Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Inveigle posted:

Someone on Youtube posted the extended bloopers from the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 DVD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnwgfPCtoE&t=101s

Seeing Ming-Na Wen actually laughing out loud is so weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I liked the cut from Coulson mentioning how Garrett went nuts in the end to Skye staring blankly ahead with alien script scrolling behind her, only for it to be another fakeout with her just chillin' on the screen table. This episode really loved fakeouts.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I can appreciate in retrospect how early season 1 set up a lot of little things (the gravitonium, eye cameras, alien script, even hydra) and gave a sense of what SHIELD was doing and the authority it commanded, to give a contrast to the SHIELD of the present which is little more than a dozen competent people who have to spend as much time being pursued as they do pursuing the bad guys.

I don't think the impact of SHIELD's collapse would have been quite as big if the series had torn it down right away and started as Agents of Nothing. It doesn't excuse that the early episodes could have been better, but there was a point to them at least in the larger narrative.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 24, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

Coulson and Fury having a casual chat while being shot at, with Fury straight up appearing from nowhere was such lovely loving directing it soured me on the finale.

It's a television show based on superhero comic books. If that scene wasn't your cup of tea, then the show just might not be for you.

(And they did kinda set it up with Simmons telling Fury where to find Coulson)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
May started out the series as a desk jockey as well, and joined the team on the condition of not doing field work, so it's not a stretch to say that Ward was the best field agent on the team. It just didn't stay that way.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Having the information isn't very useful without the ability to understand the information. If the SHIELD stealth tech is as complex as it seems, then it was most likely fabricated in multiple steps, each of which themselves had to be built in multiple steps. And in all likelihood a different contractor would have been responsible for each step.

No single person (that team Coulson can call on, anyway) is likely to have fully understood every step of producing the technology, and every step of producing the means to produce the technology. Fitz is trying to do so now, and he probably would have been able to somewhat easily too with all the information already available, except he's no longer in his right mind.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 29, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

XboxPants posted:

Does anyone remember what the previous device of Fitz's they looked at on the tablet was?

Didn't see this answered yet. The overkill device which they used in this episode was the gizmo that Ward and Fitz was sent to Russia to sabotage/destroy in S01E07 "The Hub". Back then it was a house-sized device that Fitz reverse-engineered in the field into a hand-held weapon to aid in their escape. It was explained as using sonic vibrations to destroy enemy weapons (...something something unstable molecules something...), so it was even possible to see it coming if you picked up on Fitz repeated mentions of it while they were discussing cloaking tech.

As for Simmons, my pet crazy theory is that she was secretly a Hydra agent all along, just working for a different head than Ward and Garrett, and after Fitz got hurt she got cold feet, but had to go back to Hydra for *reasons*. People speculated that she was a sleeper agent within SHIELD in season 1 as well, and there were hints at it. And the writers ought to know that the audience will obviously expect the twist to be that she is undercover when the preview tries so hard to make her seem like she's gone Hydra.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

NowonSA posted:

This would be a really interesting direction for them to go in. I could get behind Simmons working against the team for awhile, but being brought back to the light side eventually.

What hints were there that Simmons was a sleeper agent? I never picked up on any.

Nothing overt. Mainly the scene at the end of S01E20 where Fitz wanted Simmons to reassure him that she wasn't Hydra and she gave a really genuine and heartfelt one. While it stands on it own as a touching moment of Fitz feeling horribly betrayed and having lost his former blind trust in the people he holds close, it just seemed like a perfect setup for Simmons turning out to have been lying to his face right then.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 1, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I just remembered reading that Donnie Gill/Blizzard/aka that SHIELD academy student that gained ice powers last season is supposedly appearing next episode. That puts Coulson's line in the preview into a completely different perspective.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 1, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Stuff in the preview teaser isn't really an issue.

It's more stuff like announcements of returning guest stars, or two-sentence descriptions of episodes beyond the next one that usually slip past people who just watch the show, and don't follow the news about it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I love how Hydra thinks painting their giant evil logo on the walls of the otherwise nondescript labs they run is a perfectly sensible thing to do.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
All we know is that Raina told Ward that something was up with Skye and her parentage before she bailed on him and Garrett.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just some random shield agent I think. Her only purpose seemed to be to demonstrate that Hydra is good at grabbing and brainwashing former shield personnel before Coulson can get to them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Floppychop posted:

Did they ever give a reason why they were using live ammo instead of icers when going after Gill?

Because Shield has never been afraid of using lethal force when necessary, and stunning Hydra operatives is useless when Shield can't be sure that they will be able to stick around and lock up the targets afterwards?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If it comes to the point where they have to shoot at him, they can't assume that they'll also have the time to take him into custody (or the capability to hold him).

They went in with a plan. Attempt to do it first without shooting anyone. If shooting became necessary, it had better end the threat permanently.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think it'd be more interesting if the show went down the redemption route and showed that even if Ward has the willingness and opportunity to try and redeem himself, he won't get any forgiveness for his past misdeeds.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

But... Cap wasn't in favor of the Super Powers Act at all...

Captain America favoring superheroes, who regularly intervene violently in major conflicts with resultant massive collateral damage, having no oversight by or accountability to a democratically appointed/elected representative of the people in the country they operate in is one my personal WTF moments.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, I think the weakest link in this show right now is Raina. She talks too much about nothing in particular, she has no interesting motivations, and she's gotten to be fairly incompetent in a series where everyone else has grown rather more competent. I cringe whenever she appears onscreen now because everything she says and does evokes the worse quality of season 1.

Simmons is totes awesome now. I'd hoped to see more Hydra shenanigans from her, but I also like that they're not afraid to move along the plot.

Up until this episode, she's been successful in any task she has put herself to (barring perhaps her capture after picking Coulson's brain in season 1, but avoiding that didn't appear to be a priority or even concern for her at the time). Being outsmarted for the first time by the new Big Bad of the series (who is obviously a step up from Garrett) doesn't void all of that. Watching her act out of desperation for once is just a nice change of pace.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Potooweet posted:

Yeah this came as a surprise to me too. It seemed like a waste. Morse is probably a brainwashed Hydra sleeper, though.

It was also a little jarring how Skye was skeptical of Raina's connection to her father when she was talking to Ward but totally willing to believe it when Raina repeated the same thing later. Nothing happened between those two conversations to make Raina any more credible, right?

Skye didn't believe it earlier because she thought it was just something Raina told Ward to manipulate, knowing that he had a thing for Skye. This might be partially because she at this point is inclined to automatically assume that any information coming from Ward is false.

It became a lot more credible to her when Raina, not knowing that Ward has told them about it, walks in and repeats the same thing and in addition asks to have Skye come along with her, which she has no obvious motive for doing if she was lying. There's certainly still reason to be suspicious of her intentions in bringing Skye to her father, but at that point there's more (if still only a little) evidence of Raina knowing Skye's father being true, than of it being false.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 22, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Since it looked like a suit (or more aptly, a mech) that is worn over his normal suit, I think I'll think of it as ablative armor.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Well, politics ages you (or maybe he just likes looking older than he is and disguises himself as such)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I really doubt Coulson would be in on any plan that involved Ward killing the random US law enforcement officers who happened to be guarding him.

Edit: Fury picked him to rebuild Shield because although Coulson knows how the spygame is played, there are lines he won't rationalize crossing.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 29, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Creatures of the ocean, pfft. What's so scary down there?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda liked how agent Carter's plan to make the world forget Reinhart backfired spectacularly. 44 years later everyone except Hydra had done just that, and so thought it was no big deal to let that old guy no knew anything about free when it was suggested to them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Unless there is some obscure law allowing unelected government officials to unilaterally release prisoners with no oversight, it probably still made a lot of difference that anyone looking up his name, if it was even still known, wouldn't immediately be reading that he was Josef Mengele's role model.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
These are comic book villains. It's practically an unspoken gentleman's agreement not to point it out when the other is foreshadowing the inevitable betrayal.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
That's the really creepy part of Ward for me. He did all this to Christian to torture the truth out of him, and in the end it actually managed to bring them to some form of reconciliation. Then wham! Turns out it doesn't matter to Ward because his primary goal all along was just to get his brother on tape saying something that Ward could use to pin their parents murder on him.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Wasn't he the goon with the berserker staff that May curbstomped at the start of the season 1 finale?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Last Resort was the same thing. Pilot has a nuclear submarine captain declare sovereignty, follow-up episodes spent as much, if not more, time on relationship drama than the actual geo-political consequences of him launching and detonating a nuke off the east coast.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 25, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Really, people just have to ask themselves which of these two statements is the dumb one:

"We are setting up the inhumans background lore in the TV series, to lay the groundwork for the the Movie coming out in a couple of years"

or

"We are settings up a new race of super-powered humans in the tv series who are not inhumans at all, but have a background story that is 99% identical to the inhumans that will feature in one of our movies in a few years."

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Though I understand why they can't appear on the TV show, it is getting pretty exasperating at this point that no one even brings up the possibility of at least filling in the Avengers on what is going on, or mentions something that explains Coulson & Co not even attempting to have contact with them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Hakkesshu posted:

This is a weird complaint. Comics Hyde is a pretty dumb loving character to begin with, and them putting Kyle McLachlan in a muscle suit or CGI'ing him up would add nothing unless they had a movie-sized budget. And while the thought of someone trying to recreate League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Hyde in a TV show is very funny what they're doing is a significantly more elegant solution.

I think MCU Calvin works better as what has seemed so far; an ordinary human with extraordinary strength, extraordinary familiarity with inhumans and an extraordinary lack of self-control. Not every villain needs to be physically abnormal.

Besides, if they are going to allot budget to showing someone hulk the gently caress out, I'd rather they spend it on the actual Hulk.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 10, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
As entitled to your opinion as you may be, I doubt Marvel canon changes to reflect what you specifically like and don't like. Not outside your own mind, anyway.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Because any Actor is going to say "No I don't want to appear in this show that is associated with the films I'm currently being paid a lot of money to star in."

Not saying he will never appear in the show, him saying he'd like to do it is about as strong an indicator of it happening as if he'd just kept silent.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
We did get some scenes of Tripp and Skye bro'ing it up this season. They mostly served as exposition dumps also, but there was definitely a strong friendship on display there.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Sir Kodiak posted:

Preventing the activation of superpower-causing latent DNA in the human genome is a major decision that affects all of humanity. This is true whether or not the decision to do so was justified, which is an entirely separate consideration.

No one in SHIELD had any idea about what the obelisk would do when brought to the temple. All they knew was that Hydra wanted to bring it there as a result of their interest in WMDs. That is a perfectly valid reason for them to try and stop it right there. The only ones saying anything about what might happen were Calvin and Raina, and both their judgment and credibility is questionable.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Sir Kodiak posted:

Okay? The question was what major decision they had made. Arguing that a major decision was made correctly doesn't change the magnitude of that decision.

We're not arguing that they made the right choice in the decision you describe. We're arguing that the decision you describe didn't happen.

At no point did they make, or could have made, a decision on whether to cause or prevent manifestion of superpowers in random people across the world, BECAUSE they did not know, and had no reason to think, that it was something that might happen as a result of anything they choose to do or not do.

They did make a decision to stop Hydra from acquiring and using a supposed WMD upon the world, which is something they had good cause to expect, and that was a decision they had every right to make as likely targets of that same WMD.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 19, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

XboxPants posted:

The fundamental problem Cap has with SHIELD isn't the person running it, it isn't any of its ideals or its aims or anything like that, the one basic problem with SHIELD is that it operates with no oversight or responsibility to anyone. Until you change that, it doesn't matter if it's being run by Nick Fury, Alexander Pierce, Coulson, Red Skull or even Captain America himself, it's still fundamentally broken.

That's the difference between SHIELD and the CIA or FBI or NSA or Marines or every other actual branch of the government/military, every one of those groups has at least some level of accountability to someone, more than old SHIELD and certainly more than nuSHIELD. Like, I understand CIA and NSA don't have much public accountability, but I can easily go google some of their employees and find out at least some partial data about them as an organization like where their headquarters are located. SHIELD seemed like some next-level poo poo, it wasn't even clear if the public knew that they existed at the start of the MCU.

Whose oversight does Captain America or the rest of the Avengers operate under?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

Agreed.

Back to the original thread. From what I've been reading, season 2 seems weird. Skie has superpowers now? What gives?
I think I need to rewatch the episode in season one in which Coulson gives her more information about her past. I missed most of that part due to being busy at the time, and I never went back to it. Unless anyone feels like reminding me.

Skye's background is pretty much The major story arc of season 2 so far.

Summary if you don't mind having the entire thing spoiled:

Season 1:
According to SHIELD files, Skye was found in a chinese village where the entire rest of the population had been killed. She was placed in a SHIELD-managed orphanage and her background was buried. The agents who found her then went into hiding after someone started killing them off one by one. Raina tells Ward (after he betrayed the team) that Skye's parents were "monsters" and she meets with Skye's apparent father at the end of season 1.

Season 2:
The season mainly concerns itself with an alien artifact called "The Diviner" which is sought by both Hydra and Skye's father, and which kills anyone who touches it directly and is not "worthy". Raina is revealed to be "worthy". The artifact turns out to be connected with the mysteries writing that Coulson is compelled to carve as a result of being resurrected with the GH serum that is derived from the blood of the alien race called Kree. Skye possibly being of alien origin is suggested since she has had no reaction to the serum. Skye's dad joins forces with Hydra and reveals himself to be very knowledgeable about the diviner's function and purpose.

It turns out Skye's mother was exposed to the Diviner during WWII by Hyrdra and was deemed "worthy" by it. Several decades later, she was found by Hydra again and turns out not to have aged in the meantime. She is killed while being experimented on by Hydra. She is also revealed to have been Skye's mother, and Skye's dad real motivation is revenge against the current leader of Hydra. It was actually Hydra who murdered everyone in the chinese village when they captured her mother. Raina informs Skye that Raina was found by Skye's dad afterwards, and told of an alien race called the Kree who in ancient times created a sub-species of humans who were gifted and "worthy" to inherit the earth. Coulson's writing is revealed to be a map to a buried city created by the Kree, and the Diviner is a key to activating something there.

Skye confronts her dad, and he reveals his real name to be Calvin, and hers to be Daisy. Skye is exposed to the Diviner and deemed "worthy" as well. The episode ends with Raina activating the Diviner in the ancient city, while she, and Skye and Agent Triplett is in the chamber with it. The Diviner unfolds and reveals crystals which emit a gas that encases Skye and Raina in a shell of stone. Triplett is turned to stone by the diviner while trying to stop it, and falls apart in front of Skye when she emerges from the stone shell with her newly-given power to create earthquakes. Raina emerges as well, having gained a monstrous appearance instead, and makes a discreet escape.

TL;DR
Skye is actually Daisy Johnson AKA "Quake" from the comics, and a member of the inhuman race. The series so far has been one big origin story for her MCU incarnation and the introduction of Inhumans to the MCU.

Edit: Beaten apparently

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Xtanstic posted:

I learned about this news from my Facebook Trending instead of this thread? Shameful.
(I forgot if guest casting are spoilers or not so I did it just in case)

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/384/marvels-agents-of-shield-sif-returns/
Sif is coming back! One of the few bright spots of the slow first half of Season 1.

That was in the latter half as well, just before poo poo got real in fact :ssh:

• Locked thread