Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is Glyde generally as reputable as Swappa? Glyde's prices seem to be consistently lower (at least on the 5S's I've been looking at) but their minimal descriptions aren't as helpful as those on Swappa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm buying a used iphone with remaining Applecare- I don't need to do anything to transfer the Applecare, right?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a way to play music while listening to a podcast without jailbreaking? I need as many audio layers as I can get. I usually use Downcast if that helps at all.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just hope they maintain a variety of sizes because now that I'm cucked by the big black dick of the 6s I can't go back to a little girly man screen.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would love an iPhone 5 sized phone. This 6s, the bigger screen is nice sure but it cramps my hands after holding it one handed for a while.

Masturbate faster?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now that I've started reselling my iPhones on Swappa I'll never go without a screen protector. It just isn't worth the drop in resale value that scratches cause.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How is the Amazon prime music app? Anyone tried it? I'm expecting it to suck but I'm not going to subscribe to Apple Music or Spotify so if it's half decent then I guess it'll do.

E- just started checking it out and it seems very hit or miss.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2015

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is the ability to auto select a whole paragraph of text gone now? It used to be a two finger tap or something.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd kill for a music player that doesn't get paused/muted by any other apps. I know it's possible without jailbreaking because Sleep Genius can play through YouTube videos. Wish I knew something about making apps because arrrrrghghgh :rant:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Since we're in the subject, how do you get Overcast to sort by download date instead of alphabetically?

For example Downcast puts the podcast with the most recent episode up top and tells me when it updated:

Instead of this view on overcast which doesn't tell me much except for an alphabetized list of the podcasts I subscribe to

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

E- looks like I have to do it with a playlist, hosed up if true

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 8, 2015

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm looking for a recommendation on a durable portable battery that will get me at least 2 full charges on an iPhone 6 Plus.

I haven't bought one in a while and I have never heard of brands like Jackery and Lumsing. The last one I owned was a RAVPower which developed loose jacks pretty quickly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I use chrome when I want to see the tabs I have open on my desktop.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't. I've had issues with my grip causing wanted touches to be unregistered on the 6/7.

Me neither, my girlfriend has a galaxy edge 7 and it's a loving pain in the rear end. I can hardly touch that thing without dumb stuff happening, it's the worst design. And yeah I do need a raised edge case, my phone takes too much abuse at work to go caseless.

Also since I'm already bitching, the autocapitalization in autocorrect sucks rear end. If it mistakenly decides I'm typing a proper noun, then I delete to retype the word, DON'T KEEP THE FIRST LETTER CAPITALIZED WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO MEEEEEE :arghfist::bang:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xzzy posted:

iOS does have logic to keep track of what audio app you typically use when attached to a bluetooth audio device so it eventually learns to default to that app, which is the other half of the magic.

The only logic I see is that it wants to make me use music.app, which I never ever use except for when I connect to my girlfriends car and the one album I have on music.app starts playing the same goddamn song.

It's worth it for humor value but I use a lot of music apps and it never goes to any of them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Endless Mike posted:

It's whatever they want it to be since it's proprietary. Other than physical limitations of the cable, there's functionally no reason they can't be USB 3.1 spec.

Overpriced cables and lack of headphone jack make me want to bitchily storm off to android when I finally upgrade from my 6 but my girlfriends Samsung edge pisses me off constantly, I don't know what to do

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

jawbroken posted:

I would guess, but don't know, that unused voice files would be automatically deleted when you're low on space, like other caches.

God I hope this is the case, I got into trying out a bunch of dumb voices :ohdear:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mine does that in the cold too, doesn't need to be below freezing and it can shut down at almost any battery level. If I'm going to use my phone outside at all I pretty much have to keep an external battery with me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Josh Lyman posted:

Unironically, my laptop use is down like 99% since getting a 6.

Me too but with a 6 plus, I don't think I can go back to a smaller phone.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GoldfishStew posted:

You can't sit on your phone but you should be able to put it in your pocket and not have it bend.

Are you keeping it in your back pocket? I see people do that but it seems to be asking for trouble to me, I wouldn't risk it. Aside from frying my balls with radiation I've never had a problem with a 6+ in my front pocket.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sometimes in safari I'll click on a google link and it takes me to what I think is a google cached version of the page, I usually only notice it if I copy the URL and it's a google address.

Like I just googled "best yarlers" and clicked on the first link, which took me to this url: https://www.google.com/amp/www.metalsucks.net/2013/12/12/top-ten-yarlers-time/amp/

There's a little link button up top which I can click to go to the actual site, but why is it doing that rather than going to the site directly?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

All I remember was Nextel users shouting into their phones like it was a tin can on a string.

Star Tac was the real sweet poo poo, I wish I kept one of mine.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gah now I don't want to update, my 6's battery is all over the map these days. I've been blaming cold weather but that excuse is going away :(

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought I could go without a screen protector but a sharp new key left me with a bunch of little scratches. Not a big deal for me but I'm planning on reselling so that doesn't help.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I'm getting sick of all of her not funny quips. Yeah I know 6am is early; you've told me that every time I asked. No I don't agree that 80+ weather is nice but okay. No I don't agree that 70 degrees is "burr!" but okay.

Siri does that? I don't use it a lot but haven't noticed it when I've checked the weather or set alarms.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How do you make it start wisecracking? Maybe I'd use it for more than alarms.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Last year I used a 3GS for a bit while waiting for a new phone to arrive. Worked pretty well actually.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maybe one of you can solve a workplace debate:

Most of us on this job have iPhones but a few have android. If someone iMessages a video shot on an iPhone to one or more other iPhones it comes through in decent resolution. If there's one android in the group it sends as a text and it comes through crappy for everyone.

The android people are saying that's a dick move on apple's part. Isn't it just a limitation or normal texting? Does android to android video get compressed to poo poo too?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got a battery done by some shady place for $30 and it's actually holding up well. Wouldn't have done it if the phone wasn't as old as it is but so far so good

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I sold an iPhone a couple years back and used a 3GS while I waited for my new one to show up. It actually worked pretty well, surprisingly. I've still got it in case of emergency.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I kinda liked using an old 3GS because they felt so drat good in the hand. It was a nice blast from the past for a few days.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm on cricket too and hoped to get a good price on a 7 plus but they're still like 650+ for a decent one on swappa. Oh well could be worse I guess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:siren: ProTube has been removed from the App Store 👿👿👿 :siren:

loving gently caress

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do cases work well with edge to edge screens? My phone takes a fair amount of abuse at work so I kind of need one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think we'll be fine since it seems like the iPhone X won't do the curved-screen thing that those Samsungs do, just have very tiny bezels. Which tbh is for the best because Android apps never seem to be designed for curved screens and the edges of the app just melt off to the sides like a Salvador Dali painting.

Thank god, using an edge 7 sucks poo poo

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm guessing I should wait a little before updating my 6 plus, isn't that usually the conventional wisdom with older phones? Or should I not be a bitch and just go for it asap

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Weedle posted:

The refurbished 6S has also dropped in price; it's now $429 for a 64GB 6S and $509 for a 64GB 6S Plus, which is a pretty great deal if you do want a bigger phone.

Did they say anything about refurbished 7's?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm finally getting around to using Bluetooth headphones and a headset on my old 6 plus, and it's great going wireless except for the frequent audio dropouts which kind of sucks poo poo really. My phone is in my pocket and doesn't have a metal case or anything obstructing it.

Does Bluetooth audio get better than that or does it just often sound like a broken headphone jack?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Evis posted:

It depends on how much wireless interference there is. I've had issues with it in my backyard, but everywhere else is fine. I assume that means one of my neighbours is running their microwave 24/7 and it's pointing at the back yard.

Ugh I guess I'm hosed then because there seems to be a ton of interference at work and I get it a lot just walking around in NYC too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pivo posted:

Have you tried different Bluetooth headphones? I can tell you it's not normal to lose connection to a phone in your pocket, even in a very busy city. That is something that happens to very cheap, bargain basement Bluetooth headphones.

I tired some cheapo headphones but they weren't worse than my Plantronics headset which isn't fancy but not bargain basement. My friend at work just got some expensive Bose noise cancelling headphones so I asked if he's been having better luck than me and he reported having a fair amount of audio dropouts too. I never lose connection completely but those little bits of silence are anointing as hell. Maybe I'll try the w2 models the other guy mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bronin posted:

Welp, ok. I guess I didn’t think of glorious US of A when I made that post. Europe wins again

Europe’s battle against open space has been a success