Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Javid posted:

At that point why don't they just make a movie instead of being crammed into an episodic format unnecessarily?
The episodic format of modern TV series turns storytelling from a 30 minute to two hour affair, into essentially a motion novel. There's greater ability to explore characters and settings in a long format than in shorter, and it gives you the chance to gently caress around and be experimental from time to time while still living in the constraints of the narrative. Modern TV is pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

eriktown posted:

What, you mean like a, a telenovela? Are you telling me we're all just a bunch of grannies sitting around watching our soaps?

(Yes. Yes we are.)
The sooner you can start referring to the shows you follow as "shut up, I'm watchin' my stories," the better.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Spergatory posted:

Man, I'm kind of messed up over how weirdly accurate Fitz's brain damage is being portrayed, especially the aphasia. That thing where he said something that didn't quite make sense, but sort of did, and Mack had to decode it? That is totally a thing that happens. I've seen it, and I've helped decode.
Yeah. Whedon-related productions have never been particularly good with portraying mental disabilities in the past, so all during the first episode I was left thinking "okay when are they going to gently caress this up because they haven't yet" and... wow, they're really just not loving it up. Like, at all. I know Joss isn't involved in this beyond name and maybe getting to fan his hands at a season finale script, but I was still expecting something bad and it's not happening.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Yes but his name wasn't Der Fledermaus, which just ruins it for me.
I like Batmanuel better than Der Fledermaus. Also, the casting of Arthur was pretty good too, I thought. That show was such a loving mess, but I can't imagine what else could be done with such a ridiculously small budget in a time when Mystery Men was the best superhero movie in cinemas.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Are you badmouthing Mystery Men?
It's one of my favorite movies, and The Tick was one of my favorite shows, but holy crap the latter is a mess and the former is just too weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tikifire posted:

I would chuck Mystery Men into the same category of movies like Buckaroo Banzai and the Big Lebowski in that it gets better every time you watch it. I certainly liked it when I saw MM on release but years later I find it to be a really fun, great movie.
It was just "haha, wow, how weird, holy crap Geoffrey Rush is amazing" when it came out but now that I've seen it like thirty times I gotta say; it's so weird and Geoffrey Rush is so amazing.

• Locked thread