Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

interesting article re: sapphire cover glass. Likely yet another 6S Plus feature besides native "3x" resolution.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/11/sapphire-display-iphone-6-missed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

iPhone 6 is the one to get this time around.
The 6 Plus would have been an interesting proposition for some with what appears to be the "intended" spec, such as full 2208x1242, sapphire glass and a flush camera but they botched it in my eyes. 6S+ should fix all that.

I'd buy the iPhone 6 now or wait for the iPhone 6S+ if huge screens are your thing. Unless you are a ~social media influencer~, in which case you should get the iPhone 6 Plus in gold right away.

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like bendgate™ is a thing with the new iPhone 6 Plus.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785905

Some also reported that their regular iPhone 6s are bent from sitting down with the phone in the jeans pocket. I don’t have mine yet but I wonder if I should sell this one and buy a later one where this issue might be fixed (i.e. by machining a bit less material around the sim slot). :tinfoil:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

When will appending '-gate' stop being the go-to scandal name? How about we start using a different historical scandal to coin these names? Bend-hook or Tail-bend? Hello? Is this thing on?

I would prefer to call it the bananaphone scandal but all the other pages are already calling it bendgate so I went with that. :(

Admittedly I did some pretty stupid things with my iPhone 5 in my pocket but it never bent at all, so if the 6 is similarly rigid then I have to assume that the macrumors guys indeed ran trucks over their phones.

eames
May 9, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435310291"]
Is there a signal issue with iPhone 6s? ios8? I'm pretty sure both phones can access the same LTE frequencies. Why would I get decent service when he gets none?

No, the Motorola just has way better reception than the iPhones.

The reception in certain spots of my house was very bad with my old 5 and the 6 doesn't change anything about this.
I bought a cheap Motorola Moto G as a replacement for when I broke my iPhone 5 and it hat perfectly crystal clear signal everywhere. Even in the spots where my iPhones had no signal at all.
Unfortunately I couldn't get along with the android os and its apps at all so I sold it and used my old iPhone 4 (non-S with the antenna issue) and called people from my balcony. :D

Voice over WiFi can't come soon enough for me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Can somebody please set up a class-action lawsuit to demand a free apple branded fanny pack for every iPhone 6+ customer. :allears:

eames
May 9, 2009

I got caught too. No Touch ID, no service. Hope restoring via USB helps...

Curious to see how long it will take them to fix this gigantic fuckup.

eames
May 9, 2009

Tried a factory restore via USB and still no service.
Now where do I find build 12A365 for the iPhone 6...

eames
May 9, 2009

that's actually for the iPhone 6 Plus but thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Found a full list here:

url removed because reddit is dumb and that link appears to be right.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 24, 2014

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like the apple servers no longer sign 8.0.1 so don’t bother restoring with that build and download 12A365 manually right away.

Good luck downloading that because their CDN appears to be completely overloaded now. 200 kB/s on my 150 Mbit connection. Haha, what a giant clusterfuck.

oh heh. :suicide:

eames
May 9, 2009

Listen up, Ive pushed this update so the media would stop talking about bent iPhones. It worked. Because they are now bent iPods.
Still restoring.

eames
May 9, 2009

FWIW, restoring a 8.0.1 backup on a 8.0.0 device does not work. Wonder if I’ll be able to restore it when 8.0.2 is out or if the backup is completely shot, not that it matters for me because luckily I still have a backup from yesterday.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ok so the whole 8.0.1 dilemma made me restore before the "official" upgrade-downgrade fix was announced. Now my phone is acting rather strange and I think it is constantly filling up all available space with Photos from the old iPhoto.app picture merge function. :v:

I have never restored from zero fresh since the original iPhone so I think it might be a reasonable idea to start fresh, however there are some things I don’t want to lose e.g. my message history.
Apparently you can extract that form the old backup and import it to the backup of a fresh iPhone, restore that and end up with a "fresh" iPhone with the old message history.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03/06/how-to-back-up-restore-sms-messages/

I could also use this to selectively restore some app preferences. Is that generally a reasonable idea or will it just cause more problems than it is worth?

eames
May 9, 2009

:bravo:

(it's real: enter 34103377 in the searchbox here: https://jobs.apple.com/us/search)

eames
May 9, 2009

Since I can't find a dedicated iOS8 thread I'll ask here.
I'm trying to save a few pages to the reading list so I can view them offline while on a plane. It works but the articles always disappear from the list right after I first view them offline. Is there a way to keep the articles in the reading list until I manually delete them?

eames
May 9, 2009

Agronox posted:

Hit "show all" in the lower right corner. It will show you the articles you've "read" and you can delete them from there if you'd like.

Exactly what I was looking for. Not sure how I didn't notice that.
Thank you very much.

eames
May 9, 2009

How big of a security risk is this SMS forwarding feature?

I really like the idea but it just occurred to me that many banks and companies use SMS as a 2nd factor for authentification (OTP, mobileTAN, whatever it is called). A potential worm/virus could abuse that SMS forwarding feature, no? Is there maybe a blacklist feature so messages from certain contacts won't be forwarded? :tinfoil:

eames
May 9, 2009

re: bendgate

I’ve used my iPhone 6 for a good while now without abusing it but also without special paying attention to it (because it's nothing but a tool to me) and it's quite noticeably bent. It doesn't bother me at all but I'm still surprised it happened during — what I consider — normal use. Guess I'll put Apple Care+ on it while I still can so I can swap it if it gets too extreme.

eames
May 9, 2009

My provider finally enabled VoLTE / WiFi Calling and it's the best invention since the original iPhone. Coverage in my house was always terrible but now I have crystal clear connections.

I just wish there was an option to adjust the handover threshold because the phone signal is sometimes 3-4 3G dots so it drops WiFi calling, I pick my phone up to answer a call and the signal strength instantly drops to 0-1 but it can't roam from 3G -> WiFi without dropping the call. Airplane mode will have to do for now.

eames
May 9, 2009

A user discovered that the iOS Bose Connect app records your Podcast/Music listening history and transmits it to a marketing company in SF. More info in the headphone thread.

eames
May 9, 2009

:ssh:

eames
May 9, 2009

I think the AMD GPU SVP casually leaked a feature of the new iPhone, not that a depth/3D sensor would come as a huge surprise...

https://youtu.be/590h3XIUfHg?t=2826

eames
May 9, 2009

Sonos not mentioned on the Airplay 2 compatibility list. Ugh.

eames
May 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

does low power mode actually throttle the CPU? I guess what I'm asking is if my phone is on silent/DND and brightness is already turned down is it going to do anything?

Yes it does some magic like CPU frequency throttling. In the case of more recent iPhone CPUs it probably disables the high performance cores. It also disables background refreshes, minimizes cell data usage, etc.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is there a way to toggle WiFi calling via the control center? I used to turn off WiFi to avoid garbled calls when the WiFi is congested but that doesn't work in iOS 11.
And no, sensible QoS at the router sadly isn't an option here.

eames
May 9, 2009

I had problems with corroded lightning connector tabs and was about to throw all my affected cables away so the problem doesn't affect the port of my newer iPhone.

Turns out that putting a blob of ketchup on the affected connector for an hour completely cleaned up all visible corrosion.

I assume it's because of the vinegar? Are the little tabs pure copper or gold plated? If they're plated then they're not supposed to corrode in the first place, which means the plating of the affected tabs is damaged and this little trick is useless. :ohdear:

eames
May 9, 2009

Nuh-uh, not regretting my 8 Plus. I hope they'll release a huge X Plus with LCD at some point.

Apple Support Document posted:

If you look at an OLED display off-angle, you might notice slight shifts in color and hue. This is a characteristic of OLED and is normal behavior. With extended long-term use, OLED displays can also show slight visual changes. This is also expected behavior and can include “image persistence” or “burn-in,” where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We’ve engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208191

eames
May 9, 2009

dc3k posted:

I can’t tell if this animation issue is real or if I’m going crazy. The icons morph as I slide back and forth. It’s more apparent on the folders.

https://youtu.be/OuqremCl9Ho

edit: wtfwtwfwtf it's only happening on my phone if I watch the video on another device it isn't there
edit2: it's some sort of ghosting i guess? maybe it's an OLED thing. only happens on black backgrounds
edit3: only happening at very low brightness settings. happens at full brightness too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBvT3OK054
there we go. so weird.

I think that’s intended behavior to prevent screen burn-in with the OLED. Kind of neat. Older Plasmas would just shift the whole image by a pixel or two but this is much more effective, kind of like a screen saver.

eames
May 9, 2009

you can change it in the bluetooth device options

eames
May 9, 2009

the boring company

eames
May 9, 2009

funny how they announced the new Airpods with a wireless charging case a week before breaking this news

https://twitter.com/itsnicolenguyen/status/1110656926965063680

eames
May 9, 2009

Apparently people have bought new Airpod 2 manufactured as early as last September which is funny because my Airpod 1s are newer than that.

eames
May 9, 2009

Parts with this three camera design keep leaking, so often that I'm almost convinced that the renders are correct. I normally don't care what the rear of a phone looks like but man, this is shaping up to be one ugly phone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/04/2019-iphone-rear-chassis-triple-lens-camera/

eames
May 9, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Yup.

Reading between the lines it looks like some DRM bullshit

This may have something to do with this change:
Netflix is testing a cheap mobile-only subscription tier in some markets

eames
May 9, 2009

FCKGW posted:

There was a recent Twitter thread I read about how Emojis have had a profound effect on mobile security because whenever there's a new emoji update out the manufacturers who update the OS usually bundle them with security updates. This has had a positive effect because of emoji updates the users actually see a tangible benefit in regularly updating their phone now.

This is genius... „but if you don’t turn on autoupdate you won’t see the new emojis“.

As for jailbreaks, I had no idea they are still around. The risk outweighted the benefits around iOS 4 for me, I wouldn’t dream of running an outdated phone OS in this day and age.
There are still some limitations to iOS that can be annoying but bandwidths have long been at a point where remoting into another device (NAS, VPS, Computer, rPi, whatever) makes them a non-issue.

eames
May 9, 2009

iOS 13 September 19th
iOS 13.1 September 30th

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/10/apple-releasing-ios-13-1-on-september-30

eames
May 9, 2009

Housh posted:

Now I'm rethinking the size. Do I want the Pro or the Pro Max? The Pro Max is much heavier than the 7 Plus. That kinda sucks.

Im not looking for a new phone but I also noticed that the Pro Max is quite a bit heavier than my 8 Plus which still feels quite heavy to me after years of use.
I’m not going to complain about it because Apple finally sacrificed size and weight for longer battery life but that’s what would make me want to go with the smaller one (or non-Pro) if I had to upgrade for some reason.
Surprisingly even the iPhone 11 weighs 194g compared to the 202g of the 8 Plus.

eames
May 9, 2009

Rumor sites report that the new iPhones have hardware for wireless charging but the feature is disabled in software. Looking forward to see the ifixit teardown. This could explain a bit of the extra weight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonnydickson/status/1172352571807191040

eames
May 9, 2009

Space Racist posted:

I was curious if this was the case since it was canceled pretty late in the game, it sounded like.

people speculate that the feature will be unlocked with the launch of the new airpods. kind of makes sense to me. launching the feature when there's nothing you can charge with it wouldn't make sense, assuming it is Qi incompatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

does anybody happen to know how iOS 13's "Optimized Battery Charging" algorithm interacts with the official smart battery cases? Does it fill the case to 100% and leave the phone at 80% over night until just before it expects the disconnect, or both to 80%, or does it get disabled entirely?