Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

It's this part that slightly confuses me. I've seen a couple articles out there about the large number of stores that have pledged to support apple pay and also about some that have declined to support it (best buy and Walmart, I think).

What does it mean that they've said they wouldn't support it? Does a company have to opt in to support Apple pay? I thought the whole thing was that I can use it anywhere that accepts credit cards and has a working nfc reader, and that there's soon going to be a lot more of those due to the government mandated changeover to chip&pin in 2015.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm assuming it means that Walmart won't be installing the supported readers.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

DarkJC posted:

But they have to. All retailers will by October 2015.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

But they have to. All retailers will by October 2015.

Chip and PIN doesn't require NFC.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

DarkJC posted:

So when they say they're not supporting Apple pay, what they really mean is they aren't supporting any form of NFC payment then.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I use slide to go back on everything. What I wonder if whether the average user is aware of the gesture since there's not a user manual that people read.

Same here.

And then I'm pissed every time I do it in Facebook and it opens up the side menu instead of taking me back a level/page.

It's the only app I can think of that does this wrong.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What's the preferred site to use for custom cases? Wasn't there one that was goon-run? I just got a 5s by just straight up giving AT&T my 4S, and I need to get a decent case for it.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

e: poo poo sorry, this should go in the preorder thread.

vvv moving to the preorder thread, but it was definitely a new monthly charge. Bizarre.

mareep fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 13, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There's usually a one time fee for upgrading.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

redcheval posted:

vvv moving to the preorder thread, but it was definitely a new monthly charge. Bizarre.

There's been an upgrade fee for every iPhone release.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

redcheval posted:

In sure there is some kinda mistake. There is no way they are use randomly charging a new fee every month people would be talking about it. The upgrade fee is usually just put on the bill

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

That bumps up the entire phone bill permanently? Apparently with all our lines upgrading the total phone bill would go up $150 which seems excessive, and I feel like my parents would have flipped about this in past years.

e: yeah, I thought it was really odd that this is the first I've heard of it, but it's definitely on the preorder as a monthly charge. Wondering if this is some weird mistake. AT&T has always been kind of garbagey with us about fees and charges but this just seems unusual.

mareep fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 13, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Only if you do that upgrade again in 12 months plan, otherwise it's a straight up $40, based on my purchase.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

BGrifter posted:

The solution is easy, don't make the phone ridiculously huge. If they announced Reachability as an Android feature a month ago everyone would have laughed at how stupid it is.

Why bother getting upset that some people want phones with huge screens? Even if you think it's the dumbest thing in the world, who cares? Just get a smaller phone for yourself and be happy. How do other peoples phone preferences affect your life?

I think Android phones are terrible in general, but I don't get mad about it or begrudge people who prefer them. If anything, I'm glad they are happy with them.

There is no worse waste of energy than the tired "big screen phones are stupid", "Apple vs Android", "Android did this a year before Apple yet didn't get credit", or "If Android did this people would reply like 'X' while they'd reply 'Y' if Apple did" crap.

Unrelated Edit: If anyone else got the "your phone has been reserved and we will email you later to complete your transaction" deal from the Apple Store like I did, just wanted to let you know I got the email from them today. I actually had went ahead and successfully ordered the phone anyway last night after I got the reserved notice, but just wanted to pass this info along in case people are wondering if Apple will actually follow through with it. You should get an email from them to complete your order by some point today. I guess I'll just ignore mine since I placed an order successfully.

My reserved phone was also 7-10 day shipping estimate like my successfully completed order, even though the one I got reserved happened about an hour earlier, so it doesn't look like you'll get any quicker shipping priority on the reserved phone regardless of when your half-order went through, unfortunately.

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 13, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Crossposting from the Android thread:

So speaking of battery, how good is it now in modern smartphones, Android and Apple? If I were to drive around town, moving in and out of different tower ranges, but only having the screen on for an hour or less, can I expect multi-day standby times out of a Nexus 5 or an iPhone 5s? I've only had my Galaxy Nexus and right now with the same usage pattern it's dead by the end of a 12 hour day.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tractor fanatic posted:

So speaking of battery, how good is it now in modern smartphones, Android and Apple? If I were to drive around town, moving in and out of different tower ranges, but only having the screen on for an hour or less, can I expect multi-day standby times out of a Nexus 5 or an iPhone 5s? I've only had my Galaxy Nexus and right now with the same usage pattern it's dead by the end of a 12 hour day.

Both phones would survive that. The Facebook app semi-recently was revealed to be a hog of battery drain on devices, so that might take up some if you use it. Outside of that, battery times usually last a day or so with standard use. Multiple days is a stretch.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

I've had days where I'd take it off charger (iPhone 5) in the morning and wouldn't use the phone at all except to turn the screen on to check time or check/delete incoming mails and at the end of the night it's probably around mid-60% or so.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Damo posted:

Why bother getting upset that some people want phones with huge screens? Even if you think it's the dumbest thing in the world, who cares? Just get a smaller phone for yourself and be happy. How do other peoples phone preferences affect your life?
Eventually there won't be smaller phones. If I wanted a big phone, I would have bought one already. I understand that's what Apple's trying to prevent (people switching to Android for bigger phones/screens), but it's just unfortunate that current size phone is most likely going away. People use their phones quite a bit, so I don't see what's so weird about having an opinion on its physical form.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

tractor fanatic posted:

A new phone with a new battery can easily last a day with moderate usage like you desribe. I've never had an issue with battery life in any of my iPhones -- 3g, 4, and 5. I can't remember ever having to charge my phone before the day ends, even with pretty heavy usage.

I only mentioned "new" battery because all rechargeable batteries lose capacity the more they are used/age. For example, my 5's battery, being around 2 years old at this point, is starting to show it's age. The charge isn't lasting me as long as it used to. Although I can still get through a day without charging with no issues. The difference in the battery's charge is noticeable, but still doesn't pose a problem even after 2 years of usage.

If you are very concerned about battery life, and don't mind a huge phone, the 6+ model is supposed to have appreciably better battery life than the normal 6 -- that is, if Apples numbers are to be trusted.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 13, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Toe Rag posted:

Eventually there won't be smaller phones. If I wanted a big phone, I would have bought one already. I understand that's what Apple's trying to prevent (people switching to Android for bigger phones/screens), but it's just unfortunate that current size phone is most likely going away. People use their phones quite a bit, so I don't see what's so weird about having an opinion on its physical form.

Well, they do still sell the 5C and 5S. Who knows, maybe in year or two they will replace the 5C with another low cost style phone with a similar size.

But yeah, I guess I can kind of understand being disappointed that the flagship models don't come in the 4.0" size anymore. However, 4.7" isn't exactly a huge deal larger. Seems like a good bargain between huge and old school iPhone size to me. I think you'd likely get used to it much more easily than you think if you gave it a shot.

edit: Oops, meant to edit this into my previous post. Sorry for the 2 posts in a row.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Damo posted:

A new phone with a new battery can easily last a day with moderate usage like you desribe. I've never had an issue with battery life in any of my iPhones -- 3g, 4, and 5. I can't remember ever having to charge my phone before the day ends, even with pretty heavy usage.

I only mentioned "new" battery because all rechargeable batteries lose capacity the more they are used/age. For example, my 5's battery, being around 2 years old at this point, is starting to show it's age. The charge isn't lasting me as long as it used to. Although I can still get through a day without charging with no issues. The difference in the battery's charge is noticeable, but still doesn't pose a problem even after 2 years of usage.

If you are very concerned about battery life, and don't mind a huge phone, the 6+ model is supposed to have appreciably better battery life than the normal 6 -- that is, if Apples numbers are to be trusted.

Unless you were one of the lucky ones like me!

Currently have an iPhone 5, battery went to poo poo after a little over a year. I went in and had it replaced last winter and paid the battery swap charge. Turns out my phone was eligible for that whole 'free battery replacement' that was announced last month, I was given a refund for paying out of pocket for it.

Then about two weeks ago, my battery kept dying super fast. I restored, tried everything I could think of that would get rid of any potential issue. Ended up taking the phone into an Apple store (btw can y'all stop saying "Fruit Stand" because you sound like loving morons) to see what was up, turned out that my "new" battery was failing and it was doing the "swollen battery" thing and was pushing the screen off of the phone casing so they ended up giving me a refurb swap, no questions asked. Which is cool I guess, but it just seems like there was definitely an issue in production with some of the 5's.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hands Colon posted:

(btw can y'all stop saying "Fruit Stand" because you sound like loving morons)

Agreed.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Apparently the 6+ is selling out faster than than the 6.

Now I'm not sure if this means they made a lot fewer or misjudged sales or what but it's interesting.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Suqit posted:

Now I'm not sure if this means they made a lot fewer or misjudged sales or what but it's interesting.

Wait until people realize you can't sit down or climb stairs with it in your front pocket. Its like the Note all over again - 2014 Apple style.

Welcome to the world of Stockholm syndrome folks. I recommend finding an institutionalized Android goon to help you through the stages of denial. We've all been there. Soon the 6+ will look too small and you will wonder what happened to reality.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Suqit posted:

Probably the rumored constrained availability. Honestly I wonder how late in the process the decision to offer a larger model was made, quite a few things point to the 6 plus being a little rushed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hotsauce posted:

Wait until people realize you can't sit down or climb stairs with it in your front pocket. Its like the Note all over again - 2014 Apple style.

Welcome to the world of Stockholm syndrome folks. I recommend finding an institutionalized Android goon to help you through the stages of denial. We've all been there. Soon the 6+ will look too small and you will wonder what happened to reality.

Depends a lot on the trousers - fat guy pants shouldn't be an issue, skinny jeans are. It won't fit in the shirt pocket (my Moto X does, so the slightly bigger iPhone 6 should do) but will in those of a jacket (if you don't mind the worse look).
Also, big phones sell well to women, who more often than not don't even have the luxury of real trousers pockets and carry the phone in the purse, where the additional size isn't really relevant, but the gained interaction space is. I wouldn't be very surprised if Apple actually sells more iPhone 6+ to women than men.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Decius posted:

Depends a lot on the trousers - fat guy pants shouldn't be an issue, skinny jeans are. It won't fit in the shirt pocket (my Moto X does, so the slightly bigger iPhone 6 should do) but will in those of a jacket (if you don't mind the worse look).
Also, big phones sell well to women, who more often than not don't even have the luxury of real trousers pockets and carry the phone in the purse, where the additional size isn't really relevant, but the gained interaction space is. I wouldn't be very surprised if Apple actually sells more iPhone 6+ to women than men.

Amatures

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

This just seems like a worse option to me, personally. For example, if I'm out and about, I can see myself using my phone with two hands, doing all that cool two handed poo poo people would do, but at home, I'd like one handed view if I'm lying in bed or just using my phone for a few moments.

If you want to use the phone in a "one handed mode" like the Note for extended periods of time then it just sounds like a large phone is not for you. Apple's solution sounds like the best compromise, although with the back navigation button being on the upper left I'm worried it will make using Reachability necessary too often. I'm going to a 6+ from a Nexus 5 (a 5" phone) so I'm already used to not being able to reach all of the phone with one hand all of the time, but I'm also used to having a back button on the bottom that's easily reachable.

People are ultimately going to find the larger screen worth it to get used to using two hands more often (which I think I will) or will just hate it and go back to "normal" sized phones. The exchange rate of the 6+ will be interesting.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hotsauce posted:

That is entirely dependent on what pants you are wearing. Big fat nerds will have no problem keeping the 6+ in their pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Y8HMCz7p4&t=234s

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

If you want to use the phone in a "one handed mode" like the Note for extended periods of time then it just sounds like a large phone is not for you. Apple's solution sounds like the best compromise, although with the back navigation button being on the upper left I'm worried it will make using Reachability necessary too often. I'm going to a 6+ from a Nexus 5 (a 5" phone) so I'm already used to not being able to reach all of the phone with one hand all of the time, but I'm also used to having a back button on the bottom that's easily reachable.

People are ultimately going to find the larger screen worth it to get used to using two hands more often (which I think I will) or will just hate it and go back to "normal" sized phones. The exchange rate of the 6+ will be interesting.

Normal sized phones don't exist anymore.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

When's iOS8 due to drop?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nam Taf posted:

When's iOS8 due to drop?

Two days before iPhone 6/6+ come out, the 17th.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand people who put phones in their pockets. It's just begging to get dust, lint, scratches and abrasions in the phone.

They're neckbeard monsters is what I'm saying.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

AHH FUGH posted:

I don't understand people who put phones in their pockets. It's just begging to get dust, lint, scratches and abrasions in the phone.

You're right. Everyone should get armbands and wear your phone on your wrist like Leela.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

AHH FUGH posted:

So if you're not carrying a bag with you, where else other than a pocket is it going to go?

Unless I finally get to rock a belt-clip phone holster.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

AHH FUGH posted:

At some point during the past couple of years I finally realized that these things are meant to be used, and they're even designed to be slightly abused, not protected like Fabergé eggs. I took it out of the case, put it in my pockets, and more or less treat it like a handy device that I'm realistically going to replace every two years. Apple Care is available if the thought of damaging your pocket computer gives you unreasonable anxiety. I wouldn't want to walk around with a cracked screen for a year, so it's nice to know I can replace it relatively cheaply if need be.

I don't say this to smarmy but it honestly greatly improved my enjoyment of the iPhone 5 after treating my 3GS and 4 like newborn babies.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Preordering iPhones is the dumbest thing ever. Preorder it online and get it like 3-4 weeks late. I've been to 4 iPhone launches with my local AT&T stores and just got there an hour before opening and always got my new iPhone without problems. There's even donuts & coffee :dance:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AHH FUGH posted:

It's a tool, not a goddamn Fabergé egg. I understand wanting to keep it looking as nice as possible, but at the end of the day a smartphone is something I buy for convenience and portability, not to look pretty, and that means putting it in my pocket.

Edit: got beaten on the Fabergé egg comparison somehow.

89 posted:

Preordering iPhones is the dumbest thing ever. Preorder it online and get it like 3-4 weeks late. I've been to 4 iPhone launches with my local AT&T stores and just got there an hour before opening and always got my new iPhone without problems. There's even donuts & coffee :dance:
The part that gets me are the people who aren't sure if they want the 6 or 6+, aren't sure if the 6+ will run slower or not, are wondering how much of a difference OIS will make, etc... and yet are still preordering. Wait for a chance to hold them or read actual user impressions before spending the money if you're not sure yet! They're iPhones, they'll be in stock.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 13, 2014

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
.....where else is a dude supposed to put his iPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Edge swipe gestures :eng101: (...except not all apps support it :argh:, but many many do)

The problem isn't the back button, it's whatever other stuff that apps put at the top. Or Notification Center :laugh:

89 posted:

.....where else is a dude supposed to put his iPhone?
It's meant to be used, so hold it in your hands 24/7.