Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the 5/5s, the battery is along the left edge. So if the right side is popping out there is a chance it's not the battery.. I guess it just depends on random luck because the battery takes up almost half the width of the phone.

Obviously take it in but don't be surprised if it's not the battery. But if it is, woo-hoo, free replacement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, the new mac address randomizer is not playing nice with the network at work.

Who could have predicted that a random hardware address on a network that uses that information to place you into a guest or full access subnet would have issues? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus loving Christ why would you let them get like that without replacing them!?

If it's not literally causing a fire right this second, it doesn't matter. Cable still has some life in it.

Unless Apple will replace it for free, in which case new wires for everyone!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fordan posted:

And I'm pleased to announce our newest creation, iOS 9: Large Buttons edition!

Is Jitterbug still around? I bet they'd be all over an old folks iphone.

Just one app, a giant green phone handset icon on their one page springboard interface.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, gotta stand in line for hours to get a phone a little bit sooner!

A phone that will have dozens just sitting on the shelf in about a month.

Though I guess if they're upgrading from a 4S or something I could understand the excitement of being able to swap a brick for something sexy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I don't think those things even exist anymore. You're just supposed to use a needle/toothpick/whatever.

Apple store employees have one stashed in their little badges they wear.. solution, get hired at an Apple store, get your sim card remover, then quit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a chance to put my mitts on the 6 last night, it's definitely big but not OMG HUGE big. The advantages to the additional size outweigh the downsides.. bigger keyboard is better for big fingers, everyone loves more pixels, and the phone looks pretty darn good too.

Passes the pocket test too so that's also good.

Still happy with my 5, so all there is to do now is wait one more year for the even better 6. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope.. what worked for me was getting apple's old to new adapter that has a short cable (like 4 inches) on it. Their price for the adapter is absurd but it works, just lay the phone down next to the alarm clock.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you on wifi? Lots of people complaining about network performance when on wifi.. the awful thread is full of posts about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nickutz posted:

Bend-gazhi?

:rimshot:

Never been phone in the back pocket guy. The 6 is so thin too I barely notice it in my front pocket.

Bendocaust?

And yeah back pocket is a terrible place to put a phone. It just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My iPhone wear marks are on the right pocket. Put keys on the left, you can get into your car faster with the keys in your left hand. :colbert:

Unless you live in one of those wacky places where the steering wheel is on the right side.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the OG iPad came with a 2.1 amp charger, phones come with a 1.0 amp one (I think, I haven't personally inspected the iPhone 6 charger yet).

So yeah the phones will charge faster with more juice available.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey Siri is cool but it has a hard time figuring out what I'm saying on Michigan's lovely roads.

Use your captain kirk voice.. big pause between each word and enunciate each syllable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I won't be satisfied until the phone can actually read my mind and do the thing I want it to do without any interaction at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM&t=21s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least the screen doesn't break and that's what's really important, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously this means the 6S/6S+ is going to have a tungsten chassis, guaranteeing it will never bend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It wouldn't be a new iPhone if people weren't hand-wringing over some fatal flaw Apple built into the device.

People love to get mad about stupid poo poo!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

I imagine this is going to be a bad day for Apple code monkeys. :ohdear:

It's a good thing ghosts don't actually exist or Steve Jobs would be loving their poo poo up right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Samara posted:

Two people in my office with iPhone 6 completely bricked by the update.

"Completely" as in they can do literally nothing with it? Black screen and unresponsive?

Because after a couple reboots in a short amount of time, the phone is supposed to drop into recovery mode that demands you plug into a computer with iTunes to do a complete reset.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Here's a fun display of the evolution of the camera in iPhones:

http://snapsnapsnap.photos/how-does-the-iphone-6-camera-compare-to-previous-iphone-cameras/

The advances in the latest devices are a bit more subtle, but if you pixel peep the new stuff is clearly superior.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully Apple soon announces that every 6+ comes with a pair of relaxed fit Levi's.

Or maybe parachute pants will make a comeback with all those ridiculous pockets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I love all the stories coming out now about how law enforcement is all butthurt that they can't bully companies into giving up your personal data anymore.

It's even better considering how much pressure those same law enforcement organizations have been applying to cell phone makers to implement improved security features in an attempt to limit theft.

So they want just a little more security, but not too much!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like Apple has actually built a thigh simulator for testing phones:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/25/6845611/inside-apples-iphone-6-torture-building

Unfortunately I don't see a simulator for hip joints or tight jeans.

If Apple giving us a peak at their development labs is the result of bad PR, I'm all for more bad PR.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yeah you're not getting one for at least a month.

Is the "camp the apple website at 10pm for in store pickup" technique not working this year? Because even though it requires some effort it is effective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in here use the VPN feature? The iOS 8 hype suggested that once you established a VPN connection it would persist even after putting the phone to sleep for a while.

But this isn't happening for me.. every time I switch to cellular and back to wifi or turn the phone off for a few minutes, the VPN connection goes away and tosses up a dialog box saying the "connection was closed." As near as I can tell they found a way to make it even more annoying without improving the functionality at all.

Or maybe I just have something configured wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

No, it's still bad. I have 25GB's of 'Other' on my phone, and my music syncing is all f'd up. I have had to restore 3 times.

If you're doing a full restore, music that iTunes restores will show up as "other" until you sign into your iTunes account on the phone itself. Like, launch the iTunes Store app and actually log in.

I have no idea why this is, but it worked for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How many hours per week do you folks spend cleaning out your C:\Windows or /private/var folders? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

That makes sense. I don't have my microfiber cloth with me and I feel like my tshirt will just make it work so I didn't bother trying to wipe it.

You don't need to baby the screen. I went nearly 2 years of rubbing the face of my 5 on my jeans and it was still completely free of scratches. The phone was replaced for unrelated reasons so a couple months ago is when the "testing" ended.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Apple has already been working on something to replace the standard 1/8" headphone jack for a while.

What if they did it with magnets, sort of a play on their magsafe connecters. There's nothing but a little headphone jack shaped depression on the back of the phone. You lay the headphone jack against it and it snaps into place.. means standard headphone sets continue to work.

Well, mostly. I think almost all plugs are non-ferrous so they won't actually stick to a magnet.

Either way, hire me Tim. I'll do it for a million dollars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

I think the trouble is mainly that it's a verrrrry established connector with fantastic cross compatibility, etc. I guess you could always make an adapter, but...

Which is why my magnets idea is perfect!

If only it could actually work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also audio sounds a bit flat over bluetooth, even with the new high bandwidth option that they made to try and fix that problem.

I mean the audio is good enough and I use it daily, but when I swap to a wired connection there's a pretty noticeable difference. I like bluetooth audio, I just don't want it to be the only option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

japtor posted:

Whats the high bandwidth option? I know about aptX but Apple doesn't support it, it sounds like AAC is supported but I'm not sure how common it is.

Yeah, aptX is what I'm talking about.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that iStuff had a secret high quality option.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The better case would be for some networking genius figure out how to get a smartphone to transparently move an established connection to a different network interface, without huge timeouts and hangs.

Tech like this exists but I don't think it's ever made it to the point of being an OS level feature.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think the actual handoff takes almost any time at all (could be wrong, though). The problem is holding onto one or the other after it has become useless before finally switching.

Right, switching to the cellular interface is super fast. The issue is with established connections, as a completely different route (with a completely different ip address and subnet) is now available the software basically has to close the old one and establish a new one.. which generally requires a timeout to happen before it can figure out what to do.

If transitioning a connection from one interface to the other was smoother, they could lower the timeouts and the user might never notice the transition.

Unfortunately this isn't trivial with today's software, most of it is incapable of handling when one end of a connection suddenly starts using a completely different IP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, it's a phone carrier you're dealing with. Sneaking charges into your bill is kind of their MO.

Remember, AT&T is the company that only let you use one phone on their service and they charged rent for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Uh, you should only have to swipe up once.

It's super fidgety though, I usually have to swipe 2-3 times before it works. If there's a keyboard up it never works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I suppose I wouldn't be entirely averse to a "pillow" app if there's a good one that goons can recommend definitely helps with sleep?

"Definitely" is a hard requirement to satisfy, but I still use Sleep Cycle and it's a very nice alarm clock. To avoid waking up with the phone on the floor I stuff my phone under the sheets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have noticed the 5 just randomly does nothing for a second or two every once in a while when switching apps or opening tabs in safari. I can't decide if it's apps not being updated for 8 yet or aging hardware so I just ignore it.

But for the most part it feels as good as it did two years ago.. I guess 1GB of ram still being the high water mark is a good thing for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put my iPhone in a humidor during the winter, I heard low humidity will damage it. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, whenever I play a youtube video in the youtube app, the next time I press play from the lock screen it tries to play the audio from whatever video I had been watching. It didn't always do this, but an update over the summer created this behavior and I hate it. The only way I know of to get music playing again is to open the Music app and hit play, or ask Siri to play a playlist.

Is there a way to either make youtube stop doing this, or maybe a Siri command I can use to resume playing music where it last left off?