Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so far the Space Gray seems the most popular this year, and ironically the iPhone 6 Gold will likely be the easiest to find.

If you want a 6+ on launch day, get in whatever line really early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The ATT trade in is a $200 trade in for the 4, 4S and 5 ($300 for the 5S), if you buy your phone on ATT.com or in store. Any preorders through ATT are locked in and guaranteed the trade in value regardless of phone delivery date. Promo ends Sept 30th (could be extended, who knows).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

Next is like a lease and there are laws about where leased objects can be sent. ATT is the group providing the lease, so Apple can't act as an intermediary there but they can if you buy in store?

I'm sure I'm explaining this all wrong, but that's how it was explained to me at the Apple store.

Well, it just took time to get whatever systems and legalese set for Apple to sell next. As of the 2nd week of September Apple can now sell next for existing customers. They cannot do new lines or do a next trade in or pay off. So can best buy and other places too.

There's a lot of confusion now though. The Apple reps at the store near me keep just telling people to do a two year contract "because it's better." I get the non commission thing, but you would think they would want to do the math on the plan options for the person so they get whichever one is cheaper.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 28, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

If my AT&T bill is currently $63 a month with 2gb of data, will Next make my bill higher or is it a better deal? I don't mind $200 for the new model upfront, more concerned over long term cost of Next. I'm looking at the base 16gb models of the 6 and 6 Plus.

Post your plan details here and I will answer them.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538927

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
RDio for the win. I sign in, click download over wifi, music re downloads over night (although this im time it was finicky and took two separate nights). It isn't perfect, but it's the least amount of effort I've found so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You can finally verify if an iPhone you are buying or selling is locked or not:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/avoid-buying-locked-iphones-with-apples-activation-lock-status-page/

This is long overdue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

You need a compatible SIM for NFC, but your 5s SIM will work for everything else.

Far as I know this isn't quite true. The basis is on this is that Isis (now Softcard) required a special SIM for use, but Apple so far has insisted they don't need the secure SIM for Apple pay. So unless something changes any SIM is good for a 6 or 6+, and yes they are free at ATTS stores (though you now have to activate them on the spot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

This is now the 7th or 8th time iTunes has felt the need to sync my whole library back onto my iPhone 6 since I got it. I don't fancy having to go through more repeats of wiping my entire phone, getting everything back on there, having it good for a few days before iTunes re-syncs all my music again leaving me with 30GB of "other" where my music library used to be.

Is there any 3rd party music management stuff for iPhones that works reliably?

Google play music? It won't be in the music app, but it's free and convenient cloud storage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have an iPhone 6 and a Mac Air '13 with Yosemite.

Does Handoffs only work when both screens are on? It sounded like a cool feature, but if they both have to stay on it just seems limited.

Example: On safari with my iPhone, place iPhone down, lock it (habit, i always do that), grab mac to switch to that. Nothing. Turn on the iPhone screen and the link pops up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

I'd like to meet the person who is unfamiliar with a smartphone in 2014.

Eh, I would agree with the previous post that having a stranger take a picture is always just a slight risk on your part. 9/10 times you are fine, but you are literally just trusting someone you don't know, and at end of the day you can't hold that person as liable for it (if they are nice you are very lucky).

I've worked in phones for 6 years, and as a "professional" I just hosed up a new in box 6+ for a customer when removing a case (thank god apple fixed it). Slightly different, I know, but even people who work with it every day are not perfect.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I get that Apple Pay will require my fingerprint at the register, but I figured it would be like 1 password and mint where I can require it to ask for my password everytime. Am I missing that somewhere? I just prefer that extra step so no one just pick up my phone and see my transactions.

This will be probably my third or fourth time trying mobile payments. Every time so far it works ok, and then I get that transaction where the machine doesn't grab it right, and the cashier never knows what to do because it isn't a magnetic strip credit card. Maybe this time it'll be better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

I should probably bite the bullet and get a new phone. I'm not sure what the problem is with this one but it's like whenever I add or remove an app I lose half a gig of space which isn't recoverable by Kruptos so I wind up having to do a resync, keeping my fingers crossed that the music'll copy over properly.

Edit: This is really frustrating. I just deleted two apps and an album and my available space went from 200 mg to 4 mg.

What phone carrier do you have and what is the condition of your iPhone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the issue I'm running into with Apple pay is it seems to be very generous on the range of NFC.

I work in a retail store with multiple terminals that support NFC. I have my iPhone and it just starts bringing up the Apple pay scree. Not every time, and I cannot get it to readily duplicate when I setup a test transaction, but I see it happen.

I went to the coffee kiosk in the middle of the mall, and Apple pay kept popping up even though I was 2-3 people in line.

Thankfully it didn't get my fingerprint so I didn't pay, but it actually could be easy to accidentally pay if you just happen to be about to unlock your phone. I ended up having to delete my cards from Apple pay because it's just not worth accidentally paying for a customers stuff and dealing with that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would like to use Apple pay, but I just don't run into it enough to jusitfy having it on my phone and accidentally paying for someone else's stuff at my store. I removed the card and I'll wait for a software update, see if that fixes it. I'm close to an Apple store if I ever want them to take a look at it, but it isn't that big of a thing yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

He also just mashes his finger onto his home button when it pops up to pay for something he's not buying.

No, but i do use my finger to unlock my phone, so if i'm distracted while unlocking i could accidentally authorize it. I'll skip over the back and forth stupid debate and let's just say hopefully mine is an anomaly and glad others are working well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

It takes about twice as long to authorize a payment as to unlock the phone. Don't worry, you won't actually buy someone else's thing.

I haven't actually used Apple Pay yet, so that is a good point to know. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Linx posted:

Unfortunately my nearest store is an hour and a half away or I'd probably have done that. Does this mean that they're just ordering them straight from the factory in China to meet demand?

Its just extremely hit or miss. I see the Apple store some days have the 6+ in various sizes (and 64GB 6's), and some days they don't get anything. The advantage to ordering is not having to check the Apple store for inventory every morning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

I'd like to get suggestions for a selling price for my iPhone 5, on Craigslist. 16GB, black, AT&T, jailbroken. It is also "like-new"; it is a refurbished unit from Apple that has never been used before by me. I don't see any physical defects on it, not even the slightest blemish.

Kinda hard to tell by looking what is on Craigslist now, because there's going to be underpriced later models, and overpriced 5 models. I was thinking $200. But do you think I could get more?

Maybe $250. If you are lucky $300, but that would be a stretch. You should definitely get at least $200 though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Not sure this is entirely correct. When Next was introduced my family plan took on no more additional charges and once we all switched over to next we now take a full discount of $125 per month. The $25 "extra" per month was already being paid since forever, and after the switch is now gone. And thanks to October's extra data everyone is saving a grip and has more data than ever before.

It's literally as simple as mileage will vary based on what the old vs new plan were. Some people saved, some people didn't.

And to also keep it simple: people on old plans should usually do two year contract (still able to do them), people on the new shared plans should do Next.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I would recommend you go to the AT&T thread and post your plan and have the people there help you through it. You might find yourself spending less money for the same or better service while not being stuck on a contract.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Can I just walk into an Apple Store and get an iPhone if I'm using ATT Next? Just want to make sure because the line is a mile long at any of the stores near me and I can't do personal pickup from Apple's website if I'm using ATT Next. Seems silly that I can't do that, but I can wait in line and perform the same transaction.

Let me clarify so you know whats possible.

If you are new to ATT, Apple cannot do Next.

If you already have ATT and Next, and you want to trade up your phone (which is trade in phone, takes care of balance, get new phone), Apple cannot do it. You can, however, buy out the rest of the phone balance and then get the phone from Apple. Just trade your phone in later or sell it on eBay for more.

If you already have ATT and don't have Next at all, Apple can upgrade you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Well. If that's the case it needs to loving stop because it didn't before... and it was fine. Now it's a serious contender for top of my battery usage list and I enacted with it 2 times for less than 30 seconds each. :p

Sonos just updated their app so maybe there is a bug. I def use it everyday myself and I'm not seeing that on my iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

So a few months in, how is everyone liking their iPhones 6? I have an upgrade available at the start of February, although I had gotten a warranty replacement iPhone 5 back in September and was planning to just hold out for the 6S. That said, I'm mulling going ahead and upgrading, both to get on a cheaper single-line plan and to maximize resale/trade value of my 5.

I have a 6 and I Love it. It's fast, screen is good for video, size is fine, battery life is fantastic. Decent amount of use today and I'm at 28% from 830am to 11:15pm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Are there any good transparent cases for the iphone6?

Look for case mate.

noirstronaut posted:

Do you have some magic battery?

I get solid battery life. Usually at 30% at end of the day. Granted I don't do much video streaming, but still find its fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Avocados posted:

For those with the leather cases, how do they handle drops? I'm still on Otterboxes as I'm absolutely horrified of screen breakage, but I'd like to enjoy sleekness again.

This will probably switch everyone from case chat to screen protector chat, but the biggest thing is won't protect is the screen, so the leather case and a glass screen protector would do pretty well. People have different opinions, but I don't notice the screen protector personally.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

My wife will be getting her iPhone 6 next week as we just switched to T-Mobile. She's been an Android user for years.

She uses a lot of the Google apps (GMail, Calendar, Docs), but other than that it's nothing special. She's mainly switching because of the camera being loving awesome when it takes pics of our toddler. We used a T-Mobile 5S for a week before we had to return it (was part of the Test Drive), and usage seemed ok, aside from some workflow changes.

Any newbie tips/tricks for helping with this transition?

Use sunrise or fantastical as the calendar app.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

My dad didn't set up Find my iPhone and he lost his phone. Can he get Verizon or Apple to tell him where it is?

Just FYI, unless he actively setup find my iPhone or a similar app, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RhoA posted:

Isn't it gorilla glass on the iPhone 5's? I didn't think that they would just break like that, especially when you were simply taking the phone apart. I'd honestly just try to sell it for parts and get yourself a new phone, seems like way too much trouble to try and fix it.

Phone parts, including glass, are all very very fragile while repairing. I used to do some basic repair work and I just do not miss it at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onion Vanguard posted:

No, I didn't. It wasn't working before I changed the charging port otherwise I wouldn't have done so. Read properly before you start chatting poo poo.

No, he's still correct, if your fix for a part not working on an iPhone is to swap it yourself, you are always doing it at the risk that it just bricks the whole phone. Because now your phone is still not working and Apple will tell you to gently caress off since you opened your phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mnemosyne posted:

What's the best way to buy a used iPhone and not get screwed?

I'm an android user who has never used or purchased an iPhone so I don't know what I need to look out for. I just got foster kids, who came to me already owning older iPhones, but they won't work on our carrier, so I need to replace at least one of them. I'm looking for an iPhone 5 or up that works with TMobile.

Just to add: my advice would be the get a 5S or up. The iPhone 5 has different bands depending on the carrier it was released for, hence the confusion on what you would get. The 5S was the first iPhone to be cross compatible. Save yourself a headache, it also avoid you potentially getting a 5 with a not great battery as well.

You still need to make sure it is clear on iCloud, clear on Tmobile, and unlocked for Tmobile use (IE if it was an ATT phone, needs to be unlocked). Everyone is correct, stay away from sprint phones. The simple way to look at it here is buy a Tmobile iPhone 5S, or a verizon iPhone 5S.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Does anyone have an actually free itunes backup browser suggestion?
Wifes iphone wasnt synced to icloud and has now taken a poo poo the old iphone we are using won't restore the backup because its too old.

We aren't going Apple with the replacement so waiting for the new phone to arrive won't change the backup situation.

You won't get all the info, but you can get contacts from iCloud.com which is usually enough to get someone to hold out while waiting for a replacement phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lokee posted:

Just got a new 6 today since the charging port on my 5s finally fully broke, ran out of the AT&T store before they could throw any accessories/poo poo tablets at me. Tempered glass protectors seem to be a big deal right now, go with screenguardz or is there a more cost effective alternative? Also I have no idea what case to go with; I just want something that wont turn the drat phone into a malignant-looking bulge on the side of my leg.

I've had good experience with both Bodyguardz and Zagg glass screen protectors. Overall, they all seem to do the same effect. Would recommend one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Spec case + glass screen protector has worked for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, how do glass screen protectors actually protect the screen from breaking? Does all of the energy just get transferred to the very top layer (the protector) whenever it's dropped or something like that?

It's just an extra layer. I've seen a ton of phones come back where the front protector is cracked, actual one is fine. Whether it's because the glass screen protectors are lower quality or because it helps, I couldn't say.

But yeah, as others have said, it def is not guaranteed. I also see a lot of the flip side, where both are cracked. Personally, it's cheap enough and doesn't bother me using the phone at all, so I would always recommend it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the iPhone update for 8.4 simply won't go through OTA for me. I tried multiple wifi networks, didn't try through my computer yet. Anyone else run into this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
People here have just been posting similar things, by FYI if you got a 6+ between launch and December 2014, Apple may replace it due to faulty camera:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/08/apple-launches-replacement-program-for-faulty-iphone-6-plus-cameras/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Will a Verizon phone work on ATT? Or are there LTE band restrictions that will get me?

Specific Answer:

All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked.

For iPhones specifically: the iPhone 5S (and 5C) and newer has all the same bands in it, so it would work fine with ATT.

The Verizon iPhone 5 does not have all the correct bands, so it would work on ATT, but no LTE.

Since there is no reason to be buying a 5 now a days, you should be fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thank you.

One follow-up question: I am the one currently on ATT. My work has 3G repeaters inside the building, so I don't get LTE when I'm here. If I get a Verizon phone, will it also be able to use ATT's 3G bands?

And just to clear up the why-the-hell-are-you-buying-a-Verizon-phone question, my girlfriend is on Verizon. She has a piece of poo poo 4S with a dying battery and needs a new one badly. I'd buy a 6S using her Verizon account, then give her my 6 and do the SIM swapping. I am on ATT unlimited data, so I still have to wait 2 years to upgrade my line.

So I guess my ATT 6 would have to work on Verizon, and the Verizon 6S would have to work on ATT.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't check this thread for a day or two.

So there are a few different things that just make this slightly complicated for you:

1a. When the Verizon phone has an ATT SIM, it basically ceases to be a Verizon phone. It just works on ATT's network, so you should expect ATT network performance as usual.

1b. As an aside, ATT and Verizon use different 3G everything, the newer iPhones just happen to have both bands, which is why they can work on both networks. Basically, the only thing ATT and Verizon have that is impossible is LTE. That's good for the future, but LTE only phones are still just not anytime soon.

2. The Verizon 6S would be fine on ATT. Point #3b is an issue.

3a. So, until a month ago, Verizon just didn't take non Verizon phones. You were just poo poo out of luck. What's changed is that Verizon now takes most iPhone 6 and 6+ models (some of the European ones won't provision for whatever reason). So that WOULD mean your 6 will work on your girlfriend's Verizon account. Except that....

3b. Your iPhone is most certainly locked to ATT. Nothing Verizon can do about it, it just will only accept an ATT SIM. ATT does unlock phones, which would solve your issue. However, they almost definitely will not unlock your phone until your two year contract is over. the phone has "to be paid off" for them to unlock it.

So basically, I think you're hosed on your phone swapping plan. On the upside, only having an iPhone 6 isn't the worst thing in the world, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thank you this made total sense.

I'll probably just have her switch to ATT if she wants one then, just to avoid all the hassle. I totally forgot about the carrier lock on ATT phones. Bummer.

Not to keep raining on your parade, but two things if you do that:

1. ATT's system (at least at Corp retail) doesn't allow for grandfathered plans to change from individual to family plans. So the question is how many lines do you have currently? If the answer is "One," then while you can be under one name/billing account, you can't make a family plan. Not the end of the world, but here is what you would look at:

Your line: individual unlimited: $80-90 depending on your text plan. Whatever you are paying now.

Her line: $70 for 2GB or $90 for 5GB, plus cost of phone on two year contract.

Two line family plans have been pretty consistent at around $160-180, so you would be paying a slight premium for two lines keeping your unlimited, but probably similar to one line on ATT, one line on Verizon currently.

I guess it is possible phone care does have the ability to generate a grandfathered family plan from what you have, but i would give it a roll of the dice at best.

2. ATT will Axe contracts sooner rather than later. Hasn't happened yet, but i was hearing rumblings when i left the company last month.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it sucks paying like $4 per month for the life of a device I use literally every day that will also increase resale value by roughly the difference in cost.

Eh, I get why Apple keeps having the base model be 16GB ($$$$$) but that it's still a bummer they don't throw a bone to customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I was going to buy one tonight. I have no interest in the Next stuff. So just add a line using my credentials... then call them/go into ATT store to port when the phone comes?

Looks like the store is down already, so I can't see what questions it'll ask me.

Yeah I was going to buy one tonight. I have no interest in the Next stuff. So just add a line using my credentials... then call them/go into ATT store to port when the phone comes?

Looks like the store is down already, so I can't see what questions it'll ask me.

ATT can port the number later, they just grumble and don't like doing it. They theoretically can charge you for a number change, but that's a fee that usually gets waived because it isn't part of any metrics they track. Plus it would be absurd to charge.

So yeah, I think actually submitting a port on iPhone preorder day is a bad idea, so you have the right idea of add a line with new number, fix everything on the back end later.