Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Right now the only 64gb 6 that's showing as delivers 9/19 for me is the gold one so I don't think it's the most popular option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I ordered the gold one. Gold brings luck!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

If by luck you mean it draws the eye of pickpockets and muggers. :colbert:

(Nah, it looks cool and I also got one, but it was gray for me all the way)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

A MIRACLE posted:

You will love the 2012 Lucky Goldstar Nexus 4 then!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SourKraut posted:

Have any other phones done downsampling in the past? Could give some slight insight into how performance may be. So far the only reference I have found is Ars' comment about choppiness of the UI relative to the 6, with no other real comment on it.

No phones no (what Android does with target sizes is something different). But Apple does it with the Macbook Pro Retina if you use a resolution higher than 1/4th of the physical pixel resolution. Performance hit there is minimal, but we're talking about a top-of-the-line i5/i7 there, so I doubt it is really comparable.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 12, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

After some thought and serious meditation on a mountain away from men, I've concluded that (coming from a 5S) I'm a bit underwhelmed with the new offerings. Basically bigger numbers. Even the design is not driving me crazy, while the tall phone seemed beautiful from the start. I will miss the shiny edges too. The bigger screen is not a selling point for me, the 5S seems the perfect size already for my hands, there is still a 10% of the top right screen where I can't reach comfortably but it still works.

I just don't want these new phones.

Seems to me they might have overstretched their team with the whole Apple Watch rush. I don't want an Apple Watch either, but apparently they're gonna sell like hotcakes.

If I had a 4S still I'd be all over the 6, I suppose. Anyone else on a 5 or 5S that is not "feeling it" this year?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm still not crazy about the lines on the back. They drew them to look like the glass parts of the 5, and I bet they're part of having NFC in a metal phone, but they just look like an afterthought, almost like a prototype or something. Maybe the official shots make them look more obvious than they are.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I forget from past years- do the preorders typically arrive on launch day?

I've got to go out of town the next week and it's gonna suck if my shiny new phone is out of my reach for a week.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Don Tacorleone posted:

After some thought and serious meditation on a mountain away from men, I've concluded that (coming from a 5S) I'm a bit underwhelmed with the new offerings. Basically bigger numbers. Even the design is not driving me crazy, while the tall phone seemed beautiful from the start. I will miss the shiny edges too. The bigger screen is not a selling point for me, the 5S seems the perfect size already for my hands, there is still a 10% of the top right screen where I can't reach comfortably but it still works.

Seems to me they might have overstretched their team with the whole Apple Watch rush. I don't want an Apple Watch either, but apparently they're gonna sell like hotcakes.

If I had a 4S still I'd be all over the 6, I suppose. Anyone else on a 5 or 5S that is not "feeling it" this year?

If my 5 didn't have absolutely no battery and frequently run of space to take a picture (I have a 16 gig) I probably wouldn't upgrade, but I mean, unless Apple does something very different next years phones are going to just be the same but with more numbers so it would be like 2 more years before I updated and thats just too long to wait.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I forget from past years- do the preorders typically arrive on launch day?

I've got to go out of town the next week and it's gonna suck if my shiny new phone is out of my reach for a week.

Yes

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Don Tacorleone posted:

You have sufficiently Defended Your Purchase

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm still rockin a flip phone. Gonna be a nice upgrade

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I felt the same way about the 5 and to a lesser degree the 5S when my 4S was just a year (or two) old.

AND

This Spigen Case with a credit card slot is making me rethink my case purchase. Looks pretty spiffy, but I'm concerned the cards will stick in that enclosure, which would be annoying. http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6/iphone-6-case-slim-armor-cs-4-7.html

xian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 12, 2014

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

carry on then posted:

I'm still not crazy about the lines on the back. They drew them to look like the glass parts of the 5, and I bet they're part of having NFC in a metal phone, but they just look like an afterthought, almost like a prototype or something. Maybe the official shots make them look more obvious than they are.

The promotional shots definitely have the saturation/contracts ramped up a bit. I would say the iPhone 5S is very photogenic but starts to look bad pretty quickly in real life (the bezel is extremely susceptible to dings and scratches and it feels kind of hollow). The 6 is much less photogenic but actually looks pretty slick in real life and feels tighter and more durable, like a solid slab of metal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm still rockin a flip phone. Gonna be a nice upgrade
Your mind will likely explode when you get your first iPhone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I jumped from a lovely LG prepaid "smart"phone with Android 2.2 to a then new iPhone 5 and that was amazing, so what you're in for is something else altogether :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Your mind will likely explode when you get your first iPhone.

Haha, I actually develop for iOS among others. But in my private life I am a Luddite. I still use cassette tapes! :science:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

I've been awful at following all the iPhone stuff, but what exactly happens to multitasking on the 6 plus now that it has the screen shift functionality?

Edit: Oh apparently it's a soft tap of the home button. Interesting.

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? Or just link to something about it. I'm not sure what a 'soft tap' is, and I'm only guessing that by 'screen shift' you mean the ipad-style landscape mode?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? Or just link to something about it. I'm not sure what a 'soft tap' is, and I'm only guessing that by 'screen shift' you mean the ipad-style landscape mode?

He means the new "reachability" mode (which shifts the screen down) is a double touch of the home button, not a double press (which is still used to get into the app switcher)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DarkJC posted:

He means the new "reachability" mode (which shifts the screen down) is a double touch of the home button, not a double press (which is still used to get into the app switcher)

The Home button is really geting crowded with all the different ways you have to interact with it.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Ahhh. I hadn't heard any of those details. Thanks!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Decius posted:

The Home button is really geting crowded with all the different ways you have to interact with it.

Agreed, and reachability overall feels like a quick hack. I'll reserve judgement until I actually have the phone in my hands though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Agreed, and reachability overall feels like a quick hack. I'll reserve judgement until I actually have the phone in my hands though.
I'm not really sure what else you can do. The Galaxy S5's solution is to literally shrink the screen, which is even more ridiculous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXWFtYyTEWQ

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 12, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not really sure what else you can do. The Galaxy S5's solution is to literally shrink the screen, which is even more ridiculous:

I dunno, this seems way better than making the screen about 1/3 its size.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

That shrunken display is hilarious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I dunno, this seems way better than making the screen about 1/3 its size.
Apple isn't actually shrinking the screen. They're sliding everything down momentarily so you can access stuff at the top of the screen. There's a difference to the approaches here. The Samsung approach seems to be to have you use 1 handed mode for extended periods, in which case you are a moron, why did you buy a phone that was too big? The Apple approach gives you momentary access to the part of the screen you can't reach and returns you to full use of the screen immediately after.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

Apple isn't actually shrinking the screen. They're sliding everything down momentarily so you can access stuff at the top of the screen. There's a difference to the approaches here. The Samsung approach seems to be to have you use 1 handed mode for extended periods, in which case you are a moron, why did you buy a phone that was too big? The Apple approach gives you momentary access to the part of the screen you can't reach and returns you to full use of the screen immediately after.

This just seems like a worse option to me, personally. For example, if I'm out and about, I can see myself using my phone with two hands, doing all that cool two handed poo poo people would do, but at home, I'd like one handed view if I'm lying in bed or just using my phone for a few moments.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note that Apple's UI design makes it so that you need access to the top of the screen for almost any navigation action.

They need some kind of technology that can detect when your thumb is at the end of its reach and slides the display down accordingly.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ehhh dragging from the left edge is a thing.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm really not a fan of the Samsung method either, it feels just as hacky. But I don't really have a better solution for the problem.

The "slide to go back" feature they introduced in iOS 7 will go a long way towards mitigating how often you need to reach the top of the screen. I already use it even on the 4 inch screen and it's to the point now where it's jarring when apps don't support it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DarkJC posted:

I'm really not a fan of the Samsung method either, it feels just as hacky. But I don't really have a better solution for the problem.

The "slide to go back" feature they introduced in iOS 7 will go a long way towards mitigating how often you need to reach the top of the screen. I already use it even on the 4 inch screen and it's to the point now where it's jarring when apps don't support it.
Yeah, I use slide to go back on everything. What I wonder if whether the average user is aware of the gesture since there's not a user manual that people read.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Not sure where else to discuss this, but apparently Apple is getting a 0.15% cut of every purchase made with Apple Pay. It's going to count on people going through the hassle of getting their cards set up, but that's an incredible amount.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Not sure where else to discuss this, but apparently Apple is getting a 0.15% cut of every purchase made with Apple Pay. It's going to count on people going through the hassle of getting their cards set up, but that's an incredible amount.
Apparently you just take a photo of your credit card and the software does the rest. The only thing easier would be tapping the card to the phone like it was an NFC reader.

They need a huge marketing campaign about this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

illcendiary posted:

And they extracted that from the banks.

https://developer.apple.com/apple-pay/Getting-Started-with-Apple-Pay.pdf

quote:

How much does it cost to accept Apple Pay?
Apple does not charge users, merchants or developers to use Apple Pay for payments. Your credit and debit transactions will continue to be handled by the payment networks.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The NFC chip and touchid is almost certainly more secure than current credit card implementation, banks apparently agree.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't you mean they extracted it from the payment processors? Visa, Masterard, and Amex?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Chemmy posted:

The NFC chip and touchid is almost certainly more secure than current credit card implementation, banks apparently agree.

It is. In Canada we have NFC built into the credit cards already, and if someone were to steal my credit card they could easily use tap-to-pay for a bunch of small purchases (there's some kind of maximum on each tap transaction, $100 maybe?) with no other authorization required.

If someone steals an iPhone, it will still require fingerprint authorization for the purchase to go through. This is probably why they were able to negotiate the "card present" lower rates.

It also increases convenience because there's no need for a maximum transaction limit on NFC anymore, you can use it for any transaction that has a supported reader.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DarkJC posted:

The solution is easy, don't make the phone ridiculously huge. If they announced Reachability as an Android feature a month ago everyone would have laughed at how stupid it is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

In iOS 8 Mail, how do I add 'trash' as an option when I swipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

In iOS 8 Mail, how do I add 'trash' as an option when I swipe?

Get ready for this one cause it's a mouthful:

Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Select the Account -> Account -> Advanced -> Change "Move Discarded Messages Into" to "Deleted Mailbox"

Note that this will replace the archive option, it seems to be either one or the other.