Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Choadmaster posted:

Hey everyone, once you have your phone out how about instead of just waving it near our (terribly high-maintenance!!) reader, you unlock it, launch our app, enter your PIN number, then take a photo of the QR code we give you!

An app that doesn't exist yet despite MCX being around for over 2 years.

I could see Best Buy caving; I have to think a larger-than-average percentage of their customers will be NFC-enabled. At least compared to Walmart. And they'll have to upgrade their POS systems to support chipped cards anyways, so the incremental cost to add NFC should be minimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Unless you originally bought it as a Verizon model, no. The CDMA MEID is only put in Verizon's whitelist if you bought it as a Verizon phone.

That shouldn't be the case, at least for the iPhone 5. It's a LTE device and thus should fall under the open access rules. Then again, so should the Nexus 7 and that was blocked last year.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Three Olives posted:

But Verizon doesn't have VoLTE completely deployed yet so it still needs CDMA access for voice at a minimum. My mom and sister have Verizon and when they were in town two weeks ago I saw their iPhones fall back to 3G several times for data, even in my dense urban neighborhood.

You're assuming they'll block access to CDMA and only allow access to LTE. I believe Verizon doesn't block CDMA if you have LTE, and I'm pretty sure Verizon moved the CDMA information to the SIM card as well. People who bought the Verizon unapproved Nexus 7 last year could pop a working SIM from another device into it and it just worked, including falling back to 3G from what I read.

kitten smoothie posted:

Open access only applies to LTE. They don't have to let you onto their CDMA network, meaning zero voice service and 3G.

At any rate, an A1428 iPhone 5 can't see LTE band 13, which is the only band of any of them that's subject to the open access. Of Verizon bands, it only pulls in band 4, which is what they use for AWS LTE "XLTE."

The wrong model iPhone with it lacking the Verizon bands is a bigger deal though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm honestly kinda wondering why they did it. I mean give it away for free, okay, but force it into people's libraries like that is kinda rude, and not really a good move imo.

Well, if you were living your life the Apple Way it'd just appear in your iTunes Match results ready to be streamed, not auto download and the like.

I don't mind it, but I keep every song I own in iTunes, don't have auto download turned on for devices that aren't on iTunes Match and am old enough to remember when U2 was relevant.

If they made it a "click here for free album" I suspect they wouldn't like the take rate.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Apple is apparently telling law enforcement to go pound sand to recover data off ios 8 now:

quote:

“On devices running iOS 8, your personal data such as photos, messages (including attachments), email, contacts, call history, iTunes content, notes, and reminders is placed under the protection of your passcode,” Apple said on its Web site. “Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data. So it’s not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

withak posted:

Yeah Apple seriously needs some elderly testers on staff if they are going make changes like this.

And I'm pleased to announce our newest creation, iOS 9: Large Buttons edition!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, if you're near a place where you could use the pass, it just shows up as a lock screen notification. Swiping it will immediately display the pass on-screen, without having to unlock. For example, if you're at the airport, it'll show you your boarding pass automatically.

Or when you're near your preferred Starbucks it can pop up on your lock screen. Passbook will show up on the lock screen based on location, time, or both. I know US Airways doesn't seem to both encoding the airport locations into their Passbook boarding passes so it just pops up as a notification that doesn't go away as the flight time approaches regardless of where I am.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Suqit posted:

There is this article too.

e: never mind that just sources the same article lol

Both of those articles are citing the same TechCrunch article. Part of TechCrunch's proof is that they didn't install Beats Music as a default iPhone app and they didn't show it on the Apple Watch. Yay tech journalism.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

saihttam posted:

So my text message sound is off when I'm in my car. Is this a phone setting somewhere or is it just how it works with bluetooth in cars?

Yeah, I suspect it's playing the alert to bluetooth audio and if you aren't listening to something from your phone it'll be ignored. The "correct" way for your car to handle it is to use the Bluetooth Message Access Profile to get notified about new messages and alert you, but not that many cars do that. Most only deal with audio playing and the hands free protocol for phone calls.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

tuyop posted:

They'll bring an NFC terminal or you'll have to use a card with a strip.

I'm assuming that bringing a terminal to the table is the future in the US (and the present in Europe/rest of world) since EMV with chipped cards are also coming*, although it seems like the US banks are opting for chip & sign vs chip & PIN which means they could still take your card and bring you the receipt to sign.

*Liability for fraud shifts from the banks to retailers in October 2015 if the retailer doesn't have terminals capable of using the EMV chipped cards.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

So apparently while Apple Pay worked just fine at CVS and Rite Aid in those stores that had NFC terminals, they've decided to disable it corporate wide. Because their Merchant Consumer Exchange solution is better than Apple Pay/NFC because it uses QR codes. And lets them track you and your information even without requiring shopper cards. Or at least it will be better when it's released sometime in 2015.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

japtor posted:

But the newer cards/readers are more secure too afaik. The big advantage is businesses not paying card fees (or needing newer terminals, although that's unrealistic I think), and they get more info from the customer. It's not like they're going to use the cost savings and pass them onto the consumer.

Unrealistic in that if they don't deploy terminals that support chipped cards, they take on fraud liability as of October 2015. So some large number of their stores will need new terminals anyway.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Sextro posted:

I'm locked to CVS since my, otherwise excellent, insurance uses CVS Caremark for prescriptions. I've not actually been given one in a few years though.

For long-term 90-day meds yes, but if it's like my Caremark plan you can use it at other pharmacies for 30-day or less scripts.

And now I'm talking about Apple Pay fallout issues in the iPhone thread again which SWSP asked us not to. Did someone say there was an Apple Pay thread set up by the guy working on it where this might be more appropriate?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Pappyland posted:

Looks like USAA added Pay support early.

:toot:

EDIT:

And Navy Federal/PNC

And Barclays as well since I just added my US Airways Mastercard. Although for some reason it wouldn't take my second US Airways Mastercard.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Actually chatted about CurrentC over lunch with buds today, and it unveiled another problem with their stupid scheme: they chose a name that sounds 100% generic when spoken aloud. It's impossible to use in a conversation because it always comes out like "currency." Which I understand was their intent, they thought they were being super clever, but they went overboard with the idea and created a term that will never be able to distinguish itself in a meaningful way

Well before Apple Pay they were safe because no one would have ever talked out loud about CurrentC.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

This will probably switch everyone from case chat to screen protector chat, but the biggest thing is won't protect is the screen, so the leather case and a glass screen protector would do pretty well. People have different opinions, but I don't notice the screen protector personally.

It'll protect against falls onto flat surfaces; that's what the slight lip on the front of the case extending past the glass is for. That was the whole of the protection offered by the iPhone 4's bumper case.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

flosofl posted:

Far be it from me to lionize they guy, but this 16GB poo poo would probably not have happened with Steve at the helm.

Steve would never steer us wrong.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Christoff posted:

Does that only work if the airline has an app?

I think the passbook push functionality only works if there's an app. US Airways sends mobile boarding passes via email with a link to click to add the boarding pass to Passbook via Safari not via their app and I've never had it push a gate change to Passbook. US also doesn't geofence their boarding passes, just uses time.

But I use Passbook fairly often. Biggest use is Starbucks card, then presale tickets for music events/nightclubs/shows and then boarding passes. Sometimes for my rewards cards like Walgreens or AMC theaters.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Bum the Sad posted:

The Amazon ones fall apart at about the same rate as Apple ones.

Not in my experience after two Amazon cables. Trying Anker now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

These are the literal best Lightning cables out there, and semi-cheap as well. The only downside is the connector piece you hold is fatter than the one on the Apple, so you have to be careful if your case covers the bottom of your phone.

They aren't. I'm sure you and others in the group have had great experiences but I've had two fall apart on me in less than 6 months. The Ankers I recently picked up seem pretty decent so far though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Delysid posted:

Argh, left my phone in my locker at work. This morning someone texted me an email address that I would really like to have right now. This person is not in my contacts and it was an iMessage so I can't grab their number from AT&T's usage and ask them for it again with my Google Voice or whatever.

I had my phone plugged in and on wifi for a while so I'm assuming my iCloud backup is fresh.

Are there any free/non-malwared-up tools out there that will grab backups from iCloud and extract SMS/iMessages? Everything I see out there is free for iTunes backups but they charge a premium for the iCloud feature.

Go back to work, get phone seems like the simplest answer. If you have other Apple stuff (Mac, iPad, other iPhone or iPod Touch) you can access all your iMessages from any of them once they're associated with your Apple ID.

Not 100% sure iMessages are stored in a backup since they're downloadable separately from iCloud.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Even if you're not a current customer, as long as you've finished your contract and don't owe money pretty much all the carriers will unlock phones for you as of Feb 2015 as part of CITA's "Consumer Code for Wireless Service." http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/cell-phone-unlocking

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

tuyop posted:

The downsides are: iTunes (especially on Windows), HDD space (iTunes requires that your backups are stored locally in the system drive unless you do a workaround with symbolic links), the time a backup/restore takes (the restore can take like three hours depending on your music), having to plug it in because wifi sync/backup has never worked properly.

Also I believe you also need to have all the apps on your phone downloaded and in iTunes or they won't be restored. At least that was my experience when trying to upgrade to my iPhone 6.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Apple > Amazon > everyone else

Anker > Apple > Amazon > cheap crap

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Kalman posted:

I've been happy with the Anker ones I have.

Same. I've had both Amazon cables I had (one as the replacement for the other) have the lightning jack fall apart, but the 5 or so Anker cables I have are all still going strong.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

fourwood posted:

Scheduled a reservation for Apple Store pickup on Friday night the 25th. I hope they hold it until I get back in town on Monday. :ohdear:

Apple posted:

Your reservation is valid for pickup only at the Apple Retail Store that you selected. If you do not pick up your selected item(s) by the designated date and time, your reservation will be cancelled and your item(s) will be returned to stock

Might be in stock but it'll be because they had stock for walk-ups; doubt they'll hold your reserved phone for more than an hour or two after your appointment. Which is good for me since since I too forgot I was traveling that weekend so will be abandoning my hometown reservation for one in the city I'll actually be in. Or at least good for the walk-up who wants my specific model at my store after me.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

zenintrude posted:

e: Is there a compelling reason to get the phone at an Apple Store rather than having it delivered directly to my house? Chose delivery, didn't occur to me to go into a store to deal with the masses.

If you want to use Apple's upgrade program.
If you don't want the phone delivered to the billing address of the wireless account.
If you want to trade in your old phone to Apple.
If you are scared of unboxing technology alone and want/need an Apple Store employee to hold your hand during the process.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

So about reservations: will I get my phone between the time listed or should I expect to wait hours for it? Don't wanna wait hours.

I too would expect about an hour absent major systems failures say 20-30 min waiting and 15-20 bringing out the phone and activating it. But guess what tends to happen on iPhone release day when Apple's activation servers get stressed harder than they have been before (or much much more likely, carrier activation systems)?

If you're east coast you can make an appointment at the very beginning of the day when the other timezones aren't offering the phone yet so activation load isn't terrible, or anywhere later in the day when the huge group of "must have it now" nerds already have been and gone. But we're all up right now talking about this and preordering a phone in the middle of the night so I think we all know what camp we fall in.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Anyone know when Apples new iCloud storage pricing goes into effect? I'm out of storage and don't want to pay the higher price if I don't have too.

If I was going to guess, I'd guess tomorrow with the release of the new iOS or 9/30 with El Capitan, with tomorrow being the more likely.

Verizon doesn't have any type of subsidy lock on their phones, right? I know they don't have a sim lock, but I'm trying to see if there's any reason I can't sell/trade-in my iPhone 6 with 1 year left on the contract that subsidized it and do the Apple Upgrade Program for a 6s (other than that I'll be paying extra line access to Verizon for another year plus paying Apple on a monthly basis).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

geera posted:

Don't run out and upgrade just to get Peace. It was pulled from the app store today.

Big Ad got to Marco and made him recant his ad-blocking ways! :tinfoil:

Ok, I understand "it should be more nuanced" and agree but Marco's not willing to update his app to provide that nuance?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Him and Gruber both use the same advertisement network and from what I hear and see they're actually one of the "good" ones that vet their banners and all that poo poo. Gruber tweeted about how blocking their network was morally indefensible or something and I guess got to him. Meh, I was really excited to use Peace next week cause ghostery is amazing but oh well.

Gruber claims on twitter that he tried to talk Marco out of pulling the plug. Probably arguing to put in more fine grained controls, but Marco wanted to step away from a lot of money for whatever reason. Or maybe something was bad with his Ghostery agreement as maduin suggested.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Any instruction on it? All I've seen is via iTunes and theres nothing there for me to select yet for a refund.

http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

Follow the directions for "How to get a refund using the web" if iTunes doesn't see it as paid for transaction yet.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why would you not just have it delivered by downtrodden and back broken delivery person?

I tend to prefer in-store pickup vs either having a delivery attempt fail because I'm at work or alternatively having an $800 box be left by my front door on iPhone release day. The fact that I have an Apple Store nearby in a state without sales tax is a decent reason as well.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Do you pay use tax on that you loving criminal?

Of course I do and I resent the implication! :colbert: Who doesn't always pay the use tax on goods purchased where the sales tax paid is less than what your state charges? And I'll be in another state traveling on Friday when I pick up my phone, one with higher sales tax anyways so it's not an issue. Which brings up a question…

For my iPhone upgrade I think I'm going to try to back up and restore from my laptop since iCloud is going to be slow as hell Friday and iCloud restores when you have a lot of apps is pretty slow in any case. Also means I can keep the gigs of podcasts I have in Downcast without redownloading them by toggling the backup switch in Downcast right before kicking off a local backup.

I basically need to make sure I have my apps downloaded to my laptop and that's it, right? Plus any media I want synced to the phone, but Match handles my music and I can live without my synced non-Apple-purchased video until I get home and can set up syncing with my iMac.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Plug in the phone and let iTunes do a full encrypted backup. Get your new phone, do a factory reset, plug it in, and the setup procedure will eventually prompt you if you want to restore a backup from iTunes.

Presto, all your old stuff, no fuss.

Tried an approach like this last year; after the iTunes restore I had no apps. I think they assume if you're doing an iTunes backup that you'll be syncing apps with iTunes as well. Tried twice before starting an iCloud restore where it spent the rest of the afternoon downloading apps.

I was just trying to see if anyone knew anyone other gotchas like that that I might hit when trying again this year.

Falco posted:

Doesn't this also bring over all of the "other" from your previous phone? I'm hoping to clear up some space by getting rid of the "other" bits.

The "other" is cruft that generally isn't backed up I believe.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nobody in the world ever used the stock Stocks app

Maybe you don't, but I do. Sorry about your lack of stock ownership. (Alternatively, congratulations on your complex portfolio requiring more in-depth trading desk apps).

Regarding closing apps, there's one I'll often do it to when done using it: Waze. It doesn't know when to let go in the background. I'll use it on the drive to the train station, get on the train,mans 10 minutes later announce to those nearby on the train with me "POLICE REPORTED AHEAD."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Toshimo posted:

My mother sent me a message this morning that her iPhone got an update and that her battery life has drastically dropped. She wants to know if there's a way to determine which of the built-in apps is causing this and if there's a way to disable/downgrade them. As I'm more Android side of the house, I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with this. I think she has an iPhone6 and she's on AT&T, if that helps.

If she just updated and wasn't plugged in for a while right after then it might be the OS reindexing the content of her phone that's eating her battery; there were some major expansions of the Spotlight search with iOS 9. That wouldn't be an ongoing issue, though.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Violator posted:

My folks have iPhone 4 they refuse to upgrade because they don't want to lose their unlimited data plan with Verizon. No matter how many times I explain they're only using about 500 megs a month they won't upgrade out of principle. Can they use Apple's iPhone Upgrade Plan to get new unlocked iPhone 6s's and just switch the SIM cards to keep their current plans? Can they request new SIMs from Verizon since I think the newer phones use a smaller SIM than the old ones?

The Verizon iPhone 4 has no SIM since it's CDMA and doesn't have LTE.

I suspect Apple will be able to provide a nanoSIM for Verizon and move your folks over in store since they require the phone to be on a major carrier for the Upgrade Program. If not, Verizon corporate stores will be able to provide a SIM and help with changing the phones without changing the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Kalman posted:

Has anyone bought via the iPhone upgrade program while they're still locked to a carrier due to a 6 purchased on 2 year subsidy? (Verizon if possible.). Curious if this is an option - it seems like it should be.

Didn't see anyone reply to this, but yes, I did it. I'm paying the $40/month subsidy line access price for my 6 for another year and I did the Apple upgrade plan on Friday for a 6s.