Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They should get forums poster Dan Didio to write for them. He has a way with words.

Someone has a crush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So. SHIELD. Is it... gone?

What once was S.H.I.E.L.D.....no longer exists.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Personally, I thought the first season was garbage.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

We have a whole miniseries about those.

Crazy to look back at a time when S.H.I.E.L.D. existed. RIP.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Regarding the cameo talk: what I don't get is why they're not doing the reverse thing and giving the TV crew a scene or two in the movies. I know they've already said they're not gonna do it in AoU, and it's just a weird choice, to me. If you're that concerned about confusing people who haven't been watching the show, make it the after-credits scene or something. Isn't giving all the people who aren't watching the show a nudge to say "hey, start tuning in, dummies, you're missing poo poo" one of the advantages of a shared universe?

Also, it'd just be a cute cameo in AoU, but I think as we get to the Inhumans and Captain Marvel and Infinity War we'll be getting into "where was Hawkeye during Winter Soldier, surely this sort of thing affected him" territory.

Because the vast majority of people who go to see the movies don't give a poo poo about this show and the people who give a poo poo about this show are already going to see the movies.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Just to be clear, you aren't insinuating that Disney would turn down the opportunity to increase revenue off of one of its TV shows, right? I mean the statement you made is generally correct, as things currently stand, but if Disney could double or triple the number of eyes watching AOS every week, they would.

I'm sure Disney would love to have everyone who watches the Marvel movies watch this show, or improve the viewership of this show in other significant ways, but they can't and won't do that by dragging characters over to the films for cameos.

This show is subservient to the editorial yoke of the movies and will remain so, despite how stupid specific predictions about who can appear where are proven.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

Nick Fury and Maria Hill have both made some cameos. It's not that crazy to expect, though I won't be holding my breath.

I'm not sure what this has to do with what I just said. People cameoing in this show, from the movies, helps this show, which is a good thing for Disney, people cameoing in the movies, from this show does not help the movies in a way that is significant enough for the effort to be worth it.

Regardless of who appears where, this show will almost certainly always exist as a supplement to the movies in the most unimpactful way to those movies success as possible and that's not something that's been changed by the most recent episode at all.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

There is a level past doubling down...

We call this the triple down.

Feel free to explain why any of that is wrong.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Guys I'm new to this thread but I just want to say that this show rules, I can't wait until April, and Disney has definitely banned AOS from using the word Inhuman until the second week of the film's Taiwanese theatrical run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojzt8B94Ym4

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

The fact they introduced Inhumans about four years before the movie? You are being a dumb as Barry is.

That has nothing to do with what I said. Please do not be rude.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's ComicmasterAnthony's birthday today and he's 33 and you know what that means, guys!

*every character from every Marvel comic, mini-series, tv show and movie comes into Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a HUGE party*

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's only mean if you're human.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's because it's a really funny thing to say.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What the...!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WarLocke posted:

So Inhumans are basically mutants but instead of 'the x-gene did it' it's 'terrigen mist did it'?

That's what Marvel Studios is hoping.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You think it's inane watching it, you should have tried living it.

I think it's really vapid to complain about the post-war period for women being 'inane'. It's not inane because of the setting or context, it's inane because it's being filtered to you through a mediocre comicbook story.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 10, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's pretty funny that the ultimate message of Agent Carter ends up being 'yeah, that whole thing was a terrible idea and should never have happened'. Not the most empowering sentiment.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

Bryan Singer is a mutant?

No, but he is allegedly inhuman.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I've yet to see a single argument for Thanos' inclusion in Guardians of the Galaxy that has anything to do with the quality of Guardians itself.

I don't think history will look back on that film as kindly as people do now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Martout posted:

Eh, he's a big-deal character in space-stuff and the scene revealed to a lot of people who Lokis benefactor in Avengers was, I thought it worked fine.

e: oh also Thanos tasked Ronan with finding the macguffin without which he couldn't have destroyed the planet :) Was it necessary to the plot? No, but it fits in with Loki in Avengers.

Thanks for continuing the trend.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Martout posted:

Of thinking it was inoffensive to have him in there? Oh haha it's Dan Didio I'm responding to, I'm sorry everyone :)

Don't be dense.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I have doubts that the current production slate has been sitting on some whiteboard since 2006-ish, just waiting to be made.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

They've got movie plans through something like 2028 already.

Do you think the situation in Marvel Studios is the same now as it was when they started this venture in earnest?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If I remember some dates right, 2010 is really the earliest time they could have comprehensively planned out all the films we know are coming at the moment and even then, I doubt most of them were meticulously planned out in some kind of inter-locking map.

jivjov posted:

I have no doubt that they've had a general roadmap plan since before Iron Man 1 ever hit theaters.

That's a different thing from what I said, though.

Rarity posted:

We know they've been planning this since pre-production of Avengers 1 at the very earliest, so it's gonna be 2011 at least.

'This'?

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 11, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CAPT. Rainbeard has a big crush on me and he wants to kiss me on my cool lips.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm surprised people are so confident this show'll still exist in 2018, let alone in what form.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, Mary Sue Poots' specialness annoyed me for a while. She's fantastic now that she's been properly training through.

I don't really understand the complaint. She wasn't all that special and she actually had an arc, unlike Coulson, who was and still is garbage.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The way she was treated like she was special by everyone else. Also, she could be really dumb sometimes re: spy agency behaviour.

Her not being a spy and having something unique about her was the premise of the character, and in large parts, the show, though. It certainly didn't make her some faultless Mary Sue, given the very obvious flaws you've just pointed out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Given there are people in this thread who consistently fail to understand basic math and literacy, I'm not too worried about my opinions not lining up to closely to the thread's consensus.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It was possible to be not a spy and still not dumb so often about spycraft, though.

Not for her character and I don't think the two characters the show is primarily about considering each other important for good reason that ties into their shared backstory, and using their skill-sets that make them unique from other characters is some kind of silver bullet.

I think you've just got an axe to grind, bud.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Is this like a Ben Affleck thing and you're going to try and kill my family? S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone, my creepy friend.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s so 2013. It's all about my favorite Inhumans now, like Seeingman and Quillface.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That is extremely my poo poo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

No problem! And I forget, was Sif's origins in the MCU ever mentioned? The scene made it seem like Sif was originally just a regular old (Asgardian) girl that made it big by being a badass, and I think that's awesome. :3:

That's what Thor says in Thor when he's G-ing everyone up to go kill frost people or whatever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I wouldn't mind that, since as of now, it's hard to tell her apart from Maria Hill.

And she's been almost completely useless and superfluous since she was created.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Didn't Crossbones die in Winter Soldier?

I did nazi him surviving that crash.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

I think the villains being really lovely was half of Cal's point.

Are you suggesting that Cal works in the production department of this show? That's pretty meta.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Do you really think 'the ____ were lovely on purpose!' should fly this deep into a show's run?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Not everything is about you, mon chere.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

If anything, I believe that argument more now than I would have in season 1. The show has proven it is consistently capable of quality. I honestly have trouble imagining they looked at 'poorly grafted scalpels on her fingers' and thought 'yes, this will make for a fine first class villain'.

See, given this show's history of consistent quality with villains, I have no trouble believing they thought that. A lot of what this show does just seems to be rounding out the numbers. I have no trouble believing that they were making a point with the ramshackle nature of the group and the Winnebago and that, but the idea that this patch of lovely villains really needed to be that boring and lovely to make that point doesn't hold up for me when almost all the other villains in the show up to this point have been of a fairly similar flavour and quality bar, maybe, two or three.

Or at least, they probably didn't think 'this will make for a fine, first class villain' so much as they thought 'eh, this'll do'. It's a recurring trend for the people that make this show and I'm not sure couching it in 'well, it's deliberate' is in their best interest. I'd rather see an interesting villain than a boring one in this show at this point, personally, whatever the reason.

They're lucky they've got talent like Kyle MacLachlan to centre it, in any case.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This but ironically.

Woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

'One of the Whedons' never means 'the Whedon you give a poo poo about'.

• Locked thread