Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread:

So speaking of battery, how good is it now in modern smartphones, Android and Apple? If I were to drive around town, moving in and out of different tower ranges, but only having the screen on for an hour or less, can I expect multi-day standby times out of a Nexus 5 or an iPhone 5s? I've only had my Galaxy Nexus and right now with the same usage pattern it's dead by the end of a 12 hour day.

I've had days where I'd take it off charger (iPhone 5) in the morning and wouldn't use the phone at all except to turn the screen on to check time or check/delete incoming mails and at the end of the night it's probably around mid-60% or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

The first few generations actually looked nice after being worn but id be hesitant without a case nowadays...

Has anyone gone caseless?

All I use on my iPhones is a Bodyguardz carbon fiber "skin" on the back. I'm not sure how well that will hold up now with the curved edges, though.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
When does the ban on product reviews end? The 17th?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
They must have figured out some magic formula for OS efficiency.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is everyone who is scared of iTunes using Windows? I can't imagine not having a local, hardcopy backup of my information.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

nwin posted:

So I'm downloading the update via iTunes (only 18 hours remaining...), but I was a bit surprised to see I only have 1 gb of available storage.

I subscribe to iTunes match specifically so I don't have to store the music on my phone, but there's 5gb of music stored on my phone. Worse yet, I can't seem to be able to delete it. Any ideas? iPhone 5s using whatever iOS version prior to the update that came out today.

Podcasts?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I don't have iOS 8 yet as I'm jailbroken, but my mother is telling me that swiping all the way left on a mail is sending it to the trash immediately -- is there an option to turn this behavior off?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes this is a new feature.

Settings > Mail > Swipe Options

Alternatively enable Ask Before Deleting in the same area.

I told her to enable Ask Before Deleting and she claimed it still slid off to the left and removed it without a prompt. I was just hoping there was another way to disable it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

dutchbstrd posted:

Both of my iPhone lightening cables are totally hosed and actually start smoking when I plug them in. They're both 2 years old.

If I trek down to the Apple Store do you think they'll be replaced for free?

If you mention a fire hazard with any cable/charger they will always replace them in my experience.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
After seeing those cables I'm not so sure. They may attribute it to neglect or heavy handedness. The few chargers or cables I've had replaced were showing signs of heat-caused damage.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Anyone successfully had their iPhone 6 connect with an AT&T Microcell yet?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I can see someone doing this and having to explain why there is a re-download cloud next to Tinder, Grindr, et al.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Nklus posted:

I had to use the app to delete my number and re-add them, then restart your phone. If you number is the primary line on the cell, just delete someone else's and add it back, restart.

Thanks, I ended up doing this after my post and it worked fine here too.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
iPod shuffles were made for the gym. Not bringing my phone around heavy plates and sweat.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

CoasterMaster posted:

I remember in years past, there were tons of people on eBay selling grey-market iPhone unlocks (at least for AT&T-locked phones, they basically had friends that had access to AT&T/Apple's database and would just add your IMEI to the unlock list). I was able to unlock my 5S for about $10, but it looks like either eBay or AT&T (or both) came down and crushed those folks. Does this option still exist for the 6/6+?

I have seen at least two offering iPhone 6/6+ unlocking service but I'm not sure I'd throw my money at them to find out if possible just yet. One offers the service for around $150.

There are many which can do older models reliably but I'm not sure about the new models just yet.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

AOTKPTW posted:

I've got a 16GB 6 on the way which should be arriving tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned about how little space I'm going to have. I don't have loads of apps, and I use iTunes Match but I'm keen to use the camera a lot and I just know those slo-mo videos are going to fill the space up fast!

I've had a 16GB 4s since release and had no problems with space but on a few occassions I've had to delete all of the stored iTunes Match songs to free up a bit of space, not a problem but I was never particularly trigger happy with the camera before.

Does anybody know roughly how much space the videos take up per minute approximately?

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere it's like 200mb per minute. There's probably a more definitive answer out there.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

AOTKPTW posted:

At that rate I'll definetely need to swap for a 64GB I think.

I ordered online, am I able to reserve one online for instore pickup and do a swap paying the difference plus restocking fee (if applicable?). I'm in the UK if that matters. I'll give my local store a ring tomorrow but I'm working at the minute.

So I just did a test recording of one minute length at 60fps and it was 196mb, so it's just about right then.

I have no idea about trading up at the store, it probably depends on their stock..

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah I was a big boo-hoo'er of the camera, but now having one it's a non-issue really. Even flat on the table it doesn't rock or wobble at all.

On an unrelated note I need to stop checking the app store 80 times a day for new updates.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Who seriously uses their phone case-less while lying on flat surfaces enough for that to be a problem anyways?

It lies caseless on the desk next to my keyboard or while I work and study, so quite a bit of the day for me.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't ever mess with podcasts, and all of my album art is always still there when I restore.

See what PhoneClean can do for your "Other" first.

Mac Windows

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Put it in a Camelback.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Apple to replace bent iPhones

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People still jailbreak their phones?

Absolutely, there are quite a few great tweaks (not themes) I have come to rely on for everyday use. A lot of what Apple has integrated into the OS thus far has origins in jailbreak.

Unrelated: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/steve-ballmer-clippers-apple-ban-microsoft

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Long time case hater here, but after trying out the Spigen i6 Thin Fit case for a day now I'm really impressed. The extra thin profile of the new phones must help because this thing fits like a glove and there's barely any added bulk which used to drive me crazy. Looks pretty slick with black on both sides now, too.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Hadn't read about it before but looks like 8.1 might have some big Maps update.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/apple-developing-ios-8-1-8-2-8-3-in-shift-for-2015-launches/

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

dexter6 posted:

I'm selling my iPhone on craigslist and a buyer has asked for the IMEI. Should I be scared to give this out? I realize he probably wants to check if it's actually unlocked or if it's stolen, but I don't want him to be able to gently caress with me because of it.

Technically a person could do malicious things with it but that's rare I'd imagine. I'd just plug your IMEI into http://iphoneimei.info/ and give him a screenshot of the sanitized results.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Also, the part I bolded won't matter if you have a Mac and you're running Yosemite when that comes out. Continuity is supposed to let you send SMS from the desktop using your phone (finally!).

I used to do this on my Nokia back in like 2005. I forgot how useful it is and will be glad to have it back.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Jet Ready Go posted:

I have that wifi problem with my iPhone 6. I didn't upgrade the phone since I got it. Resetting network connections worked for a day....

Anyone else having this problem that have a good solve for it?

Seems pretty widespread and nothing I've tried has fixed it so I think we'll need to see a software update solution.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
iMessage not working for anyone else? Can't send on any devices through two different Apple IDs.

e: resolved

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 8, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone purchased an aftermarket 2.4a charger for their iPhone 6/6+ that seems to be reliable/quality?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I bought this one on 9/22 according to Amazon so I've had it for a few weeks now. Charges my 6 stupid fast. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it was one of the highest rated on Amazon so that's why I bought it.

Thank you, that looks like it will do the job.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I bought this one on 9/22 according to Amazon so I've had it for a few weeks now. Charges my 6 stupid fast. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it was one of the highest rated on Amazon so that's why I bought it.

Just to follow up on this. %60 in an hour with streaming music playing while I'm texting back and forth on it. This is a nice improvement.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8.1-download-links-for-iphone-and-ipad-released-direct-links/

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Avocados posted:

Phone is updated to 8.1. Still having trouble finding out how to send SMSs from Macbook to my phone. :(

I'm trying to figure this out as well.

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've been texting my mom, who has Android, ever since I updated. You need to enable it in Messages settings on your phone, then confirm the code on your Mac.

I don't see any specific setting for this on mine..

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding

I definitely don't have this option. weird.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do you have a Mac with Yosemite installed and signed into your iMessage account?

Yep. Gonna reboot Mac and see if that fixes it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

spongeworthy posted:

Yep. Gonna reboot Mac and see if that fixes it.

Reboot of Mac fixed it. Pretty nice but I'd still like an option to disallow notifications on the "other" device if one is shown as "active."

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Avocados posted:

Did the Mac reboot add the settings option on the iPhone? I can't imagine it would...but I restarted both my Mac and I hard rebooted my iPhone and nothing seemed to work.

I signed out of Messages on the Mac through the Preferences pane, rebooted, and signed back in. Then I checked the iPhone and the option was there.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe I removed it before, but I don't recall seeing this. In Notification Center there is a "Social" item you can enable to send Messages from the NC on the fly if you are signed in for SMS/iMessages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Biodome posted:

I don't see this? iPhone 5S, 8.1.

Sorry should have clarified, I meant on Yosemite's Notification Center