Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never seen a gold iPhone in person before but it's the only one in stock still right now. Was there anyone else that was hesitant about the gold phone and ended up loving it? I've never seen one in person before and I don't have time to go see one at a store. I know this is all gonna depend on my own tastes but still.

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

My partner's employer gave him one and he hates it. I don't think it's too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

When I went in to the Verizon store to pre order my 6, the 16GB in all colors had already slipped 2+ weeks -- everything else was still available. Obviously the average consumer doesn't give a crap about the storage increase on the other models, but folks with too much time on their hands like to feed into the perpetual outrage machine.

See also: bitching about the U2 album. I guarantee that 99% of iPhone users don't care as they're not obsessing over every detail of their cell phone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I took mine in the other day with the same problem and they said, "Oh, hey yeah we need to swap the screen. It takes about an hour and a half, do you have the time?"

I told them to get hosed. I'll just do a cross swap via a chat session or something.

Yeah gently caress that dude for offering a service.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

Wait, he's right, you suck

In other news, supposedly the iPhone 6 bump is pretty noticeable and Apple is hiding it in ads?

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/09/10/u2-blew/

Sorry that wasn't it, that's a guy taking Apple over the coals for being tone dead about the U2 thing, here's the one complaining about the i6 bump deceptive photos on Apple's store
https://brooksreview.net/2014/09/the-bump/

Album-gate, storage-gate and now :siren:bump-gate:siren:?!

Get it together Apple :rolleye:

I mean I watched the keynote and noticed the camera. How is this A Thing?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I'm more concerned about battery life than anything else, it needs to last at least two days with moderate use.

Why 2 days?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Laserface posted:

Why would there ever be a need for a phone to have HDMI out?

Im imagining a business exec type plonking his phone on the table, connecting to a projector to play his spreadsheets and power points awkwardly until the battery ultimately fails and he just gets out his Dell laptop anyway.

I feel like at that time Android manufacturers were just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

Forgot it had mini HDMI. I clearly remember when it got gingerbread and became the buggiest poo poo phone around. I'm kind of grateful though because I held onto that phone until the iPhone came to Verizon and have had an iPhone ever since.

Same except an Incredible (which wasn't a terrible phone).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Also phonearena is reporting that the 6+ has 1GB of RAM, so that rumor was wrong.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apples-iPhone-6-Plus-phablet-also-comes-with-1-GB-of-RAM_id60741

:siren:RAM-gate!:siren:

(Coining it now.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Apple should not be putting out a crippled product. Period. "You don't have to buy it" is the most non-excuse excuse imaginable.

Except it isn't crippled by any substantive definition?

As far as I know, the 16GB models sold out first -- again. To me that suggests that it isn't "crippled" for the average consumer. The only people bitching about it seem to be phone spergs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kinda bummed that family sharing shares a single payment method. My partner and I like the idea of it, but we keep discretionary spending like music or apps separate from each other.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I feel like in general that maybe people should stop projecting their opinions about mobile devices on the entire population. The only purpose seems to be feeding the perpetual outrage machine.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DanManIt posted:

Hearing the people defending the 16GB model is always good for a laugh. How they don't see this as an upsell is beyond me.

Does it count as defending if said person doesn't have any strong opinions about their phone's storage capacity? Like just about everyone I know with a 16GB iPhone?

I mean I told my mom that Apple was oppressing her with a 16GB 5S and her response was "so?" -- does that mean she has successfully Defended Her Purchase?

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DanManIt posted:

I think the correct response is for us all to march on apple's headquarters. Please invite your mother.

That sounds like work, isn't there a change.org petition I can sign or a video on Upworthy to share on social media?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

Jesus loving Christ why would you let them get like that without replacing them!?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Uhh it's not hard to comprehend at all, just a little more inconvenient to navigate.

You click the photos app and it loads a giant list of every single photo on your phone ordered by date. Why would you have to explain that?

Uhh you've obviously never had to explain tech anything to someone aged 50+

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Owned.

It is 10pm here in mid-Michigan and there are already people sitting outside of the Verizon store near my house :stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

teacup posted:

I just upped from a 5 to a 6, loving it so far.

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

You get used to it after a while. I mean if you wake the phone with the home button, simply resting your finger on it will unlock the phone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Vegastar posted:

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M54LGBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My phone hasn't arrived yet, but the actual case-in-hand feels pretty good. Lightweight, thin, and under 10 bucks. It'll probably fall apart in 6 months, but for a basic filler until the market rounds out, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

It reminds me a lot of the Poetic Atmosphere that were pretty well recommended here for the 5.

That looks a lot like a poetic atmosphere so I'll probably consider ordering that.

Also trying to download apps right now is hilarious.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

64 gb space grey iPhone 6 picked up. Even bought a red leather case to have a bright phone like my development win phone.

The line in okc Apple Store was ridiculous for non reserved purchases. It took me five minutes, I bet it takes them most of the day to get through the line.

I'm going to pop into the Apple Store to get a red case tomorrow after class. Glad I'm not the only one who likes a bright phone :buddy:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does VoLTE use your data for the voice call?

I was wondering this as well. Also if the 5S supports it.

Looks like it does not!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The curved glass in my 6 almost makes text look fake like one a dummy display phone, at least with the Awful app. It's crazy.

Doesn't help that Awful is using blow up text.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CPFinnit posted:

Got my 6, love it. What's the best way to get rid of my Verizon 5 16gb? Gazelle seems the easiest, but 165$ doesn't seem like a lot.

Try Verizon. The money will be in a gift card but you can apply it to your account to pay your bill for a few months.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Are group texts buggy for anyone else?

Like I have a group of friends that have a group text going and it keeps forking off into different text threads it is weird as hell.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah I'm not so ok with the old person's keyboard.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Copying an image url dorsnt work anywhere. Neither does uploading images, ios 8 basically stopped me from sharing images forever

And nothing of value was lost.

In all seriousness though, there's an update being reviewed by Apple that I guess will fix some of the issues.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I actually had my iPhone 5S once alert me that it was too hot and was going to shut down. I can't imagine why they would remove that from the six. Likely it was a defective phone.

Same but I had set it on a dark surface in direct sunlight. Not the best idea ever I'm glad I didn't do any permanent damage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

To be fair, anyone with an iPhone in an armband looks kinda dumb.

Someone who has never set foot inside of a gym recently spotted.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Cool, so with iOS 8, I would be able to use Google Now as the default voice app instead of siri and have it do things like turn on timers, put events into my calendar, etc.?

NON STOP VERBAL DIARRHEA, EMERGING FROM MY KEYBOARD, FOREVER

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cortana?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Agronox posted:

I've used mobile phones "naked" for like a decade now but I'm going to get a case for my 6. I like it, but it feels like it has the perfect amount of slipperiness and size to go flying out of my hand at some inopportune time.

The leather cases feel and look nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DarkJC posted:

Apple's backup system is insanely good and why wouldn't you restore?

This constant "set it up as a new device" poo poo is getting to be as bad as advising people to close all their apps all the time.

It's a good way to clean up apps you never use off a phone. I guess you could take it personally though :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Gio posted:

I would rather have a thicker phone without a protruding camera. In terms of design I think it's bleh, and plus--having dealt with the HTC Evo for two years--it can get annoying.

I've never thought "my phone is too thick!" or "my phone is too heavy!" but I've certainly said "my phone is too big for my hand" and that is pretty much how I felt when I had the Evo.

Sounds like you the 5 is suiting your needs. A 5S might suit them better if you're looking for an upgrade :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

eames posted:

Looks like bendgate™ is a thing with the new iPhone 6 Plus.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785905

Some also reported that their regular iPhone 6s are bent from sitting down with the phone in the jeans pocket. I don’t have mine yet but I wonder if I should sell this one and buy a later one where this issue might be fixed (i.e. by machining a bit less material around the sim slot). :tinfoil:

The cadence of that post reminds me of the Onion's autistic reporter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

some idiot who cares way too much about cell phones posted:

Excuse me for saying, but this looks rigged.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I always thought there would be many 6 Pluses suffering from cracked screens due to people sitting with them in their pockets; something similar happened with my Handspring Visor in high school. But given the phone's materials and construction, bending seems like the logical result.

Bendgate will absolutely be a thing once some bored social media correspondent picks up on it.

Somewhere in Buzzfeed HQ one of their "reporters" is getting an erection and isn't quite sure why.

Yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

HortonNash posted:

Trying to work out how the phone was oriented in the pocket for it to bend that way, and I can't seem to, the bend looks like it would require the phone to be horizontal in the pocket whereas I could see it happening like that in a back pocket.

I could be just tired though.

I'd wager there's more to that story.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Killer Queen posted:

I'm glad there's a toggle for Reachability because it's terrrrrrrible. Whoever decided binding it to almost the same double tap motion as the multitasking screen should be shot on sight. It should have been some type of pinch gesture. I was accidentally enabling it every 15 minutes before I switched it off for good. What a laughable concept with the cheapest execution.

Number of times I've activated reachability when I didn't mean to: 0

I didn't think someone could mess up pressing a button twice yet here we are.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hey Siri is cool but it has a hard time figuring out what I'm saying on Michigan's lovely roads.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Maybe a finely crafted Samsung Galaxy Note 4 would be more up your alley, then.

I too wonder if that would suit his needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Quadrant tap the button to start playing my sick new EDM mix

The 2 hour one or the 24 hour one?