Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wow. Good episode, Agents of SHIELD! Between this, Agent Carter, Gotham, Arrow, and The Flash there are a lot of comic book shows I'm actually kind of excited about this season!

Oh, and also Constantine.

poo poo, that's a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Soylentbits posted:

I'm waiting for Fitz to build his own Simmons.

SIMmons?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

I was really surprised that this actually was really good. Although I'm disappointed that we got Taggert instead of Thunderbolt Ross.

Marvel wants to forget that The Incredible Hulk ever existed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BreakAtmo posted:

If that's the case, why did we get the explicit Blonsky mention later last season?

Throwin' the Tim Roth fans a bone? Cute little name drops are probably as far as it'll ever go.

EDIT: Tell you what, I could get behind Ross if they bring back Sam Elliott to play him.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

gannyGrabber posted:

Fitz will continue to feel marginalized, will go to Ward to yell at/blame him. Ward will be all "fitz old bean, we want the same thing! You want the machine they used to fix coulson's dead as hell brain, I want to scrub my memories and become taskmaster! Let's be pals again, and go on a great adventure!"

And fitz will be all 'I always believed in you, Ward me bloke" and then there will be security footage showing them holding hands as they board the bus and fly away.

This except Fitz tries to kill Ward and inadvertently lets him escape, instead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think we'll see SIMmons' encouragement slowly shift to goading Fitz into violent or villainous acts as he degenerates into full-blown psychopathy. Just a wild shot in the dark.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Never did find out what German for "nuts" is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

OB_Juan posted:

Apparently, "Eier". It's the only translation I could find in Google Translate that worked for "balls" and "nuts".
:goonsay:

There's also "nüsse", apparently. :eng101:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Where's Quartermain, that's what I wanna know!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, is there any word on a soundtrack being released for this show? I'm a big ol' Bear McCreary fan and I think the title/Coulson's theme are neat. Kind of riffing on the Avengers theme but not.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Obviously the dog survived and ended up being adopted by some Russian mobsters until a nice fellow offered him a slice of pizza.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Gotham is the new Agents of SHIELD.

Agents of SHIELD is the new Arrow.

Arrow is the new...

...I dunno, but it's great.

Really liking comic book TV shows this season!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think The Flash kind of cheated a little bit, since it's a continuation of Arrow. It started off as strong as it did because it benefited from all the lessons they learned making two seasons of Arrow.

To bring it back to a (slightly) more thread-appropriate topic, I hope that Marvel does the same and keeps in mind the lessons of Agents of SHIELD while making Daredevil. If that comes out of the gate as strong as The Flash it'd be amazing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Talbot whips off the moustache to reveal...a smaller moustache!!! He's still Glenn Talbot, but he just bought a new pair of trimmers and he wanted to try them out. What do you think? Is it too much? Maybe he should just shave his moustache entirely, but you know how it is...he's had a moustache his whole adult life. You grow weirdly attached to things like that, y'know? Anyways, what was he talking about?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
No, Fox has the rights to the Thing. :D

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fred is on posted:

They'll spend an episode implying that the Earth is under attack from killer robots, but never show one on screen for more than like five seconds.

No, that was the Thor: The Dark World crossover episode. The Captain America: The Winter Soldier episode was super-involved with the movie and completely changed the show for the better.

Following that trajectory, the actual climax of Age of Ultron will take place in Agents of SHIELD, which will then go on to be the best television show that has ever existed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think he meant everyone everyone, just everyone in SHIELD.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tastychicken posted:

That's got to be a prime example of either :goonsay: or :spergin:... or both! Can you dig it up for me?

Here it is, in its entirety:

Wolvorine posted:

I see this point come up a lot, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. Why can't Flash have dark hair, why can't Superman be black, etc. The reason, for me at least, is a simple matter of Character Fidelity. It's not that they are Important Things (well some can be, relatively, depends on how much you're changing a character), it's that the character is the character, and I feel that when dealing with a character that has established qualities, one should respect them enough not to treat them as expendable without very good reason.

It may seem silly that a brunette Barry Allen is Wrong Barry Allen to me, or that Wally West should be a white redhead, or whatever. And maybe it kind of is, but it's not only an issue of 'Why isn't Barry blonde?", it's a larger issue of 'If you're going to do the character, why not do them faithfully, else why did you use that character?".

In this case... it's so damned simple to just blonde his hair a bit, it's a trivial effort to make. But for anyone familiar with Barry Allen in comics, for that tiny, trivial little effort what you get is a TV Barry Allen who looks just a little more familiar as that character. And like I said in my last post, even that would be a lot easier to ignore if they didn't have this other actor there who does look a damned lot like comics Barry.

*shrugs* It's all just a matter of Character Fidelity IMHO. Respect the property if you're going to be using it; not just the biggest, most obvious aspects of it.

[[EDIT: It may also help to note that IP matters are a huge deal in what I do, so it's an issue that is important to me for practical reasons as well as personal opinion-based reasons.]]

CHARACTER FIDELITY: IT'S ABOUT RESPECT :colbert:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mymla posted:

How mad did comic book nerds get when Samuel L Jackson was cast as Nick Fury?

Somewhere between Kingpin mad and Heimdal mad.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, it's a really great time to enjoy comic book based television. This show just loving skyrocketed, Arrow and Flash rock, and having just watched the series premiere of Constantine, it shows promise.

And...there's Gotham, too.

I guess.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Respect the 256 mb USB arrow!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"I am Jack's Life Model Decoy."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Beens posted:

Except Ward doesn't shoot anyone in the head in the escape, he punches a few dudes, takes a gun and points it, then the scene cuts to the tatoo guy.

Oh, this is gonna be one of those fun ones, isn't it? Like "Did Ward and May sleep together" or "Michael totally said 'I acquit'"!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't care if it doesn't make any sense, that fuckin' city is K'un-L'un and I won't hear otherwise!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hangedman1984 posted:

How does it feel to be a bad person with bad opinions?

Hey, be nice...he's obviously got a chronic case of wrong.

I think...I think he might be terminal. :(

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
One of the benefits of television over film is that you don't have to cram all of your characterization into ninety to one-hundred and twenty minutes. You can play the long game. You can tease out a character's inner emotions and motivations over weeks, seasons, or even years. In fact, the longer you build up the character, the more satisfying the eventual reveal.

May has already shown herself to be more than just a one-dimensional stoic cardboard cutout. Despite a very rocky start, this show has generated enough good will in me of late to give it the benefit of the doubt in terms of their long-term plans for May.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Or, on the other hand, it is.

I'm not saying ABC's Marvel's Agents of Shield is high art or anything, but they've shown that they're willing to take their time (sometimes to the active detriment of the show) and set things up far in advance.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yes, this is what I'm saying.

And yet the slow build up ended up paying off. This is a good show now with storylines from back at the beginning of the show paying off now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it's more that the episodes around those plot points could have been more interesting, but we're getting into semantics. This seems like it's just a fundamental disagreement. I (and others in this thread, I guess) like May. I like that they're taking it slow with her character instead of just infodumping her no doubt tragic reasons for being distant. I think that the gradual approach will be more rewarding. Obviously you disagree. What more is there to discuss, really?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think she is one dimensional. The characterization is subtle and sparing, but it's there. Her warming up to Skye and playing pranks hint at more than just an emotionally stunted badass.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Every character on the show is some permutation of two-dimensional, though. They're all well-worn stereotypes seen through a pithy, pop-culture obsessed, Whedonian lens. It's a television show based on comic books, I'd be disappointed if it were any other way. Right now May's character is the well-established constant that will eventually be subverted once we get around to having a few May-centric episodes that explore her background and motivations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And May is a fiercely loyal, emotionally walled-off but secretly compassionate badass with an (also secret) penchant for practical jokes and a cavalier attitude towards sexual relations. I mean...stuff is there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, but Coulson's the main character and has the added benefit of having been in several movies. Most of the other characters are much less defined as well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Coulson is the best fleshed-out two-dimensional character on the show, but he's still two-dimensional. He's bascially a combination of "supportive father figure" and "competent g-man" stereotypes with some "embarrassingly enthusiastic fanboy" thrown in for spice. We have no background on him. We don't know why he is any of the things he is.

And being thinly characterized doesn't make any of the characters "lousy". In-depth characterization isn't what Agents of SHIELD is about. It's an action/comic book show. It's about whiz-bang action and badass stereotypes. It's certainly not The Wire.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is three things. And leaves out his idealism. And his whole alien-blood-obsessiveness thing.

The alien blood thing wasn't a character facet, it was a plot point. One which has now been resolved.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

It was a plot point that affected his character. And, also: the other stuff I said.

I mean..."idealism" isn't in-depth characterization, either? It's just a free-floating character aspect amongst all the other stereotypes. Phil Coulson was a tertiary character in a few Marvel movies and, as of yet, has not yet been developped much beyond that. I'm not saying they won't. I'm sure we'll get Coulson-centric episodes in the future that will explore his past and motivations. But we haven't gotten them yet.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, yeah, which brings us back to you just don't like her. Which is fine. But it's not because she's necessarily less developed relative to the other characters. She just represents a stereotype you don't care for. Which, again, is fine.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't think anything can be said for certain. Nothing like this has ever really happened before. Marvel's kinda making this poo poo up as they go.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know how much involvement would even be required. They would only really have to give the TV division the green light to introduce the Inhumans.

It could be seen as stealing the future Inhumans movie's thunder...or it could be seen as lifting a burden of exposition off of it. Instead of being an origin story and having to introduce all of the necessary ideas, they could just start in media res, drop only what explanations would be necessary to understand the film, and basically say "Would you like to know more about the Inhumans? Check out ABC's Agents of SHIELD for the whole story!"

Yeah, it would be almost unprecedented, but a lot of this whole medium-spanning venture is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, but that was SHIELD riding the coattails of Winter Soldier, not vice versa. We didn't even get a SHIELD cast reaction shot in the movie.

• Locked thread