Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Those early episodes are extremely important which is why I'm still pissed that the pacing was absolute poo poo. They were stuck stuck in a holding pattern for Cap2. Why didn't they hold back the Premier then? Ten episodes of tracking Garrett would have been fantastic if they could have pushed it later into May-June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And don't forget Middleman. One of the most surreal shows to appear on any network.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That look of terror was so well done.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

OptimusWang posted:

His dad is James Bond, there's all sorts of crazy sci-fi tropes flying around (the current one is he mind-wiped himself), tons of Firefly references, giant gov't conspiracies, etc. It's gone from a semi-serious procedural to a vehicle for Nathan Fillion to do whatever the gently caress he wants. In short, :iia:

Wait...What! How why when? The gently caress? I stopped watching it a few years ago even with my totally healthy Stana Katic fixation. It's become entertaining again?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PunkBoy posted:

Some gifs from earlier in the episode (please let me know if I'm going overboard):

No such thing as too much Agent Cooper getting angry. :colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It's me. I'm the Hawkeye fan and have been since his first appearance in the silly comic books. But I've always been a fan of the non-powered heroes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

SiKboy posted:

WW2. Very few superheroes fought in WW1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Ace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_2419_A.D.

all sort of...Actually, Doc Savage kind of qualifies too as does Richard Benson the Avenger.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 8, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Nah she just nailed him hard.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The show is all about secret agents in a world where superpowers are real...and you don't want them doing secret agent things? :psyduck:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
He had an alien in him in The Hidden. No wonder he's crazy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Hakkesshu posted:

gently caress are you talking about, Twin Peaks is one of the most notable cultural cornerstones of the 90s. Agents of SHIELD would not exist today if it weren't for Twin Peaks basically reinventing television at the time, and it is coming back in a big way.

I love Dune but that poo poo hasn't really been relevant in, well, ever.

Except for the 'Sting in gold-plated hot pants' fetishists. :vince:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Arrakis is a magical place.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Inhumans implied, Kree solidly name-checked, Sentries...this was everything it needed to be.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Azhais posted:

A Gotham level major shakeup? Is Skye gonna be put in charge of lanyards?

She doesn't have enough identical sisters to be trusted with that level of security.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I still like Thomas Jane as Frank. Dirty Laundry is a treasure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Maybe the TV Universe is actually a real part of the MCU rather than a sideshow like you've been implying then? (Implication coming from the tone of your posts. I don't think you've actually used the word 'sideshow' much like the show has not used the word 'Inhuman')

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
CG Galactus's thumb or some poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Whitehall is proto-MODOK

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
One week to go :black101:

http://www.people.com/article/agent-carter-premiere-sneak-peek-video

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Directed by Joe Johnson I hope!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Baron Blood would be great to see.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I liked the 3rd episode a lot. Not everything has to be frenetic, especially in a cold war espionage story.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That overarching fear was pretty much what the Cold War was all about. It was a nebulous sense of dread of 'us' versus 'them'. I'm in my 50s and I clearly remember the 'enemy' being a faceless entity.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Really? Maybe it's me growing up in the Cold War that I see all the paranoia from my childhood. My next door neighbors had a fallout shelter in their backyard and I remember them showing it to my family when I was like five. It freaked me out that there was some group that wanted to kill us all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It resonated with me well enough and I'm its audience. ToastyPotato, your suggestion was right on the mark!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ToastyPotato posted:

Does ABC pay you to stay alive? I mean an entire series costing millions of dollars to please one person seems like a pretty risky business practice, so I am guessing they have invested quite a bit in you at this point.

Well gee, I don't think so? It would be awfully nice of them if they did, but I wasn't the only person born my year (or the year before or the year after) I imagine. I'm also pretty certain I'm not the only one that watches TV from my generation. I may also not be the only person that understands Cold War politics from my generation or even the generations after mine.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I brought it up because of your insistance that... '

ToastyPotato posted:

But it isn't really translating onto the screen, is the problem. Leviathan is the big bad of the arc, but we've seen relatively little from them.

It was/is translating to the screen. You just couldn't see it for some reason. Why? I don't know, maybe personal experience, but it was very clear to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Season 2 Fitz is so much more interesting than Season 1.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Rarity posted:

I know it starts slow but the Skye/Ward romance ends up being the best part of the show

You dick...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DukeofCA posted:

I'm sure Disney is working on it. They already got Sony to loosen their death grip on Spider-Man.

Sony Films is so hosed right now that they need any assistance they can get.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Phylodox posted:

gently caress slow burns! Slow burns are overrated!

Arrow and Flash are like 'Yeah, that's how it's done' :ocelot::smuggo:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

escalator dropdown posted:

I've been tired of the Bobbi/Mack secret for awhile. They definitely know how to keep up the pace on plot threads given they already outed Skye one episode after Fitz tried to keep it a secret. I realize they can't do that for everything, but for Christ's sake, either make the slow build subtle or give it some actual meat beyond "Bobbi and Mack whisper secretively about their super secret for the fifth time".

Dushku's one of those people who should be typecast, because she's very good at playing a particular type of role (Faith, basically), and really, really bad at everything else. Being cast to display the kind of range demanded by a doll in Dollhouse was a mistake, and Enver Gjokaj and Dichen Lachman (to a lesser extent) everybody being awesome made her look even worse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
This is the story of two 'fathers'

Phil Coulson

and

Cal Zabo

These are the Coulsons...

and these are the Zabos....

OB_Juan posted:

Questions about tonight's episode:

- How much of a bro will Fitz be?
- Will the power use = slow-mo streak continue for Skye Mary Sue "Daisy Johnson" Zabo-Poots?
- How much poo poo will the Mua'dad gently caress up with his Frankenstein Parade?
- Will Mack a/o Bobbi be successful in their caper? Will Bobbi end up last-minute switching sides back to SHIELD?
- How angry is Hunter going to be when he wakes up?
- How will Simmons cope with Mary Sue Skye "Daisy" Johnson-Zabo Poots' newfound alien lineage?
- Is Ward more or less dead than the dog? Will either return to the show anytime soon?
- How much of a bro will Fitz be?

Confused? You won't be after this episode of...S.H.I.E.L.D!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

OB_Juan posted:

Amazing.

I saw OB_Juan's questions and was inspired.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Well the Daredevil series is coming out on Netflix. Having Angar around would plug in well with that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Oasx posted:

Ray Stevenson was the perfect Punisher, so there is no reason for Thomas Jane to sit by the phone all day, waiting for that call.

Stevenson was great, but I liked Jane more.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Doctor Butts posted:

Because he gained like 10 lbs. of muscle since then.

Seeing the dude have a short stint in Burn Notice after Heroes was like 'whoa'.

He'll still always be Jim Profit to me (also Caleb from Near Dark).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Bennett and Dalton sold the hell out of that scene.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Wolvorine posted:

God dammit, I stay away from the thread until I can catch up with the show and the first thing that happens is I get the theme from Soap stuck in my head.
You're a terrible person, but who can stay mad at a Soap fan.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bobbi's working for Fury not Coulson.

• Locked thread