Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, the process is proprietary to GT.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, it's also hellaciously expensive to open up that kind of precision manufacturing where the infrastructure's not up to snuff. Most of what's going into your China-assembled tech toys is not coming from mainland China; it's frequently just not feasible to produce there. The shortest hop most components are making is from Taiwan or (South) Korea, both of which have had decades of development to meet the tech industry's current needs.

The Gorilla Glass on everyone's current phones was shipped to China too.

My laptop, phone, and Moto 360 all come from China - are you saying that the labels are inaccurate? Those seem like pretty difficult things to assemble.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

But remember folks, only Android would have what amounts to an insta-root zero day in use by spying groups for three loving years.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Biodome posted:

With iPhone you need some government level Israeli poo poo to get hacked and it gets patched right away. With android it can be some poo poo you download on purpose. I'll take iPhone.

Yeah I can see how a security flaw that requires you to download random APKs from androidwarez.tk is worse than one that can be put on your phone by visiting a loving link in safari