Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Feenix posted:

Dummy question, I'm sorry:

This will be the first time I ever get Applecare Plus. Is it really just no questions asked replacements? (up to twice?)

I have a grabby 22 month old and I've already caught my 6+ in mid air once.

What restrictions, if any, are there that I should know about?

Accidental damage swaps are $79 each, with no real restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

A question about the functionality of the phone?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If the app has gone "full screen" where it hides the status bar (most games) you have to swipe twice, once to bring up a little arrow and the second time to show control center. For what it's worth, it only takes one swipe from the app switcher screen.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

xzzy posted:

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

The point was to coordinate all the different devices that might use and/or generate data related to Health. Just like HomeKit's purpose is to coordinate all the different devices that might use and/or generate data related to Home, except there isn't an Apple Home app. So companies would use HealthKit to take care of integration because the only alternative on iOS is to manually support every other device/app you wanted to work with.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Militree posted:

Welp, I took my iPhone back to the T-Mobile store today. They didn't have any to switch out so they just gave me a refund. I'll be getting a dumb phone to hold me over, but chances are I'll be switching back to Android. You had me for 10 days, Apple. I was so excited.

If it's quality you're after, I highly suggest the OnePlus One.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Oh no, we are not going to earnestly discuss android phones in the iPhone thread when the Android thread is in the same subforum. Serious advice: those problems you mentioned were in no way normal or acceptable. While you have probably already decided to go back to Android, if you had gotten a replacement it wouldn't have had any of those problems.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have never had any of those issues, so that cancels out your anecdote :smug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I think it's as much iOS as the hardware. I was back on my 5 for a bit and it struck me just how smooth even it was in most places. I had a hard time finding an app which stuttered on the 5 but not the 6.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Oh no, people are having different experiences than I am and posting about them. Obviously it must be because they're insecure rather than just doing exactly what I'm doing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Feenix posted:

Weird! I only have stock health app and charge only nightly and there are no data points re: sleep in my health app. Sure you don't have some hidden third party app collecting this?

Yeah, I don't see this either. As far as I can tell, the only things Health can track without any help from hardware or software are steps, flights climbed (on the 6) and overall walking distance.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

There is no way to make or obtain any dynamic wallpapers, I'm pretty sure. It's odd that they didn't at least make a few more for iOS 8, what's there are exactly what was there in iOS 7.

e: without a jailbreak.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I know this sounds dumb, but is the 5s still a viable, decent choice? I've had a Galaxy for a while and one of the things that annoyed me was the size (among other Android wonkiness). My wife has an iPhone 5 and the form factor seems like it would be much better for what I'm looking for. I'd just hate to buy a phone on a 2 year contract that I'm going to regret 6 months down the line.

From the research I've done, the 5s still seems like a really good phone even though it doesn't have the new hotness of the 6 and 6+. I'm just trying to gather some real world opinions on the idea.

The 5s still has a good two years left, I'd say. Hardware wise the 6 is only about 50% faster (which isn't a lot when you consider that 5s was twice as fast as the 5) and is on the favorable side of the 64-bit transition. Something I've been thinking about adding is a list of what you get by upgrading, but the only things you're missing from the 5s that the 6 has are the larger screen, NFC for Apple Pay, an incrementally better camera, and VoLTE support (I believe.) If none of those are must haves, then go for it.

For what it's worth, my 5 still feels extremely responsive; I upgraded to the 6 for some of the new features but I wouldn't have minded sticking with my 5 for longer of I hadn't been able to upgrade.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Please don't confuse scratches in the fingerprint resistant coating for scratches in the glass itself.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

And the solution is to slap a cheap, even easier to scratch layer of plastic over the top?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Xabi posted:

People picking up a rough estimate shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility IMO.

Yes, as long as by "people" you mean "Apple supply chain managers" because actual supply data is likely confidential information. We don't have that information so the best guess is "when you see your store has them in stock."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Reason posted:

Thanks guys! But I'm looking for a way to add a specific number that I didn't call at a specific time when I didn't call so I can be like, "Hey look, I called you!"

There is no way to do this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Do you use iCloud backups? You could restore from one of those.

How exactly is iTunes acting up?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

They're the exact same chargers that come with the 6 (and 6+?).

How long have they been shipping those? I think I remember the first iPhone having a larger, iPad-like wall wart, but I only started owning iPhones with the 5 and the iPod touch only came with a cable.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The first one had the iPad-style (or the iPad has a 1G iPhone style, really) plug, as seen here (4th image) http://arstechnica.com/apple/2007/07/iphone-review/

I was curious when exactly they switched over.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Honestly I would recommend putting grip tape on your phone, at least one poster in the Android thread has used this technique for all his phones.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

McDonald's is literally poison.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I've never gotten anything other than "Ok, 5 minutes and counting." What locale/how are you asking for the timer?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I don't see that behavior. My iPad and iPhone were sitting right next to each other when I got a two-factor auth text, and both screens lit up within a few seconds of each other.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I wonder how much time per day they spend looking up articles and videos about a phone they don't like so they can make sure everyone knows what their opinion of the phone is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

From what I can tell, it's partly a view that Apple and their users are smug hipsters, but a bunch of it appears to come from the idea that Android is for Smart People who know that Android is the platform for Real Work and iOS is a walled garden for children and old people, and a feeling that they need to make sure everyone knows that they are a Smart Person.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 22, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

You need NFC, so it will work natively with the 6/6+ and with the 5/5s paired with an Apple Watch

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

They never have. You might be thinking of iCloud Drive which is supported on Windows.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

THEIRS is likely pulled into a HIGH END VIDEO MASTERING SUITE while OURS is COMPRESSED TO HELL ON YOUTUBE.

I always laugh when they say "these photos were taken with an iPhone" because you just know that the phone was the only non-professional aspect of it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah, it's not really any one thing they have that we don't, they control absolutely everything, master it in FCP, have trained video technicians who know exactly what to look for and how to mitigate imperfections, and can pick and choose what footage they show.

I mean, it's cool that a cell phone can be a part of a professional video workflow and not hold everything up, but there's definitely a lot more effort put into 5 seconds of promo than what normal people will do with their own videos.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I tried it at Panera and nothing happened. My phone said it worked but the POS never responded so I had to slide my card.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Always my left, and I'm left handed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yamdankee posted:

I used to use Google Voice, so Continuity is awesome. There is still currently no way to SMS or iMessage through Windows or browser-based, right?

No.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

This seems pretty similar to Ultraviolet. Hopefully it stays as obscure as that is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Yeah the noise only seems to come from older devices in my experience; I have a Verizon 6 that makes noise come out of my old rear end Rolm speakerphone at work, but nowhere else.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I miss Onyx/Slate.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bummey posted:

That's super dumb.

It really, truly isn't.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

Was there some way to get Siri to stop being cutesy? My latest one was after sending a text, it said "And off to the cloud it goes..."

Someone said if you say "that's not funny" after an answer like that it goes back to being normal. To be honest though I have no idea what causes it to flip over, it's always been very straightforward to me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm going to blank the op and tell everyone to get a OnePlus One

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

flosofl posted:

That does look like a nice phone. If any phone could seduce me away, it would be that one.

Follow your dreams

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/30/irl-oneplus-one/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

What's frustrating is how the industry has glommed onto microSD as the one and true format. Ideally my phone would also accept compactflash, full-size SD, and a USB port for jump drives at minimum. There's no downside to including more options to meet more people's needs.