Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

limekle posted:

Going from 5S to 6S... hopefully my hands will adapt to the bigger size. I really, really like the size of the 5S. :ohdear:

I have small dainty hands which has kept me on the 5s until now. I think the rubber case is a must for grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I of course couldn't remember my god drat apple id password once I finally got through to the store, but it let me checkout as guest at least. Who needs 256GB of local storage? jesus christ what are you putting on these phones?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Endless Mike posted:

Well, I have an almost-nice 68.9 GB used on my 128 GB phone, so while I don't need 256 GB, 64 GB would probably be stretching it. Granted, I could pretty easily get by without the nearly 30 GB of music it's currently stored, but eh, it's only another couple dollars on my Verizon plan, so it's not that big a deal. Were there a 128 GB option, I would have gotten that, though.

I guess that makes sense if you're storing a poo poo ton of music. I'm currently using 25gb of my 64gb 6s, but I rely on Spotify steaming for all music.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I can't believe I stayed up until midnight to pre-order. I just sauntered onto t-mobile's site and pre-ordered another one, except this time it takes into account my trade-in value. I need two. I have two hands.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I've always restored everything and never had a problem, but ideally i'd like to just restore text/contact/phone history.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So how is it bart, good?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Upgrading to the X from a 6s is god damned amazing. I was worried the Face ID would suck when the phone is in the car cradle but it works perfectly even in pitch black.

My only complaint is the slight ghosting on text when scrolling, but picking up the 6s now feels like a joke so there’s no going back!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This year’s new patina will be the tasteful yellowing of the clear case.

2 years old :getin:

:yeah:

I need a little matrix showing me what I lose by going with the mini vs regular 12 vs 12 pro.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also for the “no charger brick” argument, like I’m sure Apple has done their research and figured that most people who are gonna be buying a 12 already have iPhones, meaning they already have USB to Lightning cables already. Those still work perfectly fine to charge the iPhones. It’ll just be slower, but they work. So the “how am I going to charge my new iPhone??” argument is kinda silly.

Still, I think they should have included the USB-C brick for the 12 and stopped including it for the next models since it’s true that most people don’t have a USB-C brick.

Just go to their website and use the iPhone comparison tool.

Just found that, thanks. So I'm pretty bummed the telephoto action only comes with the largest max model which I definitely do not want. It's also the only one with Lidar which is pretty lame

-Edit: I forgot how many versions of this drat phone there are. Telephoto and Lidar are on both the Pro and Pro max. So that's cool.

The pro is 6.66 oz . :getin:

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 13, 2020

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The only product in my house that supports USB-C is somehow a Nintendo product :wtc:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It seems Tmo was left out of the fun this round. Is there any compelling reason to jump ship to ATT or Verizon?

I'm also a bit annoyed the Pro has some bushleague blue color instead of the proper darker blue the regular 12 gets :mad:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

~Coxy posted:

As someone who has a purple car, this would be hot.

Has there ever been a purple iPhone option? I hate how Apple is pulling the stupid change color availability based on nothing?. I would have liked a new 12pro in green. But that was last years color so it can’t be offered again!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Duckman2008 posted:

It legit is still worth going back and watching the original iPhone keynote.

It’s literally a crowd watching a paradigm shift in real time. When Steve does the pinch to zoom, there’s a literal gasp from the audience.

I still remember the first time I saw this in person and I was loving blown away. It was so smoooth, like there wasn’t anything at that level anywhere.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ratbert90 posted:

I went with the 12 pro in Blue. It’s the best option.

The apple homepage at one point was showing off the new gold color and it looked amazing! And then you pick it in the checkout section of the site and it looked like hot garbage. I got the blue as well. The real question is what color case/phone combo is everyone going? I'm trying the blue/green combo.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I got my 12pro apple case in the mail today. It's a bit larger and thicker than my X which is disappointing. Might have to go with the mini after all, we'll see if that extra lens is worth thhe trade off.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I just noticed yesterday that the clock app icon is animated. Competition with android is subtle but real.

Pretty sure it’s done that for years now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

prom candy posted:

iPhone 12 pro is here, doesn't feel significantly bigger than my iPhone 8. Really love the flat sides like back on the iPhone 5. Is anyone else thinking about running caseless? I always used a case with the 6 and 8 because they felt slippery as hell in hand but this new one is pretty easy to hold.

Going caseless with my X is why I can’t trade it in anywhere: giant glass cracks on the back :(

Still waiting on mine to be delivered but I’m guessing the phone still doesn’t sit flush because of the camera bumps right? That alone to me makes the case worthwhile.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Krispy Wafer posted:

It doesn’t sit flush even with a case. My Spigen liquid clear case surprised me and arrived today and the lip around the camera square means it does not lay flat. A thicker case probably would, but thinner cases can’t overcome dat bump. Also clear cases are a bust for the gold color. The bumper mutes the colors significantly, even the shiny steel band. My phone looks off-white or at best a cream color.

Just got the pro. I loving love the square design, they should have never changed it.

It sits perfectly flush with my case, but I have the official Apple silicon case (I really like the dark green)

It seems stuck on confirming my phone number, but my old X says its still transferring data so who knows. I'm already kind of wishing I held out for the mini, but I'll probably just get used to it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

AdmiralViscen posted:

I went for this new (for me) device to device transfer instead of iCloud since I figured it’d be faster and more complete, but this is saying 3 hours and apparently it sits on a white screen the whole time and neither phone can be used. Do people generally use this feature? My last iPad restore did not take this long.

I just used it and it took 5 minutes. Do you have GBs of video saved maybe?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Holy poo poo I took the apple case off and when I put it back on there was an animation and sound indicating: 1. I just attached a magnetic case and 2. Correctly showed the color of the case! Completely unnecessary and amazing :D

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zwille posted:

I didn’t have the 11 but going from the X to the 12 Pro the night mode is loving amazing. I took several pictures in the dark (like can’t see dark) and they came out maybe a little noisy and with high contrast but still leagues better and extremely crisp.

The wide shot lens also is hella cool, especially for indoors pictures where you can’t get far away but want to get everything in the picture.

Selfie cam isn’t overwhelmingly good but it also seems to have a kind of wide lens so that’s nice too.

Yeah the wide angle and low light performance is loving great! I also realize there is absolutely no lag when switching between a ton of different apps. Not like it was a big deal on the X, but it's def. better.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The lack of imessage on pc really sucks rear end. It just pushed me to get my friends on Signal (which has a pc client) so I guess it was a good thing after all!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jose Valasquez posted:

I miss 3D touch, gboard let you move your cursor from the keyboard by 3D touching and dragging and now without it fixing typos is a huge pain in the rear end :smith:

Edit: I guess you can do something similar by swiping back and forth on the space bar, but I still miss the 3D touch version

This seems to be an arbitrary limitation set by Apple...I think. The swiftkey keyboard also does not let you scrub through your text input by force touching and moving your finger in any direction, but they do allow you to scrub left/right. This means you can't easily jump to the top of a sentence unless you use the ~official~ keyboard.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m convinced MagSafe is Apple way of eliminating those stupid pop socket things.

I thought they were stupid as hell until my friend convinced me to try one. It's the greatest thing ever for watching videos in bed. It also stopped me from using wireless charging completely on my X. if I don't return this 12pro for a mini I might need one again...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Out of the blue my 12pro sounds like absolute rear end when playing Spotify via usb cable to CarPlay. Bluetooth sounds normal. I noticed a red mic icon was on so I dug thru all settings and disabled any Siri - Spotify stuff I could find, rebooted/reseated the cable with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? It’s driving me insane :(

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Charles posted:

Try a different cable -- sometimes they're troublesome with Carplay.

Good idea! Unfortunately didn’t help. I tried deleting my phone from the car completely and resycing but audio still only plays properly over BT. It feels like it’s something the car is doing to ensure hey Siri works. Gonna have to find some VW forums to figure this poo poo out 😫

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MarcusSA posted:

The search being right there is legit kinda annoying.

It just seems so out of place

Worth noting that the little search icon still acts like a quick scrub shortcut between your home screens if you drag your finger over it.