Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

noirstronaut posted:

A Verizon iPhone 4 won't even work on AT&T's network, so, ya know.

Yeah, that's why I asked because the fine print says VVVVVV

Three Olives posted:

It just says iPhone 4, doesn't say AT&T iPhone 4, since it only applies if you sign a 2 year contract or get Next I assume they will take any iPhone 4 to keep get you to sign a contract just the same.

I did this on Friday with my iPhone 4 because my dad was buying a 5S, super easy no hassle (besides the hard sell to spend it right then on overpriced accessories). Keep in my the $200 can only spent with AT&T but you can pay your phone bill with it which is what I did with plenty of money left over.

Anyway, I, gonna try at some point & see if they take the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Please do this. This is really the biggest reason I have an iPhone. Being able to stop by an apple store and get a fresh phone is completely worth the price.
It's $180 to be able to stop at an Apple store and get a new phone or $300 if you don't have AppleCare. I'll take my chances.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Or $260 vs $600, if you're clumsy enough to put your phone in the toilet twice in two years.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We have this argument over and over again. If you're clumsy and do dumb things with your phone get AppleCare, but it's not "mandatory" because plenty of people aren't clumsy.

Knock wood, but I haven't dropped and broken a phone ever. Paying for AppleCare every year would lose me money.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Don't forget that if you plan to upgrade every other year AppleCare+ will net you a small premium when selling your phone at the one year/11 months mark.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can you get an AppleCare swap at 23 months if your battery capacity falls below 80% or something?

That's almost a guaranteed fresh phone in two years if you're not inclined to upgrade by then.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

eddiewalker posted:

Can you get an AppleCare swap at 23 months if your battery capacity falls below 80% or something?

That's almost a guaranteed fresh phone in two years if you're not inclined to upgrade by then.
Just "drop" it if you're really concerned about getting a fresh new phone.

This used to be worth it back when a swap was $50. Now that it's $80, ehh not so much.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Just "drop" it if you're really concerned about getting a fresh new phone.

This used to be worth it back when a swap was $50. Now that it's $80, ehh not so much.

If I drop it, that's an accident swap. Hardware failure doesn't have a deductible, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

eddiewalker posted:

If I drop it, that's an accident swap. Hardware failure doesn't have a deductible, right?

You are correct. The big thing with Applecare Plus is the accidental coverage but people tend to forget it also gives you a full two years of the regular warranty too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A new battery is $79 anyway, so even if they don't do it for free as hardware failure you don't have to intentionally damage your device.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Jose Oquendo posted:

You are correct. The big thing with Applecare Plus is the accidental coverage but people tend to forget it also gives you a full two years of the regular warranty too.

Yup. This is important also.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
For the Apple Recycling program - is this something that you can do in-store? And is this something that you could possibly do as you're going to pick up a new phone so that you can apply the gift card to said purchase?

I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to just recycle my Verizon iPhone 5 in great condition and just quickly recoup the cost of the iPhone 6, or if I should hold off and try to make a buck off it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since I updated my iPhone 5 to iOS8, I've had sporadic to nonexistent LTE service. That's not to say i don't have data. I just went from having LTE everywhere to having 3G everywhere. This is on a Verizon iPhone 5 in NYC. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
On the AppleCare+ discussion. Keep in mind that if you are using some credit cards (e.g. Amex) to buy your iPhone, you get an additional year of extended warranty thrown in for free by the CC company + usually some sort of accident protection (amex does 90 days).

Obviously it doesn't work as smooth as smooth as just showing up at an Apple store and getting your device swapped (you gotta file a claim with the CC company) but it can save you some bucks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Erinyes posted:

For the Apple Recycling program - is this something that you can do in-store? And is this something that you could possibly do as you're going to pick up a new phone so that you can apply the gift card to said purchase?

Maybe? They just finally rolled out full-blown in-store recycling back in April, but any mention of it is curiously absent from Apple's recycling pages. That would be an incredibly short rollout if it's already been axed.

I'd either give the store a call or pop in and ask them.

beanieson posted:

Anyway, I, gonna try at some point & see if they take the phone.

Straight from AT&T:

For a limited time, trade in an eligible iPhone from any carrier and get:
  • $300 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 5s
  • $200 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 4, 4s, 5 or 5c

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 14, 2014

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey guys, not sure if this is the best thread to post this, but I'm having a weird issue between my iPhone and wireless. I just moved into a new apartment, and whenever I try to send a text through iMessage using wireless, the message shows briefly as "not delivered" before trying again and being delivered successfully. However, this requires me to turn off "Send as SMS", otherwise the phone will try once through iMessage, fail, then deliver through text rather than using iMessage. Same problem is happening on my iPad, no idea what's causing it. Anyone know of any common modem/router settings to change that might be causing this issue or can alleviate it? I'm on Optimum Online if that makes a difference.

Edit: Seems to be happening even if I'm off the wireless network. Tried using my mother's phone and it had the issue momentarily as well. Perhaps it's some sort of network wide thing in NYC? Anyone been experiencing something similar? I noticed that my phone started acting up yesterday after reinstalling Mavericks on my laptop so I thought it might be tied in with some sort of Apple ID issue, but I remember a friend having some weird problems with her phone as well. It's not really a very serious issue, but it's a little frustrating and confusing.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Molten Llama posted:

Straight from AT&T:

For a limited time, trade in an eligible iPhone from any carrier and get:
  • $300 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 5s
  • $200 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 4, 4s, 5 or 5c

That only counts if you buy a new phone from AT&T and activate it. It's still an incredibly deal if you or someone you know intends on signing up with AT&T or buying a new AT&T phone but it doesn't help you much if you don't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The ATT trade in is a $200 trade in for the 4, 4S and 5 ($300 for the 5S), if you buy your phone on ATT.com or in store. Any preorders through ATT are locked in and guaranteed the trade in value regardless of phone delivery date. Promo ends Sept 30th (could be extended, who knows).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ozmodiar posted:

Siri stupidity

In case anyone else runs into the same problem, I fixed it:

Deleted the contact that Siri considered "me"

Deleted my wife's contact

Created a new "me" contact

Created two new contacts for my wife - one an exact duplicate of the one I deleted (with all the notes/contact data). One that is just her phone number.

Pointed Siri to the contact that has JUST the number.

I have no idea why it works, but it does. Very odd.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, so

I got a 4S to hold on to for a few days that was on Verizon. my friend upgraded his phone, however when i turned off Airplane Mode, it showed service. I took out the SIM card before even turning the thing on, but will my friend run into any issues as dar as calling, data, etc etc? Should I drive up to his house and try to get this fixed before it become an issue tomorrow?

edit: Also, is there a way to have the iPhone connect to a network that needs your password and just stay connected? For example, some networks have WEP, WPA, etc, but the school's network has a login that you sign into after you connect (custom web page for students and all that). Is there a way to log into that once and just be fine or do iPhones already do this? I know with my MBP, if I leave it alone for too long or close the lid, it'll disconnect (obviously) and ask me to reconnect upon opening.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 15, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Duckman2008 posted:

The ATT trade in is a $200 trade in for the 4, 4S and 5 ($300 for the 5S), if you buy your phone on ATT.com or in store. Any preorders through ATT are locked in and guaranteed the trade in value regardless of phone delivery date. Promo ends Sept 30th (could be extended, who knows).
$300 for any model 5S? Shiiiiit yes, I may not be selling this one on Craigslist after all.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

$300 for any model 5S? Shiiiiit yes, I may not be selling this one on Craigslist after all.

How is that better than craigslist where they sell for 400 to 500?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Because they usually don't really sell for that much unless you come across some sap who can unlock phones for free and will flip it for profit.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Because they usually don't really sell for that much unless you come across some sap who can unlock phones for free and will flip it for profit.

I mean I wouldn't think its hard to CL off a 16 gig one for 350 or more. A 32 gig one should easily get 400.. 300 seems like a flat out ripoff

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Because I doubt I could offload my 16GB version for that much, but I'll try!

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Erinyes posted:

I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to just recycle my Verizon iPhone 5 in great condition and just quickly recoup the cost of the iPhone 6, or if I should hold off and try to make a buck off it.

That's the idea behind the program, that you're getting a gift card that you immediately use for a new phone. If you order for in-store pickup, you get the gift card after the fact, to hold onto for later or to use for AppleCare or whatever. The online recycling programs are different from the in-store iPhone/iPad one.

You literally cannot go into the store and recycle your phone without buying or picking up a new one. I saw a few people say that they were planning this, so, welp, sorry

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I have a launch Verizon 4 and am pretty amazed I'll be able to trade it in for $200. I don't store much local music and do most listening through Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, etc. so I'm considering staying at 16g unless app sizes are really going to balloon over the next couple years.

I've seen mentions here and the pre-order thread that it's now cheaper/smarter to buy a non-contract phone. Could someone fill me in on how that works? Are there plans available now that don't have the phone subsidy built in?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So the face sensor on my iPhone 5s isn't functioning correctly and I keep muting the phone with my face while talking with clients. Is this something the Apple Store fixes or just replaces the phone?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Because I doubt I could offload my 16GB version for that much, but I'll try!
You're undervaluing how much unlocked iPhones go for.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Well multiple outlets are reporting now that the 6+ will have 2GB of RAM, so that's nice. Maybe they are full of poo poo and this is echochamber stuff? It seems pretty reasonable.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
When does the ban on product reviews end? The 17th?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

When does the ban on product reviews end? The 17th?
Who knows? Probably Tuesday night.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

noirstronaut posted:

The 16-64-128 thing makes a lot of sense to me.

Like, if you buy the 16GB, that's the "cheap" model yet still in the size you want.
So make the models go 32-64-128, since memory is cheap. I've got a 16gb 4s now, and I've got about 2gb free - enough to tape the police beating someone for 3-4 minutes if I had to, but not much more. Doubling that space would be plenty for me. Which, duh, Apple's not dumb - I think there are a lot of people in my position, and they know it. I think by the time the 7 comes out, though, they're gonna have to dump the 16 and make 32 the base model. Or maybe 64, so they can up the price. Apps are getting bigger, better connections make us download more...I'd say the days of a useable 16gb phone are probably numbered.

It's nothing worth crying over, in my opinion - if you just backup your photos (I'm a terrible pack rat when it comes to photos, they're by far the biggest chunk of storage lost since I bought iTunes Match) it's completely doable to keep a phone well under 16gb. Not that I plan to anymore - gently caress having to delete poo poo off my phone just to have enough space to run an update. But I see where the frustration comes from.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jackpot posted:

So make the models go 32-64-128, since memory is cheap. I've got a 16gb 4s now, and I've got about 2gb free - enough to tape the police beating someone for 3-4 minutes if I had to, but not much more. Doubling that space would be plenty for me. Which, duh, Apple's not dumb - I think there are a lot of people in my position, and they know it. I think by the time the 7 comes out, though, they're gonna have to dump the 16 and make 32 the base model. Or maybe 64, so they can up the price. Apps are getting bigger, better connections make us download more...I'd say the days of a useable 16gb phone are probably numbered.

It's nothing worth crying over, in my opinion - if you just backup your photos (I'm a terrible pack rat when it comes to photos, they're by far the biggest chunk of storage lost since I bought iTunes Match) it's completely doable to keep a phone well under 16gb. Not that I plan to anymore - gently caress having to delete poo poo off my phone just to have enough space to run an update. But I see where the frustration comes from.

It's harder to market a 32 as a "cheaper" option (not literally, I guess. More marketing-wise) when the next is double that and so on and so forth. It just seems like it's taking the place of the C line and for people who might want to utilize the cloud. I have/had a 16GB 5S and couldn't do much of anything after awhile, but that's mostly where my line of thinking comes from.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Well multiple outlets are reporting now that the 6+ will have 2GB of RAM, so that's nice. Maybe they are full of poo poo and this is echochamber stuff? It seems pretty reasonable.

That would be disappointing...I went for the 6 because I assumed that the hardware (other than OIS which I don't care about much) was identical to the 6+...

Although i haven't seen any concrete evidence that would confirm the 2GB memory rating, it could be just sites parroting each other...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man it's hard to resist that offer of the AT&T Next upgrade.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

On the iPhone 5 launch day I was able to hit up an ATT store in Manhattan a few hours before opening and snagged one no problem. There were about 10 people ahead of me in line and way more people behind me. Now I live in a more remote area of NYC so stock will undoubtedly be lower but there will be less people in line so I think I'll be good heading over Thursday night/Friday morning. By comparison, and this is years ago I'm talking, I snagged a Nintendo Wii on day one being only the second one in line at a local Kmart (I know I know) about 30 minutes before the store opened.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the root cause of the 5/5s loose screen problem usually a swelled-up battery?

Got a 5s with crap battery life, and then I notice the screen's popped out in the top left corner. Just wondering if this is something the genius bar will try to give me pushback on ('you probably dropped it'), or if they'll say "oh poo poo that'll explode in your hand or burn your house down, so let's just swap you right away."

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

jackpot posted:

So make the models go 32-64-128, since memory is cheap.

The nerve of them getting rid of 32 GB and offering 64 at the same price. They should just sell everything at cost!

So the incentive to get more space is extra high this time. The reason I never get the base model isn't so much that I really need all the space, I just don't enjoy having to manage the space every week or so. I had to do that maybe twice on the 5S with 64 GB. And if I suddenly need major amounts of space, I can just jettison some space-hogging games or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
16gb extra storage on the base model would be a few dollars for Apple. You can go ahead and say "they're not running a charity :smug:" but the fact is that the base model is really limiting unless you do everything on the cloud and janitor your phone. It's just plain dumb and if I upgrade I'm definitely swinging the extra for 64gb.