Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It's brilliant price positioning, really. What's funny is there were all the rumors of them increasing the price of the iPhones this year, and then the collective sigh of relief that it didn't happen.

Except, of course, it totally did. The 16GB model makes even less sense now than it did a year ago, doubly so considering now $100 more gets you 64GB. Meanwhile going to 64GB from 32GB probably didn't hit their margin much at all given the forward march of technology.

So they still have a 16GB model for the super price sensitive, but for everyone else, they've made sure you'll spend that extra C-note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
And it's gonna work because I can't deal with another 16GB phone. It's bullshit, but I'm too much of an iPhone fan to not go for it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fleshweasel posted:

16gb extra storage on the base model would be a few dollars for Apple. You can go ahead and say "they're not running a charity :smug:" but the fact is that the base model is really limiting unless you do everything on the cloud and janitor your phone. It's just plain dumb and if I upgrade I'm definitely swinging the extra for 64gb.

The bigger display on the 6 plus probably also doesn't cost them $100 more. I agree about the base model being limited, but people who can pay their phone bills can afford $100 for more storage over the 1 or 2 years that they keep that phone. It's nothing compared to the phone bills over that time.

kitten smoothie posted:

So they still have a 16GB model for the super price sensitive, but for everyone else, they've made sure you'll spend that extra C-note.

Honestly, I doubt there would have been this much whining if they had just staid with the previous 16/32/64 pricing and added on 128 for an extra $100.

So they're making money. Good for them.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's loving 2014, killing the 32gb instead of making it the baseline model and keeping the 16gb was a dick move, "Apple's not running a charity" or not.

Were it 2012 or even last year I'd have cut them some slack but come on, it's like the loving 8th iteration of a yearly model.

I don't even use the 16gb, I've always got the 64gb but it bothers me that they did this on their "luxury phone".

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

loving dick loving

Not in my loving 2014! I demand that my luxury articles follow my pre-ordained pricing pattern! loving poo poo!

What if some of the other parts that nobody thinks of went down in cost? That'd be a oval office move!

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 15, 2014

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I don't understand the outrage on the storage. I was getting the 64GB model before the announcement, and now I am getting the 128GB for the same price I would have paid. 64GB for free, whats the problem?

Yea being saddled with a 16GB iPhone sucks, but then don't buy it. Problem Solved. 100 bucks more gets you a real storage option as opposed to the 32GB half measure of previous years.
If 100 bucks is that much of a deal breaker then people need to reconsider whether or not they can afford a smartphone and 60-80 bucks a month for a plan.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't know what the big deal about Apple offering the 16GB is. 16GB costs the same as it did last year, if you would've gotten the 32, you now get 64 for the same price. This has to be the worst of all first world problems.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

noirstronaut posted:

This has to be the worst of all first world problems.

That or the U2 album mini-controversy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

noirstronaut posted:

I don't know what the big deal about Apple offering the 16GB is. 16GB costs the same as it did last year, if you would've gotten the 32, you now get 64 for the same price. This has to be the worst of all first world problems.

Probably the part about that being how much it costs last year. And the year before.

If they can magically afford to move to 64gb for a $100 more then it's quite obvious they could have afforded to do 32 instead of 16.

It's a move done out of greed rather than customer focus. They make enough profit where they shouldn't have to resort to poo poo like this which will inadvertently end up turning away customers who buy the 16gb model, fill it full of poo poo and then not understand why they're having problems. And you could argue that they shouldn't be mad when someone explains to them they needed to get a bigger size and why but they will. People expect when they pay X dollars for something that it works worry free. They will also probably be informed by someone that had they used Android they could have just popped in more space as needed.

It's going to end up as an annoying Samsung or Microsoft commercial. They understand how loving dumb people are.

Don't make phones that shoot 240fps 1080p video and whatever huge MP option they're at today and never increase the capacity to store it on the phone.

The change impacts me positively because I've bought 64GB since the 4S and now it will be cheaper but I'm not goony enough to think most people know better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

The change impacts me positively because I've bought 64GB since the 4S and now it will be cheaper but I'm not goony enough to think most people know better.

It's pretty drat goony though when you try to become Apple's business analyst.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The Dave posted:

It's pretty drat goony though when you try to become Apple's business analyst.

Trying to explain why it's dumb to people who "don't understand" it's not as if gave the explanation unprompted.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I had a 4 and 5 at 16gb each time. Yeah I had to play clean up here and there over the last four years but it was manageable. If they had the same configurations/prices this year I would have probably gone 16gb again.

Now that $100 is getting me 4x storage instead of 2x I will pay it this time. If the base model was 32gb I wouldn't have shelled out for more. That's exactly why Apple went with this model, to get the baseline buyers to figure "might as well" on the next tier device. It's kinda lovely yeah but they're a for profit company whatever I get it. It's just comical that they spout a lot of poo poo about doing everything better for the customer when it's just obviously not the case.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Piquai Souban posted:

That or the U2 album mini-controversy.

Who tf is U2?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

Probably the part about that being how much it costs last year. And the year before.

If they can magically afford to move to 64gb for a $100 more then it's quite obvious they could have afforded to do 32 instead of 16.
They didn't magically afford to do that. They did it to draw people away from the 16GB model. Remember, the 16GB outsells all other sizes combined. It's not a matter of being poor. It's a matter of us goonspergs not at all representing the average iPhone user.

quote:

It's a move done out of greed rather than customer focus. They make enough profit where they shouldn't have to resort to poo poo like this which will inadvertently end up turning away customers who buy the 16gb model, fill it full of poo poo and then not understand why they're having problems. And you could argue that they shouldn't be mad when someone explains to them they needed to get a bigger size and why but they will. People expect when they pay X dollars for something that it works worry free. They will also probably be informed by someone that had they used Android they could have just popped in more space as needed.
Again, we're not very representative. The average smartphone user, if they have an older Android, did not know they could upgrade storage. And it's a moot point now since new Androids have gotten rid of expandable memory.

People understand their phone running out of storage and needing to delete things. They don't understand dynamic storage and file management. If it was SO important, a feature that Android fanboys point out they and everyone should want because why would anyone NOT want file directory access to their smartphone bc obviously it should function like a PC, then nobody would buy iPhones.

quote:

Don't make phones that shoot 240fps 1080p video and whatever huge MP option they're at today and never increase the capacity to store it on the phone.

Okay, let me speak as someone who has always bought the $200 entry model. I went with the 16GB iPhone 6 specifically because it's not a "whatever huge MP option" but actually the same MP as the iPhone 5/5S. I don't keep music on my iPhone, maybe a few Podcasts, I have around 200 apps, and I take a lot of pics/video of my cats. I currently and usually have between 4-5GB free, though I do regularly offload photos/vids to my computer, which I assume most people don't. That said, the average smartphone user won't be taking much, if any 240fps video.

Would I have liked 32GB as the base model? Sure. But I understand why Apple increased the storage of their $300 and $400 options, and it doesn't affect me since, as far as resale value goes, a premium generally only exists for the highest storage model.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 15, 2014

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I wonder how many Genius appointments were booked just to get this off of people's phones.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ShoogaSlim posted:

I wonder how many Genius appointments were booked just to get this off of people's phones.

I'm honestly kinda wondering why they did it. I mean give it away for free, okay, but force it into people's libraries like that is kinda rude, and not really a good move imo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Personally, I just need 32 GB. I was hoping Apple would increase the base model, so I could spend $100 less. They did not. That's a minor annoyance.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm honestly kinda wondering why they did it. I mean give it away for free, okay, but force it into people's libraries like that is kinda rude, and not really a good move imo.

Maybe they get to actually book every iTunes user as a sale this way.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

the kawaiiest posted:

Well, if you were living your life the Apple Way it'd just appear in your iTunes Match results ready to be streamed, not auto download and the like.

I don't mind it, but I keep every song I own in iTunes, don't have auto download turned on for devices that aren't on iTunes Match and am old enough to remember when U2 was relevant.

If they made it a "click here for free album" I suspect they wouldn't like the take rate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

A little intrusive, but it's not actually downloaded onto the phone. It's just "purchased" to your account.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

smackfu posted:

Personally, I just need 32 GB. I was hoping Apple would increase the base model, so I could spend $100 less. They did not. That's a minor annoyance.

Well, congratulations because Apple is now giving you twice the storage for what would have been the cost of the 32gb model! :toot:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

fordan posted:

Well, if you were living your life the Apple Way it'd just appear in your iTunes Match results ready to be streamed, not auto download and the like.

I actually do have iTunes Match, but my point is that it should have been optional, just give us a code or something and we can get it if we want it. I've already hidden it now but a lot of people don't know how to do it and are pretty annoyed/confused.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
When I went in to the Verizon store to pre order my 6, the 16GB in all colors had already slipped 2+ weeks -- everything else was still available. Obviously the average consumer doesn't give a crap about the storage increase on the other models, but folks with too much time on their hands like to feed into the perpetual outrage machine.

See also: bitching about the U2 album. I guarantee that 99% of iPhone users don't care as they're not obsessing over every detail of their cell phone.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

When I went in to the Verizon store to pre order my 6, the 16GB in all colors had already slipped 2+ weeks -- everything else was still available. Obviously the average consumer doesn't give a crap about the storage increase on the other models, but folks with too much time on their hands like to feed into the perpetual outrage machine.

See also: bitching about the U2 album. I guarantee that 99% of iPhone users don't care as they're not obsessing over every detail of their cell phone.

They have forced me to break my steadfast rule of having nothing post 1990 by U2 on my phone temporarily. And for this, they must be admonished.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Well, congratulations because Apple is now giving you twice the storage for what would have been the cost of the 32gb model! :toot:
Yeah, this is how I'm looking at it. I was going to get more than 16 GB, so I was hoping they'd increase the base storage, but I'm not going to complain about getting 64 GB instead.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Suqit posted:

They have forced me to break my steadfast rule of having nothing post 1990 by U2 on my phone temporarily. And for this, they must be admonished.

Minor derail, but have you listened to it? It's no masterpiece but it's very good, IMO.

(Also not having Achtung Baby on your phone is fightin words, sir)

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Josh Lyman posted:

They didn't magically afford to do that. They did it to draw people away from the 16GB model. Remember, the 16GB outsells all other sizes combined. It's not a matter of being poor. It's a matter of us goonspergs not at all representing the average iPhone user.

Again, we're not very representative. The average smartphone user, if they have an older Android, did not know they could upgrade storage. And it's a moot point now since new Androids have gotten rid of expandable memory.

People understand their phone running out of storage and needing to delete things. They don't understand dynamic storage and file management. If it was SO important, a feature that Android fanboys point out they and everyone should want because why would anyone NOT want file directory access to their smartphone bc obviously it should function like a PC, then nobody would buy iPhones.

Okay, let me speak as someone who has always bought the $200 entry model. I went with the 16GB iPhone 6 specifically because it's not a "whatever huge MP option" but actually the same MP as the iPhone 5/5S. I don't keep music on my iPhone, maybe a few Podcasts, I have around 200 apps, and I take a lot of pics/video of my cats. I currently and usually have between 4-5GB free, though I do regularly offload photos/vids to my computer, which I assume most people don't. That said, the average smartphone user won't be taking much, if any 240fps video.

Would I have liked 32GB as the base model? Sure. But I understand why Apple increased the storage of their $300 and $400 options, and it doesn't affect me since, as far as resale value goes, a premium generally only exists for the highest storage model.

I would have liked to have 32GB on the base model just for comforts sake, I almost sprang for the 64GB version but since I'm sitting at 4-5GB free on my 16 now, I'm just going to stay with 16 this time. I could stand to backup some old rear end photos onto my computer too.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People do care about their music libraries and this really did annoy a lot of people, because it just showed up for them when they went to "music". A lot of people thought someone had hacked their iTunes account because it showed up as "purchased" for them. Not everyone watches the Apple events and so they had no idea this was coming. They knew about the "iCloud hack" though and they freaked out because "HOW DID THIS GET ON MY PHONE????"

It was just not a good move to do it that way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://time.com/3377972/why-apple-didnt-use-sapphire-iphone-screens/

It still baffles me that so many people jumped on the "sapphire is the ultimate screen material" bandwagon, when anyone who paid attention in high school chemistry could be able to tell you otherwise.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

flavor posted:

The nerve of them getting rid of 32 GB and offering 64 at the same price. They should just sell everything at cost!
All anyone's saying, without any outrage or hysteria, is that it likely would have been trivial, as far as a company like Apple is concerned, to make the base model 32gb instead of 16gb. It's true that for $100 more you can get tons more space, but it would've been nice to save $100 and have enough space. We understand that they've done the math and that this way will make them X more dollars, it's just an "it would've been nice" kind of situation. No one's saying anything stupid like "They should just sell everything at cost!" because that's stupid.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

It still baffles me that so many people jumped on the "sapphire is the ultimate screen material" bandwagon, when anyone who paid attention in high school chemistry could be able to tell you otherwise.

Did that really baffle you?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So help me understand what to expect of my iPhone SixPlus™ coming from a 5.

On day 1, things will be bigger on a bigger screen, but will non-native apps have aspect issues until updated by devs? Will there be black bars like the move from the 4 to the 5?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Remulak posted:

Did that really baffle you?
You're right, bad choice of words. It annoys and frustrates me.

People are dumb. Jesus, even journalists are dumb.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Feenix posted:

So help me understand what to expect of my iPhone SixPlus™ coming from a 5.

On day 1, things will be bigger on a bigger screen, but will non-native apps have aspect issues until updated by devs? Will there be black bars like the move from the 4 to the 5?

No, aspect ratio is the same. There will probably be a loss of quality in scaled apps on the higher resolution screen, but no one will know how bad until the reviews come out and then later when the phones are available.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought Sapphire was just a brand name of a new advanced material.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

No, aspect ratio is the same. There will probably be a loss of quality in scaled apps on the higher resolution screen, but no one will know how bad until the reviews come out and then later when the phones are available.

So all existing apps will fill screen out of the gate. Because of increase in size, may not look as crisp. Possibly resolved in future update (up to each dev) to take advantage of new resolution option.

Understood. Thanks! :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Apple opened submissions for iOS 8 compatible apps a few days ago, I think. So you can probably expect most of the high profile apps on the store to be ready on release day, or within the coming weeks if they couldn't get it done.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

kitten smoothie posted:

Is the root cause of the 5/5s loose screen problem usually a swelled-up battery?

Got a 5s with crap battery life, and then I notice the screen's popped out in the top left corner. Just wondering if this is something the genius bar will try to give me pushback on ('you probably dropped it'), or if they'll say "oh poo poo that'll explode in your hand or burn your house down, so let's just swap you right away."

I took mine in the other day with the same problem and they said, "Oh, hey yeah we need to swap the screen. It takes about an hour and a half, do you have the time?"

I told them to get hosed. I'll just do a cross swap via a chat session or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I was going to say "I can't believe that people actually think that 16GB is insufficient for a vast majority of iPhone users" but this is from the same people who were probably like "2GB of RAM or I'll pass".

I was also going to say "Do you understand that you're not even close to the average user?" but that is repeated over and over to these type of people and they never listen so what would be different this time?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

jackpot posted:

All anyone's saying,
No one's saying anything stupid

I fully agree. I'm actually still evaluating additional non-stupid things to say that are in line with yours. So far I've come up with the fact that cases should be free, because Apple could surely afford that. Additionally, apps should also be free, because they're just copies of a file each.

I think it's time to call this a "-gate", because that's what original people do on the internet if something's fishy. Storage-gate.

Mahoning posted:

I was going to say "I can't believe that people actually think that 16GB is insufficient for a vast majority of iPhone users" but this is from the same people who were probably like "2GB of RAM or I'll pass".

I was also going to say "Do you understand that you're not even close to the average user?" but that is repeated over and over to these type of people and they never listen so what would be different this time?

Buddy, you can't tell me that the 128 GB I'm getting is not average because I know what's up. Also, if the forums say that gold is tacky and nobody would get that, then there's no two ways about it. It's not popular with my friends either, and those are all regular people. Also, most people will show up at the store on Friday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

jackpot posted:

All anyone's saying, without any outrage or hysteria, is that it likely would have been trivial, as far as a company like Apple is concerned, to make the base model 32gb instead of 16gb. It's true that for $100 more you can get tons more space, but it would've been nice to save $100 and have enough space. We understand that they've done the math and that this way will make them X more dollars, it's just an "it would've been nice" kind of situation. No one's saying anything stupid like "They should just sell everything at cost!" because that's stupid.

They would've gone with base 32gb model, but then they decided that paying 100 million to U2 was a better idea

flavor posted:

Not in my loving 2014! I demand that my luxury articles follow my pre-ordained pricing pattern! loving poo poo!

What if some of the other parts that nobody thinks of went down in cost? That'd be a oval office move!

My virgin ears! Not on the SA forums!