Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Apoplexy posted:

Like Burn Gorman, Lance Hunter has a name that dictates the roles he will play far better than anything else.

Lance Hunter is the character's name, not the actor's.

The actor's name is Nick Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

"He must have absorbed the obelisk and its deadly powers." Was that an actual line a human being wrote?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Asimo posted:

Considering the Marvel cinematic universe is an entertainment juggernaut that makes billions upon billions of dollars, and Agents of SHIELD is an exceptionally convenient way to advertise the franchise and keep it in people's minds during the downtime between the films, it ain't going anywhere unless the ratings absolutely tank.

The show exists to serve ABC's ends, not Marvel Studios'. Why on earth would Marvel need any help keeping the MCU fresh in people's minds as long as they're releasing at least two films per year?

Granted, I don't claim to know exactly what their ratings floor is (especially given that it skews much more towards 18-34 males than the bulk of ABC's programming), but I don't buy that the synergy involved renders it that much less susceptible to cancellation.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Honestly, after having my expectations raised by the last few S1 episodes and the season premiere, I was pretty disappointed by last night's episode. The first half especially just dragged - it was almost as though this and last week's were originally conceived as one episode, and while that would definitely have been too much story for 43 minutes, it wasn't enough for twice that.

Also frustrating: the last few minutes seemed to go back to the S1 trope of treating incremental advancements in ongoing story arcs as though they were major revelations. Coulson is still carving Kree diagrams into walls, just like at the end of last season's finale... except May knows about it! Raina is working with Skye's father to carry out some mysterious evolution-related agenda, and the latter wants Skye back, just like at the end of the S1 finale... but we see his face this time! (I'll give the writers the bit with Raina and the obelisk. That was actually sorta cool.)

...and again, holy gently caress, that "He must have absorbed the obelisk and its deadly powers!" line. Sure, SHIELD has had some spotty dialogue even in most of its better episodes, but I have no idea how that one made it into the shooting script.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 2, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Canadian Tapeworm posted:

Both ABC and Marvel are owned by Disney.

A gargantuan entertainment conglomerate whose divisions have their own goals and purposes, yes. See the curious Marvel/Big Hero 6 situation for an even more recent example.

The show exists because ABC wanted to leverage the Marvel brand to boost its ratings. It does not exist because Marvel Studios was afraid people would forget about the MCU during the release gap.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Big Hero 6 is a Marvel comic, but they're not involved in production or distribution of the movie.

No, what I was referring to is the far stranger fact that Marvel is producing literally nothing in the way of tie-in comics, which smacks of corporate political drama through and through.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

To Big Hero 6. They aren't even reprinting the older comics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Did Marvel produce anything for Frozen or Wreck it Ralph, especially before either film came out? It is not relevant that Marvel has old comics that this is adapted from. When Disney makes an animated film, it is expected to be a franchise unto itself for all intents and purposes. If Disney is taking the movie in a different direction from the original book, then it will do nothing but hurt the brand identity for them to advertise/reprint the old version of it. There is a reason why on the official materials for the movie that "From the creators of Frozen/Wreck it Ralph" is stressed much more heavily than "Based on a Marvel comic" and why Marvel Comics isn't plastered all over the posters/official website/etc.

Eh, I find this unconvincing. It's originally a Marvel property and it's produced by the same corporate parent; they have no issue reprinting the original DOFP storyline to tie in with a film made by a competing entertainment conglomerate, and which has only slightly more to do with its ostensible source material than does BH6.

BH6 is an adaptation. A very, very loose adaptation, no doubt, but it's downright bizarre that Disney has chosen to actively suppress the origins of the property; even the most loosely adapted novels normally get tie-in reprints, after all. Rich Johnston may have a spotty record, but I'm inclined to believe the bulk of this: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/04/that-disneymarvel-bust-up-over-big-hero-6/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

This is much better than last week's underwhelmaton, thank god.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Deadpool posted:

That's Triplett. Racist!

This is absolutely a filler episode. But it's a drat good one.

If this is a filler episode, what was last week's?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The Inhumans are not going to be introduced to the MCU on this show so long as Marvel is even considering a film. Deal with it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Scapegoat posted:

Rubbish, while they won't be introducing Blackbolt anytime soon they can lay the groundwork, have some mysterous characters, the big reveal with a movie then full steam ahead like they did with Hydra.

ToastyPotato posted:

Or instead of making pointless concrete declarations for no reason, we could be a bit more rational and guess that the group known as "The Inhumans" will not debut on the show, but the general "race" might in some capacity do so, even if they aren't named inhumans until after a movie does so. We've already had Kree named dropped and likely shown on the show months before Kree popped up in a movie.

Well, that leads to my other question: why do fans of SHIELD, the Inhumans, or the MCU in general think this would be a good idea, exactly? If Inhumans are introduced as a concept independently of Attilan or the classic Royal Family characters, wouldn't that only serve to dilute the significance of the latter when they're introduced? And on the SHIELD end of things, wouldn't it make for absolutely terrible storytelling to introduce a mysterious race of beings whose origins and motivations can't really be explained at all for at least another three years (since there's no room in Marvel's release slate for an Inhumans film until 2017)? The whole Skye 084 thing has already been dragged out enough since the reveal halfway through S1, frankly.*

It won't happen. I mean, I won't say it absolutely couldn't. But I really doubt it.

*lest someone misinterpret that: I don't mean that we don't yet know everything about her backstory; I mean that we've really gotten nothing at all since then except some incredibly cryptic teases, and nothing has actually happened onscreen to reflect the notion that she's anything but a genetically and biologically normal human being

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 11, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't understand why you think the full reveal would have to happen this season. TV shows with mysteries are kind of built on the idea that it would take multiple seasons for the full mystery to be explained. There is more than enough time for the show to set up genetic tampering, experimentation by aliens, and all the backstory stuff involving inhumans without going very deep into it, and allowing a movie to properly introduce them at some point within the next couple of seasons or so.

Given the need to avoid stepping on the toes of a future Inhumans movie, which would presumably go into their origins in much greater detail, how "not very deep" could the show go into those things while still offering more than cryptic teases that do little more in practice than remind audiences that the Big Serialized Mystery in question exists? It doesn't sound workable to me at all, sorry.

And for what it's worth, this is only speculation, but I'm like 75% sure that Skye's father is the MCU High Evolutionary, adapted here as a more traditional mad scientist archetype, and that he's familiar with the Kree through his past experiments rather than being of extraterrestrial origin himself. Now that's a direction that wouldn't overlap with the films too much.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

Inhumans are we don't own the rights to mutants mutants not a separate race of beings with their own anything.

If the writers feel comfortable introducing a character like Absorbing Man without any explanation whatsoever of his origins, and can't touch Attilan or the classic characters, why exactly would they need or want Terrigenesis as a catch-all explanation for superpowers in the first place?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Absorbing Man is related to Loki and Asgard.

...why would you assume that a detail like that applies in the MCU, exactly?

ToastyPotato posted:

It fills the void left by a lack of mutants. It doesn't necessarily replace mutants, but it fills the gap by providing the MCU with people born with powers on Earth as opposed to getting them by accident. Absorbing Man isn't the first person on the show who had powers of unknown origin. It's clearly a mystery the show is building up to explaining, so it isn't like they are just throwing these characters in there and going "no no we aren't interested in explaining their origins." Their origins are part of the mystery, the very mystery that seems to be central to this season's plot.

I'm pretty sure he is, actually. Even Blackout had a few lines of exposition from Coulson to explain his powers.

And I did not get the sense at all that any mystery regarding Creel's origins was being set up, for what that's worth. No characters wondering where his powers came from, no cryptic dialogue from his HYDRA superiors teasing his secret backstory. Unless I missed something.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 11, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Scorch didn't have his powers explained did he? The whole point of Raina looking for special, gifted people with hidden potential is already a running mystery. Right now he was simply designated as a gifted, but its pretty clear that this isn't very special to SHIELD at this point as they have no reason to suspect anything other than some weird science experiment giving powers at this point.

If anything it was kind of bad writing that they weren't more interested in how he got his ability, but it is possible that they didn't want to write themselves into a corner by beating the audience over the head with the fact that he possibly gained powers in ways that they are just not ready to go into yet.

Oh, I was forgetting that episode. But I think there was at least a line about him acquiring powers through some industrial accident, no?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

According to the wiki, his powers merely manifested one day, which eventually lead to some kind of accident. They never explained where his powers actually came from.

He lived near a nuclear power plant that caught fire. Not as explicit as some of the others, granted.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I know the Queen of England exists but I will probably never meet her. But I have met several people from the UK. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Depends, is Buckingham Palace preventing you from revealing anything about the history of the UK or its location and geography until you meet the queen?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Tunklord Supreme posted:

I'm probably way off base with this, but his first and last scenes this episode were giving me a real strong Dr. Calvin Zabo/Mr. Hyde vibe. Not an Inhuman in the comics but who knows if that's true in the MCU.

Still not buying the Inhumans stuff, but after this week, I might have to lean more towards Hyde than High Evolutionary.

Problem with the Quake theory is that there's a 616 Skye on the Deodato cover of the upcoming TV-based SHIELD #1 comic who looks nothing like Daisy, and that book is supposed to be at least semi-consistent with the TV series as far as characterization goes.

Then again, that cover was already outdated by the time it was released at SDCC (it still has Rogers Cap and male Thor on it), and I'm not sure any of the interviews have mentioned a 616 Skye, so perhaps it doesn't actually represent the final book.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 22, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Believe what you want, Inhumans on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair). You will probably start to see some TV->film integration, as opposed to just the reverse, beginning with AOU, but that's unlikely to ever be anything more than relatively small cameos or Easter eggs.

SHIELD is a companion series to the film canon, not an integral storytelling engine for it, and it's best to accept that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

If Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are turned into inhumans then that's just next summer.

Feige explicitly denied that earlier this year. Maybe he was lying, but if they're set up in AOU, I think it'll be in another fashion.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Scapegoat posted:

Hydra was in place from the start of AoS simply under a pseudonym before the Winter Solider reveal. Why can't Skye and dad be aliens who's real origins aren't explored until the Inhuman movie?

Actually, that's exactly why Centipede and the Clairvoyant didn't work as antagonists for most of S1 - there was so little revealed about them, largely in an effort to protect the sanctity of the HYDRA reveal, that it was all but impossible to give a gently caress.

What you suggest sounds like a great idea if your favorite part of the show is Raina cryptically hinting at things. If you value narrative momentum, not so much.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Scapegoat posted:

Your going to have to decide what you're saying. First post you say inhumans aren't going to be introduced until the movie, next you agree they could be in the series but would be bad for the plot. Which is it?

There isn't any contradiction between thinking something is a bad idea and being all but certain it won't happen.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Teek posted:

Wasn't it actually "Fuzzy pictures of a black actor were taken by a fan from far away that looks like it could be Triplett"(?) I still don't think it's been 100% it was actually him as of yet.

Not that I'm doubting it's not him, I think it probably is, if only to explain why he's being kept around on the show, but given little to do.

Yeah, I find it plausible enough that Britt was on set, but I don't think there were any photos taken sharp enough to prove that he was. Still treating it as a rumor for now, albeit one I'm inclined to believe.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

VDay posted:

Oh and the first 16 episodes took six months to air. There were constant breaks, some of which lasted 2-3 weeks, which made sticking with a boring show with a glacial pace that didn't really seem to be going anywhere pretty hard. There was a Christmas break, a break for the Olympics, a break for sweeps, and then like two more random breaks that had to be thrown in so the show would sync up with the release of the Winter Soldier. Episode 10 aired on December 10th. Episode 16 aired in April. Imagine having to wait all that time only to watch episodes like the one where the awful evil general mastermind character sits in an empty warehouse eating steak before everyone has a poorly-choreographed, slow, unexciting fight.

I'm not convinced the scheduling hurt ratings as much as most people think - the ratings reached a plateau with the winter finale in December, and the scheduling didn't start getting weird until the following month.

But as a viewer, obviously, what they're doing with S2 and Agent Carter is way better.

I'm also not sure any of the breaks were actually there for the sake of TWS, as opposed to simply not having enough episodes in a 22-episode season to fill that entire period - there was at least one recent interview, IIRC, where Whedon/Tancharoen said that the timing (in terms of which episode) TWS would hit was still in flux fairly late in the season, and that they needed the network to set the schedule before they could determine how to write it.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 9, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

If anything, the whole "we have to find the Kree city before HYDRA does!" points against Attilan and an Inhumans storyline, given how far the film is from release; how could they even depict Attilan on the show, on a much lower effects budget, when everything substantial to reveal about it is presumably being saved for the films?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

S2E09 synopsis, contains extremely vague spoilers:

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23684/declassifying_marvels_agents_of_shield_.ye_who_enter_here

I don't buy the Inhumans theory myself, but it sounds like we should find out fairly soon whether there's any merit to it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

greatn posted:

I love the guest stars listing, because you're like YES! Character X is in this one! YES! Character Y is in this one!

and also a CASHIER!

But what if that CASHIER were actually Abigail Brand? Or Veranke the Skrull Queen?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

You don't have to buy it man, but they are sure as poo poo selling it.

Where is it losing you, just out of curiosity?

The notion that Marvel Studios proper would let a mere TV series, one with which by all indications they have minimal hands-on creative involvement, be the first to take the Inhumans toys out of the box.

By that, I don't just mean that this show can't introduce Black Bolt, Medusa, etc.; I'm sure that's obvious enough to everyone. What I can't get past right now is the idea that Studios would allow SHIELD to deliver some non-trivial modicum of exposition about (some combination of) Inhuman society, their quasi-cosmic origins, or Terrigenesis - and with the city as the main focus of the final episodes of the year, surely some modicum of exposition about its origins and purpose is necessary. Not before those crucial backstory elements are set up in a film with a much, much bigger budget in which Feige et al. actually have their hands, anyway.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It would get people watching though, having a big 'hey this thing in this new episode will be important for the MCU!!".

With respect to the notion of this show ever being "important" to the broader MCU, I think that ship sailed a long time ago. There's probably a good reason why no one from Studios proper even has an EP credit.

Since most of the Internet seems to have bought into the Inhumans theory, I guess I'm in the minority there, though!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Backstories and characters aside you need the mythos. Getting a grip on what a kree and Inhuman is, will take some carefully placed flash cards for your average dimwit.

Does it? Thor and GotG introduced entire corners of the MCU with relatively little setup in previous films (GotG had a bit more in Avengers and TDW's credits scenes, but as far as the actual story went it was easily one of the more self-contained films Marvel has done), and Dr. Strange looks to do the same for the magic side of the MCU.

That said, Feige did more or less say that there would be some Inhumans setup in the MCU sooner than November 2018. I just don't think SHIELD is what he was referring to.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I dunno man, AoS isn't an island, shits happening in the universe. It's good to have movie level mythos and possibly characters come in to this show so the movies are not crammed full of stuff that can have a season of TV to be introduced, and then tent pole the greater story. It works for me, thus far.

...well, obviously it's one universe, but what "movie-level mythos and characters" thus far have been introduced in the TV series first? The closest thing is the presumably-Kree corpse, and they likely only got away with showing that before GotG by revealing absolutely nothing about what it was or where it came from in S1. Not really a workable model for every ongoing subplot.

Deadpool posted:

The fact that they call it an ancient city makes me think it's just going to be ruins from some secret Kree city.

Yeah, probably an abandoned Kree outpost, and likely not one that's specifically from the comics.

Actually, I'm kinda wondering how much SHIELD can even do with the Kree at this point, since GotG revealed next to nothing about them other than their existence and that they were at war with Xandar. Maybe it's actually a Skifflefuffle disguised as a Kree, who knows.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I didn't say any had, i said it would be good to have it (if that is indeed what they are doing).

I think your being super nit picky about it. Anything that expands the universe for the better is totally fine with me. But it's your right to protest homeslice, go nuts.

I'm not talking about whether it would be a good idea (though I do have my opinion, posted earlier in this thread - tl;dr: I'm pretty certain it's not). I'm saying that as far as I can tell, the nature of Marvel Studios proper's relationship with this show, or lack thereof, doesn't allow for it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I don't think anything can be said for certain. Nothing like this has ever really happened before. Marvel's kinda making this poo poo up as they go.

For certain? Well, true, it's not like I work on the show and have already seen the next few episodes.

But I don't see how the Inhumans' introduction, even purely as a concept, could happen without Marvel Studios taking a direct, hands-on role in breaking story for the season. And there's just no indication that they're involved with SHIELD on that level.

Riven posted:

Yeah when you don't know if a show is going to last or not, it doesn't make sense to go hog wild with it. But with the step up in quality post Winter Soldier I honk they could be more confident in doing so. And it would probably boost viewership of people knew serious poo poo happens on the show instead of it just being a mirror to the films.

What I'm saying has nothing to do with ratings and everything to do with the implicit assumption that only one "they" would be necessary for that to happen.

Look, Marvel Studios proper does not care that much about this show. Well, I don't mean at all, I'm sure most of the folks there enjoy SHIELD and would be sorry to see it go, but it won't make a drat bit of difference to their game plan through 2019 if the show gets cancelled.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 18, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyway, AoS has a bit of a barrier between it and the MCU proper, and that is that no one in the movies knows (or acknowledged that they know) that Coulson is alive. With Coulson essentially being SHIELD, we can't see any real interaction until the new SHIELD is acknowledged in a film. Reports indicate that something along the lines of this SHOULD happen in Avengers 2, but unfortunately that movie takes place after the end of Season 2. So there simply isn't an open door for AoS to do much this season, aside from potentially provide bonus exposition for movie stuff.

I keep hearing this "the season ends before AoU" nonsense; do people think AoU is opening Memorial Day weekend rather than May 1, or later, or what? Unless ABC cuts the show's order, there will be at least three episodes airing after AOU is releases There were always going to be at least two; 22-episode TV seasons never end before mid-May, or at least, I can't recall the last time one did.

As for what you're alluding to in AoU, I believed it for a while, but I recently reconsidered the source and it's actually incredibly dubious. A single, no-name UK blogger took a single, blurry photo of a black dude who could just as easily be Anthony Mackie from that distance, and said it was Britt; most of the fanboy Internet took this at face value, as it is wont to do with such things. That's it, as far as I can tell.

quote:

Also, I don't understand how having Inhumans revealed on AoS is a big deal, but having Kree visiting Earth hundreds if not thousands of years prior to the beginning of the MCU being revealed isn't. I'd say those are both absolutely substantial.

Captain Marvel is getting a movie and her whole existence is Kree/Earth related, so if it turns out the city is Kree and the body is Kree, then that is no different than Inhuman backstory stuff popping up on the show instead.

Kree having visited Earth is a laudable bit of world-building for this show, but it's not germane to the films unless the city in question is Inhumans-related or Captain Marvel's plot involves ancient Kree on Earth and not just ones of more recent vintage.

So no, I don't agree that it's "substantial" as far as the movies are concerned, at least that it's inherently so.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 18, 2014

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It would be hard to reintroduce Coulson to the films in a manner that feels organic to the story and not like a shoehorned-in plug for the TV series.

Probably not impossible, but hard.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Barry Convex seems to have some personal stake in the show remaining separate from the films. Did he :toxx: himself over it?

Hardly. I just enjoy arguing about stupid poo poo on the Internet.

Anyway, it's not and hasn't been "separate" from the films. But it's not going to start being "important" to them, either, no matter how many of the fans choose to believe otherwise.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

MacLachlan doesn't seem like he's playing the same character as when he last appeared.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Republican Vampire posted:

You were the flippant one, dude.

If you seriously want to know it'd be an extension of what they're already doing: Kree Technology and Materials being creepy and ominous and important as heck combined with Absorbing Man style villains of the week who have powers of mysterious origins that they might slowly draw together over time. Treat it as a season-long b-plot with an episode or two per season that leans on it hard.

Y'know.. standard genre TV metaplot stuff. vOv

You mean, mysterious origins that are drawn together for a long, long, long, long time? Like, four years?

Be more specific. What do you expect can be revealed about the Inhumans' backstory, society, and origins before they're introduced in the films?

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Really good episode, glad that MacLachlan seemingly being out of character actually had a point. Still wondering why he isn't in next week's episode, though, and what the Chinese villagers were doing in Austria.

Republican Vampire posted:

The fact that the Kree experimented and created superhumans?

I mean that's basically been revealed already. We've seen a Kree. We've seen Kree technology. We've seen that some humans react better genetically and that there's suspicion they may not be entirely human.

Basically their whole mythology short of the Royal family could be introduced prior to the films and just get recapped or exposited on the fly in the movie where it first comes up.

Plus the four years thing is a misnomer and you know it.

Okay, yeah, that's pretty firmly just agree-to-disagree territory about what Marvel Studios proper would and wouldn't allow this show to touch.

But just to be clear, you are saying that those elements would be introduced and defined by a TV show with a comparatively tiny budget two and a half years or so before the film that centers around those elements even begins production. Before the script has been finished, before a director is chosen, before the visual design of Attilan and the classic characters is anywhere near finalized.

As for the four years thing: well, sure, Feige did more or less say that there would be Inhumans setup of some kind in the MCU sooner than November 2018. If you meant you expect that that refers to a pre-November 2018 film in addition to this show rather than just the latter, then my mistake.

• Locked thread