Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prediction for the Carter finale: they get a new boss, he calls the team in for a mission, tells Carter to go get them coffee. Thompson and Souza are 'Actually, New Chief, we'd like Carter on this one too'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I half expect a line with Carter asking Souza how he got injured, and him saying it looked like he was going to die if not for Captain America.

Souza is time travelling cop from Avengers, big twist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

THANKS PEGGY Howard promised me a cure for cancer and an instant abs pill from that blood and now all we have are superfish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Now Howard and SSR are getting along I look forward to Souza getting the mechanical leg Howard promised him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Y'know, I reckon I might give Agents of SHIELD another go. But... what can I skip in season 1? I hear everything from 17 on is good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VDay posted:

Sorry if this got asked and I missed it but what was the big silver flashlight/radar gun looking thing that Stark picked up in the lab and said "this is fine here" about? They highlighted it in the last episode as well IIRC and I got the feeling that it's some important or dumb thing/joke/shout-out from the comics, but I forgot to look it up after the episode last week.

I think it was just a joke. It was lying on its right side and he put it down on its left to make it safe and acted like the SSR people were idiots for not knowing that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Serious question: Aside from Project Rebirth, which piggybacked off of Erskine's research, what have we seen Howard Stark build that actually worked as intended? Seems like everything either breaks in short order or has a ludicrously dangerous side effect.

The original larger Arc Reactor? Though he couldn't make it economic in the70s.

Nitramene did exactly what it was intended to. Kablooey.

Given his immense fortune and the respect his skills are accorded, I assume he's created a shitload of things that we've just never seen because they work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inkspot posted:

Pretty much. Everyone probably has a Stark (TM) radio, or wall clock, or toaster, etc, etc. He makes millions with government contracts and billions with consumer products.

They should've plonked the SI logo on more background items in Agent Carter. They seem happy to do it all the time in every modern MCU entry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

If you want a show that lays in tons of stuff, check out Fringe.

Yeah, Fringe had a season of monster-of-the-week that's all arc material in retrospect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Catching my way through the series. Does Fitz ever stop being so bitchy and passive-aggressive?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Other reactions; everyone keeps wonking on about how much they all care about Skye and I think I'm meant to be reading romantic tension between her and Ward but every time people go nuts over her getting threatened it just feels as if the team's getting angry because someone hurt the brain-damaged cat they keep around as a derpy mascot and have all gotten fond of.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He was a virtuous catholic in the 40s, he probably still cries when he masturbates.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

loving DOG

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, was the chronology of the end of SHIELD totally hosed up? It was like four or five days after Hydra surfaced and Maria was employed by Stark and bitching about congressional committees like she'd been seeing them for months.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Finally caught up!

Honestly, they made a mistake calling it a city and showing the big holograms. They should've called it straight up a 'temple' or 'labyrinth' or something along those lines and described it as just tunnels, so we weren't built up to expect something more.

I don't really care that much what Bobbi and Mack are up to as long as it doesn't get in the way of Mack and Fitz being bros. You hear me, Marvel?

Although speaking of that, I always thought it was weird that they brought in the obscure Alphonso Mackenzie from the comics but that they had no similarities between the comic and show characters besides the name - so maybe he'll be CIA like he was in the comics. I can't see any other reason they'd have used an existing name.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 8, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Lots of characters in the MCU bear little to no resemblance to their comic counterparts, or in the case of characters that have existed for decades, might be a combination of characters from different comic timelines. Daisy in AOS is at least partially Inhuman and had to go through that process for her powers to activate. In the comics she is born with her powers though strangely doesn't have an X gene.

I know, but there's usually at least one element of commonality. Daisy has earthquake powers, for example. And a dad named Cal who you wouldn't like when he gets angry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The Kree are kind of weird in Marvel space stuff because they aren't outright villains but they are complete dicks a lot of the time. Like their race is very racist and xenophobic but they don't want to constantly destroy the Earth or anything like that.

Sounds more like real life nations than most.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xandarians are a species that look basically human, eye colours excepted. The Nova Empire has as bunch of aliens, although Xandarians and Krylorians (the pink people) are the most common. Xandar the planet is pretty cosmopolitan and it's common to see all sorts of species because it's the capital of the empire (and thus sometimes 'Xandar' is used to refer to the empire rather than 'Nova')

The Broker guy you linked is presumably one of those aliens and just considers Xandar his home.

Basically? Immigration.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 8, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth Ballz posted:

Apparently the Earth is an incubator (egg) for a new "God" (Celestial),

Wasn't that only the deal for Earth-X?

Then again, Franklin is pretty much an embryonic god.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Agent Carter 2 set in 1940s Hollywoodland? :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still reckon that Bobbi and Mack are CIA operatives, like Mack was in his comic character. They're definitely not Talbot because he clearly didn't know that much early on when Mack had already joined, but the way they talk makes them sounds like they're some kind of authority and consider themselves on the side of good.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I don't think they work for Stark. Their conversation about having to fight the team just doesn't fit with that theory, at least in my view.

That's another reason I'm leaning towards US government. It fits best with their dialogue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Mac and Hunter either just talked or had sex at the end.

Mack would never cheat on Fitz! :hchatter:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Hopefully the Bobbi and Mack mystery will be resolved within the next two episodes, I don't mind it being a thing but it's about time we find out what's up. I do think them working for Stark makes the most sense, and that Fury's magic box is somehow vital to the implementation of the Ultron program, so they steal it or manage to copy it and get it to Stark. I don't think they'll have whatever Age of Ultron tie-in they have planned come out of nowhere, after all.

Given what happened with Hunter I assume there's no chance we won't find out next week. Plus the show seems to be keeping things moving at a pretty solid clip lately.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

I seem to have missed that part. When did it happen?

When he told Fitz to go get the Destroyer gun he said 'go get Bambino'.

I wonder what happened to the 084 particle beam. I mean, Garret shrugged Bambino off but the 084 vaporised DeathlockGarret without breaking a sweat.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope next time Sif comes back for a couple of episodes in a row, hangs out with the team for a small storyline rather than dropping in and out.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that in this situation, Coulson's preference was to avoid atomizing Lady Sif and the friendly-ish Kree.

Oh yeah, I was just wondering. Plus it's a pretty good threat to level.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So my thoughts on how the Inhumans plot will proceed; I think that the society of inhuman people we're seeing has nothing to do with Attilan. That it just formed out of Inhumans that found each other and began to support each other. I think that they'll proceed as though that's the only Inhuman society that's around, then when 2018 rolls around, the Inhumans movie will unveil this entire seperated-from-the-world Attilan city and Royal Family and they'll be able to reconcile it with Agents of SHIELD just by saying 'SHIELD was aware of individuals out there with abilities like this, but we have no idea anything like this existed!'

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

.... you did see the flashback which showed the Inhumans being changed, and training, at Attilan right?

LOCATION:UNKNOWN, if I recall correctly. It was three people in a bunker. I agree that Skye's mother was part of some kind of inhuman society, but I don't know that it's the Attilan society or some entirely separate group of inhumans. I reckon that they'll go with the idea of Attilan having cut itself off from humanity thousand years ago or so and won't come back in contact until the 2018 movie, and the society of inhumans that we're dealing with now are a separate set of inhumans who arose within mainline humanity and found each other. It lets them keep the storyline for the movie neat whilst still having inhumans on the show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 12, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

I rewatched the season 1 premiere and I thought Skye was still very good there, for instance.

Eh, Mary Sue Poots' specialness annoyed me for a while. She's fantastic now that she's been properly training through.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really understand the complaint. She wasn't all that special and she actually had an arc, unlike Coulson, who was and still is garbage.

The way she was treated like she was special by everyone else. Also, she could be really dumb sometimes re: spy agency behaviour.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Her not being a spy and having something unique about her was the premise of the character, and in large parts, the show, though. It certainly didn't make her some faultless Mary Sue, given the very obvious flaws you've just pointed out.

It was possible to be not a spy and still not dumb so often about spycraft, though.

The Mary Sue-ness was more in the way Coulson treated her. (And her stupid TV hacking that would keep getting mentioned even when it didn't fit the plot that well or got shoehorned in)

Although come to think of it, maybe his insistence on her being 'special' was Kree genetic memory recognising an Inhuman on some subconscious level.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda want this mug.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

She's working for someone against SHIELD, it won't be anyone like Stark or Hill. It might be something insane like the Skrulls or Thanos though.

Eh, I think they think they're on the side of good, such as it were.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Mary Sue is one of those terms that's totally lost it's original meaning. It pretty much means "female character I don't like" now. Even in the original meaning Skye wouldn't be one at all.

Yeah, I never thought she was a full-on Mary Sue, I just love that that's her official name.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cal didn't seem to be able to touch the Obelisk, I don't think he's inhuman. I think he's something, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you were gonna change the lead Doll character on Dollhouse, make it Victor. Enver Gjokaj's acting was astonishing. He's be almost unrecognisable as a different personality despite being physically identical.

I hope Carter gives him something more to do next season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Actually, y'know who I could see cameoing? JARVIS. That could easily tie in to Age of Ultron and voicework's much more achievable, especially since he's going in to record anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 16, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If they really wanted to tie in hard with AoU, Bobbi and Mack could be working for not for Stark but for Ultron, not knowing he's evil.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Finally caught up. A part of me is wondering if this is gonna lead to Coulson's SHIELD expanding into being based off the helicarrier after all this realSHIELD bullshit is wrapped up.

twistedmentat posted:

Man, Bobbi is totally going to change sides next episode. Fitz will totally turn Mack to.

Mack will be all "Fury kept secrets! Coulson is just honkey Fury!"
and Fitz come back with "Yea but at least he was out there doing stuff!? Where was real SHIELD when Hydra tried to get the Diviner? Where were they when *other stuff* happend?" and Mack will relent, because its Fitz.

Honestly, with the dissatisfaction Fitz is showing towards how they're handling Skye and how Simmons is going evil, I could see him flipping to realSHIELD.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has there been any indicator whether or not the carrier (the Iliad, I guess?) is the answer to the 'what the gently caress happened to the Avengers 1 helicarrier' question?

• Locked thread