Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Suqit posted:

Apparently the 6+ is selling out faster than than the 6.

Now I'm not sure if this means they made a lot fewer or misjudged sales or what but it's interesting.

Wait until people realize you can't sit down or climb stairs with it in your front pocket. Its like the Note all over again - 2014 Apple style.

Welcome to the world of Stockholm syndrome folks. I recommend finding an institutionalized Android goon to help you through the stages of denial. We've all been there. Soon the 6+ will look too small and you will wonder what happened to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

I don't really get this line of reasoning because I have normal khaki pants and a 4.7" phone fits there with plenty of room (I expect a 5.5" one would be fine too).

I too, have some cherry picked trousers that fit large phones well. None of my jeans did, however.

You do wear jeans, don't you?

Bah, you guys will see. It's tradeoff city. The days of just putting the 6+ in your pocket and forgetting about it are gone. You are always fully aware of it because it's a cookie sheet in your jeggings. Can't wait on the CNBC reports of returns/aggravations about the 6+ for just being too big for skinnies and looming investor questions about Apple's decision to go big.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 13, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
First 6+ owner spotted:

Seriously, you guys are in for a treat. It's an unreasonable size that's been mocked incessantly on the other side.

Just a PSA. No :troll:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Apple's version of revolutionary just means incorporating tech that other people have tried to incorporate but have been unsuccessful at making it popular, i.e. NFC.

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is NFC overnight but it will still take many years to improve retailer adoption...especially small businesses.

Bringing in the masses will help, but it will still take years before NFC payments will be a commonly accepted thing.

Prepare for janky until 2017+... You will see.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Found this on reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcHlA46gB-4

"not a scratch - they are SO durable!"

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
http://swappa.com/listing/IDP533/view

Lower than I thought. Check back in a few days. It will be lower than retail!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you don't believe it then go to eBay right now and search for iPhone 6 Plus and see for yourself how much they're selling for. It's real and it's ridiculous.

Or just F5 on Swappa and get one for what ~retail + tax would be anyhow. 24 hrs after the launch, a 6+ (128gig ~~gold~~) went for $1,095. That would be about the same as buying outright after tax, etc. Of course you may have to angrily shake down the seller to change the price (in the comments, $1,045 WILL BUY INSTANTLY ONLY FOR THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES UP TO YOU). It's aggravating if you are selling, but works more often than you think as a buyer.

eBay buyers have some screws loose. They pay WAY too much. Only thing I can figure is iron-clad "we literally always side with the buyer" protection and eBay bucks? Not sure.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

My father passed away a couple weeks ago, and had an iPhone 4S running at least 8.0 on it at the time.
Would there be a way to remove the passcode through iTunes if I plugged it in to his computer? Or even another way to just break into it?

This exact scenario happened to me a year and a half ago. My father-in-law passed away and we could never get into his phone or back up. Unless you have the password you will never get into it, sorry.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like a good way to purposely brick your phone, bring it into the Apple store, play dumb and walk out with a brand-new one.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Is there a well known 'best place' to sell one's damaged iphones? Figured there would be an online store or something. I have a 5 with volume down button that doesn't work and some particles in the camera and it's just collecting dust.

Swappa boneyard

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Holy poo poo ios10 lets you delete a bunch of stock apps. A thousand blessings upon Tim.

Eh, they are still there. The icon is just hidden, which is enough for most people.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

baram. posted:

the adblock support they baked in to safari.

p.s. the best one is 1blocker.

I like AdGuard. You can ratchet ads the gently caress down and nothing gets through. On Facebook, click a link and immediately share to Safari.

Click revenue = $0. We win.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Biodome posted:

I heard the W1 chip in the Airpods gets locked to whichever Apple ID it gets synced to first so if you don't unpair them yourself, they are unusable if someone else finds them and tries to pair them. Pretty cool and will hopefully deter theft.

Nah, if someone's going to steal them, they will steal them, W1 trickery withstanding.

The real problem is store returns...when they re-sell them as open box, someone's going to be angry.

Or eBay/classifieds. Little Frankie is upset that they won't pair, Aunt Martha is confused, everyone's mad because the previous owner didn't unpair them.

But maybe thieves will have a conscience about them? We'll see.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

MrMPH posted:

Ill keep digging and appreciate the input.

Dig away. Fact is the phone is nothing more than a parts mule. Godspeed.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Gunder posted:

Did they ever fix the Bedtime feature in iOS? I remember that it would sometimes fail to sound the wake-up alarm for no reason at all, letting you sleep straight through your wake-up time. It was a fairly widely reported bug, and I'm wondering if it was ever fixed?

Not sure but when I used it (don't anymore since my wake times vary) I always set an alarm as a backup. Just didn't trust it, and I didn't know it had issues. Sounds like an alarming bug (ba-dum-tishh).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Violator posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a iPhone 7 Plus car mount? I'd like something simple and secure that I can preferably mount vertically between my vents. I'd also be open to one of those arm ones I would mount on the dash. I used to use a magnetic vent mount with my old non-Plus, but I want something that has a cradle now for the bigger phone. I trust SA a lot more than the probably fake reviews on Amazon.

I have two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Universal-Smartphone-Samsung-Motorola/dp/B00D4ABOZS

One in my car, the other in my travel bag (I am constantly in rental cars for work). It's a fantastic mount. It holds the phone super firm and in many cars (yours included) you can angle it so that the phone is in front of the vents, keeping it cool in the summer. I know people seem to love magnetic mounts, but I found them to be irritating (phone falling when you hit potholes, etc). People will say the mount I linked "sags" over time - I'm going on a year+ of daily use, no issues (iPhone 7+, so a large device).

Best $16 x 2 I've spent in a really long time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Anyone use the AirPods for exercise? How do they fare with sweat, and do they stay in while running?

Treadmill every night. They stay in, but feel like they will fall out. Never have yet.

I sweat, but not buckets. No issues.

Seems none of the "W1" headphones are great for heavy sweat. People complain about all of them, in some way.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Good news everyone:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-forced-fingerprinting-iphones-met-20170305-story.html

Feel free to continue plotting whatever it is you are plotting.

~Stay shady, goons~

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Whoever said that the iPhone automatically cleans up when you're low on storage is full of poo poo. Updating apps and now I have "zero KB" free.

Does the "attempt to rent a 4.5gig movie" trick still work? In the past, it would force gigs of cached poo poo to get wiped (in the hopes you were actually going to give Apple money).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Pivo posted:

Ugh that's not why. They have far better ways of getting money from you.

I'm just trying to help the guy. And yes, Apple does want your rental money no matter how many words you dump out.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Weedle posted:

You have sixty days.

You have 365 days

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/17/applecare-plus-iphone-one-year-to-purchase/

Edit: yeah, the post below is right. Macrumors reported on this then never followed up. The policy still appears to be 60 days post-purchase unless you cause a scene full of angry tears I guess.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 13, 2017

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have the GPMAA $7.99 grandfathered deal and an iPhone. I know Apple Music is better for the ecosystem and I have an AW2...so it kind of irks me that GPM will never be fully supported on the watch. Clicking the side button and swiping over the control screen is pretty great mid-run (Airpods) so at least that works.

I do, at times, wish I could just dump some music on the watch for running, but it's not worth giving up my $7.99 GPM/YouTube Red. Google's got me...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Glad you like it, but since we're talking Apple Music in case people don't know, Apple sells (at Best Buy and I assume others) a 12-month AM gift card for $100. So it takes a commitment but that's $8.33/mo.

Depending on how the taxes work out, it's basically the same as the $7.99 + tax I'm on. I have no beef with Apple Music, it's just I've forgotten how bad ads in YouTube suck and how annoying it is having audio pause when YouTube is put in the background it stops. Aggravating.

If Google every mucks with the grandfathered rate, I'll happily move over to Apple Music and buy a 3rd party YouTube app that skirts the ads/background restrictions (while the dev plays the API break/patch game).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Been using them for a bit and yeah these are fun. The real test will be running with them. If they actually stick and I can run with them I'll be pretty loving happy with the purchase.

I run with mine every day. Never fallen out once. Best purchase I've made in a very long time. I also love using them for phone calls when my hands are full or when I am busy doing other things.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mest0r posted:

Apple put a new support page up about fast charging the iPhone 8:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137

I think faster charging with the iPad charger has been true for the last few iterations, but never officially acknowledged by Apple.

So the Qi is gen 1, AKA slow charge.

It's really slow folks. Plop down at night? Sure. Expect a 40% increase in an hour on wireless charging? Nope, need the wireless fast charging spec for that. Or a USB-C PD wall wart and the USB-C --> lightning cable. Don't cheap out on the cable, give Apple your money for a real one.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

puppy party posted:

I’m sitting here looking at my old 7+ with full bars/cell signal and my new iPhone X activated yesterday with only 2 bars of service. What gives?

Bars are a convenience and don't tell the whole story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Apple won’t sell another iPhone since iOS 12 will keep ancient phones working ~perfectly~ for many more years.

Short AAPL!