Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
On the AppleCare+ discussion. Keep in mind that if you are using some credit cards (e.g. Amex) to buy your iPhone, you get an additional year of extended warranty thrown in for free by the CC company + usually some sort of accident protection (amex does 90 days).

Obviously it doesn't work as smooth as smooth as just showing up at an Apple store and getting your device swapped (you gotta file a claim with the CC company) but it can save you some bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Well multiple outlets are reporting now that the 6+ will have 2GB of RAM, so that's nice. Maybe they are full of poo poo and this is echochamber stuff? It seems pretty reasonable.

That would be disappointing...I went for the 6 because I assumed that the hardware (other than OIS which I don't care about much) was identical to the 6+...

Although i haven't seen any concrete evidence that would confirm the 2GB memory rating, it could be just sites parroting each other...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

vyst posted:

The problem is it's not a watch, it's an accessory to an iphone. There's a difference.

They've stated repeatedly that the watch retains some functionality without being around an iPhone.

Cook said on Charlie Rose that you can (for example) stick music on it and listen via bluetooth while going on a run without lugging the phone with you (and the watch will keep tracking of your fitness stats in the meanwhile).

Also, Apple's releasing an API and seems to be handling the Watch in the same way they handled the iPhone once they realized the value of third party apps: Make a platform that looks good and works well at the basics, has smoothly working hardware (and fitness sensors in this case) and let third party developers come up with the killer apps. I have much higher hopes of the Apple Watch turning into a useful gadget than I do for Android Wear because the later has been around for a few months and still basically only functions like a notification proxy for your phone.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Except that it piggybacks off the iPhone GPS, so it's not very useful for fitness stats either.

The pedometer and heart rate monitor still works.

If you want to geolocate your run then you carry the drat phone in an arm band. It's not like gps enabled fitness trackers are all the rage...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress that. I don't see how people put up with this as a solution.

Because the magical device that incorporates a phone, a watch, a GPS tracker, IO for wired headphones and a battery that will a full day while fitting comfortably on your wrist hasn't been invented yet.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, AnandTech and Ars Technica are my preferred sites. It's a shame they don't seem to be as popular as Engadget and now The Verge.

ArsTechnica reviews are OK but a lot of their other content tends to be very click-baity...

AnandTech reviews are the best, super objective and editorialism kept to a minimum.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Are all iPhone 6 boxes supposed to be lacking the phone graphic from the top of the box? Mine just has the indentation.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Any ideas on how to get Continuity up and running between an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini (both on iOS8 obviously).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

yup. reachablity died for me yesterday

Just noticed that this happened on my 6 as well.

And toggling the setting does not seem to restore it. Restarting the phone seems to have fixed it.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 21, 2014

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Do you need to have active network connectivity (over cellular or Wifi) on your iPhone in order to pay via Apple Pay? More than a few of the places where I'd like to use Apple Pay at have crappy reception and no WiFi. On the other hand, I'm thinking that the implementation could be such that it doesn't require any connectivity on the part of the phone (when you add the card to the system the card provider just pushes the token generator which is stored locally on the device and can be executed independently).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Can I ask why you care why you can't use Apple Pay for apps on 5s when you can still use TouchID to use the card attached to your Apple account?

Because the 5s probably still lacks the tiny bits of silicon used to store the generator parameters and generate the single-use transaction tokens that are used in lieu of your credit card number when using Apple Pay.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Tried Apple Pay for the first time at Jack in the Box last night. I held my phone close to the sensor, the Touch ID thing came up. I scanned my fingerprint like 8 times and it said "cannot process payment" like 8 times before I just gave the dude my CC. Am I supposed to be doing anything other than just scanning my finger print?

You just hold it up to the sensor and authorize with Touch ID while in range of the sensor. Occasionally I have moved my phone while authorizing which will cause it to leave the sensor's range and the payment won't go through. Maybe that's what's happening in your case?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

Press the home button and it should enable the touch screen again. Don't kno why it happens but that sorts it for me.

This happens on literally every single capacitative touchscreen phone I have ever used from iPhone OG to iPhone 6 and a bunch of android devices. My theory is that the touch screen does some sort of self-calibration every time the phone is woken up which is messed up by resting a part of your anatomy on the screen at just the right time.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
The battery life on the 6+ blowing me away. Unplugged it at 10am, back home at 11pm and I'm at more than 50% battery life.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

withak posted:

It's weird that a phone comfortably making it through a day on a single charge is seen as an amazing technical accomplishment.

edit: My 5S uses about 30% per day.

My 5 would end up with 10% battery with a less intense use cycle so yeah it's pretty cool.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I've got an 5c and the camera keeps freezing every single time I try and use the back-facing camera. It either freezes entirely, or a solid purple line covers up 4/5ths of the screen and then it freezes, too. Is there a fix to this? Resetting the phone and closing the app doesn't fix this at all. I don't have a case over it. Phone has never been dropped. The camera is just non-functional. Should I take it to get repairs?

Sounds like a bad camera module (had similar symptoms on my 5 after a screen repair). Take it in.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Aged brown leather is a classic look, bright colors and white are just going to look like poo poo

Yeah I had a red leather case for my 5 and it was looking burgundy on the edges after about a years worth of use.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I used to be one of those "16GB of storage is good enough for me" people. Then I swapped my 16GB 6 with a 64GB 6+. Not having to juggle storage for apps, games and photos around makes the phone so much more useful.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

A strange question.

I have a 6. My mother wants a 6. We share a family plan. I got a 6 after my 5 broke and I had no choice but to get a 6 even though I wanted a 6 Plus a month ago.

Can she get a 6 Plus at the Apple Store and then she come back and we wipe both phones, turn off find my iPhone, and switch SIM cards? Without having to explain this to someone at the Apple Store because she can't handle that. I'm home for the holidays so we can do this.

This is all on ATT Next.

Phones are locked to a carrier, not a specific line. She can get the 6+, bring it home and you do the sim switching there...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I figured this, I just didn't know if there was some ATT Next blah blah that linked a phone to a particular number. It would be dumb were that the case, but this is a cell carrier we're talking about here.

Should be fine. Just FYI, if you bought your iPhone 6 between Nov. 1st and Dec. 25th, you're probably eligible for the extended return period that Apple's got (till Jan. 8) so at the end of the day you might be able to just return your 6 for a 6+ swap (http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund).

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The big problem I'm having with my iPhone over Android is pausing audio on the lock screen. On Android I can pause some audio (say, Pocket Casts) and when I return the phone from sleep, I can just click play on the lock screen regardless of how long the audio has been paused. On iPhone I constantly pause things for a minute or so, then when I click the top button there either aren't player controls or I see the player controls but they disappear immediately. HOW do I fix this? I need to constantly pause audio on my iPhone but its so annoying to me when I have to unlock the phone and either swipe up or go into my podcast app to start again.

Generally, you can control media playback from mission control (slide from bottom) even if the controls aren't visible directly on the lock screen.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Mission control is not in iOS but this is the correct answer.

Is control panel the official name?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

6+ is too big, don't do it. Unless you put it in a purse all day long.

The 6+ fits in regular jeans pockets just fine...can't vouch for how it feels if you wear those testicle-constricting super skinnies though...

For me it's also very useable one-handed for web browsing / navigating the UI...one-handed texting is tricky though...

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I just got a wallet case for the 6+.

I'm liking it.

What's happening to me?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

Just be careful next time you walk down the aisle selling fanny packs, ok?

I dunno if that's an issue...still fits in my non-hipster jeans pocket :haw:.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Link?

E; vvvv I'm actually a big DualPro fan too. Had it on my 5 for two years so I got two for my 6+. Ive got the lime one on right now and I'm selling the unopened black one over at SA mart, actually.

I considered the expensive stuff by Twelve South. I dismissed the surface pad mainly because it doesn't look like it offers much more than basic scratch protection to the screen. The BookBook looks really cool and i like the fact that the interior shell case detaches. However, it didn't have a magnetic clasp so i thought the front of the case would flop around a lot.

I ended up getting this: http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Verus-...e+iphone+6+plus

Decent amount of storage (3 credit cards, a few banknotes, insurance card + driver's license without looking too bulky) and it's got the double small style" magnetic clasps (aka not the 1.5 inch-long single one that just flaps around when the case is open). And it's $20.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 13, 2015

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Hey guys, I've got a problem on iPhone 6. Touch ID is not unlocking my phone when it should be.

Sometimes, when the phone is unlocked and I touch my thumb to the sensor/press the home button,, it goes to the passcode screen. After touching the sensor again, all 4 dots turn white indicating the finger has been verified, but the phone does not unlock. After trying it multiple times nothing changes, and when I finally type in my passcode, the phone unlocks without any issue. Though I have several touch ID related jailbroken apps, I have disabled them all with no result.

Any theories on what's happening or how to fix it? This happens pretty frequently. And no, it's not a situation where I haven't unlocked the phone for 48 hours or another case where Touch ID is not supposed to work. I think it happens most often when the phone is plugged in.

P.S. Unrelated, but I found in official Apple documentation that the fewer fingers you have enrolled, the faster touch ID will work. That seems to be the case, I deleted three other fingers to leave only both of my thumbs, and it's verifying about a half second faster every unlock.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5883 "With each additional finger that you enroll, it may take slightly longer for Touch ID to recognize your finger when you use it."

You're jail broken? Restore to stock and try again.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

The problem with cases like this is that you just can't use it one handed. You could fold it back with two hands or do some weird wrist twist to swing it back and catch it, but all in all, it's just not built for it.

I use my wallet case one-handed all the time...you just let the wallet/cover flap hang...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

GutBomb posted:

It's a huge phone on the first day of use. It's a normal phone every day after.

And it makes every other phone feel comically tiny after you get used it.