake things apart.

So I think, if I'm right, these new inhumans could be some really neat characters.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

You guys do know that they have access to a set makeup artist, right? They could have glued on a fake beard on Bat Dalton... (But probably not...)

Also, my first thought was that it was Kevin Smith. Pretty sure it's not, though.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Like me... :(

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Error 404 posted:

Raina. She was poisonous and manipulative, her power just made her even better at it.

Awww man, Raina :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh never mind of course.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how Daisy has a hero entrance.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Oh, come the gently caress on. The Space Needle isn't visible from Pike or Pine below 9th at street level.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

You guys do know that they have access to a set makeup artist, right? They could have glued on a fake beard on Bat Dalton... (But probably not...)

Anyone have examples of a makeup artist doing a decent job faking a beard?

Not totally dismissing you, just reminded me I can't think of an example.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DId no one else notice the most important bit at the end of that clip? Coulson had two working hands

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slashrat posted:

On one hand I liked that the old Bus was reasonably recognizable as a contemporary aircraft. On the other hand, the new Bus looks like it is sized more as a mini-helicarrier than an aircraft, which is awesome.

Yeah, plus the old Bus was kinda charming in how janky it was. New one looks stealthy, though!

seaborgium posted:

DId no one else notice the most important bit at the end of that clip? Coulson had two working hands

Ahem he had a glove on one of them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, plus the old Bus was kinda charming in how janky it was. New one looks stealthy, though!

Janky?!? It was a completely renovated piece of state-of-the-art machinery!!! It had a bar!!!

A really nice one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Janky?!? It was a completely renovated piece of state-of-the-art machinery!!! It had a bar!!!

A really nice one.

The new one better have a bar.

But it'll probably be all angular and glow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

A really nice one.

But no fish tank.

Honestly, I thought they were going to pan up and show the Helicarrier. But new bus is pretty awesome anyways. As for new characters, I hope the inhumans are a mix of new ones and recognizable ones. If you wanted to put a major one in the show that isn't Kamala Khan, Crystal would be pretty good. Her powers are flashy but not complex, and she's popular enough to build up to. She could either be sent by the Attilan's to find out whats going on, or be a new one.

Never has to make direct reference to being sent by Medusa, but maybe some reference to her Rulers. Also, with more Inhumans popping up the Kree will be more interested in the earth, so hopefully we'll see more Kree, who I honestly want to see as not just Jerks, but just another Alien race. I mean Comics Kree are as much allies and they enemies. Depends on how grumpy Ronan is that day.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

seaborgium posted:

I don't think it was ever in any doubt that would happen. Out of nowhere Walking Dead comic/show spoilers: Rick loses his hand in the comics and Kirkman has said that's one of his biggest regrets because even in the comic medium it's such a hassle to deal with portraying him without one hand yet still having him be action hero protagonist. It would be even harder on film, and the show wisely transferred some amputations to other characters. Having to always film Coulson with a prosthetic or cgi out his hand yet still have him be a bad rear end would have been a ridiculous constraint, he'll just always have a Michael Jackson glove from here on out and they'll call it a starktech hand or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, I thought they were going to pan up and show the Helicarrier. But new bus is pretty awesome anyways. As for new characters, I hope the inhumans are a mix of new ones and recognizable ones. If you wanted to put a major one in the show that isn't Kamala Khan, Crystal would be pretty good. Her powers are flashy but not complex, and she's popular enough to build up to. She could either be sent by the Attilan's to find out whats going on, or be a new one.

Yeah there's no way that they were doing to show the helicarrier, simply because that's too much the movie's property to play around with. I'm kinda sad that the new bus isn't a literal mini-helicarrier, though, that would've been way to work with the SHIELD visual identity. Hell, strap flight engines to the Illiad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MikeJF posted:

I'm kinda sad that the new bus isn't a literal mini-helicarrier, though, that would've been way to work with the SHIELD visual identity.

It bears more than a passing resemblance to the shield logo, that works pretty well with their visual identity too.

• Locked thread